Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can always just have a more forgiving mode for the bonsai players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Eric the Mauve posted:

That... has absolutely nothing to do with why the SimCity series perished.

SimCity's death hopefully scared Cities into making a better game. Unfortunately, there really aren't any good city builders so I'm a bit concerned Cities 2 will just be Cities 1 but you have to buy it again. I will, obviously.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Let me build underwater dome cities or space dome cities or a city in like Homer's land of chocolate. Go crazy with the city building imo

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, when it comes to visuals and personality, SC2013 wins everytime for me.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

MikeJF posted:

You can always just have a more forgiving mode for the bonsai players.

Just give us a sandbox mode with infinite money and everything unlocked.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Macaluso posted:

Let me build underwater dome cities or space dome cities or a city in like Homer's land of chocolate. Go crazy with the city building imo

I do wish they had more interesting things, but I know it takes a ton of assets/dev time to do it. Each one should have a fun new mechanic/resource to manage and/or some weird things to deal with, like the Space Station doesn't allow immigration and pollution requires a special building to manage as it won't dissipate on its own. Mars allows immigration, but also has you try to contribute "Terraforming Units" or something. poo poo like that.

I mean, poo poo, they added the snow maps and added the heat pipes.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Just split wealth and density. Please.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Aw man I’m excited to see what they’ll do with this. I wonder if they’ll pick some of the better mods out there and just include it as a feature (looking at you, Find it!).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DoubleNegative posted:

To be honest, I want SimCity starts, where you place houses and streets down and people arrive spontaneously. Having to have a highway connection in the starting square is a tad limiting.

My number one wishlist item is starting maps where you can build from like a rural 2-lane highway instead of there already being giant 6 lane separated freeways running through the wilderness.

Figuring out the initial highway connections is my least favourite part of starting a new city.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
unity confirmed

https://twitter.com/colossalorder/status/1633060715132080130

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

mutata posted:

Yeah, when it comes to visuals and personality, SC2013 wins everytime for me.

Yeah it is incredibly pretty and the aesthetic is great.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Entropic posted:

My number one wishlist item is starting maps where you can build from like a rural 2-lane highway instead of there already being giant 6 lane separated freeways running through the wilderness.

Figuring out the initial highway connections is my least favourite part of starting a new city.

I always start maps from smaller 2 lane highways. The map editor makes any style of start valid, even no road port starts.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Entropic posted:

Gods yes! It was terrible in simcity2013 and it's terrible in skylines.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

it is though, not enough ability to actually build a city at the size and detail to make it interesting and instead focused on gameplay mechanics that no one actually cared about.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Its really to bad EA poo poo the bed so hard with simcity. Id love to see a simcity4 remaster - but also fear such a thing because EA would gently caress it up somehow.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don't see what SC4 does better than Cities Skylines. It was fun and all, but I think rose tinted glasses are often used when looking at SC4.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

I don't see what SC4 does better than Cities Skylines. It was fun and all, but I think rose tinted glasses are often used when looking at SC4.

Dude...

SC4 does quite a few things better than C:S, at least for me:

1. Separate density/wealth. You can have some slummed out high-rise districts, and meth towns, and ultra-luxe urban cores or rural oasises, all that derive organically from your policies and support infrastructure.

And, this is critical: the art/props system supported this. A base building could grow pretty and attractive or deteriorate into gray crap due to the props system SC4 had.

I can’t express how much this did for immersion and still does, even today, when I boot it up. Yes, SC:4 fails at the ground level immersion that C:S does very well, but if you’re just overviewing a city, I feel like, while both can give you a sense of “this is a distinct neighborhood, here’s a different one across this main road…” only SC4 gives me the vibe of “I would definitely get mugged in this neighborhood” solely conveyed via the great art system that game provides.

2. Sense of scale at region: yeah, you can’t play the entire region at once in SC:4 but looking at the region view in SC:4 feels way more true to life than even the most developed C:S region I’ve seen. Even with 81 tiles unlocked or whatnot, the biggest C:S cities I’ve seen pale compared to the biggest I’ve seen in SC:4.

3. Scale at the small level: roads/trains/cars etc. are just too damned big in C:S compared to buildings. Felt off from day one and has never gone away for me. SC4 feels more… right-sized.

C:S murders SC4 at traffic simming of course, but for overall “vibe” of “this city feels real/alive” it never rose to SC4’s level. IMO, of course.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, I agree with all of that. CS has felt drab, bland, and clunky since the beginning. A lot of that is art, but it's also in how the art systems are used and communicates. Totally agree about the scale. The lighting feels super default. Building designs are mostly samey. Textures are simple and dated and drab. Vegetation is whatever. Terrain has no character.

Im surprised to see people speak well of "the simulation" in CS, and they must be mostly referring specifically to the traffic sim which I don't find compelling myself, but it's kind of the only truly fleshed out system in CS. The rest of it feels very very simplistic. SC4 was too, I suppose, but it didn't really let the mask slip as much, so it was easier for my imagination to just fill in the gaps.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mutata posted:

Yeah, I agree with all of that. CS has felt drab, bland, and clunky since the beginning. A lot of that is art, but it's also in how the art systems are used and communicates. Totally agree about the scale. The lighting feels super default. Building designs are mostly samey. Textures are simple and dated and drab. Vegetation is whatever. Terrain has no character.

Im surprised to see people speak well of "the simulation" in CS, and they must be mostly referring specifically to the traffic sim which I don't find compelling myself, but it's kind of the only truly fleshed out system in CS. The rest of it feels very very simplistic. SC4 was too, I suppose, but it didn't really let the mask slip as much, so it was easier for my imagination to just fill in the gaps.

Did you guys just play vanilla CS? None of this is true if you go into mods, which honestly is 80% of the attraction of CS for me at least, and I hope CS2 incorporates a lot of the most common mods as standard with all of the modders they hired over the past few years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah and thanks to Paradox's totally-not-a-subscription business model, there's a new DLC/major patch every 3 months breaking all the mods for a game that relies entirely on mods to be interesting or fun.

SC4 is also an unplayable hot mess without a bunch of modding, but at least it's done changing. For all C:S's flaws I was still playing it, but I finally gave up on it because I was spending too much drat time chasing and updating mods.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I bet it's going to be basically the same game we have now with minor changes. Maybe it'll look a little better but you won't get deeper gameplay or anything. Probably won't have the wealth system of simcity.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Did you guys just play vanilla CS? None of this is true if you go into mods, which honestly is 80% of the attraction of CS for me at least, and I hope CS2 incorporates a lot of the most common mods as standard with all of the modders they hired over the past few years.

What I'm saying is that I don't find the core art direction and simulation of Cities Skylines compelling very much at all. I don't really have a ton of time to faff around with mods these days, and even more so when they completely break every few months.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I've got all the DLC and mods out the rear end and I still stand by everything I said about it.

I enjoy C:S, but there are a lot of areas when I play it where my dominant thought is "I wish they did this more like SC4 did".

The BIG thing they have over SC4 is the non-aligned grid/node placement for zones/roads (though they half-assed, IMO, the zoning part of that).

I _hate_ faffing with mods. Yes, SC4 needed them, too, but at least that eventually got to the level of "just download this one big modpack and NAM, run two installers, and you're good to go" instead of the nightmare that is still C:S modding.

Basically, they need to greatly tweak the scale of things and hopefully have a different art director. Find whoever was in charge of SC2013's art and hire them immediately, that was the one area where that game excelled (which just further fueled the disappointment in... everything else that game did).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just want C:S2 to have a sandbox no requirements / changes mode, so I can make cities however I want and take cool screenshots of them without simulation systems running in the background getting in the way. SimCity 4 had that stuff with mods too (like C:S1 has) and it was fun. I haven't played Simcity 4 in years and years, but I wonder how it would hold up today.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I hope they make the intersections less ugly and clunky.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Sim City 4's prop system is what I miss most. I like how real everything felt, even if all the styles were American. Even with the deciduous trees cycling through seasons made it feel like a place.

I don't have any particular wishes for CS:2 (yet) other than the general ones. Separating wealth and density will be so big if it happens.

Maybe add some crazy jazz sax music.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want a cyberpunk building set for C:S

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Problem with city builders is also money, you are given infinite money and citizens have also infinite money. In reality cities are broke as gently caress and so are people, so there are limits on how much fancy poo poo and services you can have. While in games you can just handwave it all away and max everything without a thought. There is no challenge offered.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Problem with city builders is also money, you are given infinite money and citizens have also infinite money. In reality cities are broke as gently caress and so are people, so there are limits on how much fancy poo poo and services you can have. While in games you can just handwave it all away and max everything without a thought. There is no challenge offered.

This is true. city sims are to me more about fantasy scenarios, they let the player pretend to be the mayor that can do a better job then the dipshit loser running things in their real life city (I live in Seattle so this is an ultra low bar). I like it better and have more fun when I am able to just throw out all of the simulation stuff, and make my dream beautiful city utopia.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I hate dealing with mods i play these kinds of games so sporadically that if I invested heavily into mods id never get the chance to actually play the game.

Ill research and maybe get one or two mods to solve major game issues like mechjeb for ksp or spawn-range resource packs for minecraft. Beyond that id rather just play the game as it is.

Im sure there are plenty more folk just like me, so sc2 adding in awesome mods in the base game will be great even if it doesnt compare to whats out there for sc1

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I still think SC4 looks better than C:S.

I have all vanilla assets disabled in my game which helps quite a bit but SC4's graphics are just superb. C:S feels so sterile.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ihmemies posted:

It also creates a system where a good city means there are no poor, uneducated people which is a little insane. You don't necessarily elevate poor, uneducated people either, you just kinda.... end up with only rich, educated people.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

jokes posted:

It also creates a system where a good city means there are no poor, uneducated people which is a little insane. You don't necessarily elevate poor, uneducated people either, you just kinda.... end up with only rich, educated people.

Ive just gone ahead and designed trailer parks and slums into my cities.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Let me make Midgar

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Ohhhhhh I remembered what I want to see. Better building with elevation changes. It looks so bad to build on even modest hills in CS:1. Staircases with pedestrian stuff? Proper accessible switchbacks? Huge skyscrapers built into mountainsides? Would be cool.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I just want to build natural looking transitions from city to country without needing to hand place every field and forest.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

smr posted:

Basically, they need to greatly tweak the scale of things and hopefully have a different art director. Find whoever was in charge of SC2013's art and hire them immediately,

Hell yeah, bring back Ocean Quigley.

Edit: Although he's apparently at Meta doing VR stuff now. Shame.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

jokes posted:

Clearly there's some heavy duty gentrification going on

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

I have all vanilla assets disabled in my game which helps quite a bit but SC4's graphics are just superb. C:S feels so sterile.

Hard agree. The first time I saw like TP in a tree around Halloween in-game time in SC4 I was like "this game loving gets it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, for me, C:S with custom assets was still uglier than unmodded SC4+RH. I feel like you have to go really out of your way with mods and city planning in order to make C:S have character, and then it becomes the bonsai game I never really wanted to play in the first place because I dont have an eye for creativity.

I guess, gameplay wise for me, I would like if C:S2’s “late game” wasnt so easily reached like C:S1. I really liked how SC4 required me to make multiple small towns and link them together and then get a whole lot of population in order to finally see a skyscraper. And also working towards replacing dirty industry with high tech industrial parks with green grass was really neat too.

When do we learn more out this game? The 20th, along side their Not-Sims presentation?