Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shot with a rangefinder lol

Quaker Parrots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Sorbus posted:

I have seen pictures that some people are attaching red dot sights to their birding lenses to help with BIF aiming :blaster:

I picked up one a few weeks ago and finally took it out the other day and it was utterly useless due to the hot shoe adapter being super wobbly. Very annoying, because I really like the idea of being able to track birds in a non-600mm field of view. I didn't have time to troubleshoot it til today - the screw that attaches the hot shoe to the weaver rail was loose. But then when I fixed that, I discovered that the little plate on the bottom was a millimeter or so too narrow, so if the scope gets bumped, it'll wiggle and go out of alignment even if the knob is tightened all the way down. I think I might be able to stick a toothpick in to wedge it in place a bit better, might try that out sometime.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Lights posted:

I picked up one a few weeks ago and finally took it out the other day and it was utterly useless due to the hot shoe adapter being super wobbly. Very annoying, because I really like the idea of being able to track birds in a non-600mm field of view. I didn't have time to troubleshoot it til today - the screw that attaches the hot shoe to the weaver rail was loose. But then when I fixed that, I discovered that the little plate on the bottom was a millimeter or so too narrow, so if the scope gets bumped, it'll wiggle and go out of alignment even if the knob is tightened all the way down. I think I might be able to stick a toothpick in to wedge it in place a bit better, might try that out sometime.

Do you have a picture of this contraption? :v:

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Wibla posted:

Do you have a picture of this contraption? :v:

Sure! So here's the dot sight mounted to the adapter:

Here's the screw on the adapter that was super loose that I thought was the solution to all my problems with it:

Here you can see the gap in the hotshoe adapter plate which causes it to still be super finicky:

And here's what the dot sight looks like when you're looking through it:

The little black caps on the top and left side let you adjust the placement of the dot (needs a small flatblade screwdriver to turn 'em though), you basically mount your camera on a tripod, point your longest lens at something far away, and then adjust the dot sight until the red dot is over whatever the very center of your viewfinder is pointing at. With cheap sights like mine, you need to keep your eye basically on-level with the sight or the dot will drift around, so there's definitely going to be some learning curve once I figure out how to get the thing mounted securely.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Mallard doing his splashy thing

Mallard splashing by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

high 5 splashing friends

it's absurd how much water these geese tossed up into the water

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Is it Birb Splashing Season?

I love Birb Splashing Season.

edit: Also, I "fixed" my dot sight (with toothpicks, temporarily), and got a ton of practice in with it this morning - once you get used to it, it's actually really nice! Really need to figure out a permanent way of getting this thing mounted without having to fix and then re-calibrate it every time.

Lights fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 24, 2023

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

splösh

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Very nice. Congrats.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

A portrait:

Holiday card vibes:

A friendly gathering.

Yesterday was a fun day. There were probably 60 bald eagles at the lake.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I love robins and their little fat round bodies :3:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Haven't been out to get stills, but I've been setting my gopro up around my feeder and have been getting some close-in slow-mo shots of all of my little doofuses. Here's a supercut of some of the best clips so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnmZdYYE0_U

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

dupersaurus posted:

Haven't been out to get stills, but I've been setting my gopro up around my feeder and have been getting some close-in slow-mo shots of all of my little doofuses. Here's a supercut of some of the best clips so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnmZdYYE0_U

Love this. Slow-mo birbs flying is so cool.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I recently got a tilt shift adapter for M42 mount lenses and I took it down to the old kansas city industrial district to do some shooting and learn it's functions. There's always a wealth of birds down there hanging out on power lines and on the rooflines of dilapidated buildings from the 1800s.

I will try to focus more on birds when I'm down there next time. The outing was focused on building hunting, and not bird shots. But I do have these.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Some stuff from recent outings.

Burrowing Owl not to happy I spotted him in the rocks.

Cooper's Hawk

Northern Harrier:

Killdeer:

Black Phoebe:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Really nice stuff!, Owls are so expressive!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
This absolute unit has been doing his part in helping us with our vole problem. For scale, he's sitting on a cube of seed/feed that is 10" x 10" x 10".

I went to close the chickens in for the night, and as I was bending over to go under the run roof, he flew up in my face (he was only about 3-4' away when he spooked) and flew into neighboring trees. I went in and got the camera, slapped my slowest lens on (the 70-300 f/4 - 5.6) and juggled a flashlight in the left hand, my longest, least wieldy lens in the other and shot at 1/9. I'm surprised this isn't just a shot of me falling to my death over the rail of my deck. He could not care less I was lighting him up. I have a lovely Blink video of him just swiveling that head to hunt while sitting on that block which attracts night time mice and voles.

Superstar by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 1, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I love how owls permanently look so pissed off.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
I love tiny owls. That one looks like a Saw-Whet Owl.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jerm324 posted:

I love tiny owls. That one looks like a Saw-Whet Owl.

I think Northern Pygmy, mostly because of the daylight photos I have of him. The Saw-Whet is paler, and doesn't have the false eyes on the back.

Disapproving Owl Disapproves by B. B., on Flickr

Even the Back of His Head is Menacinig by B. B., on Flickr

Ok, I'm thinking not the same owl, which frankly is loving cool. I assumed since they were literally in the same tree, hunting in the same spot but months apart, and given the size. But, that face is very different.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 2, 2023

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

torgeaux posted:

I think Northern Pygmy, mostly because of the daylight photos I have of him. The Saw-Whet is paler, and doesn't have the false eyes on the back.

Disapproving Owl Disapproves by B. B., on Flickr

Even the Back of His Head is Menacinig by B. B., on Flickr

Ok, I'm thinking not the same owl, which frankly is loving cool. I assumed since they were literally in the same tree, hunting in the same spot but months apart, and given the size. But, that face is very different.

Yeah that one is a Northern Pygmy for sure. Different beak color and no facial disk like the Saw-Whet. Very Cool!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
^^ Agree with those id's

I wish this dummy had turned around and put it's head in the sun.
Wildcat Owl golden hour-5419 on Flickr

Thread title appropriate
Wildcat Owl poopin-5434 on Flickr

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

god photo editing is hard

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Imposter Syndrome

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The two types of rainbow birds from here, the Eastern Rosella and the Rainbow Lorikeet.

The Rosella in the bush was the largest one I've ever seen.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Snowy Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Snowy Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The other weekend I rented some long lenses to try out, and what else was I going to use them on??? My hand-shooting is pretty garbage, but I ran out and got an actually-good tripod and :discourse: I did this planning to get me a good long lens, but instead I came out thinking it might be time to upgrade the camera... thinking D500 or maybe even jumping to mirrorless with an EOS R7.

Pine Warbler (full-stop one of the best pictures I've ever taken)

Blue Jay

Eastern Bluebirds

Mourning Dove

Purple Finches

Great Blue Heron

Great Northern Assholes

Carolina Wren

Brown-Headed Nuthatch

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Your situation is exactly like mine haha.
Started off with a D5600, grabbed a G1 Tamron 150-600 then quickly decided to jump in and grab a used D500.

Part of me right now wishes I made the leap to Mirrorless, but the cost is/was absurd to jump in. What a silly hobby we find ourselves in. Your hand-shooting will get better with time with the long lenses, muscle adapts quickly.

That said, I shot 3900 photos at a concert last week with my D500 and it only used 75% of the battery... It's a great platform and the 12 fps shooting is fantastic for Bird action shots. (and low light performance is grrrreat too)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Slotducks posted:

Your situation is exactly like mine haha.
Started off with a D5600, grabbed a G1 Tamron 150-600 then quickly decided to jump in and grab a used D500.

Part of me right now wishes I made the leap to Mirrorless, but the cost is/was absurd to jump in. What a silly hobby we find ourselves in. Your hand-shooting will get better with time with the long lenses, muscle adapts quickly.

That said, I shot 3900 photos at a concert last week with my D500 and it only used 75% of the battery... It's a great platform and the 12 fps shooting is fantastic for Bird action shots. (and low light performance is grrrreat too)

Haha up I've got a D5500. How's the D500 for just walking around and shooting? Vacation and hiking-type activities are my main use and I'm a little concerned about how big it is.

Price isn't much of a mirrorless hurdle any more (other than I'd have to get a Canon lens). A used D500 splits the cost of the R7 and R10. On paper their specs are just as good if not better than the D500, although reading around the D500 autofocus might still have a slight performance advantage.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Haha up I've got a D5500. How's the D500 for just walking around and shooting? Vacation and hiking-type activities are my main use and I'm a little concerned about how big it is.

It's big, bulky, and heavy haha, with the grip & the Tamron I'm upwards of 9lbs or whatever. Peak Design Slide strap helps a lot with that.

Walking around and shooting? It's not innocuous at all, we have a XT-200 and I use that for more casual stuff, Landscape, street, hanging out with friends - definitely more sleek and not as HEY-IM-TAKING-A-PHOTO-HERE like the huge D500 has.

Bird tax:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Lovely warbler shot!

Good to see some long lenses getting tried out!

Oystercatchers by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Stuck inside yesterday on a rainy day. Playing around with some old film lens gear on the a7r.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Oh, those are delightful.

This isn’t a great picture, but it’s the first day of spring and in Minnesota that’s a beautiful thing. :unsmith:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Brrrmph posted:

Oh, those are delightful.

This isn’t a great picture, but it’s the first day of spring and in Minnesota that’s a beautiful thing. :unsmith:

Hello Minnesota friend. If you're in the metro area, the best birds are at Murphy-Hanrehan around this time. I'm going to be heading there next weekend to see what I can see.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Oh that’s good to know. I haven’t been there before. Is it good year round or is there something special about the spring?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

It's just a popular destination for herons, blackbirds, swans, etc. when they migrate north around this time. They have an osprey nest, as well, though I think it's inconsistently used. I first got interested in birding after a very impressive hike there a few years ago.

immelman
Oct 6, 2014
Hi thread!
I've got into wildlife photography over the past year and here are two Kookaburras eyeing me and my lunch on a walk a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Had some luck with a sunny winter day a while ago and got a shot of one of the local jays, all fluffed up for the cold. I love these guys so much.

Nötskrika on Flickr

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 25, 2023