Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Failed Imagineer posted:

nnnnope. Beaches take thousands of years to form. there just won't be any beaches, anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I do enjoy all the "Our army is too small" chat because the big thing going unsaid is that one of the main contributing factors for this is that recruitment is massively down due to there being several wars that served absolutely zero purpose and saw millions die, and even people who hosed everything up at school want no part in that.

And also it underlines that the point of the army isn't defense but its to make sure that we're always handing money over to arms manufacturers.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Whenever there is discussion of British armed forces and their strength my mind always turns to this image. Which I think now is incorrect as we only have one. And it doesn’t work.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

Whenever there is discussion of British armed forces and their strength my mind always turns to this image. Which I think now is incorrect as we only have one. And it doesn’t work.

Two. It was going to be one before Spicy Putin but we did commission both of them. And as far as I'm aware they work about as well as any new-into-service ships?

(Could do with some more planes, mind.)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

feedmegin posted:

And as far as I'm aware they work about as well as any new-into-service ships?

The Prince of Wales is hosed.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

feedmegin posted:

And as far as I'm aware they work about as well as any new-into-service ships?
(Could do with some more planes, mind.)

This is not a fantastically high bar, pretty much every Defence procurement costs too much, under delivers and is behind schedule.

The open secret with carriers is that in any conflict with a modern power would render them pretty much redundant instantly.

We only got two in the end to 'impress the Americans'.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 7, 2023

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

What are your blokes thoughts on Michael John Gapes, former MP for Ilford South and founder of The Independent Group, rejoining the Labour Party at the invitation of its general secretary David Evans

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heya folks, car is broken and that is mine and the Mrs only way to get to work atm. Can anyone recommend what to do or who to talk to it'd be brilliant

Keep safe everyone.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Josef bugman posted:

Heya folks, car is broken and that is mine and the Mrs only way to get to work atm. Can anyone recommend what to do or who to talk to it'd be brilliant

Keep safe everyone.

a garage

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Wizard Master posted:

What are your blokes thoughts on Michael John Gapes, former MP for Ilford South and founder of The Independent Group, rejoining the Labour Party at the invitation of its general secretary David Evans

why are you here? no one wants you here

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lungboy posted:

The Prince of Wales is hosed.

Those pegging rumours haven't gone away, I see

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Keep safe everyone.

What’s up with it (roughly)? We have had good luck with local mobile mechanics, if it’s something easy they can usually do it at your house, and if they can’t help they can usually advise on what the problem might be. You can then use that information to contact local garages (or something like clickmechanic)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Josef bugman posted:

Keep safe everyone.

go talk to the ai questions thread and explain the problem etc and they might be able to get you going

that or just do it here- I like car problems now I'm not driving an amalgamation of them- what's it doing/not doing?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Failed Imagineer posted:

Those pegging rumours haven't gone away, I see

Ran aground and damaged the prop shaft /nudge nudge.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

are you going to cite that study that compared Teslas to all cars without controlling for demographics? because yeah turns out if you compare Teslas to all drivers including new drivers being boy racers then yes the Teslas are comparable, which isn't the safety report you're claiming

Lol, you just snottily made up an argument for me, then told me I was wrong. well done.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Josef bugman posted:

Keep safe everyone.

Could use some more information regarding how it’s broken and what it’s doing/not doing.

I.e does it start/not start, making a funny noise, kicking black smoke out the exhaust, etc. Manufacturer, model, year, mileage etc.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

didn’t brazil just chuck their one into the sea because it was full of asbestos and toxic gasses?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

FIAT 500, made in 2012 but only about 38,000 miles on the clock.

It's essentially rattling whenever I turn the engine on and making slight grinding noises. Just had MOT. Taken to garage so they can have a look. Main problem is that it's only means of transport and garage doesn't get courtesy car back till Friday and we kind of need to work.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

That diagram is significantly out of date.

It shows the UK 'carriers' as Illustrious (the last of the old 1980s light carriers) and Ocean (a helicopter carrier built to commercial standards). So it dates to 2013-2017.

The RN now has two Lizzy-class carriers, about three times the displacement of those ones, and closer in size to the American carriers in the diagram. Both are commissioned, Prince of Wales is currently broken after failing to sail around the Isle of Wight.

The USA currently has 11 carriers in service- nearly half the world's total. Current mechanical issues aside, the UK is one of only two nations other than the US with multiple full-size fixed wing carriers in service - India is the other. China has two, but one is the ancient ex-Soviet sister of that Russian one that trails smoke everywhere i t goes between fires and breakdowns. Italy has one full-size carrier and a 40-year old light carrier.

And, apart from the Americans, the UK is the only country with more than one carrier with the capability to sustain them at sea in 'blue water' regions for long periods.

Whether that's a reasonable capability for a small archipelago with a post-industrial economy and numerous deep-rooted domestic social issues to spend £10sbillions generating and maintaining is another matter, of course.

Jel Shaker posted:

didn’t brazil just chuck their one into the sea because it was full of asbestos and toxic gasses?

Yes - 600 tons of asbestos.

We sold them Ocean as a replacement.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 7, 2023

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

BalloonFish posted:

the UK is the only country with more than one carrier with the capability to sustain them at sea in 'blue water' regions for long periods.

Doesn't that capability include hiring foreign vessels to refuel them though?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

It's essentially rattling whenever I turn the engine on and making slight grinding noises. Just had MOT. Taken to garage so they can have a look. Main problem is that it's only means of transport and garage doesn't get courtesy car back till Friday and we kind of need to work.

You can rent another fiat 500 for 25 quid a day, maybe less.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

If your insurance provides for a hire car they may be able to arrange one but I would imagine it counts as a claim and presumably they will bill you your excess and lose your no claims bonus, and it would still take a day or so most likely. Your other option would be getting your own hire car or taxis, but both are expensive.

Best hope I think is that it's an easy fix at the garage, sucks like hell but at least you were able to get it to one and they're willing to look at it.

If the engine works and you can drive it and it still sounds weird when idling then that might indicate something non-essential is loose in the engine bay and has come undone, in which case hopefully it will be as simple as putting it back on and tightening it down. Hopefully it isn't something like the transmission.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 7, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol, you just snottily made up an argument for me, then told me I was wrong. well done.

All of you Musk stans are predictable, sorry.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Although I like how now I've predicted your entire argument and pre-emptively pointed out it's full of poo poo you've had to fall back on "oh you think you know what I'm going to say" :smug: and not provided anything.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You can rent another fiat 500 for 25 quid a day, maybe less.

yeah seconding this

hire car will probably work out cheaper than taxis

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Although I like how now I've predicted your entire argument and pre-emptively pointed out it's full of poo poo you've had to fall back on "oh you think you know what I'm going to say" :smug: and not provided anything.

I didn't make the argument you weirdo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This may be a poo poo argument:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

your wrong actually

but it's an argument.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jel Shaker posted:

Most countries throw their aircraft carriers in the sea.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

This may be a poo poo argument:

but it's an argument.

You're both being very tiresome, but at least 99s oblivious dick-riding for Musk provides the thread with consistent entertainment

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

Isn't our sole one still languishing in a dry dock?

BalloonFish posted:

The RN now has two Lizzy-class carriers, about three times the displacement of those ones, and closer in size to the American carriers in the diagram. Both are commissioned, Prince of Wales is currently broken after failing to sail around the Isle of Wight.

Oh we have another one? Well that's all right then. Russia thwarted.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

but not, necessarily, the royal navy, which has a particular habit of suggesting that geography is actually a boat so i see no reason why they could not simply commission as many aircraft carriers as they like.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
You can't have any more carriers until you finish your nuclear submarine graveyard.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

but not, necessarily, the royal navy, which has a particular habit of suggesting that geography is actually a boat so i see no reason why they could not simply commission as many aircraft carriers as they like.

quote:

The Royal Navy was prohibited from ruling over land, so the land was commissioned as a ship.

On second thought maybe this new anti-asylum-seeker law is going to succeed because I forgot how much we just make poo poo up when it comes to the seas.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

If your insurance provides for a hire car they may be able to arrange one but I would imagine it counts as a claim and presumably they will bill you your excess and lose your no claims bonus, and it would still take a day or so most likely. Your other option would be getting your own hire car or taxis, but both are expensive.

Best hope I think is that it's an easy fix at the garage, sucks like hell but at least you were able to get it to one and they're willing to look at it.

If the engine works and you can drive it and it still sounds weird when idling then that might indicate something non-essential is loose in the engine bay and has come undone, in which case hopefully it will be as simple as putting it back on and tightening it down. Hopefully it isn't something like the transmission.

Well as a quick response it appears as if the problem is with the spark plugs causing something in one of the cylinders to misfire.

My insurance doesn't cover a spare in place of the current one unless in case of accident.

The garage does have a spare car which I can get on Friday. But that's less of a bother atm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can see where the sovcits get the idea from honestly, but they critically fail to realise that the reason the RN can do that is because at the time they had more guns than anybody else.

Josef bugman posted:

Well as a quick response it appears as if the problem is with the spark plugs causing something in one of the cylinders to misfire.

My insurance doesn't cover a spare in place of the current one unless in case of accident.

The garage does have a spare car which I can get on Friday. But that's less of a bother atm.

Oh well then the sparks should be a fairly easy replacement and hopefully they will have it back to you soon. They shouldn't be overly expensive either.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

You can see where the sovcits get the idea from honestly, but they critically fail to realise that the reason the RN can do that is because at the time they had more guns than anybody else.

So now gunboat diplomacy is being done from stationary rocks, typical.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

You're both being very tiresome, but at least 99s oblivious dick-riding for Musk provides the thread with consistent entertainment

Good old Elon who is currently *checks notes* mocking a disabled Twitter worker who he fired without notice for being unable to type

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Oh well then the sparks should be a fairly easy replacement and hopefully they will have it back to you soon. They shouldn't be overly expensive either.

I hope so. I'm more just annoyed that we've never worked from home and now work are demanding that my Mrs goes about doing so without any adequate training.

Our car has broken, we should get a day to try and fix the bugger and run around getting it done, not being told we need to loving Skype in or whatever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You would hope so yeah, sorry your work is knobheads, hopefully it won't be a problem longer than today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

smellmycheese posted:

Good old Elon who is currently *checks notes* mocking a disabled Twitter worker who he fired without notice for being unable to type

Don't forget Ebam's Worlds other argument, which is "how can this guy be considered an employee if he never did the work we hired him for?" Just imagine he had the suggestion face imaginable while saying this.