Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

anyway i came here to post this talk about betelgeuse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UptsR7R4ZTk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

fritz posted:

anyway i came here to post this talk about betelgeuse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UptsR7R4ZTk

this fuker better explode im tired of waiting

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I could beat this guy up. And probably suck dick better than him too. Would you take my advice?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Popoto posted:

just because I'm hyped about the HBO/Spielberg/Kubrick announcement, i would like to share with ya all a pretty good documentary by PBS about mr. bonaparte

it's 4 videos of 45mins, but we're all RLM veterans here im sure that's peanuts listening time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrbiSUgZEbg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKgnfl0aDug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy1B8rwMyqM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khjutpeuVgo

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

PokeJoe posted:

I could beat this guy up. And probably suck dick better than him too. Would you take my advice?

Link to your channel?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeS1pITHufo

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Because she's a bad writer

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYJtb2YXae8

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyU97MoHFM

bonkers

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

This makes me irrationally angry.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

tk posted:

turn your monitor on

mystes
May 31, 2006

tk posted:

You're mad that people are using subtitles? Or that movies are mixed in a way that makes them necessary? Or just by the style of the video?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAFPZdlm7d4

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

You're mad that people are using subtitles? Or that movies are mixed in a way that makes them necessary? Or just by the style of the video?

for me the annoying bit is the concept of "naturalistic acting", an established idea where actors are reading lines as stilted as anything in a greek comedy, but they do it in a way which they wouldn't *actually* if trying to speak to another human being. like, people by and large don't habitually mumble or whisper or say everything with a growl. especially not outside, with anyone you don't know, or on the telephone.

actual realism would be real bad as well, sure actors would then talk in way more neutral ways aiming to be heard, but instead everything would be agrammatical, take twice as long to say, and of course 90% of the dialog would be irrelevant to the story being told. which is where realism being dumb comes in, just as well to have actors project.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah, it makes the characters seem completely unhinged when they're always whisper-scream-crying and stuff. if michael burnham would just _speak normally_ i'd probably dislike discovery a lot less tbh because it makes her seem like an absolute shitshow of a human that fails at basic tasks like "have a normal conversation" and "walk down the hallway"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

my takeways from this are get better speakers and stop watching poo poo on your loving phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 6, 2023

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

for me the annoying bit is the concept of "naturalistic acting", an established idea where actors are reading lines as stilted as anything in a greek comedy, but they do it in a way which they wouldn't *actually* if trying to speak to another human being. like, people by and large don't habitually mumble or whisper or say everything with a growl. especially not outside, with anyone you don't know, or on the telephone.

actual realism would be real bad as well, sure actors would then talk in way more neutral ways aiming to be heard, but instead everything would be agrammatical, take twice as long to say, and of course 90% of the dialog would be irrelevant to the story being told. which is where realism being dumb comes in, just as well to have actors project.

if we consider the term "naturalistic acting" to cover delivery rather than content i think its fine. 2 people talking quietly on a couch with lav mics can provide a more intimate delivery that serves the work better than something more directly delivered to a boom mic. Whether the actual performance is good and whether the audience is paying attention to the nuance, is a separate question. As a technique its fine.

I'd say theres a separate category of clowns like nolan who want "realistic audio" meaning "this is what it would actually sound like if you were there" which is a stupid gimmick that doesnt serve anything.

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah, it makes the characters seem completely unhinged when they're always whisper-scream-crying and stuff. if michael burnham would just _speak normally_ i'd probably dislike discovery a lot less tbh because it makes her seem like an absolute shitshow of a human that fails at basic tasks like "have a normal conversation" and "walk down the hallway"

STD is not naturalistic acting, its dogshit writing and direction (though how much freedom the directors get i have no idea).

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

eh, that's the style the dogshit directing is aping, dont pull some no true scotsman bullshit on me

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Achmed Jones posted:

eh, that's the style the dogshit directing is aping, dont pull some no true scotsman bullshit on me

I think they’re agreeing that it’s just bad and worse has co-opted the terminology to pretend that is more valid than it is

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

STD is full on melodramatic stage acting.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Durr it's because we make everything for the perfect listening experience everywhere except where you watch anything.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

if only we had the technology to detect the type of device the media is being watched on, and to play a differently mixed audio stream tailored to the device. but it's ~*~*~complicated~*~*~

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I didn't watch the video but why don't they just make a different sound mix intended for playback on TVs or phones or whatever

If the director insists on not doing this because it's a violation of his vision or whatever, he sucks rear end and he should be overruled by the studio. You need to accommodate your users' use cases even if they aren't using your product "right."

E: yeah

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Sagebrush posted:

I didn't watch the video but why don't they just make a different sound mix intended for playback on TVs or phones or whatever

If the director insists on not doing this because it's a violation of his vision or whatever, he sucks rear end and he should be overruled by the studio. You need to accommodate your users' use cases even if they aren't using your product "right."

because this would cost money and would prevent the shareholders from making the most money possible in the short term.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Having a sound mix with high dynamic range is the option that allows it to sound good for all listeners. You can compress the dynamic range easily at the point of listening, tailored to the device, but you can't go backwards and uncompress it.

All media devices should have both "volume" and "loudness" controls (the latter being the amount of dynamic range compression) so people can listen with the appropriate sound for their environment. It's so fundamental and basic to audio processing it's actually dumb as hell so many devices lack this. My fairly new LG OLED doesn't have it but my bluray player does (buried deep in a menu somewhere).

Another thing that strongly affects dialogue comprehensibility is the room you're in. A room filled with hard surfaces will create a ton of reverb that heavily muddles the audio and it's difficult to notice the cause. I had this problem when I moved from a carpeted apartment to one with wooden flooring. Had to put down a soft carpet in front of the TV because we couldn't understand a word being said. Night and day difference.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

There's no saving a Nolan mix though lol. Even with everything set up perfectly I still missed a lot of lines in Tenet

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

Watch it's it's ~too hard~

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Audio "expert" watches shows with subtitles on while saying it's actually fine

mystes
May 31, 2006

It is actually fine, hth

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's not and I'm tired of pretending it is

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

It's not and I'm tired of pretending it is

:hmmyes:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

directors need to come to terms with the fact that going to theaters is over

best they can hope for is a soundbar

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The average YouTube video has better sound mixing than the average movie or prestige tv show. It's pathetic

mystes
May 31, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

The average YouTube video has better sound mixing than the average movie or prestige tv show. It's pathetic
Are you sure it doesn't just seem that way because you're watching youtube videos with earphones and tv shows on your tv?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I watch YouTube videos on my TV

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

I watch YouTube videos on my TV

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I use my tv and a set of bookshelf speakers with a subwoofer OP and movies sound like dogshit and YouTube dumbshit videos are audible and clear

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't use earbuds and my phone I'm not a child

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also age-related hearing loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

*goes to shows for over a decade*

*wears no hearing protection except right at the end*

*turns 40*

*complains about mixes*

to be clear, i also complain about lovely mixes and stuff. but secretly i'm pretty sure it's the fact that i got old and didn't take good care of my hearing