Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weka posted:

South Korea was totally a colony of the USA.

Is it no longer?

E: I guess a protectorate is a colony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

i say swears online posted:

I was interpreting colonial war as in a colonial power asserting or reasserting control over a colony

Okay then the Vietnam War

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Weka posted:

South Korea was totally a colony of the USA.

Finno-Korean Hyperwar denialist spotted

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Holy poo poo Azatoth got demodded.

You're free.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're free.

as a bird baby

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Does the Jakarta Method count as a colonial war?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

HootTheOwl posted:

Is it no longer?

E: I guess a protectorate is a colony

Maybe it's a neocolony now. The poster seemed to be excluding those.

Azathoth posted:

Finno-Korean Hyperwar denialist spotted

Obviously South Korea's colonial status is a fairly recent affair.

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're free.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Having a colony sort of implies you're settling at least a portion of your own people there, usually to exploit the land/people/both.

South Korea is definitely a client state of the US, as was South Vietnam.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Endman posted:

Having a colony sort of implies you're settling at least a portion of your own people there, usually to exploit the land/people/both.

South Korea is definitely a client state of the US, as was South Vietnam.

I'd argue the main innovation of the US with regard to capitalism is how to economically colonize without needing to have the actual boots on the ground administration to extract a shitload of value and send it back to the imperial core.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

We have 15 military bases in South Korea. lol

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

We have 15 military bases in South Korea. lol

Sorry, by administration I meant actually controlling the levers of government rather than using locals amenable to the international system. Boots on the ground, in this context, was a poor choice of words given our continued military presence.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Sorry, by administration I meant actually controlling the levers of government rather than using locals amenable to the international system. Boots on the ground, in this context, was a poor choice of words given our continued military presence.

technically they do control the levers of government in the sense that united nations command could declare martial law any time they felt like it but yeah thats obviously not preferable to having local patsies run sham elections that only seem legitimate because the margins are close when the outcomes dont actually matter

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/RohozinskiJ/status/1632778770317705218

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

drat he must've been like shooting people full-time all day long

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

i say swears online posted:

I was interpreting colonial war as in a colonial power asserting or reasserting control over a colony

Yes, that's what I meant. Usually colonies gaining their independency from colonial rule is presented as "and then western powers realised that it was time to give up colonialism and that was the end of that", which is hardly the case, no?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Azathoth posted:

Loafers on the ground.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Azathoth posted:

I'd argue the main innovation of the US with regard to capitalism is how to economically colonize without needing to have the actual boots on the ground administration to extract a shitload of value and send it back to the imperial core.

You make a good point, but on that note did the US extract any wealth from Vietnam? I’d argue it was a significant drain on the core, attempting to hold it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Endman posted:

You make a good point, but on that note did the US extract any wealth from Vietnam? I’d argue it was a significant drain on the core, attempting to hold it.

The fall of Saigon meant that the US lost most of its access to the Golden Triangle, and it had such an impact on the drug trade that there was an entire re-orientation of the security apparatus to secure new drug supply from Central and South America (not that the US hadn't already been involved in that region prior to the 1970s)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

yea, but the money spent on south vietnam came from the public purse whereas the profits went to us arms manufacturers and other grifts

so it achieved its purpose of extracting wealth from the working class and hand it to capital in multiple countries at once, even

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Slavvy posted:

Yeah, at the Katyn massacre he shot 250 people a night for four straight weeks. Blokhin knew that some troops would become too shell-shocked to fight if they had to execute defenseless prisoners, so he personally shot about 7,000 Polish military officers, police officers, and industrialists. They had an assembly line for executions, with loud machinery so that the prisoners wouldn't realize they were about to be shot.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Slavvy posted:

1.5 per day for 27 years straight.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Chamale posted:

Yeah, at the Katyn massacre he shot 250 people a night for four straight weeks. Blokhin knew that some troops would become too shell-shocked to fight if they had to execute defenseless prisoners, so he personally shot about 7,000 Polish military officers, police officers, and industrialists. They had an assembly line for executions, with loud machinery so that the prisoners wouldn't realize they were about to be shot.

What's the source of this rather outlandish claim? If he shot people all night it's a person every 2 minutes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Weka posted:

What's the source of this rather outlandish claim? If he shot people all night it's a person every 2 minutes.

Ultimately the source is the Soviet archives released by Gorbachev - but I haven't read them, I've just read about Blokhin on Wikipedia. The prison at Kalinin definitely executed 7,000 people in a one-month span in 1941, and the archives say almost all of them were shot by Blokhin with a .25 ACP pistol.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Katyn officer involved shooting

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Yes, that's what I meant. Usually colonies gaining their independency from colonial rule is presented as "and then western powers realised that it was time to give up colonialism and that was the end of that", which is hardly the case, no?

anybody who presents it like that is obfuscating a lot of violence, yes. Just off the top of my head, France fought to keep Indochina for nine years, Algeria for eight years, the British fought to keep Malaysia for 12 years, the Dutch fought to keep Indonesia for 4 years, the British set up concentration camps for an entire ethnicity in Kenya, the Americans nearly ended the world trying to reassert their economic colonialism in Cuba, etc., etc., etc.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Chamale posted:

Ultimately the source is the Soviet archives released by Gorbachev - but I haven't read them, I've just read about Blokhin on Wikipedia. The prison at Kalinin definitely executed 7,000 people in a one-month span in 1941, and the archives say almost all of them were shot by Blokhin with a .25 ACP pistol.

The documents released by Gorbachev indicate 4000 prisoners were executed. You might be thinking of the documents released by Yeltsin, which some people say are faked. idk.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Weka posted:

Must have been hell on his wrist.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Endman posted:

No, they never did turn the corner on Vietnam and make it profitable, though it wasn't for lack of trying. The MIC made off like bandits, which one could argue demonstrated yet another way to extract resources, just not from external colonization.

Some Guy TT posted:

technically they do control the levers of government in the sense that united nations command could declare martial law any time they felt like it but yeah thats obviously not preferable to having local patsies run sham elections that only seem legitimate because the margins are close when the outcomes dont actually matter

Yeah, that's the crux of my point. They have theoretical sovereignty and self determination, and if you ask the people there if they do, they would absolutely say yes. However, the moment they do anything that is against the interests of the ownership class, the machinery of capitalism begins to work against them. Whether that is the UN or the IMF or the EU or individual countries protecting the interests of their local ownership class, it doesn't really matter who.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Azathoth posted:

No, they never did turn the corner on Vietnam and make it profitable, though it wasn't for lack of trying. The MIC made off like bandits, which one could argue demonstrated yet another way to extract resources, just not from external colonization.

Yeah, that's the crux of my point. They have theoretical sovereignty and self determination, and if you ask the people there if they do, they would absolutely say yes. However, the moment they do anything that is against the interests of the ownership class, the machinery of capitalism begins to work against them. Whether that is the UN or the IMF or the EU or individual countries protecting the interests of their local ownership class, it doesn't really matter who.

The, "You're free to do whatever you want so long as it is what we want," form of colonization.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dameius posted:

The, "You're free to do whatever you want so long as it is what we want," form of colonization.

An ancient tradition, to be sure.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Can any Korea watchers tell my why Korea is under the Patriarch of Constantinople and not Moscow? Is this Tsarist beef?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

Can any Korea watchers tell my why Korea is under the Patriarch of Constantinople and not Moscow? Is this Tsarist beef?

The Korean Orthodox Church was initially under Moscow's umbrella but was cut loose in 1921 and then affiliated with Constantinople in 1955, so I think it's probably a Cold War thing.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Azathoth posted:

Really? They borrowed ~2/3 of a billion dollars from the IMF.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Weka posted:

Really? They borrowed ~2/3 of a billion dollars from the IMF.

If you're referring to their more recent borrowing from the 80s on, yeah sure it worked out in the long run, but in terms of the cost of propping up the South Vietnam regime and then the cost of the war, there's no way the US extracted back out that much before the fall of Saigon.

And yeah a lot of the "cost" itself is just money transfer from government to the MIC but even with that, we plowed a lot of cash into trying to keep the puppet regime going.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That money was well spend destroying Vietnam because then Vietnam had to borrow to repair itself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You might say they had to destroy Vietnam in order to save it

Weka
May 5, 2019

lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Azathoth posted:

An ancient tradition, to be sure.

Very much like Athens or the early Roman yeah

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah but my Nikes are from Vietnam so you tell me who won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Weka posted:

That money was well spend destroying Vietnam because then Vietnam had to borrow to repair itself.

Broken window theory of state building.