Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

hell yeah. Yeah, the mental load reduction getting rid of the front derailleur can't be understated. I'm not a coordinated fellow and it's so nice to only have to shift with one hand.

Ordered all the parts to build my bike. I have everything but the wheels and the frame which are seeing longer lead times. Not a huge rush really since the trails are still not ready but I want to build this thing. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
New bike day!

I've gone through a dozen bikes in the last 15ish years but haven't had a brand new one since I saved up $300 and bought a "mountain bike" in middle school.

Now if it would just stop raining for a few days...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

New bike day!

I've gone through a dozen bikes in the last 15ish years but haven't had a brand new one since I saved up $300 and bought a "mountain bike" in middle school.

Now if it would just stop raining for a few days...

My YT was also my first actually new mountain bike! Looks great!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Now that I actually have a bike I have questions.

First, is there a way to flatten disc brake rotors? The front has enough wobble it scrapes one pad every rotation and almost scrapes the other. I swear this happens with every disc brake I have and I've never had a good fix for it.

Second, what's the consensus on clipless pedals? I've ridden extensively on the street with clipless and even some moderate trail riding. When I rented a trail bike a few weeks ago I just went with the stock flat pedals but it was unnerving every time I hit even small jumps. I was always worried my feet would come off the pedals mid air. Is that a technique thing or should I throw some SPDs on this bike?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

First, is there a way to flatten disc brake rotors? The front has enough wobble it scrapes one pad every rotation and almost scrapes the other. I swear this happens with every disc brake I have and I've never had a good fix for it.

https://youtu.be/O0c2Ez2v0PU

https://www.rei.com/product/738864/...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

On my phone so didn't click those links but a brand new disc is almost certainly flat/true and you just need to loosen the caliper bolts, grab the brake hard, retighten the bolts. This centers the caliper on the rotor.

Can't remember if that bike is QR but you also have to make sure the wheel is fully seated in the fork lowers if so.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 4, 2023

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Second, what's the consensus on clipless pedals? I've ridden extensively on the street with clipless and even some moderate trail riding. When I rented a trail bike a few weeks ago I just went with the stock flat pedals but it was unnerving every time I hit even small jumps. I was always worried my feet would come off the pedals mid air. Is that a technique thing or should I throw some SPDs on this bike?

Brake rotors should absolutely not be bent on a brand new bike. As above it might just be a misaligned caliper.

Flats Vs clipless is entirely personal preference. If you wear modern flat pedal shoes (e.g. five tens) with pedals with pins then you should never have an issue with your feet coming off the pedals, it will 100% be a technique thing.

I used to bash my shins up pretty good a couple of years ago with flat pedals but once I sorted out my technique it hasn't happened again, and I do jumps and ride through chunky, bouncy sections with no issue.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

...a brand new disc is almost certainly flat/true...

Aphex- posted:

Brake rotors should absolutely not be bent on a brand new bike.

You might be surprised about how many bikes need rotors trued straight out of the box. Varies by brand though in my (limited) experience.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Agreed on trying to center the caliper. If grabbing the brake doesn't work while the bolts are loosened, I've had more success putting a light to shine between the disc and pad (so you can see that there's a gap) and moving the caliper manually and tightening the bolts. Otherwise you can try straightening the rotor with a couple crescent wrenches but I've not been very successful with method.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah very common for rotors to be a little bent out of the box from something along the line between assembly and packaging and shipping. Even when they're not even on the hub and are in a box somehow. And they're annoying to try to straighten out. But also a shop assembling and selling bikes will have the rotors straight and not rubbing before it goes out on the floor.

I've found aligning calipers generally goes best from just looking at it and centering the pads on the rotor by eye. Little tools and grabbing the brake with the caliper loose usually doesn't work as good.

Also even with through axles it's good practice to put the bike on the ground and have weight on it and then tighten the wheels.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I prefer flats but I have ridden lots of clipless. Hike a bike is much nicer on flats. It’s also easier to bail on really challenging sections. Flat pedal specific shoes are a must for flat pedals. I like the 5.10 freerider pro.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sierra trading post has some fivetens on sale for like $60 right now

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'll try the recommended centering steps for the brake rotor before I start bending anything. It's only rubbing in one spot so its probably not the wheel itself, but a poorly clamped rotor makes sense.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Got the rotor fixed. In the end it was warped and only took a light bending to straighten it enough.

I reseated the wheel, removed the rotor and carefully torqued back down the bolts to no avail. The caliper was already nicely centered. ~300deg of the disc was dead on straight, and just a ~60deg section of the disc was clearly bent on a closer look. I confirmed the bend when I had the rotor loose by watching it wobble when I put it on my flat reference surface.

It's good to know that fix is so simple, I figured there was some fancy tool to bend the rotor but a simple adjustable wrench provided a nice flat, smooth, and tightly fitted way to do light duty bending.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

sierra trading post has some fivetens on sale for like $60 right now

Man those are super cheap but even uglier color wise than the last pair I also bought on clearance lol. Freerider pros for 60 bucks is a steal though. The soles get torn up pretty quick on the last couple pairs I've had though.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I ride clipless. Yeah sometimes you eat it, but I like the connectedness, climbing, and efficiency for lots of pedaling. These days it is 99% preference.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you're old enough to be reading this and you don't already ride clipless just go flats and save yourself the injuries.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
flats are overrated by weirdos who insist they're the one true way to ride a mtb :shrug:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Yup. Quit gatekeeping. We're all riders here.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Levitate posted:

flats are overrated by weirdos who insist they're the one true way to ride a mtb :shrug:

Nocheez posted:

Yup. Quit gatekeeping. We're all riders here.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

n8r posted:

I prefer flats but I have ridden lots of clipless. Hike a bike is much nicer on flats. It’s also easier to bail on really challenging sections. Flat pedal specific shoes are a must for flat pedals. I like the 5.10 freerider pro.

Flats are super nice for hike a bike. I prefer being clipped in for challenging/technical sections though. Used to being able to pull up on the pedals. Would have to retrain my brain.

That said, I bought some Freerider Pros back during their Black Friday sale and still haven't tried them.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
As someone who rode flats in BMX/Park and clipless on road, I think I could go either way but I like flats for the ability to bail easily on anything I might be getting air.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
they’re both fine!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Bud Manstrong posted:

they’re both fine!

hey screw you buddy my choice of pedal type is better than just “fine”

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I ride both and they both have ups and downs but imo start on flats if you are choosing, they're easier to bail from or dab a foot and the easiness of dabbing is nice when you're learning. You also learn how to pressure the bike to keep your feet on which clips can be any easy shortcut around learning.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I’d say clips has the ups and flats has the downs

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah to be clear they’re both fine and people will often prefer over the other. Go with whatever you’re comfortable with but try the other out for a bit at some point too

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I rode my British friend's bike with moto style brakes and now I'm all twisted around. I now think it might actually be the right way to do it and I just know I will completely forget how my own bike is setup in the middle of a techy section.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 8, 2023

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

stratdax posted:

I wrote my British friend's bike with moto style brakes and now I'm all twisted around. I now think it might actually be the right way to do it and I just know I will completely forget how my own bike is setup in the middle of a techy section.

Years ago I switched all my bikes to moto style, even the street bikes, but my shiny new trail bike has the standard setup. It's definitely going to be confusing for a bit. Worst case I have to replace the brakes to match the rest.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
easy solution: don't use 'em

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

stratdax posted:

I rode my British friend's bike with moto style brakes and now I'm all twisted around. I now think it might actually be the right way to do it and I just know I will completely forget how my own bike is setup in the middle of a techy section.

I ride moto style. I’m right handed and like having the more coordinated hand controlling the more important brake.

It’s not too hard to switch between the two but I think you’d lose some confidence on the brakes.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Anyone know anything about the riding in the New Haven CT area? Might end up out there and curious if theres any riding in the general area.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Anyone know anything about the riding in the New Haven CT area? Might end up out there and curious if theres any riding in the general area.

You have some nice looking options

https://www.trailforks.com/region/new-haven/

https://www.mtbproject.com

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah looks like tons of trail systems, hard to tell from TF and MBP if its any good but at the very least looks like lots of XC options to get out and exercise at the least.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Does this thing look like a decent deal? Helping a friend pick out his first MTB. They are liquidating their inventory.
https://mybikeshop.com/products/orange-clockwork-evo-29-comp-wasabi-green-large.html

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nohearum posted:

Does this thing look like a decent deal? Helping a friend pick out his first MTB. They are liquidating their inventory.
https://mybikeshop.com/products/orange-clockwork-evo-29-comp-wasabi-green-large.html

Looks great to me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nohearum posted:

Just needs a dropper and that's a solid bike.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
When did Rockshox/Fox stop making 26" forks? (I realise the answer is they still do, but the new ones look like they're aimed at eBikes and supermarket BSOs). I'd like to upgrade the 2011 Tora TK coil spring on my old bike to something with a little more travel and ideally a remote lockout but I'm having trouble figuring out models and years and compatibility, and especially finding reviews for older forks is hard when you can't tell what exact model you're looking at second hand. I need a straight steerer, and ideally it'd be post mount which seems to be a very narrow time window. Fortunately my front hub will do QR, 15mm and 20mm so I don't have to worry about that.

edit: I realise the correct answer is stop spending money on a 12 year old hardtail but I'm enjoying tinkering.

Yeep fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What's the etiquette on riding after or in the rain? If a trail is marked all-season or "wet weather friendly" on Trailforks is it fair game? Obviously if its a mud pit I'll turn around and go home.

I've got this shiny new bike and all I've done is taken it for a lap around the neighborhood, I'm itching to get it on a real trail. Unfortunately where I live the rain forecast for any given day this time of year is: Yes.