Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Hopefully he'll go the way of Howard Hughes, getting more and more paranoid and isolated until he dies alone. Hughes probably didn't deserve it afaik (though he chose it), but no tears would be shed by the sensible this rich failson serial abuser of employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Ignis posted:

motherfucker seriously believes designers have to code

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1633016157568651264
This will work in court lol, sucks to be you Halli

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Telsa Cola posted:

Has a large social media site ever been actually sued successfully for selective enforcement?

zedprime posted:

No one has been in a hurry to try because it's a process with no winners if you try enforcing anything but the most robotic take on it.

It's a level of legal involvement you want your chief counsel making sure you have the legal bandwidth in case it goes to court and ideally what your chances are in court and finance or operations able to account for the penalty if it goes south.

The very most you can do if you want volume of exceptions is take these chief level decisions and give them to a minimum wage or off shored moderator slamming buttons in the mod console trying to wrack up activity bonuses.

Nah, U.S. DMCA is very matter-of-fact about the whole "safe harbor" clause, and it involves being the kind-of invisible middleman in an argument. The issue of "selective enforcement" is when sites like Youtube don't allow a complaint response and just default to "not providing the content, and/or punishing the offender" whether or not there's actually an offense committed. Ironically, not hosting/taking down content is well within privacy rights in the U.S., despite what "freeze peach" advocates say about privately-owned, publicly traded companies. Other sites can do similar, but it's always with deference to siding with a complainant. Not siding with a complainant means "you're helping IP theft" and people who have a lot of lawyers and like to threaten lawsuits over IP theft aren't scared of going to court with the likes of Youtube, especially when they have a cut-and-dried slam dunk lawsuit on their hands.

Otherwise, it's a case of:
code:
A says B stole stuff, stuff taken down. 
B responds that stuff is fine, willing to put up or shut up. In court. 
At that point, A either drops the matter because "whoops, B is right/not worth the hassle" and the content is able to be restored, or A takes it to arbitration/court because they think they have a case. Middleman content sites like Youtube also usually give the responding party the opportunity to delete content voluntarily and make the matter legally moot.

EDIT: The reason DMCA sucks is because there's no limit to how often or how flimsy complaints can be made, or how vexatious(the legal term for "being an rear end in a top hat") the complaining party is. Computer algorithms flag possible :ducksiren:IP THEFT:ducksiren:, and instead of reviewing them, big companies just slam that "submit complaint" button, and suffer no punishment for doing so.

Mistle fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 7, 2023

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Elon loving sucks but holy loving poo poo his sycophants are soooooo much worse. Jesus Christ, humanity is doomed. Please let them all end up on Mars and get them the gently caress off this planet.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
The guy didn't even insult Elon or slight him at all, and Elon just openly, in front of God, the Meme Community, and everyone viciously poo poo talked this dude for daring to speak to him.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I really hope someone snaps and beats this poo poo rear end motherfucker into a fine paste.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

gschmidl posted:

I really hope someone snaps and beats this poo poo rear end motherfucker into a fine paste.

It is somewhat entertaining watching him die the death of a thousand cuts as literally every single decision he makes costs him huge amounts of money.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
What makes me waver between laughing out loud and cursing profusely is that stupid loving code review bullshit that he insisted upon. "Show me a sample of code that you wrote that is spectacular and that will wow me/show your worth to the organisation" is so unbelievably wrongheaded that it's hard to describe exactly how terrible it is, but I'm going to try. Apologies for a rambling infodump but I'm going to try to explain it in a way that non-full-time code monkeys can understand it

So I'm a programmer on a Maintenance team for the scheduled reports that my organisation creates. Our job is to keep the programs running when there are changes to databases or our physical infrastructure, and to fix any identified problems with the code.

One such task I was given was when a program kept on outputting different results with the same input. You could run it twice on the same data, even on the same day, and the results were grossly inconsistent. None of the values that were actually critical for the report for were inconsistent, but every other value was - this was taken as a sign that the report's accuracy was suspect.

I had to look at the program, which I had never seen before, figure out where the inconsistencies were coming from, and fix it. This involved basically unpicking thousands of lines of code that someone else wrote to work out what did what, and running it multiple times in stages to try to work out what was happening. Eventually I found the cause.

Basically, the data table that was feeding into the report contained transaction data for a large number of customers. This included an ID# for the customer on our system, 3 columns with the data values that we cared about and which were critical to the report, and a bunch of other columns that we didn't really care about the contents of. Now several customers had multiple entries in this data, but we didn't want them to appear several times in the output report. As the ID# for the customer and the values we cared about were the same across every entry for each individual customer, the guy who had written the program included a step that basically told the program to only retain rows that contained the first time a customer appeared in this data table.

The issue was that the program was written in a way that when it created that data table it sorted the data by the customer ID# and the 3 data values that we cared about, and that was it. As our system runs on multiple processors, it divides up tasks according to what the load on the system is, and this means that different chunks of information are potentially handled in different order each time a program is run. When the data was being sorted it sorted by the 4 explicitly defined sorting variables just fine, but any rows that had the same values for those sorting variables but different values for other variables could potentially be returned consecutively but in any order. So when the program subsequently took the step to only retain rows that contained the first time a customer appeared in this data table, the values for the 5th variable onward were essentially selected nondeterministically. Hence the inconsistencies. Basically the way that the results were returned for each customer looked something like this, with the first 4 columns being the variables that they were sorted on:

The above is dummy data that isn't anything like the info we were looking at, but the point is this is how they were differently ordered despite being sorted by the first 4 variables. In the first run it would retain the data from Service #1, but in the second run it would retain the data from Service #4.

It took me ~8 hours to investigate, test, check and double check a solution, and submit my changes for review. A lot of this time was spend waiting for the program to finish running so I did other work concurrently, but essentially the whole thing took a full day of work to solve. The solution that I found which adhered to the principal of making the minimum change necessary to result in the desired outcome was to add an additional variable to the sorting step - this variable was a transaction number unique to individual transactions, which meant that the data would be sorted in the same way each time, which meant that taking the first row that a customer appeared in would always return the same data given that the input data was the same. The actual code that I wrote for this full day's work was exactly this:

code:
 , trnsnmbr */CHG#10 additional sorting variable added to resolve nondeterministic selection of data /*
That's it. The comment explaining what the change did is like 8 times longer than the actual change itself. But the report was fixed, would return consistent results when run on the same data every time which means that it met our quality standards, and could be used again in the knowledge that the info in it was sound.

Now imagine being asked to provide a code sample for a half-witted egomaniac of a boss to justify what you've been doing with yourself, and all they see, devoid of all context and understanding of what you've actually been working on, is " , trnsnmbr".

Granted it's a bit of an extreme example, but I think it illustrates the difference between required effort, impact, and the actual volume of code produced. And consider that this kind of thing - small changes that solve issues with minimal impact - is generally the purview of teams responsible for maintaining and upkeeping existing code. Particularly consider it in the context of Twitter's current performance. I'm not saying that he actually personally reviewed the code that he was provided - that was clearly just fodder for his fanbase who thinks that Elon is a real-life Iron Man who is capable of instantly assessing a coder's worth from a snippet of contextless code sample. But if his selection of who to cut was in reality based in any way on metrics that included volume of code produced, then maintenance teams would tend to be disproportionately represented, wouldn't they?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Breetai posted:

What makes me waver between laughing out loud and cursing profusely is that stupid loving code review bullshit that he insisted upon. "Show me a sample of code that you wrote that is spectacular and that will wow me/show your worth to the organisation" is so unbelievably wrongheaded that it's hard to describe exactly how terrible it is, but I'm going to try. Apologies for a rambling infodump but I'm going to try to explain it in a way that non-full-time code monkeys can understand it

So I'm a programmer on a Maintenance team for the scheduled reports that my organisation creates. Our job is to keep the programs running when there are changes to databases or our physical infrastructure, and to fix any identified problems with the code.

One such task I was given was when a program kept on outputting different results with the same input. You could run it twice on the same data, even on the same day, and the results were grossly inconsistent. None of the values that were actually critical for the report for were inconsistent, but every other value was - this was taken as a sign that the report's accuracy was suspect.

I had to look at the program, which I had never seen before, figure out where the inconsistencies were coming from, and fix it. This involved basically unpicking thousands of lines of code that someone else wrote to work out what did what, and running it multiple times in stages to try to work out what was happening. Eventually I found the cause.

Basically, the data table that was feeding into the report contained transaction data for a large number of customers. This included an ID# for the customer on our system, 3 columns with the data values that we cared about and which were critical to the report, and a bunch of other columns that we didn't really care about the contents of. Now several customers had multiple entries in this data, but we didn't want them to appear several times in the output report. As the ID# for the customer and the values we cared about were the same across every entry for each individual customer, the guy who had written the program included a step that basically told the program to only retain rows that contained the first time a customer appeared in this data table.

The issue was that the program was written in a way that when it created that data table it sorted the data by the customer ID# and the 3 data values that we cared about, and that was it. As our system runs on multiple processors, it divides up tasks according to what the load on the system is, and this means that different chunks of information are potentially handled in different order each time a program is run. When the data was being sorted it sorted by the 4 explicitly defined sorting variables just fine, but any rows that had the same values for those sorting variables but different values for other variables could potentially be returned consecutively but in any order. So when the program subsequently took the step to only retain rows that contained the first time a customer appeared in this data table, the values for the 5th variable onward were essentially selected nondeterministically. Hence the inconsistencies. Basically the way that the results were returned for each customer looked something like this, with the first 4 columns being the variables that they were sorted on:

The above is dummy data that isn't anything like the info we were looking at, but the point is this is how they were differently ordered despite being sorted by the first 4 variables. In the first run it would retain the data from Service #1, but in the second run it would retain the data from Service #4.

It took me ~8 hours to investigate, test, check and double check a solution, and submit my changes for review. A lot of this time was spend waiting for the program to finish running so I did other work concurrently, but essentially the whole thing took a full day of work to solve. The solution that I found which adhered to the principal of making the minimum change necessary to result in the desired outcome was to add an additional variable to the sorting step - this variable was a transaction number unique to individual transactions, which meant that the data would be sorted in the same way each time, which meant that taking the first row that a customer appeared in would always return the same data given that the input data was the same. The actual code that I wrote for this full day's work was exactly this:

code:
 , trnsnmbr */CHG#10 additional sorting variable added to resolve nondeterministic selection of data /*
That's it. The comment explaining what the change did is like 8 times longer than the actual change itself. But the report was fixed, would return consistent results when run on the same data every time which means that it met our quality standards, and could be used again in the knowledge that the info in it was sound.

Now imagine being asked to provide a code sample for a half-witted egomaniac of a boss to justify what you've been doing with yourself, and all they see, devoid of all context and understanding of what you've actually been working on, is " , trnsnmbr".

Granted it's a bit of an extreme example, but I think it illustrates the difference between required effort, impact, and the actual volume of code produced. And consider that this kind of thing - small changes that solve issues with minimal impact - is generally the purview of teams responsible for maintaining and upkeeping existing code. Particularly consider it in the context of Twitter's current performance. I'm not saying that he actually personally reviewed the code that he was provided - that was clearly just fodder for his fanbase who thinks that Elon is a real-life Iron Man who is capable of instantly assessing a coder's worth from a snippet of contextless code sample. But if his selection of who to cut was in reality based in any way on metrics that included volume of code produced, then maintenance teams would tend to be disproportionately represented, wouldn't they?

🤣🤣

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Roblo posted:

🤣🤣

Concerning.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Having done UX design work for over a decade, it never ceased to amaze me that I had to explain to high-level management in an online company that no, this is not a black and white design, and in fact is just a wireframe.

In the end, it’s not something I’ve managed to convey efficiently - the company opted to build it’s own visual design code-based sandbox to skirt the wireframing/design development stage and A/B teSt M0ar FAster vereyhting!

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Breetai posted:

" , trnsnmbr"

Elon would 100% fixate on this and demand to know why there's a reference to 'transmember' in Twitter's broke, woke code.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Breetai posted:

You figured out the problem and put in a solution which thereby improved the quality of the reporting. The fact that it didn't take lines of code, refactoring and rewrites shows that you knew what you were doing.

The notion that lines of code = positive output is so broke brained and archaic, of course Elon loves stupid memes from aeons ago. I'm pretty sure you could get some kind of executive position at Twitter just by showing some overly complicated, nigh inscrutable code behemoth and claim that it enables the SKSO to control the DS9.

He's such a dumbass, god!!!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Ignis posted:

motherfucker seriously believes designers have to code

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1633016157568651264

Holy loving poo poo if that isn't clear cut discrimination and loving hate crimes against someone disabled.

Like dude just daily somehow keeps digging loving deeper into the bedrock and keeps loving finding new lows.

Just gently caress you Elon, gently caress you.

And I sincerely hope that the dude has a contract like resetera states and it then gets a goddamn country to sue Twitter for breaking contract and drags him over the coals. Dude deserves way better then how's he's being treated

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmao please someone get under elon's skin enough that his next move is attempting to define "actual work" and outlining how much of it he himself has done

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

You are fired.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
This thread is proof enough that anyone who paid for Twitter blue should be on some kind of registry, blue tick pushes an insane theory, other blue ticks drooling at the mouth to agree, algo prioritises it. Congratulations Elno you have the truest genious platform
https://twitter.com/dom_lucre/status/1631764763385405443?t=t0VBcwMMiSJ950tnJUvJFg&s=19

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i wouldn't care, since you already told me covid-19 was just harmless flu that everyone was overreacting to

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yes but you forget that a cornerstone of centrist thought is that the enemy is simultaneously insurmountably powerful and laughably harmless.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
How can centrism have a cornerstone? :thunk:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Now imagine you'd have had to delete an extra column from the query and explain that to the dumbest, most cooked motherfucker alive while he's tweeting stolen memes.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Paracausal posted:

This thread is proof enough that anyone who paid for Twitter blue should be on some kind of registry, blue tick pushes an insane theory, other blue ticks drooling at the mouth to agree, algo prioritises it. Congratulations Elno you have the truest genious platform
https://twitter.com/dom_lucre/status/1631764763385405443?t=t0VBcwMMiSJ950tnJUvJFg&s=19

Lmao this has to be the parade of the dumbest people in the world. Just so gd dumb

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

thin blue whine posted:

The guy didn't even insult Elon or slight him at all, and Elon just openly, in front of God, the Meme Community, and everyone viciously poo poo talked this dude for daring to speak to him.

Yeah that's what makes this so enraging, he was just asking for confirmation that he was fired. He wasn't badmouthing Elon or attacking Twitter, continually said that Elon had every right to lay him off, etc. The reaction of Musk and his fans is insane and so defensive. Right to victim mode, the poor helpless billionaire being bullied by the mean disabled former employee. What is a poor Elon to do but make a complete rear end of himself in public instead of just sorting this internally, like a normal company would.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Funky See Funky Do posted:

How can centrism have a cornerstone? :thunk:

I'm trying a new thing where I paraphrase famous quotes about fascism and sub in the word "centrist" as an homage to Elon's absolutely undefinable political views.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I don't think bit got mentioned:

quote:

He thinks for Mr Musk it's about money. He says cleaning and catering staff were all sacked - and that Mr Musk even tried to sell the office plants to employees.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64804007

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Has he called takebacks on the NDA waiver and sued him for speaking yet?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Even Hasbulla isn't safe.

https://twitter.com/HasbullaHive/status/1632801444939317250

https://twitter.com/HasbullaHive/status/1632802708938985474

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/williamlegate/status/1632853475850612736

lol

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thats gonna be a ban

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol Elon publicly disgraced a beloved former employee because he's dumb and paranoid and thought it was a troll

Figma balls Elon, figma balls

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Elon going from desk to desk asking if anyone wants to buy the office pot plants haha.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1633022329692340225
Oh hey look, it gets worse. The guy posts a picture of himself, in a wheelchair because...well he's in a wheelchair, and the Elon fans' response is about as level headed and friendly as you would expect

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Animal-Mother posted:

this is the most unprofessional thing ive ever seen and ive seen heavy equipment operated by drunks

😂😂

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What am I reading....christ

Kale
May 14, 2010

Now Elon's beef seems to be that the Jan 6 commission was bad and faked and spreading disinformation and propaganda regarding it's activities to help repair the image of fascists as best he can. Kind of makes you wonder just how much money he's going to be shoveling at awful GOP candidates once everything has completely shaken up by 2024. It'll probably be taking up 100% of his time and twitter will have transitioned into a full blown right wing propaganda social media site the likes of which the world has never seen, even in Truth Social and Rumble. Like the things is there's tons of options already if you're into this poo poo.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Tai posted:

What am I reading....christ

As near as I can figure God created this man to be a living parable and the bearer of his lesson that greed, hubris, and vanity will be our undoing. But he also made a good chunk of people too stupid to understand the lesson let alone learn from it. So, I dunno. A joke?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

It's scary, the level to which they ignore material reality when it comes into conflict with whatever elon says.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

delightful posted:

Elon loving sucks but holy loving poo poo his sycophants are soooooo much worse. Jesus Christ, humanity is doomed. Please let them all end up on Mars and get them the gently caress off this planet.

Thank you. I just read that after a rather hard day, and visualised it actually happening. It made me feel good.

Ah, if only MoronElon could be on the first rocket.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kale posted:

Now Elon's beef seems to be that the Jan 6 commission was bad and faked and spreading disinformation and propaganda regarding it's activities to help repair the image of fascists as best he can. Kind of makes you wonder just how much money he's going to be shoveling at awful GOP candidates once everything has completely shaken up by 2024. It'll probably be taking up 100% of his time and twitter will have transitioned into a full blown right wing propaganda social media site the likes of which the world has never seen, even in Truth Social and Rumble. Like the things is there's tons of options already if you're into this poo poo.

Elon is stupid, lazy, and miserly. At best he'll post a tweet about how centrist he is but is voting straight republican.

assuming twitter lasts that long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The cool dude is currently rinsing Elon in a long thread where he also points out that Musk basically publicly tweeted out his health status that he had told HR in confidence. Which seems massively discriminatory and illegal.

https://twitter.com/iamharaldur/status/1633082707835080705?s=61&t=lCUtLD2mloWN4vLs8kjQ2w

Don't read the Elon stans in the replies though, jesus gently caress.