Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Yea, until now I'd been assuming it was only a loaded term in the sense of white people using a loanword from the language of a people they did a genocide on, not an out-and-out slur. Consider me educated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Steamed Hams if it was Banned in the USSR

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rascar Capac posted:

Lots of people thought/think that it's a term that just means "woman" or "wife". Probably this includes Simpsons writers from 20-odd years ago.

Odd coincidence though for it to show up only in an episode about an (east) Indian wife.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Lobok posted:

Odd coincidence though for it to show up only in an episode about an (east) Indian wife.
:thejoke:
Homer is too dumb to know the difference

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Wow, something involving apu being casually racist, that's new

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

stealie72 posted:

:thejoke:
Homer is too dumb to know the difference

I know, that's what I'm saying. The writers aren't just innocently using any old word for wife, it was specific.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Lobok posted:

I know, that's what I'm saying. The writers aren't just innocently using any old word for wife, it was specific.
Ah, yeah, for sure. Going to go with "It was not widely considered racist (by white people) 20 years ago."

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
We need to get on this, does groening know yet?!!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I bet this guy's gonna get real upset about racial slurs

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah I bet this guy's gonna get real upset about racial slurs

Venom Groening

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Whybird posted:

Yea, until now I'd been assuming it was only a loaded term in the sense of white people using a loanword from the language of a people they did a genocide on, not an out-and-out slur. Consider me educated.

It literally means 'woman' in Massachusett.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/squaw#etymonline_v_21935

quote:

"Native American woman," 1630s, from Massachuset (Algonquian) squa "woman" (cognate with Narraganset squaws "woman"). "Over the years it has come to have a derogatory sense and is now considered offensive by many Native Americans" [Bright]. Widespread in U.S. place names, sometimes as a translation of a local native word for "woman." In old New England writers, sometimes paired with sannup (1620s) "married male member of a Native community."

It's an offensive slur, but it doesn't mean 'vagina' or anything like that. It's just what you thought it was: white people using a loanword from a people they committed genocide against. It's offensive because of who's using it and the manner in which they're using it, not because the word itself is innately offensive.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

The better Homer-not-knowing-the-difference dialogue was

Homer: Are you sure you don't want to come? In a Civil War reenactment we need lots of Indians to shoot.
Apu: I don't know which part of that sentence to correct first.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

stealie72 posted:

Ah, yeah, for sure. Going to go with "It was not widely considered racist (by white people) 20 years ago."

Having 20 years ago lived in one of the parts of North America with the highest per capita indigenous populations, that word then would have certainly gotten you an rear end kicking.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Unless someone is actively today saying "They were good and right to say that thing" I just can't care that much about someone saying something lovely 20 years ago past saying, "That sucks, wish they hadn't".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

The better Homer-not-knowing-the-difference dialogue was

Homer: Are you sure you don't want to come? In a Civil War reenactment we need lots of Indians to shoot.
Apu: I don't know which part of that sentence to correct first.

Given my understanding of American history I suspect Homer is less inaccurate than implied.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I think we just have to accept there were a lot of episodes where the writers were too hosed up off of rotisserie chicken to be not racist

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
FWIW, the writers claim to have not known that the term "queer" was also offensive when they wrote the Homer thinks Bart may be gay episode.

Even though Homer literally says "That's our word for making fun of you."

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

embedding the video so people don't miss this

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:kstare:
(it's beautiful)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVmw3ZhdzEs

My god this was good. (again making sure the embed isn't missed)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

added like 300 steps - it fixed his hand being backwards

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 6, 2023

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

D̨e̞̹̮͓̮͔̼l̪̦͟y̛̠͖͙ͅg͎̩͝h͍͕̥͎̳̦̝ţ̠͇͖̠͍ͅvl̞̯̣̼̰ͅl͇͓̫͓͕̻͔y ͚̦̞͚͉̼D̛̯͚̘̪̗̫̪y̺̦̳v̩̠l̢͉̝̙͖̦̯i͏͇̹̠̳͚s̘̰̲̖̟̕h̖̼̲͜

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

This is incredible

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I would like more Red Green memes, thank you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

While the pools are the obvious stars of that post, I too would like to express my fondness for the Canadiana in that post

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The PP one had me sputtering. Quality haul, Uncle Wemus.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Probably in large part thanks to this thread I've been rewatching the show lately and goddamn are the early episodes just packed with material. I think I figured I'd recognize one or two memes from this thread per episode but it's just hit after hit after hit, literally minutes apart (if that.)

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
The other day I watched an old episode of Diners Drive-ins & Dives and the chef was called Ray Ray. They interviewed a customer who explained it is his nickname: "You can call him Ray or you can call him Ray Ray or you can call him James" and it's not like there's actually any point to this story but I thought of you, meme thread, while I was tying the onion to my belt.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
It's it a clearly poor taste joke?

Like squaw being a native American (indian) and Apu being Indian

Like I get the joke, but that doesn't mean it's good taste

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jestery posted:

It's it a clearly poor taste joke?

Like squaw being a native American (indian) and Apu being Indian

Like I get the joke, but that doesn't mean it's good taste

Who are you arguing with

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

mind the walrus posted:

This was amazing. At first I was shocked it was just shy of 300 likes, but then I saw it was only posted a day ago. Impeccable work.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I'm seein' triple here...

Nine Krusty burgers!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

Masterful.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

History Comes Inside! posted:

Who are you arguing with

Sorry got sniped, I thought on the last page that it had gone over someone head.

Simpsons has a few bad jokes in their run :shrug:

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Jestery posted:

Simpsons has a few bad jokes in their run :shrug:

https://twitter.com/sohamberlamps/status/983200703660351488

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

scattered apus

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i should be used to it now, but every time i see a clip of new simpsons i'm once again appalled by how wrong all the characters sound.

lisa sounds like an elderly woman trying to imitate a child's voice (for some reason!), and poor julie kavner sounds like the loving cryptkeeper