Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Fast food is 100% about convenience and has not been anything close to a cheaper option for many years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
A lot of our structures still feel there is someone at home tending the house too. So whether thats picking up children or making meals, our policies feel very based around having someone at home to do all of this.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Vahakyla posted:

And when you count dollars, often the dollar menus of fast food places are going to be cheaper by orders of magnitude than any healthy options at a grocery store.

Only if you count calories. If you are going for satiety then fruits and veggies own.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

the_steve posted:

The time is a cost all on it's own, not just an unattractive quality.
For a lot of us, a fistful of McDonald's is the only thing we have time to eat before we have to go to bed so we can put in another 15+ hour day at our lovely job(s)

Right. That's what I am saying. It's not simply an issue of "make beans, lentils, and rice free to solve the obesity crisis." It's also lifestyle, convenience, and flavor factors that lead people to choose fast food or instant meals. So, just making beans cheaper isn't going to be the sole solution.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
I can't remember if it was posted here or in a different thread, but there was a longish article about dollar stores being the retail business that benefited the most from the pandemic, and I imagine fast food ate the restaurant market share in much the same way. Small footprint, drive-thru and doordash made pandemic restrictions irrelevant, and even with wage increases you are still putting a lot less labor in compared to the kitchen and waitstaff at a sit-down place.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You still can. You just can't have "healthy" written on the box, even in the brand name, of any food you eat.

Your "healthy choice" 2,700 calorie "personal veggie pizza" just has to change the box. Stopping you from eating it would be un-American.

This is considerably more complicated than you or the article are presenting, and frustratingly enough the food industry is about 80% correct- it’s a really shittily written rule. I’ll put together an effortpost this evening.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

This is considerably more complicated than you or the article are presenting, and frustratingly enough the food industry is about 80% correct- it’s a really shittily written rule. I’ll put together an effortpost this evening.

Obviously that specific post was not meant to be a detailed analysis of administrative law.

What about the Washington Post article do you think is off?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yeah, it would help a lot if healthy food actually tasted good. I've been trying to eat healthy (with a doctor-advised low-carb diet) and it sucks. Oh boy broccoli slaw and grilled chicken again.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, it would help a lot if healthy food actually tasted good. I've been trying to eat healthy (with a doctor-advised low-carb diet) and it sucks. Oh boy broccoli slaw and grilled chicken again.

That's a seasoning issue, with the right seasoning chicken and broccoli are incredible.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Obviously that specific post was not meant to be a detailed analysis of administrative law.

What about the Washington Post article do you think is off?

I mean, it’s going to have to be a several part essay. The regulation, the guideline the regulation is based on, the things the industry groups are actually complaining about, the underlying research, are all presented in ways that are sufficiently limited that folks are coming away from the article with incorrect impressions.

This is all made worse because, not by coincidence, it’s happening at the intersection of some really influential pseudoscience (published as science) and resulting incorrect public beliefs and policy around nutrition.

For one tiny part of many, the regulation is about a category of specifically regulated claim (a general form of “implied nutrient content claim,” at 21 CFR 101.65) that may include use of the word healthy. Companies can (almost certainly, it’s in the commentary on the rule from FDA and it’s how the rule is structured) use other kinds of claims that use the word healthy if they meet the requirements for those claims.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 6, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thanks for elaborating. I'll be interested to read the full thing.

Discendo Vox posted:

Companies can (almost certainly, it’s in the commentary on the rule from FDA and it’s how the rule is structured) use other kinds of claims that use the word healthy if they meet the requirements for those claims.

This is mentioned in the WaPo article, though.

The thing they say is that almost none of the current offerings from "Healthy Choice" brand foods would meet those standards because of the added sugar, saturated fat, and sodium contents. I believe the specific measure they are using for "too much added sugar" is 2.5 grams or more. They don't say that the word healthy will be entirely banned as a matter of policy.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Civilized Fishbot posted:

That's a seasoning issue, with the right seasoning chicken and broccoli are incredible.

Yeah once, but as a lifestyle meal the seasonings get oooooooooooooooold.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The problems occur when you're trying to do this 3-5 times a week or so.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You still can. You just can't have "healthy" written on the box, even in the brand name, of any food you eat.

Your "healthy choice" 2,700 calorie "personal veggie pizza" just has to change the box. Stopping you from eating it would be un-American.

Phoneposting, but here’s an example of the posting at issue.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

Phoneposting, but here’s an example of the posting at issue.

Is there a way to get a 2,700 calorie frozen pizza within the guidelines for saturated fat and added sugar? Does not seem possible to me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Is there a way to get a 2,700 calorie frozen pizza within the guidelines for saturated fat and added sugar? Does not seem possible to me.

First, the user said only “a salt lick’s amount in a frozen meal” or similar; the pizza example was yours, while saying the word healthy can’t appear anywhere on the box. Such a product could, for instance, probably use the word “healthy” in a qualified health claim, which is a different kind of claim (the proposed rule seems to leave that open based on the structure of the regulation, but also has a weird requirement carve out for nuts that references qualified health claims). The proposed rule also explicitly states that the term is not treated as a nutrient content claim in labeling if it cannot be seen as occurring “in a nutritional context.”

To further clarify, this isn’t just labels or packaging; when FDA says “labeling,” that’s a term referring to basically all messaging and consumer-facing communication.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Name Change posted:

The problems occur when you're trying to do this 3-5 times a week or so.

You can stir fry any vegetables and they'll be consistently tasty " on repeat" for.as.long as you want.

That takes skill, time, practice, equipment, and tolerance for risk you might burn it all, tho.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

I don't disagree, but in my experience it takes seasoning plus a large amount of fat and salt to reach "incredible" territory, let alone playing in the same ballpark as fast food.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

First, the user said only “a salt lick’s amount in a frozen meal” or similar; the pizza example was yours, while saying the word healthy can’t appear anywhere on the box. Such a product could, for instance, probably use the word “healthy” in a qualified health claim, which is a different kind of claim (the proposed rule seems to leave that open based on the structure of the regulation, but also has a weird requirement carve out for nuts that references qualified health claims). The proposed rule also explicitly states that the term is not treated as a nutrient content claim in labeling if it cannot be seen as occurring “in a nutritional context.”

To further clarify, this isn’t just labels or packaging; when FDA says “labeling,” that’s a term referring to basically all messaging and consumer-facing communication.

Fair, but I thought the 2,700 calorie "personal" pizza and eating an entire salt lick were obvious jokes.

That last paragraph/sentence is actually an interesting thing that isn't really spelled out in the WaPo article, so thank you for expanding on that.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fair, but I thought the 2,700 calorie "personal" pizza and eating an entire salt lick were obvious jokes
any idiot could tell they were

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

…and the problem with the post was referring to “healthy anywhere on the box,” when even the joke items may still be able to use it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can stir fry any vegetables and they'll be consistently tasty " on repeat" for.as.long as you want.

That takes skill, time, practice, equipment, and tolerance for risk you might burn it all, tho.

The age-old fight of semi-skill-based cooking with ingredients that don't make you feel like poo poo,

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wusGIl3v044

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
With all of this discussion on healthy eating, if anyone is interested in some healthy and easy recipes check out Youtubers Josh Cortis and Felu - Fit by Cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vD0C4oR7RI

Both of them substitute healthier options for dishes not known for being particularly healthy while still having lots of flavor. You'll pick up some useful cooking skills in the process and be able to start experimenting with your own healthy recipe ideas.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Cheesus posted:

I don't disagree, but in my experience it takes seasoning plus a large amount of fat and salt to reach "incredible" territory, let alone playing in the same ballpark as fast food.

They are lying, no amount of cooking can make broccoli good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMZHja6dmgc

Has there been any study that shows a way to break the time+cost+flavor conundrum? The Super Soup Kitchen seems like one of the few realistic proposals to get around having to pay people to cook while simultaneously teaching them how to cook/eat healthy and sin taxing the poo poo out of unhealthy options to overcome the taste barrier.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's a headline with a combination of words I did not expect to see.

Tyler Perry is in talks to become the majority owner of VH1 and BET.

I was also not aware that VH1 and BET had merged into a single parent company within Paramount.

Paramount, who currently owns both channels, wants to sell the channels because they need cash to shore up Paramount+ and because Tyler Perry already owns a minority stake in BET's existing streaming platform (BET+) and it would complicate any attempt by Paramount to license BET+ content for free on Paramount+ or Pluto TV (their free, but ad-supported streaming network).

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1632841018822258690

quote:

Paramount Global is exploring a sale of a majority stake of BET Media Group, which includes the cable channels BET and VH1, people familiar with the matter said.

The decision to consider selling a majority stake of the assets, which cater primarily to Black audiences, is part of the entertainment giant’s effort to shore up resources to bolster its flagship Paramount+ streaming service and its advertiser-supported free streaming platform Pluto TV, some of the people said.

Paramount, which also owns CBS, MTV, Nickelodeon and Paramount Pictures, has made strengthening Paramount+ a priority as it seeks to compete with other major streaming services such as Walt Disney Co. ’s Disney+, Netflix Inc. and Warner Bros. Discovery Inc.’s HBO Max.

Earlier this year, the company decided to fold its Showtime streaming service into Paramount+ and rebrand the Showtime premium channel as “Paramount+ With Showtime,” as The Wall Street Journal earlier reported. The company has said it made the move to help lower costs and present one signature streaming service in a crowded streaming market.

Although BET and its streaming service BET+ have strong brands, it would be challenging to fold that service into Paramount+, because producer Tyler Perry owns a minority stake in the streaming platform, people familiar with the matter said. If the company does sell the stake, it intends to maintain a commercial relationship with BET, said one of the people.

BET Studios, a production arm of BET, also has minority stakeholders including producers Kenya Barris, Rashida Jones and Aaron Rahsaan Thomas.

Paramount had about 56 million subscribers to Paramount+ as of Dec. 31, and another 21.4 million subscribers to its smaller subscription streaming services, such as its Showtime streaming service and BET+. The company doesn’t break out subscriber figures for BET+ specifically.

Founded in 1980 by Robert Johnson with backing from cable mogul John Malone, Black Entertainment Television was the first national programming service primarily targeting Black viewers. Paramount Global acquired BET in 2000 for $2.3 billion in stock and the assumption of $570 million in debt.

Besides looking to unload assets that may prove challenging to incorporate into Paramount+, Paramount Global wants to shore up its balance sheet. Paramount has said the company expects 2023 to be the peak year in spending and that next year the company will hit positive cash flow and earnings growth.

One asset Paramount declined to sell despite a strong offer is Showtime. Earlier this year, the company turned down a more than $3 billion offer to sell the premium channel to David Nevins, who oversaw Showtime and had backing from private-equity firm General Atlantic.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 6, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Cheesus posted:

While you'll probably want some salt for broccoli, throwing in some pepper, garlic, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast into it goes a long way

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Discendo Vox posted:

…and the problem with the post was referring to “healthy anywhere on the box,” when even the joke items may still be able to use it.
k, and it was still chuckle worthy

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mustang posted:

With all of this discussion on healthy eating, if anyone is interested in some healthy and easy recipes check out Youtubers Josh Cortis and Felu - Fit by Cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vD0C4oR7RI

Both of them substitute healthier options for dishes not known for being particularly healthy while still having lots of flavor. You'll pick up some useful cooking skills in the process and be able to start experimenting with your own healthy recipe ideas.

These are really good! That's precisely right, lot of those at first don't seem that healthy (because they're tasty).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Seems like there's better things they could be doing, but I'm not really sure how saying brands can't advertise their stuff as healthy considering the pretty limited requirements here is such a big deal.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 6, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tyler Perry is in talks to become the majority owner of VH1 and BET.

I was also not aware that VH1 and BET had merged into a single parent company within Paramount.

it would be hilarious if Tyler Perry brings music content back to VH1 before MTV. I mean it won't happen but still hilarious

And yes my saltlick thing was a joke.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mooseontheloose posted:

it would be hilarious if Tyler Perry brings music content back to VH1 before MTV. I mean it won't happen but still hilarious

And yes my saltlick thing was a joke.

The WSJ doesn't say anything about Perry necessarily wanting to change the content. Maybe he just thinks it is profitable or wants to own the full BET and VH1 channels instead of just a minority share in the BET streaming platform?

It's not really clear why he wants in. But, I doubt VH1 or MTV ever go back to fully music content anymore. It just doesn't really make sense in the era of Youtube, streaming radio, etc.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The WSJ doesn't say anything about Perry necessarily wanting to change the content. Maybe he just thinks it is profitable or wants to own the full BET and VH1 channels instead of just a minority share in the BET streaming platform?

It's not really clear why he wants in. But, I doubt VH1 or MTV ever go back to fully music content anymore. It just doesn't really make sense in the era of Youtube, streaming radio, etc.

Perry is already immune to grits, and buying VH1 may make him immune to polenta.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The real question is: will red states start banning the Madea movies?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

VikingofRock posted:

The real question is: will red states start banning the Madea movies?

Why ban what is only marketed to minorities in the first place?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Byzantine posted:

I wonder how many people just default to getting fast food for the 5th time this week not so much because of the cost and convenience factor (though those are big factors) but rather have kids and just don't want them complaining about how awful the healthier options taste.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Slightly tangential, but I'm reminded of an advertising technicality I saw on twitter:
https://twitter.com/katietiedrich/status/1616237128886915072?s=20
They are baffled by the "2x meat required by the 'lasagna with meat sauce standard' "

But it's not just goofy advertising/bragging - One of the responders pointed out the trick - the product is "lasagna with meat & sauce." The difference being "meat & sauce" and "meat sauce"

and if you look at the FDA standards,

FDA lableling posted:

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/import/Labeling-Policy-Book.pdf
Lasagna with Meat and Sauce: 12 percent meat
Lasagna with Meat Sauce: 6 percent meat in total product
They're literally providing the minimum requirement, while sounding like they're providing double by quoting a different standard.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
My vodka tonics require 2X the vodka. It's required.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
That's not a trick, it's an explanation of a weird food rule.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Figuring out how to reduce meat usage without pissing people off is good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Are we even barking up the right tree thinking of obesity as a food and exercise issue? The big spike in obesity rates globally coincides with the late-1970s discovery of Adv36, a virus that basically rewires metabolism in a wide variety of animals so that even if diet stays the same they get fatter. I mean, we even see an obesity epidemic in animals that aren't connected to the human food system particularly at all, like lab rats grow faster and other weird effects.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenovirus_serotype_36