Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isentropy posted:

Well FF I used to work for a certain company in Hali that made a dual use plane and saw Canadian procurement first hand. Let's replace a plane with good loiter time with something that's not that to track subs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK9gLkXe0xw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMYAEHE2GrM

e: Though FR it sucks and I can only imagine what that process was like. You must've had the bad luck of not being Bombardier or an American company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

its pretty obvious america has decided to lay the ground for a cold war from a decade and its pretty obvious ukraine was the the event they wanted to kick it off and the western whites are gonna 100% fall in line. Xi Jinping is 100% right america wants this cold war and is actively gunning for it.

It isn't going well right off the gate then.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Meeting people from a certain company that makes the P3/CP140 made me realize I dont wanna be in that industry no more

It's all uh profit driven

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Among the biggest articles of faith regarding Bakhmut for the past several days is that:

Russia stans adamant that Russia is killing way more Ukrainian forces than Russia is losing.
Ukraine stans adamant that the opposite is true.

I don't think anyone really knows, possibly including the actual battlefield commanders.

also everybody is just using human waves

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ardennes posted:

It isn't going well right off the gate then.

its going great for america they completely enslaved europe and taken it off the table as an independent politicl or economic power and britain cant even have loving tomatoes.

Ukraine i would say is so far 70% an american success but that could change if russia manages any moves beyond bakhmut.

Taiwan will be fortified massively and japan will be brought back to scourge the east.

i dunno its going OK for america so far.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
What industry are you in now that isn't profit driven?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

It's funny because I'm giving a lecture on this today, but people now always ask about why it was considered a milestone for minority populations to be granted military service. Why "fight to fight" for a racist, colonist, imperialist and unjust etc. etc. society that denied you your civil rights ? Why did Native Canadians, Japanese Canadians, Black Canadians demand they be enlisted in the World Wars and participate at such a high rate? Why too has the state been weary of memorializing their participation until the 1990's?

The decision to enlist any group on the margins of society is first and foremost a social and political question. To arm them had far-reaching implications for the stability of state institutions—resting on the actual political equality of all its citizens. In modern nation-states, enlisting minority populations required either the admission of minority soldiers as equal citizens in the state or the abandonment of the principle of the equality of citizens admitted to membership in the body politic. In a republic or constitutional monarchy it would be impossible, to extract military service—the highest duty of the citizen— without extending the rights and privileges that were usually exchanged for it. The nexus of manhood, military service, and citizenship was so tight in the nineteenth and twentieth century, that every leader placed in this predicament balked at violating it.

Engaging in military service tapped into the link between race, masculinity, and citizenship. This is sort of hard to understand conceptually, but when Maori, Japanese Canadians, Irish Catholics, were admitted to the ranks as soldiers, they became citizens, and so "white men". Which is to say that a definition of citizenship, and so military service, that had previously only extended to white men had to be expanded to adjust to the new reality. It's why militaries are often the first and most important institutions to desegregate.

So rather than, you know, being rubes who fought for racist governments, which seems to be the prevailing view from a contemporary standpoint, they were conscious political actors who saw military service as an effective tool to enter the body politic -and universally, they were correct. Which, parenthetically, makes concern trolling about ethnic minorities participating in the military of the Russian Federation pretty funny. By doing so they are ensuring that they have a greater voice in the state, so if they were marginal before, their service - particularly if it is at a higher rate - guarantees that the "new" Russia they are fighting for, because as I said all wars are revolutionary in a sense, will have to recognize a greater role for them.

Isn't this contradicted by the actions of the British empire and it's ongoing poor treatment of the African and Indian troops? As far as Maori go, there were Maori MPs before Maori could enlist.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isentropy posted:

Meeting people from a certain company that makes the P3/CP140 made me realize I dont wanna be in that industry no more

It's all uh profit driven

Orange Devil posted:

In 2023, however,...

For serious though, in neoliberalism the military is conceived as just another job, and soldiers as human resources.

These two things are why war, real war, is not really something a Neoliberal state is capable of, or rather, the state (read: ruling class) would have to choose between winning the war and preserving neoliberalism. War requires mass participation in politics and institutions as well as a strong state, neoliberalism exists to negate those two things. It's a contradiction that can't be reconciled.

Weka posted:

Isn't this contradicted by the actions of the British empire and it's ongoing poor treatment of the African and Indian troops? As far as Maori go, there were Maori MPs before Maori could enlist.

It's why Britain lost her Empire. In recruiting millions of Indian soldiers, the British made them political actors. In failing to fulfil their demands, Britain lost India. Remember that the end of the Raj was cemented with the Royal Indian Navy mutiny. There were Maori MPs though an earlier series of events that were part of the same process. There were not enough white colonists to win the Musket Wars, and so loyal Maori tribes were recruited, providing much of the bayonet strength for the later campaigns. Their loyalty had to be rewarded with political participation. You can read this as similar to Rome rewarding loyal cities, citizenship was still selective. Mass Maori participation in the Great War Brought mass participation in politics in the aftermath, "citizenship" was extended from only loyal elites to all Maori.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:24 on Mar 7, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zvahl posted:

Molk'te el'Dar!

En Taro Zelensky

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

its going great for america they completely enslaved europe and taken it off the table as an independent politicl or economic power and britain cant even have loving tomatoes.

Ukraine i would say is so far 70% an american success but that could change if russia manages any moves beyond bakhmut.

Taiwan will be fortified massively and japan will be brought back to scourge the east.

Europe was already on the US' side and the UK going down the drain isn't to the US' benefit. A lot of Taiwanese people actually don't want to confront China and Japan maybe is silently doing worse than even the UK. I don't think people realize how bad their demographics/financial issues actually are. Even in Europe there is actually quite a bit a grumbling.

The US expected the global south, including India to bow down to them, and instead they are all regularly trading with Russia, and America's "allies" are in either bruised shape or quickly loosing courage. Ukraine is actually fairly minor to what is going on.

Hell Saudi Arabia used to 100% a US client and now it is playing both sides just like Turkey.

Yeah, no

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pistol_Pete posted:

To vaguely link the above post back to the Ukraine war, it does engender a certain awkwardness in trying to explain why we've got billions to throw at Ukraine, when we're also being told that we can't even afford the basics of a civilised society here in the UK.

imagine how the americans feel

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1546846071078486016?s=20

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Hell Saudi Arabia used to 100% a US client and now it is playing both sides just like Turkey.

Yeah, no

yeah im gonna be honest i genuinely thought americas grip on saudi would be alot tighter than it ended up being. i think theyre laying easy on MBS because they fully expect him to kiss israels rear end once he becomes king and nothing else matters beyond that.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah im gonna be honest i genuinely thought americas grip on saudi would be alot tighter than it ended up being. i think theyre laying easy on MBS because they fully expect him to kiss israels rear end once he becomes king and nothing else matters beyond that.

Maybe the balance of power has shifted and they know they need him now, and he can play all the OPEC games he wants because Israel is screwed if he turns. The problem is of course that OPEC is keeping oil prices relatively high which is assisting Russia/Iran and playing havoc for the West, so it is actually quite a price. That said, there is a reason prices kind of just bump around in the $80s (Brent).

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

mlmp08 posted:

Among the biggest articles of faith regarding Bakhmut for the past several days is that:

Russia stans adamant that Russia is killing way more Ukrainian forces than Russia is losing.
Ukraine stans adamant that the opposite is true.

I don't think anyone really knows, possibly including the actual battlefield commanders.

One of the two sides is more concerned by public optics and image tough, and has a larger record of information obfuscation, fabrication and exaggeration.

Although I guess depending on which thread you ask, you'll get a different answer as to which side is that!

dk2m
May 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1633116518245384192?s=46&t=fhRohXIGwtz71r02K1yeMw

getting 8.5 years for 11 posts is wild, that’s some pretty impressive posting

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Has the KSA started selling oil in something other than dollars yet?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Al-Saqr posted:

nothing would make me laugh harder than the ukranians completely reversing the bakhmut situation due to putins stupidity and wierd insistence on always snatching defeat from the jaws of victory by not helping Wagner at this critical juncture.

looks like al-saqr got his groove back

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

dk2m posted:

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1633116518245384192?s=46&t=fhRohXIGwtz71r02K1yeMw

And people here complain about Ban+30.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

dk2m posted:

SBU -- hold my beer

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1625080035647361024

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Ah, good!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

euphronius posted:

is this bad

nah it's good that we will all be cleansed in nuclear fire

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

crepeface posted:

nah it's good that we will all be cleansed in nuclear fire

no i hate to break it to you but our end wont be that satisfying were gonna go through a couple hundred years of climate catastrophes and mass extinction of the flora and fauna. it wont be as mercifully fast as nuclear apocalypse will be.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

And people here complain about Ban+30.

look at least he didn't get perma'd ok?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

It's funny because I'm giving a lecture on this today, but people now always ask about why it was considered a milestone for minority populations to be granted military service. Why "fight to fight" for a racist, colonist, imperialist and unjust etc. etc. society that denied you your civil rights ? Why did Native Canadians, Japanese Canadians, Black Canadians demand they be enlisted in the World Wars and participate at such a high rate? Why too has the state been weary of memorializing their participation until the 1990's?

The decision to enlist any group on the margins of society is first and foremost a social and political question. To arm them had far-reaching implications for the stability of state institutions—resting on the actual political equality of all its citizens. In modern nation-states, enlisting minority populations required either the admission of minority soldiers as equal citizens in the state or the abandonment of the principle of the equality of citizens admitted to membership in the body politic. In a republic or constitutional monarchy it would be impossible, to extract military service—the highest duty of the citizen— without extending the rights and privileges that were usually exchanged for it. The nexus of manhood, military service, and citizenship was so tight in the nineteenth and twentieth century, that every leader placed in this predicament balked at violating it.

Engaging in military service tapped into the link between race, masculinity, and citizenship. This is sort of hard to understand conceptually, but when Maori, Japanese Canadians, Irish Catholics, were admitted to the ranks as soldiers, they became citizens, and so "white men". Which is to say that a definition of citizenship, and so military service, that had previously only extended to white men had to be expanded to adjust to the new reality. It's why militaries are often the first and most important institutions to desegregate.

So rather than, you know, being rubes who fought for racist governments, which seems to be the prevailing view from a contemporary standpoint, they were conscious political actors who saw military service as an effective tool to enter the body politic -and universally, they were correct. Which, parenthetically, makes concern trolling about ethnic minorities participating in the military of the Russian Federation pretty funny. By doing so they are ensuring that they have a greater voice in the state, so if they were marginal before, their service - particularly if it is at a higher rate - guarantees that the "new" Russia they are fighting for, because as I said all wars are revolutionary in a sense, will have to recognize a greater role for them.

something something the late BEIC/Raj basically upending it's entire military recruiting base during the course of the 1857 mutiny and then being forced to do that again in 1940 - in the second case because the Raj was competing with a bunch of increasingly left leaning libs they couldn't handle the strain on their society.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

These two things are why war, real war, is not really something a Neoliberal state is capable of, or rather, the state (read: ruling class) would have to choose between winning the war and preserving neoliberalism. War requires mass participation in politics and institutions as well as a strong state, neoliberalism exists to negate those two things. It's a contradiction that can't be reconciled.

It's why Britain lost her Empire. In recruiting millions of Indian soldiers, the British made them political actors. In failing to fulfil their demands, Britain lost India. Remember that the end of the Raj was cemented with the Royal Indian Navy mutiny. There were Maori MPs though an earlier series of events that were part of the same process. There were not enough white colonists to win the Musket Wars, and so loyal Maori tribes were recruited, providing much of the bayonet strength for the later campaigns. Their loyalty had to be rewarded with political participation. You can read this as similar to Rome rewarding loyal cities, citizenship was still selective. Mass Maori participation in the Great War Brought mass participation in politics in the aftermath, "citizenship" was extended from only loyal elites to all Maori.

In the case of the RIN mutiny; the ringleaders were explicitly members of the Communist Party of India and had managed to create an organized network of class solidarity among petty officers and naval servicemen. Their demands for political emancipation were also far more radical than just a change of the flag; explicitly calling for british and american withdrawal from places in Indochina and Indonesia at the same time indian troops were trying to do police actions and restore colonial rule in those places after the war was over.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Has the KSA started selling oil in something other than dollars yet?

Xi said that there should be a path forward to pay in yuan but afaik, it’s symbolic. maybe there’s some bilateral payments going back and forth in yuan but the saudis have gone all in on the dollar to the point where they will collapse their own economy if they don’t maintain their us foreign reserves at appropriate levels.

the Dirham is actually more represented as india is settling payments in that to avoid secondary sanctions

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Al-Saqr posted:

no i hate to break it to you but our end wont be that satisfying were gonna go through a couple hundred years of climate catastrophes and mass extinction of the flora and fauna. it wont be as mercifully fast as nuclear apocalypse will be.

there's gotta be at least one sicko true believer evangelical with their finger on the button

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

kronix posted:

The US did in 30 days what Russia couldn't do in a year and still failed to maintain control of Iraq which the entire point of my post from GBS.

And yeah I worked in communications security for a contractor for 4 years to feed myself and pay my student loans when the economy crashed in 2008. If you have a problem with it, I don't really care in the slightest.

Phew, this was some crazy stuff

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

dont look up the guy who fantasized raping someone

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

he was so dumb too. he kept confusing a bunch of different people

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

In the case of the RIN mutiny; the ringleaders were explicitly members of the Communist Party of India and had managed to create an organized network of class solidarity among petty officers and naval servicemen. Their demands for political emancipation were also far more radical than just a change of the flag; explicitly calling for british and american withdrawal from places in Indochina and Indonesia at the same time indian troops were trying to do police actions and restore colonial rule in those places after the war was over.

leadership of indian independence falling to gandhian primitivists and congress instead of the communists is one of the biggest tragedies in indian history

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

you qualitatively do NOT get improvements after taking over a city in Civ 3. The later ones let you keep some of them, but it was a key point in earlier Civs that a newly-conquered city has nothing except its pops, its tile improvements, and its wonders.

The modern/endgame era combat of early Civ was obviously mostly patterned on the Gulf War - in Civ 2 you have 30-odd slots to cover all types of military units across human history, but you just gotta have both a Stealth Bomber and a Stealth Fighter in there (while there's just one type of "Armor" ever) - wonder if this war will have enough impact on the popcult war understanding to filter down to the Civ 7 devs...

Al-Saqr posted:

dont look up the guy who fantasized raping someone

Missed that, and probably better off for it...

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mandoric posted:

Ra-ra-ra-ra-rasputitsa!

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

We'd live in Paradise if Ambedkar won

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1633128532833599488?s=46&t=Lil8vLMPVkfPh80ODFeUGg

yeah, the US military

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

However Atomic Heart discussion is germane to this thread

I heard the game was pro-Soviet propaganda and would directly fund Tsar Putin, is this correct?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

i don't think Britain not having tomatos was actually a war goal for america

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1633136670488039424?s=20

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
wait they're angry that Russian money went into a Hollywood propaganda film about how awesome America is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

wait they're angry that Russian money went into a Hollywood propaganda film about how awesome America is?

i guess it didn't dehumanize the unnamed but presumptive russian bad guys enough