Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Lord Ludikrous posted:

This is a slow mo so you can see how the recoil mechanism works.

https://i.imgur.com/U3B73Nm.mp4

This one has sound and is normal speed.

https://i.imgur.com/FwuGy5y.mp4
This is so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FPyat posted:

By the way, how do people handle ventilation in winter? My only option is opening the windows so I've been on hiatus all this year.

Venti-what? Never heard of the term.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My man if you’re not getting high on solvents are you even modelling?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Fancied a booty shot.

That bike is way off scale.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FPyat posted:

By the way, how do people handle ventilation in winter? My only option is opening the windows so I've been on hiatus all this year.

1. YOLO it and huff solvents like a true hobbiest.
2. Wear a respirator with filters that include an organic vapor component.
3. Open the window and wear a coat.

I prefer option 2, unless I'm lazy or in a rush to try something, in which case it's option 1. My work room is a poorly sealed 3-season room and entirely unheated, so it's just about as cold and ventilated with the storm windows open as shut.

But no, seriously. A respirator will do you wonders. Now, if you've got to worry about other people in the area, that's another problem entirely. There's no solution that doesn't end up with someone being uncomfortable.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
3 pets in the house so the only thing I'm okay with doing is working out on the patio. I guess plastic would melt in July sunlight but I have shade.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So I just got a 1/16 scale Panzer IV from Trumpeter...

:hfive:

This is a large lad, it took me about six months from start to finish. I think the key for me was to treat each component as a separate project: the hull tub, upper hull, turret, and crewmen were each their own individual stages.

FPyat posted:

The old fashioned way. Keep a rubber mallet on hand to hammer your window shut when it freezes over.

Edit: do get a respirator though. It's great for lots of reasons, especially if you take up 3D printing as well.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 4, 2023

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

FPyat posted:

I bought one of those $150 or so spray booths from amazon. Ditched the hose that came with it and replaced it with a more flexible dryer hose and picked up some dryer exhaust vent stuff that is installed into a piece of plywood. I removed the window in my basement and put the plywood in place of it. If you work with lacquers and use one of these spray booths, you'll want to get a sheet of HDPE, LDPE, or something like that to put down inside it as a work surface because whatever plastic they made that booth out of dissolves into a gooey mess when it comes into contact with lacquer paint or thinner.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I'm planning to try some of the Mr. Hobby brand stuff as well. I like the idea of liquid mask, but up until now the reality of it has kept me away from it.

I've had success with Mr Masking Sol R - it's water-based so won't eat paint and is very easy to clean up.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the only liquid mask i've found that works a drat is humbol's maskol but you can't use brushes with it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Which is wild because the bottle I got came with a little brush in the lid like a it was a bottle of Tipex.

Gewehr 43 posted:

I did that with a bottle of Vallejo air silver metallic. That's when I learned that the dropper tip is just press fit into the neck of the bottle. It looked like a metallic silver bomb went off in my model room.
Yeah, that realisation was not pleasant for me either.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

I did that with a bottle of Vallejo air silver metallic. That's when I learned that the dropper tip is just press fit into the neck of the bottle. It looked like a metallic silver bomb went off in my model room.

Edit: it was not easy to clean up.

This is another good use for gallon ziplocks, do this sort of thing inside one of those and it really limits the blast damage.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PANZER BEOBACHTUNGSWAGEN IV AUSF. J / PANZERBEFEHLSWAGEN - 1:16

Gotta figure out if I want to make it a destroyed piece or how crazy I'd want to make a diorama (since I've never done one before).

Then figure out what paint scheme I want to use...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
A broken down tank is a great way to show off all the interior bits.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the only liquid mask i've found that works a drat is humbol's maskol but you can't use brushes with it

You can use brushes if you use the cheap disposable brushes at 10 cents each:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09LH2QL51/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Definitely do not use good brushes with this stuff. It will completely gum up the bristles and destroy them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SkunkDuster posted:

I bought one of those $150 or so spray booths from amazon. Ditched the hose that came with it and replaced it with a more flexible dryer hose and picked up some dryer exhaust vent stuff that is installed into a piece of plywood. I removed the window in my basement and put the plywood in place of it. If you work with lacquers and use one of these spray booths, you'll want to get a sheet of HDPE, LDPE, or something like that to put down inside it as a work surface because whatever plastic they made that booth out of dissolves into a gooey mess when it comes into contact with lacquer paint or thinner.

Pretty sure we have the same model. I do not know why they chose cylinder plugs for the LED lights, and acetone does in fact turn the thing into goop.

Works pretty good otherwise.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Warmachine posted:

Pretty sure we have the same model. I do not know why they chose cylinder plugs for the LED lights, and acetone does in fact turn the thing into goop.

Works pretty good otherwise.

The first thing I did was remove the cold white LEDs and replace them with warm white LED strips. It was a pretty easy conversion if you can solder. I'm guessing they used cold white because they could advertise a higher brightness rating, but that blue light is awful.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SkunkDuster posted:

The first thing I did was remove the cold white LEDs and replace them with warm white LED strips. It was a pretty easy conversion if you can solder. I'm guessing they used cold white because they could advertise a higher brightness rating, but that blue light is awful.

I'll make note of it. I'm not sure how I feel about it because I do use a 100w "daylight" bulb for room illumination, which I'm happy with. But at the detail scale, the blue light... I don't know.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I built some planes.

Italeri Fokker F27 and Tamiya (Actually an Italeri rebox) F-117A. The Fokker also has a full interior that's barely visible when done:

Also the first time I've brush painted with Tamiya acrylics and it went better than expected.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gotta finish your interiors or God will know.

I checked out a local hobby place I didn't know existed until recently. They advertise themselves more toward the RC crowd, so I didn't think much of them, but they have a pretty OK selection of kits, and their tools section at least beats Hobby Lobby. But the real find was the 30+ year old kits in the clearly neglected airplanes aisle, and a rubbermaid bin full of random waterslide sheets that were probably printed in the early 1980s. I picked through it a bit, and the goldmine is that quite a few have squadron insignias, which are like gold for me because my primary models are Gunpla, and Bandai does gently caress-all with things like squadron or pilot livery. Considering that a few of the customization ideas bumping around my head are "giant robot but real world squadrons/aces," I'll probably be back to pick through that bin in the coming months.

And also pick up that Hasegawa F-14 from 1989 that I inconspicuously tucked away toward the back of the shelf.

This is all, of course, predicated on me finishing my first complete piece, which I've posted a bit about in the Gunpla thread but thought I'd share here. I'm done with the primary coats on almost every part, though a few like the legs still have some detail work to finish. The legs are a mess of different colors that Bandai didn't bother to separate. But I should be on the last steps of that (some exhaust vents need a coat of yellow for the highlights then black for the actual vents). Since I wanted to show SOMETHING, I did finish assembling the head. The glass effect for the eyes/cameras came out better than I anticipated, but I did have to touch up some spots by hand because there was a drop of cement on my finger and that poo poo eats paint like breakfast. I was also a little trigger happy when I was painting the side vents, so the yellow on those is thicker than I wanted. I'm happy with how it came out though, given this is my first serious attempt at finishing a fully airbrushed/painted kit. Just needs gloss, panel lines, and matte. Maybe a decal depending on what comes in the mail this week.

Maybe a touch up around the camera where some of the clear green got out...

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Plane trip did a number on my ships. Guess I'm bad at cementing because the movement totally broke apart all the superstructure sections.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I hope this will be an idyllic spring to build the Alaska.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

FPyat posted:

Plane trip did a number on my ships. Guess I'm bad at cementing because the movement totally broke apart all the superstructure sections.

I had some similar issues when using the Tamiya Extra Thin not really welding as well as I thought it should, figured it was just me, but I switched to a bottle of SMS Extra Thin and while it's not as thin as the Tamiya, it still flows, and welds so much better, so much faster.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Instead of a tank, I picked up this pair from the hobby shop. I have a new workshop setup for my r/c’s with an airbrush table, so I put a small modeling desk next to it and will build this on it. Fun build so far!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Some work on the gun carriages tonight. Next will be rigging the carriages with all the rope and blocks used to move the guns in and out, and reduce recoil.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

FPyat posted:

I'll have to pack up my ships in a suitcase for my move. Hopefully the masts and gun barrels don't get too busted.

Here's my workstation. The Alaska will look amazing when it's finished.

The Alaska always looks amazing no matter what. An absolutely beautiful ship, like poetry written in steel.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Some work on the gun carriages tonight. Next will be rigging the carriages with all the rope and blocks used to move the guns in and out, and reduce recoil.

Wow, those look great. The metal finish of the cannons is really convincing. Nicely done!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Excellent looking guns/carriages. Nicely done.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dang, that's nice enough that I could see some spit-and-polish hard-horse captain starting the gun crew for leaving the brass unpolished and the chain all ahoo

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
My god, brass for the workhorse cannons?! What sort of fancy lad about town, eel-pie eating, son of High Sea-Lord Shittington is captaining this ship? Next he'll be wanting the finest Manila cordage for hawsers and teak all through the ways.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Don't you know it, Joe. I'll bet my ration His Nobs comes up through the lubber's hole.

Seriously though, very nicely done, looking forward to seeing them in place with the rigging!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Another interior finished. At least this one will be somewhat visible since the turret has an open roof.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Looks good. What is it? the Tamiya M18?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Academy Achilles. I built their Stuart and Grant with interiors too, this one so far is more fun and fits better.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ensign Expendable posted:

Another interior finished. At least this one will be somewhat visible since the turret has an open roof.

The wear pattern on those floors looks so good.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ensign Expendable posted:

Amazing! Will there be an engine in the back eventually?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Amazing! Will there be an engine in the back eventually?

No, it didn't come with one and the hatches didn't have an inner side, so I glued them shut. It's weird that Academy provides the fuel tanks in the engine compartment and then nothing else.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Looking for a bit of painting advice again :cheers:

Here's one of the parts to show where I'm currently at. I've used Vallejo acrylics with a brush and plan to use their acrylic varnish and wash.

What would the result be if I clear coat and then paint the whole piece with a wash?

What would the result be if I do the same but without a clear coat to shield the paint underneath the wash?

The reason I'm asking is because my mind tells me that by washing the whole piece I could maybe give it a more uniform look but it could also just end up as a stained mess. I'm also unsure what shade of color I should use for the wash. I have black, green and brown available and my gut is telling me to use brown but I really don't know if that's right.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Depends on the roughness of the clear coat. You can spray it in a gloss coat and the wash will wipe away to nothing, or you can use a satin or matte coat to only wipe away some and tint the colour of the piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

First build of 2023 finished - ICM's 1/700 SMS Konig, using Flyhawk's photoetch, brass barrels, resin, and wooden lasercut decks. Uschi line for the rigging and a scratch-built sea base.

tidal wave emulator fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 11, 2023