Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Best way to octopath is to choose four characters and complete their stories, and then replace them with the remaining four and finish those. then make a final team of your favorites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hatty posted:

Best way to octopath is to choose four characters and complete their stories, and then replace them with the remaining four and finish those. then make a final team of your favorites

or just play the way you want to play, works just as well

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Morpheus posted:

I assume Octopath 2 does the thing where the first person you select is the one that you're forced to keep in your party for the rest of the game? If so, who's the best choice?

hatty posted:

Play the game however you want, but one of the reasons people do the 4/4 thing is that they really dislike having characters at uneven levels.

When I played the OG Octopath it wasn't a big deal, I just made sure to rotate in one low-level character at a time and make sure to buff them/tank/preemptively heal until they got reasonably caught up level-wise. And sure, my "locked" character was a few levels ahead of everyone else, but that just made them equivalent in performance in a secondary job and really OP in their primary. I went with the cleric because I like always having a healer in the party and so basically I didn't have to really worry about healing the entire game.

The downside to Ophilia is that her path action, Guide, was pretty RNG dependent. Like I could always find a pretty decent townsperson to bring into a boss battle but I had no control over what they would actually do, so sometimes it would break my move planning. Bringing someone in to spam-heal was actually better in that way.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

hatty posted:

I'm going to get all eight, then just do the lowest level quest available starting at ch 2 while slotting in my 3 weakest party members. I like the idea behind your plan but I feel like it would lead to some uneven / weird gear issues if the game is designed for you to work thru all 8 at once. I suspect the game is designed for you to just go about it however you want though

Either way it probably doesn't matter too much, I'm not finding the early game to be very hard and I assume the difficulty curve stays reasonable as long as you're within the recommended levels

For my main I went with the hunter because I like monster catching and it basically gives her a free way to hit weaknesses.

By the way is there any way to change party members outside of the tavern? They should just let you do it from the main menu in my opinion

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

By the way is there any way to change party members outside of the tavern? They should just let you do it from the main menu in my opinion

No

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Ah lame, they don't even show you benched characters in your status or equipment or shop screens. So I guess that's one thing I don't like about this game so far

I want to be able to hot swap seamlessly damnit! I like all of the characters I think

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There is an equipment menu in the tavern where you can mess with all eight characters' gear, but it's still a bit of a pain.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Thank the Chozo for that save room before the Omega Pirate. Took 5 or 6 tries, finally beat it, hardest boss so far. I found once I got cornered by his swipes it was hard to get away, but I got into the habit of curling up into a ball and rolling away and that seemed to work.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Oh dope, Seraph's Last Stand came out on Switch. It's a fun 2D platformer about surviving waves of weird... angel things? I dunno, it's pretty basic at first glance, but there's cool synergies for making aliens explode in trippy colors :okpos:

It's only $4, and that's pretty good for an arcadey time killer.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Hey idiot Nintendo, bring back Super Mario Bros 35! Idiots!

neato burrito fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 7, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's really not that big a deal who you pick as a starting character in Octopath II, they're all solid and once you start unlocking the class system you can make your starter do whatever you'd like.

but if you want someone to just tell you who the coolest character is, it's Ochette. She's also quite versatile thanks to the devs grossly overcorrecting on the OT1 hunter being kind of poo poo.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

neato burrito posted:

Hey idiot Nintendo, bring back Super Mario Bros 35! Idiots!

They can't. Please understand.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
be nice to nintendo

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Which living actor would be a worse Mario than Chris Pratt?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I dunno, Justin Long?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

joseph gordon levitt

leto

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

joseph gordon levitt

Fair, he would be a total miscast for the role. Honestly he just isn't that good of an actor, his best stuff was 3rd Rock from the Sun.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
He was pretty good in last weeks Poker Face

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

no broccoli please posted:

Thank the Chozo for that save room before the Omega Pirate. Took 5 or 6 tries, finally beat it, hardest boss so far. I found once I got cornered by his swipes it was hard to get away, but I got into the habit of curling up into a ball and rolling away and that seemed to work.

Tip for that fight; You can make the fight much less of a headache by just Power Bombing his phazon plates off instantly.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

trick question there is no worse choice than chris pratt

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kevin Sorbo
Dean Cain
Steven Seagal
OJ Simpson
The Baldwin family
Meghan Markle

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I browsed the sales page on the eshop and Hentai World is 86% off. wtf

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

Kevin Sorbo
Dean Cain
Steven Seagal
OJ Simpson
The Baldwin family
Meghan Markle

all of these would be funny

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
okay king koopa im going to take you to the bank... the blood bank

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Kevin Sorbo
Dean Cain
Steven Seagal
OJ Simpson
The Baldwin family
Meghan Markle
Benedict Cumberbatch

Best stand in or understudy in an alternate universe would be Brian Blessed

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Ezra Miller

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

VostokProgram posted:

I browsed the sales page on the eshop and Hentai World is 86% off. wtf

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/hentai-world

drat it's the lowest price ever too, what a steal. somewhat undercut by the fact it was released only 10 days ago, but w/e

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
who says switch games are expensive

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
miyamoto loves hentai

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mister Facetious posted:

Kevin Sorbo
Dean Cain
Steven Seagal
OJ Simpson
The Baldwin family
Meghan Markle

F U for causing the intrusive thought of "Johnny Depp Mario"

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Alec Baldwin no…that was a live Bullet Bill

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did anyone say Armie Hammer yet?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mel Gibson or Gerard Depardu

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Josh Gad

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Lena Dunham as Birdo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mr.Acula posted:

Jeff Dunham as everyone

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Larry Bird or Bird Larry

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Justin roiland

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Justin roiland

Oh geez Luigi, uh, wahoo, , my name's uh, Mario! Yeah, Mario!

Last Name? Oh wahoo, uh, geez... Mario!

Yeah, that's right, you heard me; Mario Mario!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Logan Roy - gently caress Off Luigi. gently caress Off Peach.