Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Permanently "under construction"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/orteil42/status/1632788777625067522?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

i know the answer is 'no' but

is elon even capable of learning another word.

i don't think he's said anything 'technical' about twitter that wasn't the 'API stack' since he bought the company. it's literally like some engineer gave him a half sentence about what an API is, they used 'stack' in there, and he cut them off and wandered away and that's what he thinks the entirety of twitter is. just APIs. APIs in the stack, yep yep. gotta trim that API stack. oh the whole API stack is bad, gotta remake it. gotta remake the API stack.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jokes on them I was only pretending to be bad at software development

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m glad Elon started out that trolls are bad but now they are extremely cool when not directed at him

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He learned that his primary fanbase really love being unaccountable for their harassment and child ogling, so these are no longer problems, only lifestyle choices.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I also just got a message today when opening Twitter that they're going to trash all the pre-existing livestreams that got uploaded over the years. Sure, most of the livestreams were trash, but that is also a massive archive of journalism just being thrown in the dumpster.

When Vine got shuttered, unless you closed the account all the existing uploads still work and can be viewed to this day. When Twitter's livestream app Periscope got shut down, moving the live video into the main app, all the older streams could still be viewed. Both services offered a download link to get all the videos (I got all mine saved, but rearchiving it all was a massive pain) but their was only a small window of time in which to get that done.

Sure, just keep on stripping out all the stuff that made the site an actual valuable tool and not just a burning dog turd of people screaming at each other.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Parkingtigers posted:

I know, I know, wall of text, but Elon's absolutely not sticking up for the nice science account in that tweet.

thank you for this context

speaking of the street journalists that andy ngo likes to smear, i used to follow a small handful of good/decent leftists like chad loder and vishal singh who were disappeared from the site shortly after the musk takeover, for obvious reasons. any idea where those people are posting now? i'd like to keep reading their stuff.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

The code stack is extremely brittle for no good reason

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
i've been saying for years that the code stack was too brittle

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

i've been saying for years that the code stack was too brittle

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON API STACKING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!"

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Why didn’t Elon just make his own site if Twitter’s foundational code is broken?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you cut back on stack spending, you will be ashamed by your words and deeds

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

meat police posted:

The code stack is extremely brittle for no good reason

Too many female employees to be Twitter.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

Sure, just keep on stripping out all the stuff that made the site an actual valuable tool and not just a burning dog turd catturd of people screaming at each other.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Catturd is old news. These days, like 90% of Musk's replies are to the two doge avatar accounts

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

kazil posted:

Catturd is old news. These days, like 90% of Musk's replies are to the two doge avatar accounts

https://twitter.com/krangtnelson/status/1632848067899654154?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

orteil is a real poster.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ishikabibble posted:

i know the answer is 'no' but

is elon even capable of learning another word.

i don't think he's said anything 'technical' about twitter that wasn't the 'API stack' since he bought the company. it's literally like some engineer gave him a half sentence about what an API is, they used 'stack' in there, and he cut them off and wandered away and that's what he thinks the entirety of twitter is. just APIs. APIs in the stack, yep yep. gotta trim that API stack. oh the whole API stack is bad, gotta remake it. gotta remake the API stack.

He definitely doesn't understand what a "stack" is.

There is (broadly speaking) no such thing as a "code stack". Typically you would use the word "stack" to refer to a series of disparate layers of the system, only one or two of which is "code". The rest of the layers are things like database, platform/operating system, CI/CD deployment pipelines, external APIs, hardware, network fabric...

Developers talk about a "stack" as referring to those three or four layers they come into immediate contact with. So like LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) is a stack. Or another variant would include different layers for front-end code (Javascript) and back-end code (Java, Python, etc). Like you would use this metaphor to describe all those different layers stacked on top of each other, because that's roughly how the system is constructed. A developer will use the term "stack" to refer to which particular loose collection of systems (of the many that exist) he or she is most familiar with. i.e. "I'm a LAMP stack guy."

It's subtly nonsensical to say that the "code stack" is "brittle". There are sources of brittleness in any system to be sure, but if he's pinning it on the "stack" it means he's blaming the interactions between the different layers for the brittleness, as though the issue is that the integration between the back-end and the API layers stops working if you breathe on them wrong, or as though they have a really bad deployment setup in which package dependencies get automatically deployed or upgraded without proper vetting in lower environments or something. And these are possible, in fact common. The interactions between these layers can often be finicky. I doubt it is the case here, because a system as refined as Twitter was had certainly built up a very streamlined deployment process that smoothed out any of the issues that might crop up. It was stable for years, which means it was not brittle.

But for him to use the phrase "code stack" means that he doesn't understand the fundamental terminology. Like, the problem is not the C# (or whatever) code itself or the front-end JS or the templating system; if it was he would say "the templating system is very brittle". He's parroting the term "code stack" because he knows there is "code" and he knows there is a "stack" and he knows things can be "brittle" but he doesn't know that it's not an "all at once" kind of thing. It's like saying the car wheels motor is inefficient.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Elon is making a big pot of soup, but he substitutes the salt in the recipe for sugar because he likes sugar more than salt, therefor the soup will be improved.

Elon tastes and it obviously sucks now, he posts "The flavor profile of this soup is too brittle, my simple change somehow ruined it. Gonna need an entirely new recipe."

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Parkingtigers posted:

I know, I know, wall of text, but Elon's absolutely not sticking up for the nice science account in that tweet. And the "blackmail" aspect of that DCMA request is odd, but the actual "take my stuff out of your tweet" side of things is still the right of the creator to assert and Elon should be, as site owner, saying "yeah, they can't hit you up for money but they do have the right to ask you not to embed their stuff" but... oh yeah, there's me expecting the meme thief to acknowledge creator rights, duh.

to finish tying this up in a neat little bow, it wasnt blackmail it was the actual creator letting the thief know the licensing fee for the media if they want to, you know, not be a thief

and so the thief saw 'it costs $X for the use of this media' and cried crocodile tears about how mean and bad the guy who actually went out there and did the work is being to the poor poor thief

ElectricWatermelon
Jan 8, 2020

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I thought Cloud Cuckoo Land was that zone in Banjo-Tooie with the impossible race against that fucker Canary Mary.

This post reawakened a rage I had repressed since childhood.

Also :lol: at Elmo keeping Twitter in a state of permanent "under construction".

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

orteil is a real poster.

Orteil is basically the Thomas Midgley Jr. of game development. If anyone knows about accidentally causing untold harm via software, it's them.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

Yo, just to be clear, Elon's message there isn't directed at the person he's replying to, that's a declaration that he's protecting Andy Ngo and Ian Miles Chong. Bear with me, this needs some context for those of you not terminally online on the hellsite.

So, one of the things that is a double-edged sword on Twitter is that you can straight up lift the content from other people's media tweets and embed it into your own. Instead of saving it and reposting, the already uploaded video is just hotlinked to but looks like a fresh new tweet. Now when it's just some already stolen content picked up from elsewhere on the internet, it doesn't matter, it's all people just posting random poo poo for the updoots. It *does* matter when the content being lifted belongs to the person who posts it.

There are a couple of ways that this media hotlinking is good. It means you can straight up lift content from a bad account and share it yourself so you're not retweeting or quotetweeting @hitlerwasright1488 just to show a goddamn cat video.

That Massimo account is a wholesome cool poo poo account that shares fun and interesting things. They could not be better at tagging and crediting everyone they feature in their tweets, so even though it's a repost (and some people don't like any reposting, I get that) it's always done in ways that directs more eyes at the original creator. Very good for when it's content from off of Twitter. So again, because this is a good and wholesome account, Elon isn't looking to protect this account, but his fashy mates.

Because the darker side of content jacking is seen by IMC and Andy Ngo stealing content from actual legit street journos, stripping it of context, and putting an inflammatory new caption on it to stoke right wing violence. They did this a lot during the BLM protests in 2020, amongst other times. And I know some of the frontline journos, many had Ngo blocked. They would be using Twitter the way that it works best, posting a thread of media tweets in almost real-time updating the situation over a series of hours. It had context and commentary and was true unfiltered street journalism. Despite being blocked, anyone with a private browser or alt account can right-click the tweet and get the link to embed on their main fash account, so suddenly instead of a video in the middle of a thread showing cops/fash beating up protestors, one video gets pulled out and twisted to show the opposite to give red meat agitprop to the far right.

The "views" count goes up on the original tweet, but all the engagement and value (and journalism has value) goes to the person who stole the content. IMC was getting flat out retweeted by Trump, using stolen journalist videos from people who have IMC blocked, and the chud is getting tons of extra followers in the process and building his platform on the hard work of others.

The only sign the video was stolen was a tiny clickable link showing the name of the original uploader. One small change made recently (obviously pre-Elon) was that clicking that took you to the original tweet, but for years clicking that would only take you to the profile of the original tweeter. If the video was more than a few hours old, you would never be able to find it. Of course it should have been that posting the link to the video turned it into a straight up quote tweet so people could see the original thread, but that would mean fash were unable to use the site for misinformation purposes, so... yeah.

The DCMA takedowns were the only tool available for journalists and other creators to assert their rights to not having their poo poo taken and used by bad actors for profit and propaganda. Elon is best loving mates with all the worst people on the site, and all of them are at risk of getting DCMA hits the next time there's a round of street protest content they'll be lining up to steal.

I know, I know, wall of text, but Elon's absolutely not sticking up for the nice science account in that tweet. And the "blackmail" aspect of that DCMA request is odd, but the actual "take my stuff out of your tweet" side of things is still the right of the creator to assert and Elon should be, as site owner, saying "yeah, they can't hit you up for money but they do have the right to ask you not to embed their stuff" but... oh yeah, there's me expecting the meme thief to acknowledge creator rights, duh.

Concerning

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Parkingtigers posted:

I also just got a message today when opening Twitter that they're going to trash all the pre-existing livestreams that got uploaded over the years. Sure, most of the livestreams were trash, but that is also a massive archive of journalism just being thrown in the dumpster.

When Vine got shuttered, unless you closed the account all the existing uploads still work and can be viewed to this day. When Twitter's livestream app Periscope got shut down, moving the live video into the main app, all the older streams could still be viewed. Both services offered a download link to get all the videos (I got all mine saved, but rearchiving it all was a massive pain) but their was only a small window of time in which to get that done.

Sure, just keep on stripping out all the stuff that made the site an actual valuable tool and not just a burning dog turd of people screaming at each other.

wait does this mean spaces will get junked as well? i have to go save that chud spaces where they're whining about the recent midterms.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

also here is elon talking about a rewrite vs a previous twitter engineer

https://twitter.com/pwnsdx/status/1605442608603463680

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

priznat posted:

I got an idea for the next hitman level

They already did this in Hitman 2. Complete with electric car that traps the billionaire inside and catches on fire lol.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

Holy poo poo I forgot how much Wikipedia destroyed this dude's identity by saying his special bag of "secrets" about Hunter's Schlong was not notable

He's still MAD about it

Lmao

wait what.. gonna have to explain this. william legate was obsessed with hunter bidens dick?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Strong Sauce posted:

wait what.. gonna have to explain this. william legate was obsessed with hunter bidens dick?

No no, Ebaum Musk is still mad at Wikipedia

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Aramis posted:

Orteil is basically the Thomas Midgley Jr. of game development. If anyone knows about accidentally causing untold harm via software, it's them.

i was about to ask what Orteil did but then looked it up, its cookie clicker.

i disagree , the idle game genre isnt a juggernaut the same way 3rd person shooters with [insert a bunch of mecanics and minor genre mixing] is.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Strong Sauce posted:

No, Wikipedia refused to acknowledge the twitter files or put a content warning on Musk's article about them or something, noting that they were "not notable." Musk, being the adult he is, shot back by putting a flag on all actual verified checkmarks that the account may not be notable.

There appears to be an actual wikipedia article up for the twitter files and I'm not actually gonna read it, but skimming it it looks to be full of sources and footnotes about how stupid the twitter files are.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1632865818563293190
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1632872927816302594

gonna post all my content on the site that won't take DMCA requests seriously, gently caress yeah

and surely the guy that won't pay rent will pay me for my content

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol Musk can wiggle his way out of a lot of shot but if he thinks he can beat the DMCA lobby

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Isn't one of the main point of the DMCA to remove most discretionary leeway from the platform in these matters? Selective enforcement would open up twitter to some nasty liabilities, right?

Aramis fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 7, 2023

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Who would have thought that Elon would rush to the defense of people who copy/paste other people's stuff and pass it off as their own?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Elon and Portnoy turf war on who has the most profitable business on other people's ideas

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

kazil posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1632865818563293190
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1632872927816302594

gonna post all my content on the site that won't take DMCA requests seriously, gently caress yeah

and surely the guy that won't pay rent will pay me for my content

Of loving course it's Ryan Hall gargling Elon's boot over a policy of content ripoff free-for-all, the guy is one of the worst people in the already terrible meteorology-as-content space.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Elon: People need to make a living and prosper from their work
Tesla plant employees: pay us a living wage
Elon: no, not like that

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

As proof of his support for content creators, here is the account of the guy who originally took the aurora footage that was then reuploaded by the guy who moaned to Musk

https://twitter.com/NightLights_AM

click the link, go on.

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Being a forum mod is hard sometimes.

Hell of a price tag for him finding out he is bad at it