Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Has anyone ever let 'something is about to happen to skill' go ahead and actually gotten a better/more useful one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Has anyone ever let 'something is about to happen to skill' go ahead and actually gotten a better/more useful one?

It depends on the game. My second to last run of Nocturne I believe it was, Tao Tie's Megido turned to Megidola and then to Phys Drain. I was very happy with all of this.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Over the years they have gone from "a mystery skill will change into another mystery skill" to "this skill is going to mutate into that skill" or "the demon wants to learn this skill, give up another skill to replace it?", which are both a million times more agreeable.

Otherwise, no, I only go with random mutations when stock or chain fusion fodder demons I don't care about in the first place offer them to me. The mechanics of this aren't entirely terrible, as the new skill is supposed to be at least one tier higher than the old one. (e.g. dia and agi can turn into media or maragi, but not into each other). Even so, if the odds of losing a good skill are over 50% (because 4+ of its 8 skills are stuff you want to keep), it's not worth the risk. If the demon has only one or two actually useful skills plus 6 other trash filler stuff then it's a little bit better.

e: like off the top of my head I can think of a few times it paid off and I got very useful passives like Growth 4 or Resist Phys this way that I proceeded to register in the compendium and fuse into future demons, but it happens like once in each of the games with that mechanic, at most.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 18, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Sakurazuka posted:

I've gambled and won a decent amount of times, but i know when to not stupidly risk something solid. If it's a demon I have registered in a compendium already right before this level-up? gently caress yeah let's run the reels and get that resist to a null, which has happened to me before.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

I got Victory Cry off of it once way way before that would have ever been available to me normally, but yeah I only roll the dice on recently registered stuff or things that are fusion fodder anyways.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

YamataNoOrochi posted:

I got Victory Cry off of it once way way before that would have ever been available to me normally, but yeah I only roll the dice on recently registered stuff or things that are fusion fodder anyways.

Victory Cry especially is extremely easy to get when you understand how the system works, to the point of trivializing most of the game.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Is it worth getting Game Pass on PC for Soul Hackers 2? I heard it was average gameplay with repetitive dungeons.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never pay for subscriptions

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Alder posted:

Is it worth getting Game Pass on PC for Soul Hackers 2? I heard it was average gameplay with repetitive dungeons.

Probably not, as single reasons to get Game Pass go.

Plenty of good ones though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Alder posted:

If you can get that 1 dollar game pass thingy, maybe?

I have Game Pass anyway for Forza, and currently playing Persona 5 Royal, it's been good value for me, and the only "content" subscription I have. Still doubt it's worth it just for a single game you can probably get on sale somewhere, but I got it as the 1 dollar deal for Forza and have played a good few games I'd otherwise have skipped (Powerwashing Simulator, P5R, Hardspace Shipbreaker, DQXI)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Serperoth posted:

If you can get that 1 dollar game pass thingy, maybe?

I have Game Pass anyway for Forza, and currently playing Persona 5 Royal, it's been good value for me, and the only "content" subscription I have. Still doubt it's worth it just for a single game you can probably get on sale somewhere, but I got it as the 1 dollar deal for Forza and have played a good few games I'd otherwise have skipped (Powerwashing Simulator, P5R, Hardspace Shipbreaker, DQXI)

Sadly I used the $1 promo on P5:R last year at launch :sigh:

I will keep waiting for a good sale then.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kinda wanna replay Nocturne. God how I wish HardType had been redone as a mod for Nocturne HD on Steam. It be the definitive version of the game if it was but, as it is, I will have to go back to Nocturne on PCSX2 because I wanna try a full HT run. I made it to the Diet Building on my one HardType run but I basically ignored Labyrinth of Amala and all the bosses associated with it so I missed a lot. Wanna beat the whole game this time and see all the hack has to offer.

Probably gonna go for Musubi as I've gotten TDE and Yosuga. Hikawa might have the best Reason Monologue but he's easily the worst of the three Reason bearers. I mean, he's the villain of the first half of the game. It's kinda hard to justify turning around and being like "hey, you tried to kill me a lot, but I like you now." Even if you agreed with him, why would you trust this man? You've already seen how he treated his last "partner.'

Isamu is a jerk too but he doesn't try to kill you so he's the second nicest of the three.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm shoveling all the 3ds SMT titles into a big sack before the shop closes, are any of the dlc's more substantial than 12 minutes of plot and 2 boss fights

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

https://personacentral.com/smt-series-30th-anniversary-event/

There's a 30th anniversary event in May.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I will kill for the tarot deck

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

In Persona 4, there's a day when Kanji's dungeon is available where the chance the skill mutation is higher. Right around then, the player should be hovering around the level to make Kaiwan which has Tetrakarn in its starting skillet. If you make it from the bare minimum personas, you have an easier chance of Tetrakarn being randomly selected for mutation (since you couldn't control inherits in P4) which can change into Reflect [Element] or other extremely powerful defensive tools. Needless to say, getting Reflect Physical that early on is absurdly good, especially for Kanji's dungeon and boss and can carry you through a large portion of the game.

Alder posted:

I'm playing through it right now with Gamepass too and that's a very accurate statement. That main thing about it is that the game mostly tests your patience rather than anything else like resource management because without a calender like in Persona 5 and random encounters having no teeth in making you fight them, every dungeon is just a matter of how much time you want to spend going through a couple loading screens to go back to base to heal back up before continuing. They try to make you have some stakes in returning to heal since you lose your food buff by doing so but it's so cheap to get another food buff it just adds to the tedium of going to buy another meal from one of the several shops before getting back into the dungeon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just played through P5 Royal on switch and it felt like in that game the mutation had a high chance of giving you skills that are 100% an upgrade. Common as well because you can do the velvet alarm to forge mutations so you see a bunch.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
playing through Soul Hackers 2 on PC game pass and despite the game having bizarre performance issues on my machine I'm having a pretty good time! Still early goings but I'm a little surprised how poorly this reviewed when it came out.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Yes, I enjoyed it too, the character designs mostly (Ringo is cool) and also the party chat (Ringo is funny, Saizo is a wife guy, Milady is a cynic and Arrow is there). Dungeons could have been more interesting visually but the final one at least was really pretty. I really liked the Sabbath mechanic.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I just played through P5 Royal on switch and it felt like in that game the mutation had a high chance of giving you skills that are 100% an upgrade. Common as well because you can do the velvet alarm to forge mutations so you see a bunch.

I believe in P5R there's two kinds of mutations, one is an upgrade (so Agi will become Agilao or Maragi), and another just changes the skill entirely. I could be wrong, I think the latter happens if there's a malfunction with the guillotine when you use a demon fused during the alarm again? Like you fuse two into Matador, then if you try to fuse Matador into something, accident, you get all changed? Not a guarantee I genuinely am not sure

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

hughesta posted:

playing through Soul Hackers 2 on PC game pass and despite the game having bizarre performance issues on my machine I'm having a pretty good time! Still early goings but I'm a little surprised how poorly this reviewed when it came out.

Soul Hackers 2 is a perfectly good game with some bad dungeon design. I like the cast more than almost any other SMT game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOKyf_7J6sA

Last day of Persona 3

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Serperoth posted:

I believe in P5R there's two kinds of mutations, one is an upgrade (so Agi will become Agilao or Maragi), and another just changes the skill entirely. I could be wrong, I think the latter happens if there's a malfunction with the guillotine when you use a demon fused during the alarm again? Like you fuse two into Matador, then if you try to fuse Matador into something, accident, you get all changed? Not a guarantee I genuinely am not sure

If you fuse a demon during Alert then fuse the result it changes ALL skills and gives an accident but they’re usually “themed”. Like one will give you every status skill, one every resist skill. They’re usually made to fuse on it feels like not to actually use

I didn’t realize until like 70 hours in you can actually do other things during the alarm instead of fuse twice to end it

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The one alarm thing I never really figured out (or needed/cared to, either, honestly) was if you get better results with Lockdown by putting a thing in jail during an alarm or taking it back out then. Incenses clearly give better results by being applied during alarm at least.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Playing the PS1 port of SMTI. Game seems way harder, or maybe I just got used to sleepwalking through SMTII. Massive QOL improvement asking you if you'd like to talk to repeated dialogue on entering a square instead of firing immediately.

Bind is still absolute bullshit, worse status effect in history.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
thinking about messing around with another playthrough of SMTV

whats the trick to getting the Chaos Miracle at the end again? just pick the rudest dialog options? thats typically the second one right?

also, is there a canon or semicanon name for the Nahobino? from like a radio show or manga or something

wizard2 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 15, 2023

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Yong Mann.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just pick a name that sounds cool. Worrying about canon is for suckers

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
yeah, was curious. I went with Jack Elden :patriot:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is that a scarvoi gang tag?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

HootTheOwl posted:

Is that a scarvoi gang tag?

yup! check out the Pokemon thread rn

I love digital demons and pocket monsters

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

wizard2 posted:

also, is there a canon or semicanon name for the Nahobino? from like a radio show or manga or something

Ray Jay Nahobino

(I did check JP wikis and there's no canonical name for the protag though)

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 16, 2023

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

as always, Raidou Kuzunoha

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efhPtMdGJH8

I have no idea what I'm supposed to make of this. It's like Persona 5 but tilted 5 degrees askew. I'd assume it's a Chinese knockoff from the Chinese subtitles but 1. they've got SEGA's logo and 2. this is way too good looking to just be a knockoff.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mobile game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Junpei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efhPtMdGJH8

I have no idea what I'm supposed to make of this. It's like Persona 5 but tilted 5 degrees askew. I'd assume it's a Chinese knockoff from the Chinese subtitles but 1. they've got SEGA's logo and 2. this is way too good looking to just be a knockoff.

It's not a knockoff, but it is by a chinese dev with no announced Japanese release (granted it doesn't have a domestic date either). They have support from atlus but it might be a case where they got a narrow license deal to just P5 and decided to do this rather than the usual route of mining the original game then tacking on original characters as you run out of ideas for variants of them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is it weird that I'm actually intrigued by this? a Persona 5 remix with new characters and story but the same broad gameplay sounds actually kinda rad.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Junpei posted:

Is it weird that I'm actually intrigued by this? a Persona 5 remix with new characters and story but the same broad gameplay sounds actually kinda rad.

Not weird to be intrigued by it, I'm naturally a bit intrigued by it also.
Could be decent, looks decent, though given that it's a mobile game I'm sure it's going to be balanced by gacha, making the game insanely grindy if you don't get the in-app pruchases, or some other scummy F2P monetization model.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 17, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The owl's name is Luffy... I don't know what to do with this information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The owl's name is Luffy... I don't know what to do with this information