Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You're better off without it. poo poo was like trying to chew cardboard-flavoured cement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

steinrokkan posted:

You gotta straight up eat the lettuce, though

No that will give you bread terrors for sure

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Get a head of cabbage, costs nothing, lasts forever, much more tasty & satisfying to eat than lettuce

Plus it’s fun to peel and tear off those layers

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I love salad without dressing

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The fighting-type Pokemon Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee, which do martial-arts-style moves, were named after Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee, respectively.

(Hitmontop, on the other hand, was named because it spins around on its head like a top, as far as I can tell.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Norah Jones is half-Indian. Her father is Ravi Shankar, who introduced George Harrison to Indian music.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Norah Jones is half-Indian. Her father is Ravi Shankar, who introduced George Harrison to Indian music.

So it's impossible to say if Ravi Shankar was good or bad.

On topic: I do not, in fact, have the first book in the "Game of Thrones" saga waiting to be read, as I thought. I have the first book of the "Riftwar" saga, and itäs by Raymond Feist, not the dude who wrote Game of Thrones.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sir Lemming posted:

I only happened to find this out by chance when I got the album "Breathing Underwater" by her half-sister Anoushka Shankar and thought it seemed random that she was one of the guest artists (along with Ravi and others).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The band Thompson Twins is named after Dupont and Dupond (Thomson and Thompson in English editions). I don't feel bad for not getting it as they are not twins or even related (and I didn't know what they were called in English; in Finnish they're called Urpo and Jurpo).

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Dunno what versions you’ve been reading since they’re most certainly Dupont and Dupond in the Finnish translations

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a cyborg mug posted:

Dunno what versions you’ve been reading since they’re most certainly Dupont and Dupond in the Finnish translations

sut the gently caress up

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Man can't even lie in peace anymore SMHD.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Why would you lie on the internet :confused:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Icelandic they're Skapti and Skafti.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

a cyborg mug posted:

Why would you take urpo and jurpo away from the citizenry like this

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"The Wall" sounds like "the war" if you have the right accent. Pink Floyd's "The Wall" was really not meant to be subtle.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Uh... Well their war album was The Final Cut. Sure the war was a theme of The Wall, but a bit overshadowed by the whole descent into madness and megalomania thing. "The Wall" being a metaphor for the maladaptive but self-preserving strategies and beliefs one develops after trauma (Dad dying in the war and the absence afterward) or abnormal circumstances (you are now a rock star and things will never be the same). Then the "tearing down" as a cathartic return to normal, healthy brain. But that part isn't as cool, so.

Thank you for attending my TED talk.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best Pink Floyd album is Piper at the Gates of Dawn

They lost the whimsy after that one.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

someone on these forums referred to Bike as "the definition of song," and now I cringe with fremdschamen every time I think of Barrett-era Floyd

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
I like that song! It's so pure.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hot Slightly warmer than room temperature take: Pink Floyd's kinda boring and not very good.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hot Slightly warmer than room temperature take: Pink Floyd's kinda boring and not very good.

My sixteen-year-old self is waiting for you behind the bleachers, buddy

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Today I learned that the figure skating spiny jump is a Triple Axel, not a Triple Axle. It is named after a guy whose first name was Axel.

(from an obituary article about the Fosbury Flop guy that went on a tangent about other sport things named after people)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tad Naff posted:

My sixteen-year-old self is waiting for you behind the bleachers, buddy

Are you gonna make out

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

correct.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The best thing Syd Barrett did for Pink Floyd was leave

Not because his music was bad or because Waters was a better frontman, but because the best Floyd songs are about him leaving

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
The best think Pink Floyd did was break up

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

First of Pink Floyd owns, bunch of contrarian motherfuckers in here. Secondly I thought that the @ symbol was some newfangled thing brought about by the Internet or perhaps just before. Saw it in a book I was reading and realized it's actually much much older. First documented in the 14th century! I didn't even realize they had email back then.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Foxfire_ posted:

Today I learned that the figure skating spiny jump is a Triple Axel, not a Triple Axle. It is named after a guy whose first name was Axel.

(from an obituary article about the Fosbury Flop guy that went on a tangent about other sport things named after people)

If it was a Triple Axle, wouldn't it be spinning in x, y and z planes at the same time?

Then again, that's probably the Triple Axis

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hyperlynx posted:

Then again, that's probably the Triple Axis

Didn't we fight them in WWII?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Manga doesn't have a convention of drawing everyone with vampire teeth; it's just the shape of the upper teeth seen from a slightly lower angle as they recede into the shadow of the oral cavity.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

But also a good deal of them are drawn with vampire teeth. Because it's hot

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I know what Tree Bucket is refering to but some anime characters do have fangs, it's usually a sign that the character is mischievous and a bit wild

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

credburn posted:

edit for topical thing: I just realized the mask in Scream is "ghost face" and not "scream face". I thought it was supposed to resemble the dude getting yelled at in The Scream?

Isn't the person in The Scream the one doing the screaming or is this a thing I just found out?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I know what Tree Bucket is refering to but some anime characters do have fangs, it's usually a sign that the character is mischievous and a bit wild

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Isn't the person in The Scream the one doing the screaming or is this a thing I just found out?

No it's nature screaming at him or some poo poo like that. Why would he be covering his own ears to scream?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No it's nature screaming at him or some poo poo like that. Why would he be covering his own ears to scream?

He’s screaming “LA LA LA I CAN’THEAR YOU!!!”

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What! I thought I'd made some real progress in understanding anime. And it was all an illusion.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Anime started making sense for me when I decided that Studio Gibli was the anime and everything else was internet fan art. Except for Moomin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Anime started making sense for me when I decided that Studio Gibli was the anime and everything else was internet fan art. Except for Moomin.

Well yeah.