Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I don't recall; has Bennett actually won it yet? I know he got [snip] a number of times, but I thought he got edged out.

Bennett won in 2020 for this item:

He was considered for six different toons in 2021, but was beaten by a classic "blank panel gag" comic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Not as egregious, but the playing field would probably be better off then.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: That's What Cancel Culture Is

Ted Rall posted:

Controversy that followed race-baiting by cartoonist Scott Adams that led to the cancellation of the iconic comic strip “Dilbert” included numerous people denying the meaning of words and terms involved. Those who were angry and wanted action against him. But they didn’t want to be seen as taking action.

First Dog on the Moon: It's Monday morning at the government’s policy approval meeting. Next up: the climate safeguard mechanism

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nenonen posted:

I wish Rall would experiment with different ways of holding a gun next to his face. To improve his art.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I finally caught up with the thread! Gotta ask, is there an award category for "most behind the times?" because shouldn't this have been published in November? Of 2020?

It's topical because of the filings made by Dominion in their lawsuit against Fox which proved that Tucker, Hannity, etc all knew that the Stop the Steal stuff was insane lies from the get go.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: That's What Cancel Culture Is

Ted what the gently caress is up with your curved arm

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's so weird when people refuse to internalize nazi shibboleths, as I have.

Fun fact: this is also what set Scott Dilbertman off on the rant that got him booted.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's so weird when people refuse to internalize nazi shibboleths, as I have.

Fun fact: this is also what set Scott Dilbertman off on the rant that got him booted.

I try not to engage with anything Thed Rolls says because it's always disingenuous garbage. Instead I focus on his art, which is honest, straightforward garbage.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I reject Orwellian attempts to change language in order to create an Other out of a diverse group of social discourse, unlike the Cancel Culture Woke Mob.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Discendo Vox posted that Nenonen posted:

I wish Rall would experiment with different ways of holding a gun next to his face. To improve his art.

Unironically this since he managed draw the hand the wrong way round.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Skios posted:

Specifically, Tinsley did a cartoon about Ilhan Omar's alleged antisemitism that backfired horrendously, and Fishman took over. For a while it seemed that Fishman might push the comic a little bit more back towards sanity, but it's basically the same message, just with slightly tighter art and jokes that occasionally land.
Apparently it wasn’t this but “health issues” however that could very well just be polite cover to avoid a fuss.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Therapy? Transitioning? Medication? Nope. Turns out all our youth needed was whiskey sours.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It feels like there's a whole genre that basically shakes out to "this group of people are loving miserable because we have set their future on fire and their present isn't looking too rosy either, clearly somehow this is their own fault."

Like this is a mental health version of dipshits wringing their hands about job hobbing or "quiet quitting" and don't look at reasons why people might do these things, such as "we are expendable cogs that they will regularly overwork and underpay, and our only reward is being jettisoned at the end of the quarter to make some already rich guy even richer." Or the classic finger wagging about those darn millennial kids (they're mostly in their 30s to 40s now) and their avocado toast or whatever and if they'd stop that they could pay off those college bills and buy a house, because they're still working off a mental model where you could mow lawns for a summer to pay for college, buy a house, start a family, and still have a nest egg for savings and are unable or unwilling to understand that things are different now. Not even worse, which I think they are, just different.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The response that's gaining traction for why kids these days have so many mental health issues is "Not enough Jesus." Basically the idea that all of the things like phones and Tik Tok that they're all into has taken the place of good honest church and Bible reading time and if they'd just accept Jesus all their problems would go away.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most of it is just whining about kids talking about mental health or sex and relationships in a public setting, which when you look at the suicide and abuse and teen pregnancy rates back when people didn't...

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Coercion, sex, and lost faith are all famously new issues young people have not dealt with in the past.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Adenoid Dan posted:

Coercion, sex, and lost faith are all famously new issues young people have not dealt with in the past.

They're still very popular drums to beat.
"Schools are trying to ban prayer and expel students for being Christian." has been a right wing talking point from the very first moment someone decided NOT to mandate in class prayer.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Yeah, that's the other thing with the "why are kids turning away from church" hand-wringing bullshit and nobody stops and asks why, and it reminds me of this blog post about the guy who "protested" General Mills by setting a box of Cheerios on fire in front of their office in 2012, the short version of which is "everyone assumed this guy is some flavor of evangelical Christian because he was rabidly homophobic and for no other reason, and it turned out he was, because that's what we are in the public eye, and that's terrible." So of course kids aren't showing up to churches when it feels like all you're going to hear is "and here's why god wants you to poo poo all over this group of people."

About the only thing that's shifted since that article, which let me point out is eleven loving years old, is exactly which group they're freaking the gently caress out over and want to see oppressed and/or eradicated.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Most of it is just whining about kids talking about mental health or sex and relationships in a public setting, which when you look at the suicide and abuse and teen pregnancy rates back when people didn't...

It's literally that one Kelly comic, except it's about talking/not talking about mental health instead of racism. (but also some racism)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I know I will catch hell from the woke Lycanthrope Lobby for saying this, but I must remain resolute in my principles: werewolves have no place in public schools.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

Double standards By Luo Jie

Le Monde

by Rodrigo from Portugal
"Are we supposed to destroy that one too?"

Charlie Hebdo

Raising the GDP is a familial duty.
So it seems that the illegal drug trade and sex work, both illegal in France are counted in the France's GDP.

France Stopped
"By whom?"
There's a massive strike starting tomorrow, in protest of the retirement reforms, and there's no stopping date as of yet declared.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pants Donkey posted:

I know I will catch hell from the woke Lycanthrope Lobby for saying this, but I must remain resolute in my principles: werewolves have no place in public schools.

I had to go back a few pages and make sure I didn't skip over anything, is this really not an edit?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Definitely real https://www.creators.com/read/gary-varvel

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on how Rishi Sunak can’t step free of past scandals – Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock were all over the media in the past week reminding voters of the Tories’ multitude of crimes and misdemeanours"

Telegraph:

Matt Hancock rejected advice to cut Covid isolation as it would ‘imply we’ve been wrong’

Times:

Migrants on small boats to be barred from Britain

Evening Standard:

Legislation to stop Channel boats ‘unworkable’, Rishi Sunak warned

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Months ago treasurer Jim Chalmers said he wanted a national conversation on how the tax system can be reformed and this is where we are now given how the media has reacted to a super tax concession change that only the effects the richest 0.5%.

Wilcox:

That's Stuart Robert the former human services minister's testimony about his involvement with robodebt.

Le Lievre:

Lethbridge:

Spooner:

Malcolm Turnbull testified at the robodebt royal commission and whenever he does anything certain conservative commentators get their undies in a bunch.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Andy Marlette

Bob Gorrell

Tom Stiglich

The :jerkbag: accusations of virtue signalling are coming, as always, from the side that wants to make the Pledge of Allegiance mandatory, wants American flags everywhere, and loses their poo poo when the national anthem isn't sung with enough gusto.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

That Gorrell is hard to interpret, and that Stiglich is easy to reinterpret.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

You can't find common sense in any red state so they need to import it from California.

AGC

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pants Donkey posted:

I saw a werewolf with a English textbook in his hand
Walking home from Adams High School in the rain

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

The :jerkbag: accusations of virtue signalling are coming, as always, from the side that wants to make the Pledge of Allegiance mandatory, wants American flags everywhere, and loses their poo poo when the national anthem isn't sung with enough gusto.

I mean it’s not surprising since kindness is seen as weakness by Nazis and other fash but I’m laughing that the EVIL LUBERAL SIGNS include “We love everyone” and “Basic human rights are good”

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There are definitely liberals who make a show of possessing basic human kindness, and it’s a bit eyerolling, but I’m not sure if the guy from the party that went apoplectic over people not wearing American Flag lapel pins should be the one throwing stones about virtue signaling.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

pencilhands posted:

What in the gently caress at that Branco cartoon. It’s literally just straight up hate speech.

Political Cartoons 2023: It's literally just straight up hate speech.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Jeff Danziger

Ann Telnaes

Dave Whamond

Dave Granlund

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Wait, I thought Aflred E. Neumann was supposed to be Mayor Pete

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pants Donkey posted:

No place?! You're mad! Mad I say! Everyone knows the only thing that can stop a bad guy who can turn into a wolf is a good guy who can turn into a wolf!

This whole post reeks of vampire propaganda.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It just really pisses me off that this thread is overflowing with homophobia, transphobia, racism, misogyny, and contempt for all those struggling, and that when this sonofabitch complains about the lack of empathy, it’s code for “why won’t democrats be nice to me and my libertarian ideas”

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
They're really milking the balloon jokes aren't they. I wonder when we'll see the last of them.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Chip Bok

John Deering

Mike Luckovich

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Seems like every year there's some huge mass exodus from California that will surely spell its downfall as a state.