Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I'll have to try to remember to address the musing about Zenos's opinions on Fordola once we're at a place where my memory isn't just fuzzy enough to drop accidental spoilers. I'm fairly certain nothing coming up changes it, but I wouldn't want to put money on that, y'know?

As for the dungeon, yeah as someone with no emotional attachment to FFVI I found this dungeon to be a snoozefest when I played through the first time myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Sanguinia posted:

I had a suspicion when Zenos said what she had after the experiment was far greater than magic. Seeing this confirmed it. There's only one explanation for this ability to avoid attacks she can't see. The same ability Kheris has that allows her to see where a blow will land before her enemies strike.

Fordola has been given an artificial Echo.

AOE-markers-as-Echo is one of those ideas that goes several ways in discussion.

As you've likely noticed in solo duties and particularly any Duty Support you've tried, non-Echo-user NPCs are perfectly able to avoid attack markers. One could put that down to concessions between gameplay and fiction, but then we're right back where we started, eh? Usually, though, any particularly direct callouts like "look out, she's going to drop a meteor on us!" is accompanied by plenty more signs than an orange circle. One can presume, then, that other combatants are just pretty good at reading other signs of danger, we just have an easier time. And, hey, often enough we need to pay more attention than that if a boss decides to be tricky.

On the one hand, a game UI being an in-fiction power is something of a trite idea, particularly in the recent glut of video game isekai fiction. As such, some will dismiss such a thing out of hand.

I still like the idea, though, personally. The Echo is a pretty wonky thing most of the time, with any viewing of the past being effectively random, at best guess triggered by strong emotional resonance or somesuch. There's other more subtle manifestations, too, such as our ability to understand languages, or Krile's hazy sixth sense. (I don't think we have a lot of detail on that)

As such, it's nice to think that of these abilities, there's at least a few bits that are a bit more reliable, and give us a leg up on of some of the more dangerous parts of the job.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

Back when 4.0 first launched, Castrum Abania was a motherfucker of a dungeon. The final boss hit goddamn hard.

Was this during the cross class/limited role skills era because I remember doing that final boss with healers that did not have esuna for that bleed

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

Echo-as UI thoughts
It's a somewhat trite idea now, but at the time 4.0 was being written I don't think it was quite as overused—and in any case if you're going to go for that particular well, you may as well do it in an actual video game and have an NPC do it better than many players would (plenty of people have stories about Obliviously Standing In The Bad) to really hammer it home.

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 7, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, Abania is my least favorite dungeon from Stormblood.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Was this during the cross class/limited role skills era because I remember doing that final boss with healers that did not have esuna for that bleed

I think it might have been. I was playing AST at the time and the class was a bit undertuned back at 4.0 and that dungeon was incredibly unfun - especially since a lot of tanks were incredibly undergeared. That boss could easily two-shot a tank in seconds.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Role Actions were implemented in Stormblood, but if memory serves me correctly you could only still have a certain amount of them, so it wouldn't surprise me if Healers who aren't used to having Esuna didn't slot it in favor of Swiftcast/Surecast/Lucid Dreaming.

e: Oh right, also Protect, and possibly the last gasps of Cleric Stance.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 7, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sanguinia posted:

Holy poo poo! I joked before, but she is ACTUALLY an anime villain now. Nothing personal, kid.

Fordola is basically going through her Sasuke Uchiha arc at the moment, from a katana wielding baddie in all black telling her that she needs more hatred to become strong to developing a magical red eye power that lets her predict people's movements.

I don't think that's on purpose, but the similarities are striking.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Fordola is basically going through her Sasuke Uchiha arc at the moment, from a katana wielding baddie in all black telling her that she needs more hatred to become strong to developing a magical red eye power that lets her predict people's movements.

I don't think that's on purpose, but the similarities are striking.

We already had a Naruto ripoff in this game with Ninja 30-50 gosh darn it!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I don't think Doma was completely inconsequential to Zenos, but it was a beaten people and he doesn't relish the meek who have lost hope of rebellion. He was pretty notably pleased that the ragtag group of farmers was out for a fight despite clearly being outmatched - his uncomfortable pressure on Yotsuyu afterwards was to stoke the flames, not because he actually wanted to quash them. Even if the Warrior of Light is his most promising quarry, he still wants to encourage that spirit in others for the possibility of producing someone with the fervor and hunger to challenge him through adversity. That AND/or temper his chosen prey - he's a real multitasker, this Zenos.

For the dungeon, some of the pulls in themselves could be a right threat (remembering healing the tank who tried a wall pull on the first week with everything I had and still having to rez them, though we did limp through without a wipe), and yeah, not only are the bosses FFVI references, Number XXIV is based off of Magic Master, whose gimmick was changing which elemental damage he was weak to with every attack (assuming you didn't just Berserk him).

The bleed could be pretty heavy on Inferno early on, as well. Like, actual "might wanna do something about it" at the time.

As for the gear, more Tactics Ogre references:
Fending is Lanselot Hamilton (the "hair" on the hood being his, naturally), though without the cape.

Maiming is the Rune Fencer generic - the female Valkyrie variant isn't used here.

Striking/Scouting and Aiming are an interesting bit - they're all based on the Archer generic, but Striking/Scouting gets the female variant and Aiming gets the male variant.

Casting/Healing gets Catiua's unique Dark Priest appearance.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
The good dps means you also missed an entire phase of Inferno: The evil scientist in the intercom says it’s time to restock the machine or something, so the boss goes to the machine and two magitek claws spawn carrying tubes. You need to kill the claws before they reach the machine, or else the boss gets BOTH arms all roided up and the mechanics get a lot tougher to dodge.

That’s the other thing of the fight. The patterns that show up are left arm/right arm attacks, and those attacks change depending on if that arm is big or not. For example, the tank buster normally is just a slap, but also applies a bleed if the tank busting arm is all muscley.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Like Clockwork posted:

As for the dungeon, yeah as someone with no emotional attachment to FFVI I found this dungeon to be a snoozefest when I played through the first time myself.

fwiw as someone WITH an enormous emotional attachment to ff6 I found castrum abania equally a snoozefest. Even the fanservice is boring fanservice.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

I really enjoyed the FF6 references my first time through, but didn't wind up loving the place nearly as much as I thought I was going to.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I mostly like Castrum Abania for having more Tactics Ogre gear. That's about it, honestly.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah Castrum Abania is probably the most forgettable post ARR story dungeon for sure, and I'm a big FF6 fan. I actually forgot it was a duty and queued into it by surprise once. I appreciated all the old magitek bosses though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I was expecting to meet someone named Jack Russel when I was sent to Radiata. Kinda sad that didn't happen.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Sanguinea posted:

The description is raw enough that M'Naago seems a bit ashamed of herself. I doubt she ever considered the problems those who live this close to the Empire's centers of power endure. Her war has been in the countryside, evading patrols, disrupting couriers, and helping the settlements being bled dry for the Empire's profits stay alive. This is something new, and she will see much more before the war ends. It's no surprise that she stays silent for the rest of the cutscene, nor that her next words are about how much she dwells on regret every time she kills an Ala Mhigan.
I'd actually forgotten M'Naago playing the fist here in Radiata, when the young'uns attack Lyse. It's an interesting contrast with Lyse's growing/firming ideal. I suppose a good Revolution needs both the open hand and the clenched fist; the trick being, as ever, to know when to use each.

I like what they do with Ala Ghiri and Radiata quite a bit.

The guys who wrote Stormblood really do seem intent on shining a spotlight on every dark corner of war. The Skulls weren't enough; they're warriors and soldiers, fighting their battles and lording it over the other Ala Mhigans. You need to show the civilian collaborators, just going along with everything. And on the inside: just as terrified of displeasing their Garlean masters as anyone else in the Peaks, willing to turn on anyone if it will let them live another day. Because that's also something occupation does to people.

But despite everything on display here, here and there, they let individual Garleans be... okay. Every now and then they let a Doman conscript remember his past or a Garlean be willing to stop fighting, to remind you it's humans under those masks.

quote:

But to Fordola, freedom can come only through power. To be free, she must have authority over those that would threaten her, the ability to take and spare life at her whim.
In other words: She has to be Zenos.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sanguinia posted:

We already had a Naruto ripoff in this game with Ninja 30-50 gosh darn it!

I don't think Fordola and Karasu would get along at all.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

dyslexicfaser posted:

I suppose a good Revolution needs both the open hand and the clenched fist; the trick being, as ever, to know when to use each.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

Bruceski posted:

I really enjoyed the FF6 references my first time through, but didn't wind up loving the place nearly as much as I thought I was going to.

This is my thoughts on this place too.

The only fun memory I have of this place other than my first run was during Endwalker prelaunch. I grabbed the new healer and immediately jumped into Leveling Roulette. I was matched with two people who had grabbed the new DPS and a tank who had been on a long hiatus. We all looked at each other, realized that none of us truly knew how to play our jobs, then realized that none of us remembered the dungeon, and proceeded to charge through with all the finesse of four button-mashing newbie kids at a fighting game tourney.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i think i remember running Abania like twice, total, ever

once for msq and then once during like.... shadowbringers, and i very much went "i have no memory of this place..."

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Thundarr posted:

Castrum Abania is full of FFVI references, and like you noted all three bosses were bosses in that game. Part of why it is so easily stomped now is that, as a level 69 dungeon, players get synched to level 70, when most jobs get a significant capstone ability on top of tomestone gear that is wildly stronger than StB leveling gear. It was a pretty rough dungeon once, honest!

Occasionally during roulette ill get sprouts trying to get that last bit of exp before level 70 and with them underrgeared that last boss can really tear through tanks if he gets powered up.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The dungeon gear is pretty slick though

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
If you run Mentor Roulette as a tank you get lots of leveling dungeons, and so I've seen all the SB dungeons a whole bunch. Bardam's has the hardest trash pulls, but the last boss of Castrum, as has already been mentioned, hits really drat hard. In particular his tank busters both have really short castbars, so you have to really be looking for them to pop cooldowns in time, and apply a quite nasty bleed, so you're gambling on having a healer who actually knows where their Esuna button is. If both tank and healer are level 69 it's a scary fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Hogama posted:

Number XXIV is based off of Magic Master, whose gimmick was changing which elemental damage he was weak to with every attack (assuming you didn't just Berserk him).

Technically that's correct, as Magic Master does share a design. However, the aforementioned Magitek Laboratory does have a boss named Number 024, which is the more direct inspiration.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Technically that's correct, as Magic Master does share a design. However, the aforementioned Magitek Laboratory does have a boss named Number 024, which is the more direct inspiration.
I'm going to keep it real, I completely forgot about that guy being there. I remembered the Magna Roader, the Shiva/Ifrit fight, the Number 128 fight (of course Inferno would be the one NOT actually in the Magitek Laboratory), and the Cranes, but he's just a big ol' blank in the memory.
I guess if it's any consolation to myself, the concept art was for Magic Master.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Magic Master was an optional boss atop a really tall magic tower that cast ultima on you after you beat him -- he was guarding the doublecast trinket. But he was just a reskin of a boss either in the dungeon everyone was talking about or in kefkas tower

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Magic Master a reskin of No. 024 from the magitek research facility.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My follow-up was only meant to say that the Amano design is for an enemy called Magic Master. That Squaresoft used the art for No. 024 as well and put it earlier in the game is just like drawing a Malboro and it being used first in the game earlier as a lower level enemy called a Morbol.

As a different aside, Number 128, the "proper" Magitek Research Facility variant of Inferno (who was in the final dungeon of FFVI instead), was already a name used in FFXIV multiple times - the fate "I'm a Rock, Not a Number" in Outer La Noscea uses it for a rock golem, but the enemy first appeared even further back in 1.0's twilight.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I've been reading a lot of the posts here thinking to myself "Aww, but I like Lyse." So I'm glad the OP sees the good in her arc.

On a basic level I agree she's a bit hurt by the shift to Doma and could have used more buildup to becoming the Leader. And in my own experience, I liked the funny doofus Yda, and was a bit sad that developing the character had to mean shedding that completely- but I never felt like it was a pure Mary Sue thing. She's not instantly competent and smart after taking off the mask, she's very explicitly in over her head for much of this and that's good, that gives her a challenge to overcome. You could well ask why she has to be the leader and not Mnaago or whoever but that's not really the point.

So like a lot of things in Stormblood, I see Lyse's arc being rushed as a flaw but not a fatal one. And I never found her unsympathetic. She's trying her best.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I barely remember Castrum Abania outside of the bosses. I guess the main problem is that it doesn't stand out compared to most of the other Castrums.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
To me the amusing thing is that this the only time we actually see the historical Raubahn that Ilberd eulogized at the banquet, before he had "gone soft", aaaaaaaaand it turns out that Raubahn has always been suspicious of visionaries suggesting he put his life on the line for a cause. (Which is probably a talent that served him well on the syndicate.) And of course, Ilberd himself was hooked from the get-go as soon as the firery speeches began.

EDIT:
Honestly, I found Fordola's speech to be about war being complicated and full of hard choices and sacrifices, and Lyse's screaming rebuttal felt like she is still sees everything as this two dimensional black/white perspective that she's been privileged to hold because she hasn't seen anything that's been going on inside Ala Mhigo all these years.

But look, I'm a Deep Space Nine fan, so my expectations for "terrorists turned resistance leader" stories is maybe a little higher than what can be delivered in an FFXIV campaign, because Lyse is no Major Kira, or at least not yet. A part of me hopes though that the Lyse eventually gets to have her "Duet", an great episode in DS9's otherwise awful first season wherein Kira meets a Cardassian with a mysterious past who eventually turns out to be a defector publicly identifying himself as a fascist instigator of genocide, so he can be put to death for the war crimes, believing it's the only wake up call that will bring his people to get over their hurt egos and old bigotries. Though it was a bottle episode written without any idea where DS9's overall narrative was going, that character wound up being something of a prophet as the Cardassians turned themselves into a regional fighting force, something like the Skulls, for a far more vast totalitarian space empire as the show went on.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 7, 2023

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ilberd clearly internalized a maximalist view of the speech, and proceeded to spend the rest of his life resenting anybody who didn't throw themselves into the cause with the same level of zeal he felt. What he says in the flashback doesn't really contradict what he says at the banquet, at least from his own perspective as a violent ideologue. In his head the only way for Raubahn to have not gone soft was if he'd become just as ruthless as Ilberd.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

EDIT:
Honestly, I found Fordola's speech to be about war being complicated and full of hard choices and sacrifices, and Lyse's screaming rebuttal felt like she is still sees everything as this two dimensional black/white perspective that she's been privileged to hold because she hasn't seen anything that's been going on inside Ala Mhigo all these years.

I mean, sure not everything is black and white but collaborating with the oppressor to murder your own allies is pretty much wrong no matter what. Fordola's passed the point of no return here- she's got everything invested in this idea that this is the only way and if she admits it's wrong then everything else she did was wrong too.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Craptacular! posted:

EDIT:
Fordola just got done killing all of her own friends and some of Lyse's. You can see that nothing Fordola said was going to be good enough, but especially not the Hard Choices line she's peddling.

Whether there's any validation of Fordola's world-view, well... we'll have to see if the purpose she sacrificed them for – to get a seat at the Garlean table – works out for her. I suspect it's not and it won't.

Although I'd also be here for her to turn into a Zenos-type tyrant making them accept her.

dyslexicfaser fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 7, 2023

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean, sure not everything is black and white but collaborating with the oppressor to murder your own allies is pretty much wrong no matter what. Fordola's passed the point of no return here- she's got everything invested in this idea that this is the only way and if she admits it's wrong then everything else she did was wrong too.

I should note: Fordola's one of my least favorite characters because she comes across as a true believer. I'll talk more about that in the future when we get to a later scene. But here she's sacrificing allies, yes, but it's a sacrifice that she herself would be willing to take. She herself is just the one tasked pushing the button because she's Special now, and if anything she seems to regret that she's the one that's going to survive here.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
As a big FFVI fan, I enjoyed seeing the Castrum Abania bosses, but it's a shame they didn't try to include a remix of the Magitek Factory music. That theme kicked rear end.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I should note: Fordola's one of my least favorite characters because she comes across as a true believer. I'll talk more about that in the future when we get to a later scene. But here she's sacrificing allies, yes, but it's a sacrifice that she herself would be willing to take. She herself is just the one tasked pushing the button because she's Special now, and if anything she seems to regret that she's the one that's going to survive here.

someone willing to do whatever she has to do, fight whatever she has to fight, so she and hers can finally be free, eh

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Fordola's already shown herself to be the kind of woman who would make this choice even before she pushed the button. This isn't a super-shocking turn for her, so much as the inevitable escalation of her worldview given enough desperation and a boss who encourages her worst responses.

Incidentally, external sources put her age at 19 years old, same as Arenvald (spoilered just because I don't think specific ages ever come up in-game? It's never actually important, though). She's one of the few major characters on the Garlean side younger than Zenos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I think another thing to consider is as much that Zenos doesn't really care about people, he is surprisingly good at reading them. And he is first and foremost only concerned with a fight. He doesn't want a lasting victory.

He elevated Yotsuyu to power because she would drive the Domans to the brink of desperation, out of hopes that they would rise up. Who's to say he's not doing the same with Fordola here? She's a reasonably highly-placed, highly capable warrior who had a devoted following previously and remains an influential officer. Forcing her to kill her friends - those she very closely values - while simultaneously granting her the Echo sure feels like a "Well, if Kheris disappoints me, I'll have a backup murderdate on my dance card."