Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"What Remains is just Garden of Salvation right? Unless this one level is what they spent all their time on and just copy pasted the rest of Neomuna together from Braytech assets.

It’s much of it backwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

honestly it would be intensely funny if banshee learned that he was clovis and then just forgot. i mean he forgot that cayde was dead even though there have been memorials to him all over the tower for several years

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"What Remains is just Garden of Salvation right? Unless this one level is what they spent all their time on and just copy pasted the rest of Neomuna together from Braytech assets.

Yeah you start right before the boss area and run all the way back to the start. The platforms aren't in the raid though.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Kith posted:

honestly it would be intensely funny if banshee learned that he was clovis and then just forgot. i mean he forgot that cayde was dead even though there have been memorials to him all over the tower for several years

"Well at least I'm not that guy"

No, Banshee. No, you're not. :unsmith:

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Oxyclean posted:

Christ Overloads in LLS are the most miserable and unbalancerd bullshit to deal with. I'm sorry but they should not have an immunity period and/or should just not have the absurd health regen in tandem to their ability spam.

Sweet Business is fuckin great when auto/smg is anti-overload. Also, Sweet Business is fuckin great any day of the week.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

abraham linksys posted:

also the original plan for taken king was for it to include the EDZ and Europa, lmao. then they rebooted it and were going to have it be dreadnaught + a new area on Mars, but then that area of Mars got cut and ended up getting developed by High Moon Studios for Warmind

High Moon revamped that expansion Mars space into Io for D2. They even kept the names of the zones for the most part. You can see the design in a TTK pvp map that takes place in the same named space with the Pyramidion in the background, it was just on Mars. EDIT: https://www.destinypedia.com/Crossroads. Almost all of the assets from this map were reskinned and repurposed into Io, as they were made for D1's original 2nd major expansion, Vex Void. The theme for that expansion eventually became the Season of Undying, including it's intro cinematic.

Vicarious Visions created Warmind. It's Mars space was entirely new (but obviously based on Bungie's work for Mars in D1).

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 6, 2023

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Give d2 to VV/HMS to take care of forever imo. Before this release I simply wanted them to be involved again but now I'd prefer them be the ones driving the bus and crushing bungie beneath the wheels of their success

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
https://youtu.be/Gf82ibtm2mw

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm not all the way through Lightfall but Strand kind feels. . . okay, as a Hunter. Tangle's handy, Super is basically the kusarigama version of Arc Staff, grappling is whatever. As far as Darkness subclasses go I like Stasis way more. It's a lot more conducive to my playstyle of zipping around and controlling the battlefield by freezing things. Silence and Squall is tied with Blade Barrage as my favorite super. The campaign has had its frustrating moments but it hasn't been bad, just not hitting the high notes that Witch Queen did.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

PathAsc posted:

Give d2 to VV/HMS to take care of forever imo. Before this release I simply wanted them to be involved again but now I'd prefer them be the ones driving the bus and crushing bungie beneath the wheels of their success

Sony should be given these studios as part of the Microsoft/Activision deal, as well as the Tony Hawk license

That said lmao who's favorite Destiny expansion is Warmind?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

RocketRaygun posted:

High Moon revamped that expansion Mars space into Io for D2. They even kept the names of the zones for the most part. You can see the design in a TTK pvp map that takes place in the same named space with the Pyramidion in the background, it was just on Mars.

Somehow I knew this about the pvp map but forgot that was part of the broader process that turned Mars into Io

Byf should make a 5 hour video about the development of Destiny, harder to keep track of than any lore

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah. GoS abridged and reversed, same jobby they did to DSC with Seraph Shield

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I wonder if something is also going on with the QSS grenades - they aren't giving bonkers damage numbers, but i've been one-shotting blights in the battleground, and the oracles in Terminal Overload, when special ammo weapons or primary fire feel like they take much more to bring those down.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

if we don't get best girl Riven or some ahamkara poo poo in this dreaming city season I will freaking lose it...

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Finished the quest for final warning. That was…a lot of terminal overloads…

On the upside, this gun fuckin’ rips

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

arsenicCatnip posted:

if we don't get best girl Riven or some ahamkara poo poo in this dreaming city season I will freaking lose it...
I mean, it's not really a dreaming city season, it's awoken flavor, but the season is entirely earth/human centric. The other battlegrounds are listed in the triumphs - Cosmodrome and "Orbital Prison" and the exotic quest is Something to do with the vex net, for some reason

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I wonder if Asher is going to be the one to give us the Vexcalibur?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Asher and Sloane are guaranteed to be involved in this and next season

Brother Vance can't make an appearance because he's busy recording the followup to Hope For the Future

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

abraham linksys posted:

Sony should be given these studios as part of the Microsoft/Activision deal, as well as the Tony Hawk license

I mean, I didn't mind warmind but I was more getting at the point that those two studios were immensely better at handling and optimizing the jank that is the tiger engine than bungie is. Other games they've touched I've thoroughly enjoyed, so there's obv some bias there but it's not like it isn't earned imo.

Idfk what bungie is doing but destiny feels like it's on cash cow product status to them and not main labor of love. Whatever they're working on outside of d2 can die in a fire for all I care, I'm just becoming a salt elemental adept because I really want the drat game to be what it definitely has the ability to be.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Brother Vance can't make an appearance because he's busy recording the followup to Hope For the Future

Lmao goddamn

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

abraham linksys posted:

Somehow I knew this about the pvp map but forgot that was part of the broader process that turned Mars into Io

Byf should make a 5 hour video about the development of Destiny, harder to keep track of than any lore

Jason Schrier wrote a book about it! It's actually pretty good. It's called Blood Sweat and Pixels. Covers more than just Destiny, and all the stories in there are just as detailed and fantastic.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

It's not my favorite, but Warmind was an improvement over Red War and Curse of Osiris. I still have a lingering fondness for Extinction Protocol. It just suffered from the anemic postgame of year 1 content, where there wasn't much reason to keep playing after you've beaten the campaign. gently caress that RNG based triumph for the warmind nodes though.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Yeah exotics were never sunset (though some of them have been somewhat left behind by power creep) so you can still use your favorite year 1 exotics and just need to infuse them to bring the power level up.

I've been loving around with Polaris Lance for just about all of my campaign and post campaign run on my Hunter.
Still fun!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PathAsc posted:

I mean, I didn't mind warmind but I was more getting at the point that those two studios were immensely better at handling and optimizing the jank that is the tiger engine than bungie is.

You couldn’t use sparrows on Mercury for years because they couldn’t figure out how they broke it and Bungie eventually fixed it for them. They did good work but let’s not pretend they were in the god tier of developers or would have kept it up without Bungie involved

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PathAsc posted:

those two studios were immensely better at handling and optimizing the jank that is the tiger engine than bungie is.

they kept cloning entire asset groups instead of using the existing purpose-built dependencies and are in fact the reason that so much poo poo had to be sunset due to bloating the hell out of the game and making an absolute mess of its organization

they were not "immensely better" at anything and were actually significantly worse at everything but "releasing content on time"

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Do Dune Marchers not proc on Sunbreaker hammer throw anymore? I thought they did.

And I cannot believe Ashen Wake still has no skins. I loved my fastball hammer build in BL, but drat they are ugly and go with nothing.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Do Dune Marchers not proc on Sunbreaker hammer throw anymore? I thought they did.

And I cannot believe Ashen Wake still has no skins. I loved my fastball hammer build in BL, but drat they are ugly and go with nothing.

Dude Verity’s Brow having no skins is insane, it’s been a top tier warlock exotic for YEARS and it’s ugly as poo poo. Bungie must not like printing money.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

haveblue posted:

You couldn’t use sparrows on Mercury for years because they couldn’t figure out how they broke it and Bungie eventually fixed it for them. They did good work but let’s not pretend they were in the god tier of developers or would have kept it up without Bungie involved

True, and in no way do I think they're god tier, but markedly better than bungo

Kith posted:

they kept cloning entire asset groups instead of using the existing purpose-built dependencies and are in fact the reason that so much poo poo had to be sunset due to bloating the hell out of the game and making an absolute mess of its organization

they were not "immensely better" at anything and were actually significantly worse at everything but "releasing content on time"

I don't recall this but I believe it so yeah. I'd love to read about tbh, but I don't for one second believe that they are solely to blame for those errors. Either way, mistakes were made lol.

Bungie still rear end, they don't have to be they choose to be. Destiny is a lesson in happy accidents that I'll keep playing and that's my own fault on that last point.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I've been loving around with Polaris Lance for just about all of my campaign and post campaign run on my Hunter.
Still fun!

It's an incredibly powerful scorch generator. I used it to kill the final boss on legendary because you dont have to stop shooting.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I really need a better riptide so I'm glad I can focus for those now. Maybe I'll finally build the goddamn Vow one once I actually do the raid a bunch

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PathAsc posted:

I don't recall this but I believe it so yeah. I'd love to read about tbh, but I don't for one second believe that they are solely to blame for those errors. Either way, mistakes were made lol.

Bungie still rear end, they don't have to be they choose to be. Destiny is a lesson in happy accidents that I'll keep playing and that's my own fault on that last point.

if i knew the source off of the top of my head i would absolutely give it to you, i'll do some digging and post it or PM it to you if i come across it

but they were actually the sole source of those problems, it's very easy to just copy and paste all of the poo poo you need if you don't get the proper resource training. for an example, they did poo poo like cloning and importing the entirety of a planet to create a new crucible map when all they actually needed were a handful of assets from the planet dependency, which is kind of like buying another car because you wanted different hubcaps. sure you get what you wanted either way, but there are significantly less resource intensive methods to achieve your goals

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Asher and Sloane are guaranteed to be involved in this and next season
It would kind of rule to go back to Titan and find out the whole thing is fully covered in hive corruption now. Hived up Arcology would be cool to see.

E: also, according to BYF using Delicate Tomb translates the whispers you hear all over the place, but I'm not hearing it?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 7, 2023

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What are good weapons for an Asjen Wake/Sunbreaker throw “hammer and fireball” build? I’ve been using Monte Carlo, but if I’m hammering correctly I don’t need to worry about melee energy too much. I have a couple Legendary’s with Demolitionist on it, but I don’t love any of them.

I feel like AR/Shotgun is a good combo, with something heavy hitting for my Heavy, like two-tailed fox. I need Gallarhjorn still, I’m like halfway through that quest.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
just finished the campaign and that was somehow a sub seasonal-level storyline? I don't want to be a huge lore nerd but maybe it shouldn't have all just been a big shrug??

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Kith posted:

if i knew the source off of the top of my head i would absolutely give it to you, i'll do some digging and post it or PM it to you if i come across it

but they were actually the sole source of those problems, it's very easy to just copy and paste all of the poo poo you need if you don't get the proper resource training. for an example, they did poo poo like cloning and importing the entirety of a planet to create a new crucible map when all they actually needed were a handful of assets from the planet dependency, which is kind of like buying another car because you wanted different hubcaps. sure you get what you wanted either way, but there are significantly less resource intensive methods to achieve your goals

Oh no worries, I figured it's long buried I haven't had a chance to look yet tbh. And lol, ok that's so goddamned dumb just wow. That's an amazing amount of dumb, ffs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

muike posted:

just finished the campaign and that was somehow a sub seasonal-level storyline? I don't want to be a huge lore nerd but maybe it shouldn't have all just been a big shrug??
Yeah, that's the common sentiment.

Maybe WQ just set a high bar, but I was really hoping for some big important piece of information, similar to the WQ that at least gives us something to stew on.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Right it was a big buildup to this expansion and then the campaign essentially taught us strand and did nothing much else that really mattered? Someone upthread said the campaign should have started after the cutscene that ends it and that would definitely be better

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It didn't even really teach Strand in the same way Beyond Light taught Stasis. it was just kind of like, oh here's a new subclass, have fun with it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

muike posted:

It didn't even really teach Strand in the same way Beyond Light taught Stasis. it was just kind of like, oh here's a new subclass, have fun with it.

huh? like half the story is about figuring out strand and how it works and how to use it. in fact we know more about strand now than we did about stasis at the end of beyond light- it took Witch Queen collector lore, Lightfall collector lore, and Osiris' comments about the elements to actually explain stasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
maybe i haven't played any post-main campaign stuff yet, then!