Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rarity posted:

At least the rent on my flat will stop going up once its underwater :v:

Yeah but first it'll skyrocket as you go from landlocked to sea views to beachfront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

might have to buy the star tmw

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

When I was at school it was the main thing they talked about because the primary problem was the holes in the ozone layer from all the loving hairspray. I suspect that even though we've all moved on to talking about rising average temperatures, there's a whole generation for whom sea level rises are the only thing they learned at school.

We've moved on because we solved the ozone layer hole.
We changed how we used CFCs and the hole is repairing itself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Same as "remember acid rain, how come they don't talk about acid rain any more?"

Air pollution regulations, low sulfur fuels, moving from coal and oil to other power sources, and less positively calling it something else when it happens somewhere outside of the west.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Yeah but first it'll skyrocket as you go from landlocked to sea views to beachfront.

nnnnope. Beaches take thousands of years to form. there just won't be any beaches, anywhere

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
seems like reactionary, uninformed people that attack electric cars shouldn't be throwing stones in underwater glass houses full of gas?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

At least the rising sea levels will wash the turds on the beaches awa*checks notes* further inland. :eng99:

Not so as you'd notice a tidal wave of effluent surging up the Thames given the poo poo being spewed by westminster.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just came across this link posted in a comment on the Graun:
Maybe of use to some of you wrangling with the DWP.

quote:

The Free Representation Unit provides free legal representation for people in this type of situation. We represent people in tribunal hearings and have a very high success rate as DWP decision making is often poor. 68% of PIP decisions were changed by the tribunal in the latest statistics. Unfortunately people do have to wait months before the independent tribunal reviews their case. Our service can be accessed and supported at this link https://www.thefru.org.uk/donate.

https://www.thefru.org.uk/

Article the comment is under:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/06/england-2023-welfare-system-debt-state-support

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

seems like reactionary, uninformed people that attack electric cars shouldn't be throwing stones in underwater glass houses full of gas?

https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/status/1527658189784854528?s=20

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

NotJustANumber99 posted:

seems like reactionary, uninformed people that attack electric cars shouldn't be throwing stones

100% agree. The cars might explode.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

People aren't mad about electric cars (well, some are, every household having a personal automobile is unsustainable), people are mad about Tesla. Haha, Elon made a cute joke about couping any country that gets in the way of him acquiring enough lithium and then shortly afterwards there's a far right coup in Bolivia. How delightful.

He's a oval office and his cars are lovely deathtraps

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JakeBerry/status/1632858232518524935

I had to google to check, but this is a Tory MP calling for blood

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

forkboy84 posted:

his cars are lovely deathtraps

your wrong actually

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very useful for them to have a scapegoat.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Very useful for them to have a scapegoat.

It's loving hilarious. They are going to try and make him the fall guy, but they've all been just as complicit. They all know there are WhatsApp messages of their own that will sink their own careers and possibly put them in jail, that are now in the hands of Tice and the Telegraph.

The dirtier all this gets, the harder the punches and distraction targets, and it'll be glorious watching them all eat each other :)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh now they want martial law (in the UK) because of Ukraine

https://twitter.com/ricwe123/status/1632870765115629568?s=20

Oh so what would that mean for us?

Being shot for 'sedition' - that's contributors to this thread all on the Marlboros then for a start off.

Ration books, black markets, rampant identity theft... Must give Foyle's War another watch.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yes, please give us some rifles, they will be used against our enemies.

(By giving I mean when the infantry units bail on their supplies because lol what the gently caress)

((Wait we don't have any ammo or supplies))

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 7, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

We've always been at war with Eurasia

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

happyhippy posted:

We've moved on because we solved the ozone layer hole.
We changed how we used CFCs and the hole is repairing itself.
True, but there are a lot of people who have violently resisted learning or engaging with ideas after they left school at 16. Whole bunch of people who think 'global warming' just means 'icecaps melt and the sea moves a bit closer innit.'

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Can only conclude that Wes Streeting would love nothing more than to be booed at the paralympics. Being booed by everyone is beautiful thermodynamic equilibrium for someone whose brain is a demon encased in a blancmange of new labour cum. If you have ever cared about the well-being of a human being who is not yourself, or if you spend less than 100% of your time supporting the careers of people journalists like, the Labour party is not for you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah well you see the people booing at him are not serious and not ready for serious politics so they don't count.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Some people say the Guardian is trash, but headlines like this must be celebrated.

quote:

How a monument to my great-great-grandfather could help tackle the scourge of plastic pollution

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/07/great-great-grandfather-plastic-pollution-drinking-fountain-bottles

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I preferred this one: An old video of me is on the school curriculum! Unfortunately, I am shocked by my own arguments

An entire article of "God I'm poo poo at arguing for my points of view"

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 7, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"I'm still angry at the architects of robodebt" definitely sounds alt-history but apparently is just australian.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I preferred this one: An old video of me is on the school curriculum! Unfortunately, I am shocked by my own arguments

An entire article of "God I'm poo poo at arguing for my points of view"

What a day March 7th a landmark day!

^^^ 3 of them!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Apropos of nothing, does anyone know how working for a UK company works if you're living abroad? (My post is work from home except for 1 day a month)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume most of the relevant concerns would be with your own government, I would assume they pay you via some sort of arrangement in your own country rather than posting you wads full of cash, while employment issues would be largely on the head of the company if they're not allowed to hire people who aren't resident in the UK/have a right to work. The UK government can hardly go and arrest you outside the country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The UK government can hardly go and arrest you outside the country.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's goatse rendered into a QR code, isn't it? It's even got the ring!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Guy in my work hosed off back to mainland Europe for 3 months and worked remotely, but he was told to come back once they found out and ended up just quitting.

It was less of a ballache before that whole 2016 thing as I had friends who would be based in Dublin for work but be resident in Glasgow and commute in for days when they were required in the office.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Angrymog posted:

Apropos of nothing, does anyone know how working for a UK company works if you're living abroad? (My post is work from home except for 1 day a month)

Things may have changed as what I know from living abroad is a few years ago now:

(a) I have a friend who worked for a UK-based company but which operated globally. She was paid in sterling into a UK account. She has an Egyptian husband and spent most of her time based in Cairo because her work's opinion was 'we don't care where you live so long as you still do the travelling' (which was actually easier from Cairo than UK!)

(b) I did some work abroad and when I was paid by an Egypt-based company into my Egyptian account, I paid Eyptian taxes. But I didn't always work in a financial year and after a consultation with HMRC, their decision was that if I was paid in the UK into a UK bank account I should pay UK taxes (I did some remote self-employed work then over the internet- years before covid was twinkle in a virus' eye). Egypt & UK have (had?) a double-taxation agreement so if you paid tax on income in one of them you didn't have to pay further tax on that same income in the other. This is NOT the case with some other countries - I believe Canada is (was?) one such from things friends who have moved to Canada have told me - you would pay the tax in the country in which you were paid and then pay further tax in Canada on the SAME income. *looks like the position re Canada may have changed since 2019.

Found this link for you

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides...esident%20here.

List of countries with double-taxation treaties with UK:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/tax-treaties

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 7, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

your wrong actually

are you going to cite that study that compared Teslas to all cars without controlling for demographics? because yeah turns out if you compare Teslas to all drivers including new drivers being boy racers then yes the Teslas are comparable, which isn't the safety report you're claiming

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

fizzy posted:

That's goatse rendered into a QR code, isn't it? It's even got the ring!

No, that's just Sunak's twitter profile picture.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Ah well you see the people booing at him are not serious and not ready for serious politics so they don't count.
When polls are up: Will of the people, obvious mandate etc.

When polls are down: this is all jiminbly corgle's fault

When polls specifically say they preferred Corbyn: populism gone mad, mob rule, obviously wildly antisemitic and we will not be doing that

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Are we not talking about the new refugee plans?

One one hand it's definitely red meat for a fash base, but on the other it will effectively ban most asylum seekers, so it seems like worth chatting about regardless.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 7, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Are we not talking about the new refugee plans?

One one hand it's definitely red meat for a fash base, but on the other it will effectively ban most asylum seekers, so it seems like worth chatting about regardless.

The one that's trying the same dumb "brake" system that's a total cop-out for NI? It's vile and fascist, but I'm somewhat hoping the courts will say "you can't just declare a loophole in international law you loving clowns"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1633002273008758785

GAME OVER
RETURN OF GAPES

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tesseraction posted:

are you going to cite that study that compared Teslas to all cars without controlling for demographics? because yeah turns out if you compare Teslas to all drivers including new drivers being boy racers then yes the Teslas are comparable, which isn't the safety report you're claiming

Teslas are the new white Audis.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Rarity posted:

At least the rent on my flat will stop going up once its underwater :v:

Great access to the sea +250 pcm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"look, if you opened your windows every once in a while maybe you wouldn't have a problem with splicers tearing through your living room looking for adam. Now would you kindly pay your rent?"