Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Don't you just hate it when you see something and realize there's been something missing from your life?

So... are the Grandmas the ones we have to defend against? Mine different ingredients for more complex cookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Is there a mod that does something like let me add notes to planets or stars in the map?

While I'm at it, is there a mod that does something like just flat-out demolish everything on a planet with one click?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I just name the planets and stars with the purpose/note.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There is for sure one for the former, but I can't recall the name or find it . I have it installed at home so if no one has found it by then I'll update the post.

Bulldozer will do the latter, and more.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Thanks.

Another quick one: Will logistics bots feed towers? Like, can I use them to keep a tower supplied with warpers without taking up either an inventory slot or a belt input?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the note one

They won't feed towers directly but you can set up a box with a distributor on top and request it from another box and then run that into your tower, but you can run that into the secret sixth warp slot I think. But it's gonna cost you a belt hole. Though there are...dark mods that can address this problem.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Thanks.

Another quick one: Will logistics bots feed towers? Like, can I use them to keep a tower supplied with warpers without taking up either an inventory slot or a belt input?

Not without taking up a belt input, no. The logistics bots and towers are effectively independent, as far as I’ve seen.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

zoux posted:

Here's the note one

They won't feed towers directly but you can set up a box with a distributor on top and request it from another box and then run that into your tower, but you can run that into the secret sixth warp slot I think. But it's gonna cost you a belt hole. Though there are...dark mods that can address this problem.

Please :nws: your factory game dirty talk

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I've got a planet orbiting a gas giant. I've got orbital collectors on the giant and they're full of hydrogen. I've got a fractionator setup on the planet with an ILS set for remote demand of hydrogen and remote supply of deuterium.

It keeps taking hydrogen deliveries from other systems, leaving the nearby collectors full of hydrogen and stopping production at the fractionation while those vessels warp in. Why isn't it just prioritizing the nearby collectors for its input?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

can't you limit the radius of the ILS so that it's only in system or w/e? or is that exports only and imports take from anywhere

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Or don't supply warpers to the ILS importing hydrogen (or just build a separate one for in-system use only).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

But if I limit radius or don't supply warpers, then it won't deliver deuterium to anywhere either, right?

Yeah, guess I'll need to have a separate tower solely to bring in the hydrogen. Dumb.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That tower can use local logistics bots to supply the local tower, so you can plop it wherever if that helps

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Station range limiter lets you, well. Dial the towers serving your fractionators down to 1 LY and that should be that

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Idk if it were this way initially, but I just realized that logistics stations can be put on top of large storages now!

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

I know, I'll build a bot mall!

Oh god what is happening :thunkgun: These logistic box bots are pretty tedious to set up. I should have spent more time making a 4-input, 1-output blueprint that I could just plonk down and set ingredients on but I started off getting cute with direct inserting the belt and assembler tiers and was trying to get way too cute with it. Really missing the Factorio click-on-building, click-on-box bot automation.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MerrMan posted:

I know, I'll build a bot mall!

Oh god what is happening :thunkgun: These logistic box bots are pretty tedious to set up. I should have spent more time making a 4-input, 1-output blueprint that I could just plonk down and set ingredients on but I started off getting cute with direct inserting the belt and assembler tiers and was trying to get way too cute with it. Really missing the Factorio click-on-building, click-on-box bot automation.

I like the idea of a bot-mall, but setting it up to have them largely replaced by drones soon-ish doesn’t feel right. Maybe if they were available a little earlier in the tree it’d feel alright?

That said, I’m building a combo-mall for buildings using an ILS feeding a large storage to get things into the bot network, so we’ll see how that goes :v:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My sister got into this game and as a result now I'm doing a new run which I haven't done since the dawn of official blueprints. Love all the new QoL stuff and I'm having a great time. However, my brain always starts to hurt when it comes to expand power infrastructure. How do people handle it? I always hated that even when loaded with a lens that a ray receiver will only generate 30mw of power. And I hate having to set up power from scratch on new planets and/or new systems. Any cool ways people handle it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

To start it's windmills, but as soon as you can start burning coal switch to thermal. Run coal until you get to your next planet, then start making solar panels. I have 3 blue prints for the polar regions: one for the cap, and then one for each of the two bands, you can get to fusion power with solar easy, and fusion will take you to AM easy. People like to use equatorial bands but I don't because that's prime real estate, so I just go with a polar cap and add in bands as I need them. I don't gently caress with windmills really.

You can also set up a rock crushing - > silicon -> solar panel trickle, but that's only going to get you enough solar panels to scale at about the same time as you would if you waited until you get to Planet Silicon, but it may be worth it to you.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Solar panel belts around the equator never really run out of style.

Though once you get to the point you're making fusion, or even antimatter rods for yourself just increase the production of those and create a blueprint of an interplanetary tower and connected power plants.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

The easy way to get power on new planets is to remember that unpowered logistic stations can still export and import products, they just can't send out any vessels of their own. So when you hit a new planet, place an ILS that's set to remote demand fuel rods and your other stations will fill it up. Run belts from the unpowered ILS to a couple of generators. You'll need to pick up a single fuel rod off the belt and drop it into your generator to bootstrap power for your sorters, but then the whole thing just works automatically.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Weirdly you shouldn't use your sphere to make power directly, instead use photon mode and make antimatter cells and those miniature sun plants.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They ought to rebalance power, push exchangers and dyson sphere as the most efficient and abundant energy sources at end game. I wouldn't mind seeing suns go away altogether, they're an awkwardly sized model and they look stupid. It makes sense thematically to use dyson spheres around especially bright stars and ship that energy around the system, it's the most complicated system and should have the highest rewards instead of "I guess if you have a tidally locked planet it's on par with fusion". Whatever it is, they need to delink antimatter and dyson energy.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think I'd be satisfied if the ray receivers had a greater power cap since it's so hard to utilize all the power a Dyson Sphere generates.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I mainly just want a less clunky/dumb looking antimatter reactor. "Miniature sun" um...we're generated energy via matter-antimatter annihilation. A miniature sun implies fusion, which we already have.

And yeah, ray receivers should be able to generate more power directly.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
I like the way ray receivers work right now. You start using them to generate energy directly, which is the inefficient, but more convenient way to utilize the Sphere's power. Then you unlock the critical photon -> antimatter fuel rod pipeline, the more efficient, refined way to utilize the Sphere's power. Like Zoux said:

zoux posted:

...It makes sense thematically to use dyson spheres around especially bright stars and ship that energy around the system...

To me this is what the antimatter fuel rods represent, the energy created by the Sphere, concentrated and made transportable. Which is also why generating photons draws considerable more power. But the model of the antimatter reactor/ miniature sun kinda undermines that. The way it looks to me implies that it is a stable process that generates energy without input. Instead it should look like a place where you turn the energy compressed into antimatter fuel rods back into a usable state. Maybe enclose the model of the mini sun, make it look like a mini version of the Dyson Spheres in Stellaris

With pulsing streaks of light that imply that lots of energy is being unleashed inside.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Replace fusion reactor model with miniature sun model.

Create a new even cooler matter annihilation model.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is it just my system, or does everyone have a weird "[ALM]" symbol after every percentage sign in the game?

edit: here's what I mean

ymgve fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 9, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Haven't played yet today but I haven't noticed anything like that.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
289 hours later...

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
i picked a good time to catch up on this thread again

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
The combat update isn't out yet right? Any word on scheduling? I'm thinking of spinning up a new playthrough.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Talorat posted:

The combat update isn't out yet right? Any word on scheduling? I'm thinking of spinning up a new playthrough.

Their latest steam posts say that the combat update is the only goal on their roadmap for 2023. They also said that Covid slowed them down at the st art of the year, and that 2 of their devs got their first child. No specific schedule given.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm watching my sister play a new game and her new cluster has a black hole just 5 lightyears away from her home system. I'm pretty jealous of that; they're usually one of the furthest systems away.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So what's the deal with black holes that makes them special?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Breetai posted:

So what's the deal with black holes that makes them special?

Black holes and neutron stars spawn unipolar magnets which cuts out a huge chunk of motor demand for late game stuff. Plus they're just cool to sphere.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

SettingSun posted:

I'm watching my sister play a new game and her new cluster has a black hole just 5 lightyears away from her home system. I'm pretty jealous of that; they're usually one of the furthest systems away.

The further away a system is, the more resources it has, so it's easier to mine the magnets without fear of running out (until you get high enough level of mining tech).

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Dev log for Dark Fog is up with a lot of technical details.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The more they put out for Dark Fog the more I'm excited for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Schnitzler posted:

and that 2 of their devs got their first child.

quote:

By the way, here's a good news: The producer couple's baby was born last month! Currently they are still in the hospital, one hand holding the baby and the other hand coding Dyson Sphere Program.

Awww that’s cute, good for them.