Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Are girdles or pants easier if you want to put it on first before shins/skates or the same? I like to put skates on then shins and ideally would like to put on skates, then pants then shins but I assume it’s hard to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can do skates first with either. With pants have some skate guards on or over time the blades will cut up your pants. For a girdle it's probably easier to un-velcro everything and wrap it around you like a towel.

Skates then shins then pants crew for life. :colbert:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
My pants are too big and my girdle is super snug. They’re about the same difficulty to put on (skates shin pants gang) the biggest challenge is getting your skate boot through the bottom opening in your pants or shell.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

xzzy posted:

You can do skates first with either. With pants have some skate guards on or over time the blades will cut up your pants. For a girdle it's probably easier to un-velcro everything and wrap it around you like a towel.

Skates then shins then pants crew for life. :colbert:

:parrot: That's what I wanted to hear

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Pants then skates, then shins. Why y'all wanna put your skates on first?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It's 10x easier to get your socks and jock together (if you have the Velcro shorts) before you put your pants on.

Socks and jock go on first. Then skates. Then shinguards (tongues inside), pull your socks up and secure to jock shorts. Tape socks. Step into pants. Then shoulders, elbow, helmet.

I've watched people gently caress around with their socks inside their pants after they're going dressed, reaching in trying to Velcro them together blindly and I just don't get it.

Socks didn't used to matter when they were the big knit stretchy cotton socks that you could pull on over your skates but now the slim fit socks are too tight to go over skates.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Jock->shins->socks->pants->skates. Anything else seems weird to me.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Thufir posted:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

It's 10x easier to get your socks and jock together (if you have the Velcro shorts) before you put your pants on.

Socks and jock go on first. Then skates. Then shinguards (tongues inside), pull your socks up and secure to jock shorts. Tape socks. Step into pants. Then shoulders, elbow, helmet.

I've watched people gently caress around with their socks inside their pants after they're going dressed, reaching in trying to Velcro them together blindly and I just don't get it.

Socks didn't used to matter when they were the big knit stretchy cotton socks that you could pull on over your skates but now the slim fit socks are too tight to go over skates.

Yo wtf?! Skates after jock?? I’m calling the cops on you.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Verman posted:

Yes, this is true. Putting one's socks on after putting the pants on would be tough. But I don't get why that means skates must go next.

Socks, pants, skates, shins. If you wear your shins over your skate tongues it's way easier to tie your skates if you do it before you put the shins on. And I don't get why someone would want to have to step into their pants with their skates already on. Maybe it's a little easier to bend over and do shins/skates if the pants aren't in the way, but I like the effort required to overcome my ample dad bod, it's a nice little pre-warmup for me.

I roll my socks down over the top of my shins as the last step. Can be a struggle with the modern style socks if they're too tight.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

LowOnCyan posted:

Oh. I set mine once, and just take it on and off like a breezer. It's become like a customized fitting set of breezers. I think I adjusted like a couple of time in the first 10 skates.
Yep, same here. I always thought the girdle plus shell thing was kind of weird like why are you putting on two things when pants are just one thing. Then I tried a girdle on and was like, why the gently caress didn't I switch to this 30 years ago they are so comfortable? But yeah there is enough give/stretch to pull them on and off without unstrapping everything after every skate, and sometimes I can even get the shell to stay with the girdle and be able to do it all in one.

Thufir posted:

Same. I don't know if it's weird to do it any other way but for me it is probably more of like being taught how to put gear on when I was 5 years old and that is the way it stuck forever. If I were left to my own devices maybe I would have put equipment on a different way but then again if I'm going to wear shorts I don't put my shoes on first and then shorts so seems kind of intuitive to do the feet things after the leg things.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It’s the bending over with bulky pants that I don’t like.

Speaking of, spent yesterday at a pure hockey trying on different pants/chests for a couple hours. A lot of that time of course was spent trying pants on before or after skates. Unfortunately they only had one pair of girdles so I could really try various ones to compare the two. Are there girdles with good coccyx protection like pants? Seems like the one I tried had very little.

I figure given I’ll start playing at low tier D leagues I’ll probably get run into from behind more often than I’d like and end up falling backwards

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Gloves first for hard mode

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

feels for this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODCfQHG4CI4

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Who videotaped me?!?! Something similar happened last week, puck was played out of our zone at the goalie. I was skating towards him and he went to pass it out and fanned on it. I also fanned on the puck laying in the drat crease with a open goal. Probably should have just left the game after that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
That's why you just skate it in that close. Watch how many nhlers will skate it in. Trying to elevate an empty netter is pointless.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Jock, skate socks, shin socks around ankles, skates, shins, put shin socks up, pants.

Tighten skates on bench getting your warmup in because they're too loose.

Loosen them in the first intermission because you can't feel your toes.

Belly crew represent.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I returned my gloves cuz I didn't really like my fingers poking out the end and now I'm looking at pro stock gloves cuz I'm thinking might as well, same price, maybe better shot block protection. I should be satisfied just getting pro stock of my gloves (true catalysts, was looking at cat 9s cuz XCs are apparently terrible) after looking at some reviews, but then I stared into the abyss of CCM pro stock ID codes.

what the hell

Doctor Butts posted:

Jock, skate socks, shin socks around ankles, skates, shins, put shin socks up, pants.

Tighten skates on bench getting your warmup in because they're too loose.

Loosen them in the first intermission because you can't feel your toes.

Belly crew represent.

drat, same.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only gloves worth looking at are Eagle, there will be no changing my mind.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Doctor Butts posted:

This is the way.

I typically tie and let my feet get used to them. Then tighten when the zam is on the ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had so many problems with foot pain when starting out that I'm pretty methodical about lacing up. Each eyelet gets a certain amount of tension and it results in a pretty consistent feel once I'm on the ice.

Which is good because fixing laces on the bench with full gear on sucks rear end.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It’s taken most of a season, but I’m finally putting all the pieces together. Had four shots on net, created 3-4 chances from the low slot, and had a half dozen takeaways, plus a tip that went wide.

I also tried to make a move on a zone entry and wiped out in my transition to a crossover from my mohawk so that brought me back down to earth. But I carried the puck through the move until I fell. That was fun too.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I do regular socks, jock, hockey socks, girdle, skate, then roll up the hockey socks and put shin pads on.

As a goalie, I do regular socks, jock, knee pads, knee guards, hockey socks, skates, pants, leg pads.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I keep reading socks and regular socks and hockey socks. :smoobles: You know what would make things a lot less confusing wrt socks and hockey socks is that if hockey socks were called by their rightful term: leg warmers. I've gotten some pushback amongst the crowd here for calling them that but others are like yeah that's what they are.

There seems to be a variation with velcro on top that's more form fitting and are more or less chaps?

Also it seems like there's no real reason to buy retail protectives when pro stock seems to be cheaper and yet more protection? It's a whole lot more research to look for the specific CCM or Bauer models to get, but it seems that, especially for pants and gloves, you might as well go pro stock. For the other stuff, wait until there's new stock and go for clearance sales or look for cheaper/equivalent priced pro stock too.

Except for helmets. The pro stock helmets look terrible in the Virginia Tech helmet ratings site.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I'm talking hockey the sock inside my skate isn't in the conversation. The "socks" are the things that cover up the shin guards. :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You should get your socks replaced if they have holes that big :byodood:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

You should get your socks replaced if they have holes that big :byodood:

But then how would you put your foot inside it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

just don’t use socks in your skates problem solved

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I tried it once and got nasty blisters so normal footsocks it is. I do wear the thinnest ones I can find though.

"footsock" is from this point forward the canonical term for the sock that goes inside your skate boot.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
What does everyone do for base layers?

I have knee high thin Bauer socks, a jock strap + cup, compression shorts with Velcro tabs, and a compression shirt with the long sleeves you fold over your elbow pads. If I’m playing roller hockey I have compression shorts jock combo with built in pads for hips tailbone and thighs.

I used to play high school sports of all kinds with just Hanes boxers and athletic shorts, no base layers at all but that’s just gross so I try to be fully covered under my gear.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A long sleeve shirt, maybe it’s washed maybe it isn’t

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

What does everyone do for base layers?

Compression shirt, mesh boxers/cup, compression leg sleeves, and regular old cotton socks. I don't like the feeling of gear against my bare skin.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Base layer? Are you going skiing?

The only thing I wear under gear is feet socks, jock shorts. No long underwear/compression stuff. No shirt. I'll overheat if I wear anything more. It's been a very long time since I've been to a rink cold enough that I feel the need to wear anything else.

If I'm playing outdoor and it's under 30, then I'll throw on a base layer. Maybe wool socks.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Sweat wicking shirt and compression shorts with jock of a similar material. Gotta put all that sticky sweat somewhere.

Skates on last though. Doubles as stretching, right?

I have a compression sleeve that goes over my shin guards too. They move around a little more than I’d like without it, and sock tape isn’t doing it for me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah I wear a moisture wicking polyester long sleeve and leggings. I use it for biking in the summer too. Better to keep the sun off and it’s nice and breathable

I’ve tried gear on base skin and it’s gross af

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I forgot a wicking shirt for drop in once and it felt horrible having my shoulder pads against my skin. I'm sure people that do it are well used to it but I'm too old to change.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I forgot my compression shirt one game a few weeks ago and I felt like I was skating around in a crop top.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Yeah I forgot my compression shirt one time and wore a t shirt under my shoulder pads and it was extremely nasty.

I bought a whole bunch of the compression jock shorts I wear so I'm set for the rest of my playing days. Wish I'd done that with my gloves. I've been wearing them for 7 years now and they're holding up well, but I know they'll fall apart eventually. I stopped using a long tape job on the shaft of my stick, I just put a lil knob on it, and I honestly think it's why these gloves are lasting so long.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Found a big ol skate cut on the inside thumb of one of my gloves.

I don't know when it happened but I don't like the possibility of thought of how close my digits were to getting stepped on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
We won 5-4 in a shootout last night! Our literal first shootout win in 24 games that I played with this team now.

It was 2-4 with 40 seconds left of 4v4 hockey and we scored twice in 20 seconds. It loving ruled.