Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Officially at 2 months of ownership. I very much enjoy this car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Congrats on your large-nosed burnout machine. I hope it keeps you up at night with excitement and not from loudly snoring in your driveway.

What made you decide on the MT?

Edit: Man, it looks weird with the new ipad dash. I guess everyone will know I have the "old" one now.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Someday I will get an M3 Coupe I suppose, but for now this blue chonky boy has arrived and will probably eat his roomate at some point. I wanted no part of the X5 2024 refresh with the mega screen and buried HVAC controls so I ordered this one back in December.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 2, 2023

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Keyser_Soze posted:

Someday I will get an M3 Coupe I suppose, but for now this blue chonky boy has arrived and will probably eat his roomate at some point. I wanted no part of the X5 2024 refresh with the mega screen and buried HVAC controls so I ordered this one back in December.

I might have an order in for one tomorrow, depending on if the dealer is going to blow up the whole deal that we've negotiating over for weeks over their $639 "mandatory" interior protection package. :toot:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Is it too late to order a 23? Bimmerpost forums have people already ordering the new one with delivery in May.

I was lazy and used a broker this time and got 7.5% off MSRP and it came from a SoCal dealer I actually wouldn't have thought of (Valencia) but apparently they are high volume and popular now with easy shipping North up Interstate 5. I didn't speak to a person on the phone for any part of this transaction, really weird. The only surprise "extra" fee was $250 for a notary to come by with the paperwork so even with that and the $600 broker fee/$500 shipping I came out way ahead than any of my local market slimeball dealers (Sactown).

BMW loyalty was another $1,750 off the price and the BMWCCA rebate of $1,000 will show up in 90 days or something. The price of these vehicles is nauseating, so any bit helps.

There is some cost cutting going on too compared to prior 2019 versions I checked out, no passenger lumbar, no switches for rear seat fold down from the cargo area, cheaper and thinner floormats/carpets and even the sun visors feel really cheap compared to my 535. I also wish there was an option to skip the gigantic sunroof entirely as I will never use it. The rest is very well put together, though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Supposedly this one that I may or may not be getting is one of the last, I started the process a few weeks ago so i guess they were able to squeeze it in, I'm sure it's closed now. Last minute they called me and told me that jet black, what I asked for, was no longer available at this late date and I would have to stump up the extra 650 for sapphire black metallic, and I swore that was the last upsell I was going to tolerate.

Mines a 45e, I offered them 9% off msrp to start and settled for 8% off which was fair in my view for the hybrid, but it's less than that now with the fancy paint and poo poo. I'm not a new grad and don't own a bmw so nothing else on top for me.

I might still just walk away if they insist on the bullshit fee though. After almost 3 weeks of back and forth I'm getting bored of the car already and it doesn't even exist yet.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm finally getting rid of the 325xi, it was a good run but I'm tired of dealing with cooling problems. Replacing it with a the gfs Dad's Buick he no longer drives. This will be the first non-BMW I've owned in like 14 years.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What king of Buick? I debated getting a Regal TourX for a while.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Man the dealer is driving a hard bargain and not budging on the $639. Can I counter with like give me 3 free oil change coupons or something? Bmws already come with free oil changes for the First three years right? Do dealers have anything else that might be remotely worth a few hundred bucks just so I can get this over with?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Tell them to get hosed, buy an off lease one in a year and save 10k

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

KillHour posted:

Congrats on your large-nosed burnout machine. I hope it keeps you up at night with excitement and not from loudly snoring in your driveway.

What made you decide on the MT?

Edit: Man, it looks weird with the new ipad dash. I guess everyone will know I have the "old" one now.

The iPad dash looks even weirder when you're looking into the front windscreen and all you see are the really terrible injection molded plastic arms glued into the dash. Cost cutting on an 80k sports sedan makes a lot of sense.

I went with the manual since it was at MSRP and the closest automatic I could find had roughly 8-10k more in options plus at least a 4k ADM. There's definitely a few things I'd change about it, but coming from an ND1 Miata -- this thing feels and drives like a space ship.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

nerdrum posted:

The iPad dash looks even weirder when you're looking into the front windscreen and all you see are the really terrible injection molded plastic arms glued into the dash. Cost cutting on an 80k sports sedan makes a lot of sense.

It’s not an $80k sports sedan. It’s a $45k sports sedan juiced up to the max.

It’s not like the new infotainment screens are exclusive to the m3.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
And so we have circled right back round to the thread title.

I want to clean the window seals on my F33 before I Gummi Pfledge them to hopefully stop them creaking/squeaking. Are there any recommended cleaning products for the rubber? And specifically any I should NOT use?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kill me now posted:

It’s not an $80k sports sedan. It’s a $45k sports sedan juiced up to the max.

It’s not like the new infotainment screens are exclusive to the m3.

I don't have the iPad glued to my dashboard, but (at least with the full leather package) the M3/M4 is definitely several notches above your standard 3 series in terms of fit and finish. I test drove a 530i for shits while waiting at the dealer and it was very much worse inside. And that's a whole platform up.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Nothing has gone wrong on my 6-owner 90k mile 128i that wasn't already wrong with it when I bought it. The water pump is going to fail tomorrow, isn't it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Today is 1 year with the halo swords. Been a lot of fun to drive, I rented a place last summer that was next to a nice mountain road and drove that a lot. Although wfh and living in a smaller town I ended up only driving about 6500 miles. Got about 24mpg overall which isn't too bad.

I was planning on buying something new for fall, not sure what that is yet.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Took me a minute to get the halo swords reference on an SUV.

I had another round of despair that we’re not getting the M3 touring yesterday when Chris Harris posted about his.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't even like Halo and I always thought they looked like the energy sword thing from that series :v:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Intermittent ABS/traction control warnings accompanied by dead speedo are almost certainly a dying wheel speed sensor, right? e39 m5 if that's relevant

Also, shaking through the steering wheel at ~45mph, is that upper control arms or "thrust arms" or whatever bmw calls them?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

What king of Buick? I debated getting a Regal TourX for a while.

You know what, I don't even know. Some kind of cross-over SUV thingy. I'm not thrilled about it but it's a free car so I'm not complaining.

The M3 threw an SES light today :( "P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)". Anyone familiar with this for an e46? It seems like it could either be a faulty O2 sensor or the cats actually need to be replaced.

Popete fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 5, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Took me a minute to get the halo swords reference on an SUV.

I had another round of despair that we’re not getting the M3 touring yesterday when Chris Harris posted about his.

Gotta build the E91 M3 obviously! But yeah it does loving suck. I hate american buyers (though they did somehow save the manuals at porsche)

Sab669 posted:

I don't even like Halo and I always thought they looked like the energy sword thing from that series :v:

You take that back!!! (Or as long as you say Destiny is good we’re good)

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

A couple weeks ago I remembered about the Panamera wagon and saw the 2017+ turbos have depreciated into the 80-90 range. That has occupied a lot of space in my mind as of late now that my life is kids sports and we have a 75lb dog.

I still think I need to jump on the opportunity to have a 911 as a daily though. Once both of my kids are in booster seats I feel like I have a 2-3 year window where they can fit in the back of a 991.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

If you can make the choice between a Panamera and a 911, the 911 seems like the obvious choice

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

A couple weeks ago I remembered about the Panamera wagon and saw the 2017+ turbos have depreciated into the 80-90 range. That has occupied a lot of space in my mind as of late now that my life is kids sports and we have a 75lb dog.

I still think I need to jump on the opportunity to have a 911 as a daily though. Once both of my kids are in booster seats I feel like I have a 2-3 year window where they can fit in the back of a 991.

Let me know how this works out. We have a 1 year old and a dog. I guess my car and my wife’s car don’t both have to carry everyone right?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Let me know how this works out. We have a 1 year old and a dog. I guess my car and my wife’s car don’t both have to carry everyone right?

That’s how I have operated the last 7 years but it’s starting to feel… selfish. Our dog sheds like crazy so I haven’t had him in the Alfa yet. And a sedan is fine in most cases but I haven’t been able to take the family plus dog in my last two cars.

The fact that I now have an automatic as a daily has opened up a world of convenience. We take my wife’s CX-9 most places and we get by fine but reality seems to be pulling me in another direction.

This is how it happens, isn’t it? :v:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Anyone need upstream o2 sensors for an e46 (I believe it fits a bunch of other models), I've got 2 of them I don't need anymore since I got rid of the 325xi. Bosch model 13477, they're yours for the cost of shipping.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

the milk machine posted:

Intermittent ABS/traction control warnings accompanied by dead speedo are almost certainly a dying wheel speed sensor, right? e39 m5 if that's relevant

Also, shaking through the steering wheel at ~45mph, is that upper control arms or "thrust arms" or whatever bmw calls them?

Is it only at 45 mph? If so it’s unlikely to be thrust arm bearings. The test is to lightly brake - you should feel some shimmy in the wheel - and then brake harder - it should go away. You should also feel general looseness, wandering, tram lining etc in the front end.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Gotta build the E91 M3 obviously!

Do you know what all goes into swapping the front bumper over? I'm wrapping my car soon (:haw:) and thought maybe I'd swamp bumpers while at it. Not only is it a cooler style, my car has the front plate holder which I'd like to get rid of, but boy I have gone down into quite the rabbit hole this morning.

Seems like there's just a lot of options between LCI / non, with & without PDC ("Parking Distance Control"), with and without headlight washers :shrug: Obviously mine is LCI, but using a VIN Decoder suggests I only have rear PDC despite the circular cutout on my front bumper. I do have headlight washers [and I've just now noticed/learned they're showing their age and are protruding from the body :argh:).

But even looking at the shape of the bumper around the headlights, it looks quite a bit different -

Do those need to be swapped too?

Just funny how quickly something spirals from, wrap --> maybe a bumper swap beforehand? --> this minute thing isn't perfect should I also spend the money on that while I'm at it :thunk:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Sab669 posted:

But even looking at the shape of the bumper around the headlights, it looks quite a bit different -

Coupe/vert and sedan/wagon headlights are a different shape.

IIRC, the LCI front swap is more than just a bumper, at least the hood needs swapped as well. I'm pretty sure that the normie bumper you have a pic of is an LCI.

WAIT, time out, yours is LCI? Which year? Only asking because I hit the little question mark jobbie, and :

Sab669 posted:

Wonder what my 130K silver pre-LCI would fetch on Cars And Bids...

E: i see now via post history that you swapped that pre-LCI one in for a new[er] one.

I'm not sure I've ever noticed PDC on a e9x car, but on my e61 PDC is four small round circles across the front, at about the height of the crashbar. If you have it you'd probably know. The single circular cutout is to access the bumper proper for your tow eye to thread in.

Taking the bumper itself off is pretty minor, the trickest screws are the ones at the fender seam- peeling the liner back is a little tricky, but not horrible.

glyph fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 6, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I have rear PDC on my LCI E91, and I hate it and if I ever fix this car I am going to get an msport rear bumper and not punch the PDC holes.

As for front swap, there are two kinds, the stuff from like ECS that is made to work with stock E9x non m fenders and actual M bumpers. The stuff that is supposed to be M look but not flared out to meet M fenders should be mostly bolt on as much as cheap body panels ever are (not you _will_ need to do some massaging).

Alternatively if you want to be a real badass, something like: https://ltmotorwerks.com/collections/exterior/products/1m-bumper?variant=734694155 which is what I was wanting to do on mine, but that is like now a different tier of spending.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

glyph posted:

E: i see now via post history that you swapped that pre-LCI one in for a new[er] one.

I'm not sure I've ever noticed PDC on a e9x car, but on my e61 PDC is four small round circles across the front, at about the height of the crashbar. If you have it you'd probably know. The single circular cutout is to access the bumper proper for your tow eye to thread in.

Yea, on a '12 LCI now. Okay, I did see the small 4 cutouts on some other listing somewhere, definitely don't have that [matches what the VIN Decoder said]. Annoying that there don't seem to be any non-PDC but with the headlight wipers. At least disabling / removing those doesn't sound too easy from what I can tell.

TheBacon posted:

As for front swap, there are two kinds, the stuff from like ECS that is made to work with stock E9x non m fenders and actual M bumpers. The stuff that is supposed to be M look but not flared out to meet M fenders should be mostly bolt on as much as cheap body panels ever are (not you _will_ need to do some massaging).

Alternatively if you want to be a real badass, something like: https://ltmotorwerks.com/collections/exterior/products/1m-bumper?variant=734694155 which is what I was wanting to do on mine, but that is like now a different tier of spending.

Got'chya; I did see some optional M3 style fenders which I guess is what I'd want if I was also getting an 'authentic' M3 bumper. That seems a bit more money than I'd be interested in spending; the wrap job itself will be about what my bonus was but was like "hmm if I can swap the bumper for only a couple hundred extra that's worth it"

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is it only at 45 mph? If so it’s unlikely to be thrust arm bearings. The test is to lightly brake - you should feel some shimmy in the wheel - and then brake harder - it should go away. You should also feel general looseness, wandering, tram lining etc in the front end.

hmm yeah, the front end feels pretty normal, it's just got a signficant shake at 45-50. the tires are about a year old, maybe a balancing weight fell off or something

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I remember briefly looking at swapping out the front of my old 2011 335 to a replica M-sport bumper like that and I believe it was also going to involve (just like the E46 before it) replacing all the brackets/vents/alternator duct/etc behind the bumper as well and even then the fitment wouldn't be perfect since the replicas were, well, replicas.

I just replaced the silver fins on the stock bumper to the black versions (Black Finishing Rods L/R) and forgot about it.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 6, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sab669 posted:

Yea, on a '12 LCI now. Okay, I did see the small 4 cutouts on some other listing somewhere, definitely don't have that [matches what the VIN Decoder said]. Annoying that there don't seem to be any non-PDC but with the headlight wipers. At least disabling / removing those doesn't sound too easy from what I can tell.

Got'chya; I did see some optional M3 style fenders which I guess is what I'd want if I was also getting an 'authentic' M3 bumper. That seems a bit more money than I'd be interested in spending; the wrap job itself will be about what my bonus was but was like "hmm if I can swap the bumper for only a couple hundred extra that's worth it"

FWIW I would not do the M3 flared fenders (that have the M logo) without like going full M, also I think you need to flare the rear first otherwise it looks weird.

Honestly I’d recommend just looking at the “m sport” bumper which is 100% bolt up for us and can be ordered OEM

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I wasn't really interested in grabbing them, I just happened to notice while scrolling through all the results when searching "M3 style" on ESC trying to find the right bumper for my wagon

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

the milk machine posted:

hmm yeah, the front end feels pretty normal, it's just got a signficant shake at 45-50. the tires are about a year old, maybe a balancing weight fell off or something

Yeah it’s almost certainly not thrust arm bushings. It could definitely be something more annoying and expensive though!!!

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Duh, right, my e91 has headlight washers. I haven't had the bumper cover off in a while, but you definitely need to get the painted caps off before you take the bumper off. I'd forgotten the process, as I'd had my e61s bumper off more recently.

I use an old gift card to lift them up hold them with an off hand or some locking pliers/crescent wrench sideways GENTLY and then spend a few minutes remembering how to clip them off. After that, it's normal bumper poo poo.

The painted washer cap lid thing covers so much extra bumper outside the hole, I'd think it wouldn't be hard to cut the holes yourself. Hell, there might even be the box shape molded into the inside of the bumper as a guide. For pdc for the front of my e61, there were cross hairs at the proper spots. I used to locate the punch for the 19mm holes.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sab669 posted:

Yea I wasn't really interested in grabbing them, I just happened to notice while scrolling through all the results when searching "M3 style" on ESC trying to find the right bumper for my wagon

Yeah those m3 ‘style’ ones will be narrow and sort of bolt in okay. But the m sport replacement one should work perfect and if you were going to buy a whole rear end new bumper anyway, I’d get that

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hmm, I don't think the M Sport style looks good enough to warrant the extra $600. And I suppose in theory I should get that painted before the wrap goes on but I was leaning towards "throw it on over the primer". Thanks for the input all!

and oh poo poo the wrap just got delivered!

Cell phone quality flash does not make for a good representation at all, but this is what it looks like on some person's car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Given that when I see 335s that are trying to look as M as possible, most of them don't do the front bumper switch makes me think that there's likely not a 1:1 matchup for headlights, etc. But faux-M3 replica bumpers might work around that. Additionally I'm about 90% sure that the E9x M3 front fenders will not fit onto non-M cars without some additional modifications.

I don't have PDC in the front but I would assume if your car had it, you'd hear beeping when you were about to crash into things? Not sure how it works for the front, but I do enjoy having it for the rear and don't think the circles make any difference in how it looks really.