Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm legit stunned JSRF never got ported (along with Otogi and Otogi 2 two of the raddest games on earth),

I loved how the cystom soundtracks worked in Phantom Dust with how you could individually pick which of your songs yoy wanted to replace which song on the game.

The bigger mystery isn't that JSRF never got ported, it's that the original JSR got ported and JSRF didn't

like what

JSRF is so incredibly the better game compared to JSR/JGR that it's not even a contest and makes you wonder why they even bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

Disagree, mostly because the game takes every opportunity to bait you into doing something 'bad' and then turns around and mocks you for it

it feels like the same kind of disingenuous vibe as like, I Want To Be The Guy setting up the instakill traps following 'gamer instinct'. 'haha you did a thing i was explicitly guiding you towards, that means you're a sucker/bad person!'

Huh? The only time the game calls you a monster is when you do a genocide run, which involves running around for random encounters in each zone until you've completely wiped out all enemies, and multiple times along the way various characters will beg you to stop and tell you that it's not too late to turn a new leaf. To end the genocide run all you have to do is spare one enemy. I can't imagine anyone doing it accidentally.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

galagazombie posted:

Great Castlevania games that may or may not have “Of” or “The” in their title:
Castlevania
Draculas Curse
Super 4
Bloodlines
Rondo of Blood
Belmonts Revenge
Adventure Rebirth
Symphony of the Night
Circle of the Moon
Harmony of Dissonance
Aria of Sorrow
Dawn of Sorrow
Portrait of Ruin
Order of Ecclesia
Curse of the Moon
Curse of the Moon 2
Ritual of the Night

Bad Castlevania’s that may or may not have “Of” or “The” in their title:
Simons Quest
The Adventure
Dracula X
Lords of Shadow
Lords of Shadow 2
Harmony of Despair
Judgement

These opinions are 100% objectively true and unassailable.

This checks out, but where would you place Kid Dracula?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
below demon's crest, above parodius 1

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The Xbox and Dreamcast are cool in retrospect, but owning both during their respective cycles sucked as a kid. My only source of Dreamcast games was our Pennsyltuckey EB, and it was three small shelfs that mostly had used copies of Sonic Adventure, sports games, and Samba De Amigo without the maracas. The Xbox was kinda the same but with used copies of Brute Force. I also couldn't play either console online.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The Xbox and Dreamcast are cool in retrospect, but owning both during their respective cycles sucked as a kid. My only source of Dreamcast games was our Pennsyltuckey EB, and it was three small shelfs that mostly had used copies of Sonic Adventure, sports games, and Samba De Amigo without the maracas. The Xbox was kinda the same but with used copies of Brute Force. I also couldn't play either console online.

I always wanted an Xbox growing up. I remember seeing so many commercials on how it took and improved games originally on the PS2, like MGS2, as well as having exclusives that I wanted desperately to play like KOTOR.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

How was the Xbox bad when new? It got tons of great exclusives, had the superior version of every multiplat, loaded faster, and had a hard drive that for the time had effectively infinite storage. The only thing it really lacked was JRPG’s which it had effectively zero. Which on the one hand was a serious negative since that Gen was the genres height of popularity. But on the other hand JRPG’s suck balls so good riddance.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Xbox was one of the best home entertainment buys of it's time, if you chipped it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Vandar posted:

I would kill for a port of Jet Set Radio Future.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I thought Dracula X was cool before I knew it was just a bad port of Rondo of Blood.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Nice Van My Man posted:

I thought Dracula X was cool before I knew it was just a bad port of Rondo of Blood.

It’s not really a port. It’s more like an official romhack. It uses the assets but has entirely different levels. Almost like the Rondo team gave someone the sprite sheet and tile sets with no context or documentation and told them to make a game with it.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Vandar posted:

Really hoping bomb rush cyberfunk manages to scratch that itch

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I played a pretty cool castlevania slot machine where the bonus game is defeating different bosses. I did alright on it, would put it in the good category

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

galagazombie posted:

How was the Xbox bad when new? It got tons of great exclusives, had the superior version of every multiplat, loaded faster, and had a hard drive that for the time had effectively infinite storage. The only thing it really lacked was JRPG’s which it had effectively zero. Which on the one hand was a serious negative since that Gen was the genres height of popularity. But on the other hand JRPG’s suck balls so good riddance.

Like I said, it only really sucked for me because of my store's limited selection. The best find I ever got was a copy of MVC2.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Some real hosed up tier choices for Dark Souls bosses in this video imo, the first time you play the game Bell Gargoyles is a surprising delight that so well represents the mood of the entire series that it should forever be an A tier encounter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Apq_c90nE

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ishikabibble posted:

The bigger mystery isn't that JSRF never got ported, it's that the original JSR got ported and JSRF didn't

like what

JSRF is so incredibly the better game compared to JSR/JGR that it's not even a contest and makes you wonder why they even bothered.
Not a mystery. Basically some indie devs did a ton of work to port JSR and went to SEGA and SEGA was like "idk sure buddy" and released it. It wasn't popular enough to get them to consider JSRF.

Vandar posted:

big black turnout posted:

Really hoping bomb rush cyberfunk manages to scratch that itch
It's got Hideki Nagamura doing OST work, BMX bikes, free-running, and Skateboards. The graphical style is so similar it'd be worth suing over if SEGA had touched the IP in 21 straight years-- last time I remember them even acknowledging JSRF were some levels in "Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed" 11 loving years ago, and that was the first time they acknowledged it since 2002. I showed my SO who doesn't game at all some JSRF footage and BRC footage back to back and they said "oh yeah that's the same game."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-cE0PK9TeQ

Team Reptile basically can't miss if they're trying, and I am so loving there for it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

QuarkJets posted:

Some real hosed up tier choices for Dark Souls bosses in this video imo, the first time you play the game Bell Gargoyles is a surprising delight that so well represents the mood of the entire series that it should forever be an A tier encounter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Apq_c90nE

My confession: I beat the bell Gargoyles on my first go, and I did it in such a way that I didn't realise there were two of them. I'm not sure how that's possible, I suspect it bugged out and only one spawned, for me to have beat it so easy.

I never played through og ds again, so I always feel guilty when people bring up the Gargoyles.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

big black turnout posted:

Really hoping bomb rush cyberfunk manages to get released

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Started Shining the Holy Ark tonight and enjoyed it even though I typically don't like dungeon crawlers.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

oh i thought that was marketed as an xbox exclusive, my bad

welp, turns out Halo was the best game all along

No, you're right, Munch's Odyssee was originally an Xbox exclusive and only ported to other systems later. Ditto for the excellent Stranger's Wrath.

galagazombie posted:

On the subject of the original Xbox and Japanese-made RPGs, I still think it's incredible that the Xbox 1) had its own exclusive Shin Megami Tensei game, and 2) it never left Japan. Just a huge loving waste of money from Atlus. I would love to hear like, everything about how the game came to be because its existence just utterly baffles me.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Seriously though KotOR 1&2 alone were worth losing out on every PS2 era JRPG combined, and they have serious aging issues.
edit: Can’t believe I didn’t mention Morrowind aka one of the greatest games of all time. I guess Xbox was where you went for Manly red blooded Western Rpgs unlike the heathen PS2 of the foreigner and his JRPG’s.

galagazombie fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 7, 2023

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

KOTOR 1 was bad and played like complete poo poo though.

(Never tried the second because the first left such an awful taste in my mouth.)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The second is one fo those games that completely sucks to play and is mostly bad but people say its good because it has a bunch good conversations in it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Seriously though KotOR 1&2 alone were worth losing out on every PS2 era JRPG combined, and they have serious aging issues.
edit: Can’t believe I didn’t mention Morrowind aka one of the greatest games of all time. I guess Xbox was where you went for Manly red blooded Western Rpgs unlike the heathen PS2 of the foreigner and his JRPG’s.

Xbox is where you went if you weren't allowed to use the family computer, those are all PC games

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

The second is one fo those games that completely sucks to play and is mostly bad but people say its good because it has a bunch good conversations in it

Ah the fallout new Vegas effect

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

Music rights. Instead of being able to sell a game forever, just cheap out on the contract so you can sell your game once on a console for people who hate Japanese games

WRPGs seem obsessed with emulating tabletop roleplaying games instead of just making a game where number go up. It’s like instead of just making a murder mystery game they’re trying to make a digital version of Cluedo

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

WRPGs seem obsessed with emulating tabletop roleplaying games instead of just making a game where number go up. It’s like instead of just making a murder mystery game they’re trying to make a digital version of Cluedo

I had that on the SNES. It was fun, my mom and I played it a lot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

That's way cooler than watching number go up though. Tbh most WRPGS don't even do that poo poo right and are actually just number go up though. Divinity 2 actually does it well and it's way more interesting to play than 99% of RPG bullshit

itry
Aug 23, 2019

What D:OS 1 and 2 try to do is give the player as much freedom as possible to approach their narrative - in the spirit of ttrpg's. What most cRPG's do though is just take all the pointless minutia (lots and lots and lots of numbers) and dispense with the freedom, because that part is hard to emulate.

Edit: I still mostly prefer that stuff to cutscene-heavy RPG's. Which most jRPG's are. At least you have something to do. Assuming we aren't talking about action-rpg's.

itry fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 7, 2023

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
lolling at pc game fans praising the xbox

my brother in gaming the xbox is what ruined pc games

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Sega didn't even like how lovely JGR/JSRs numbers did it and JSRF will be forgotten forever with Skies of Arcadia

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
What we really need are Napple Tale: Arsia in Daydream and Segagaga on modern consoles

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

George posted:

There's definitely something to that, the need to make everything compatible with a gamepad made a lot of PC games much worse

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I think everyone is forgetting how poo poo pc gaming was before the xbox. It went from having to wrangle various boot disks and juggling memory and loving IRQ settings, then having to go into DOS mode from Win 95/98 to make things run remotely well (with a good chance of sound/music not working) to a period of having no idea if something was going to work because your 3d video card wasn't supported. Oh, and you actually want to play this game with a controller because it was clearly designed for it? Good loving luck. Then the early 2000s era of absolutely insane DRM that installed rootkits or just flat out disabled your CD/DVD drive because it detected that you had Nero installed. And Steam was absolute dogshit on launch.

I pretty much exclusively played PC games up until about 2003 and it was a massive loving hassle. It's pretty poo poo that games are released kinda broken and have massive day-one patches (or in the case of Cyberpunk massive patches over a year later) but holy poo poo this is way better than when games were released utterly broken and we had to buy a goddamn magazine with a patch on the cover disc (or floppy disk, even) in order to make it playable.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

The friends I had that looked down on my preference for console games in my teens absolutely loved loving around with IRQ setting and workarounds all that other bullshit because all the hassle let them feel a little ahead of the curve. They wouldn't admit that console were dope until the Xbox, and now they all own a Nintendo Switch.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

George posted:

Yes, I, too miss tweaking config.sys, creating custom boot disks to squeeze a just a few kilobytes of RAM out of my system and fighting with IRQ and DMA channel settings just to play a goddamn video game.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

I think everyone is forgetting how poo poo pc gaming was before the xbox. It went from having to wrangle various boot disks and juggling memory and loving IRQ settings, then having to go into DOS mode from Win 95/98 to make things run remotely well (with a good chance of sound/music not working) to a period of having no idea if something was going to work because your 3d video card wasn't supported. Oh, and you actually want to play this game with a controller because it was clearly designed for it? Good loving luck. Then the early 2000s era of absolutely insane DRM that installed rootkits or just flat out disabled your CD/DVD drive because it detected that you had Nero installed. And Steam was absolute dogshit on launch.

I pretty much exclusively played PC games up until about 2003 and it was a massive loving hassle. It's pretty poo poo that games are released kinda broken and have massive day-one patches (or in the case of Cyberpunk massive patches over a year later) but holy poo poo this is way better than when games were released utterly broken and we had to buy a goddamn magazine with a patch on the cover disc (or floppy disk, even) in order to make it playable.

tango alpha delta posted:

Yes, I, too miss tweaking config.sys, creating custom boot disks to squeeze a just a few kilobytes of RAM out of my system and fighting with IRQ and DMA channel settings just to play a goddamn video game.

The introduction of the Xbox didn't fix any of that. It did, however, cause all RPG inventory screens to start looking like this

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

The xbox came out in 2001, the era of boot disks was long dead by then unless you just badly wanted to be a nerd. You installed Starcraft and it just worked, and then you installed it on all of your friends computers cause the game let you do that (I think it was called Spawn Mode?). As an idiot adolescent I never had to do jack poo poo to get anything working

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

tango alpha delta posted:

Was that better or worse than blowing in NES cartridges to get them to work, or dealing with N64 joycons that had zany drift after almost any usage? IRQ poo poo was a small window of time, most people don't associate PC gaming with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

The xbox came out in 2001, the era of boot disks and IRQ settings was long dead by then. You installed Starcraft and it just worked, and then you installed it on all of your friends computers cause the game let you do that (I think it was called Spawn Mode?). As an idiot adolescent I never had to do jack poo poo to get anything working

yes boot disks irq settings were long dead by 2001 then there was the rest of the things I wrote, such as the incredibly invasive and damaging DRM, the absolute lack of controller support and completely hosed 3d card driver support.

Either you weren't playing PC games or you're missing a huge chunk of your memory if you think PC gaming wasn't a massive hassle until sometime in the late 2000s compared to console gaming. Fuckin XIII crippled my goddamn DVD drive with its lovely DRM.