Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Slugworth posted:

This is my ultimate concern with Crimea. We can sit and say simplistic things like "they're colonists, they need to leave", but will they? If they don't, what's the plan? I don't love the idea of Ukraine invading a city, even if people here are willing to describe it as liberation. We know what happens when a city is taken by force. It's not right or fair for Crimea to not be returned to Ukraine, but sometimes you can't unfuck something. The time to act was a decade ago, before hundreds of thousands of Russian citizens were transplanted.

Even something like cutting Crimea off from Russia has certain implications, as far as making life untenable there for Russian transplants. Do you starve them out? That seems abhorrent. So, cut them off, but then supply them with the basic necessities? What then becomes the reason for them to leave?

Truly not hoping for Crimea to remain in Russian hands, and would be glad to be proven wrong.

Early in the war, around the negotiations, Ukraine offered a transitional period of 5 or so years for determining the status of Crimea, with proper international oversight. If things go Ukraine's way militarily (most of all the Kerch bridge and Sevastopol port getting into missile range and taking back the Azov sea coast), I expect that to be on the table again because, contrary to public bravado, Zelensky understands the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Victis posted:

There was zero shortage in potable water, so I'm not sure how the canal applies to any of your quoted Serious Concerns

They did have to move away from water-intensive crops like wine grapes

Yeah. If I remember correctly we goons had some heavy discussion about morality of cutting Water and Power to occupied Crimea.
Ukraine also stopped paying of pensions for people deciding to stay within occupied territories.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ukraine cut off a source of agricultural water, not drinking water. Ukraine has no moral obligation to support the economy of its enemy

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

I'm a Native American (muscogee creek tribe ayyy)

Stonko!

Patriots in Ukraine??
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1633084485892751363?s=19

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Turtle Watch posted:

I agree that the ethnic Russians there are descendants of colonial projects and an ongoing campaign of Russification and that the ones that moved there after 2014 have even less of a claim there than others. But here is where I start to disagree: The people they took Crimea from were Tatars, not Ukrainians,(e:here perhaps I am misinterpreting your use of Ukrainians as ‘ethnic Ukrainians’ and you may have meant ‘people who now would identify as Ukrainian nationals) that census shows a constant trend downward of Tatars and a constant increase of Ukrainian and Russians up until 1959 date. To then argue that we have to evict these descendants of people who took Tatar land and replace them with Ukrainians doesn’t make sense to me.

I have heard Ukrainians saying they regret the treatment the Tatars have had from Ukrainians. I do not doubt you when you say Crimean Tatars would prefer being a part of Ukraine to Russia. Many Crimean Tatars support Ukraine and proudly identify as Ukrainian citizens. I know some ethnic Russians also support Ukraine, although I don’t know amounts. I would prefer if all these groups could live in peace in Crimea after this war, and I have to imagine that eliminationist rhetoric only harms those chances.

Am I being simple? Am I worrying about a forced exodus won’t happen? Maybe I am. Maybe Crimean reintegration with Ukraine would be more straightforward than I am imagining, and any rhetoric is just that. But the one thing I don’t accept is that “the colonists have it coming to them who cares”.(I don’t believe anyone here is seriously saying this, but I feel maybe some curiosity wouldn’t go amiss)I care! What is the “it” coming to them? It sounds very ominous and even if they do “deserve” “it” shouldn’t we be curious what exactly the “it” we are agreeing to is?

1) I dont think the crimean tartars were forced out of their homes by Ukrainians - unless you have some valid information i dont have. I thought it was a gradual dilution of ethic identity via imigration and emigration - mostly done by soviet authorities via the various relocation actions they took(ethnic cleansing doesnt have to be by bullet).
2) That doesnt stop ethnic crimeans being ukrainian citizens - which should have some protections - ukraine should probably embrace this.
3) Crimea probably should have some kind of settlement that involves the return of ukrainian rule of law and ownership of property. I dont know how ukrainian law works, but im sure some agreement can be found that doesnt involve ethic cleansing or other sinister actions - there could have UN observers there to check as part of some peace deal. Any Russian there that doesnt like being a ukrainian citizen, i guess should probably move.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Russia specifically is not exactly friendly to the Crimean Tatars:

quote:

In March 2014, the annexation of Crimea by the Russian Federation unfolded, which was, in turn, declared illegal by the United Nations General Assembly (United Nations General Assembly Resolution 68/262) and which led to further deterioration of the rights of the Crimean Tatars. Even though the Russian Federation issued Decree No. 268 "On the Measures for the Rehabilitation of Armenian, Bulgarian, Greek, Crimean Tatar and German Peoples and the State Support of Their Revival and Development" on 21 April 2014,[96] in practice it has treated Crimean Tatars with far less care. The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights issued a warning against the Kremlin in 2016 because it "intimidated, harassed and jailed Crimean Tatar representatives, often on dubious charges",[43] while the representative body the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar People was banned.[97]

The UN reported that of the over 10,000 people left Crimea after the annexation in 2014, most were Crimean Tatars,[98] which caused a further decline of their fragile community. Crimean Tatars stated several reasons for their departure, among them insecurity, fear, and intimidation from the new Russian authorities.[99] In its 2015 report, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights warned that various human rights violations were recorded in Crimea, including the prevention of Crimean Tatars from marking the 71st anniversary of their deportation.[100]

So yeah. Ukraine was indifferent to the Tatars, but Russia is outright antagonistic to them

quote:

By 2004 the Crimean Tatars formed 12 per cent of the population of Crimea.[93] The return was fraught: with Russian nationalist protests in Crimea and clashes between locals and Crimean Tatars near Yalta, which needed army intervention. Local Soviet authorities were reluctant to help returnees with jobs or housing,[94] After the dissolution of the USSR, Crimea was part of Ukraine, but Kyiv gave limited support to Crimean Tatar settlers. Some 150,000 of the returnees were granted citizenship automatically under Ukraine's Citizenship Law of 1991, but 100,000 who returned after Ukraine declared independence faced several obstacles including a costly bureaucratic process.[95]

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Karma Comedian posted:

Patriots in Ukraine??

It's more likely than you think!

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1633093415624744965

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That... is an explanation for pointless terror attacks I had not considered.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Geebus… :chloe:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
what the hell

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It would be kinda sad if Russia had to rely on informants to figure out if a public object is a military installation or a mall. More likely they don't care or they use doctored language for plausible deniability.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
What the gently caress would make that informant think that any of that poo poo was a good idea?

In short:

Karate Bastard posted:

what the hell

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

It would be kinda sad if Russia had to rely on informants to figure out if a public object is a military installation or a mall. More likely they don't care or they use doctored language for plausible deniability.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was under direct orders to label civilian shopping centers as military post facto.

Terror bombings is a Russian military tradition.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if he was under direct orders to label civilian shopping centers as military post facto.

Yeah, that's what I meant

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Could be the person they arrested is a real poo poo head.

But still weird as hell to missile poo poo based on reports from one single source, so no I'm not handing Russia poo poo

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

funeral home DJ posted:

What the gently caress would make that informant think that any of that poo poo was a good idea?

What made any colonial power feel justified in exterminating/oppressing native inhabitants of territories they occupied or sought to occupy?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Terror bombings is a Russian military tradition.

Or one part of his “chain of command” telling him to do that, and the folks that do targeting not checking of giving a poo poo.

Or dude was just a huge piece of poo poo.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Good luck in prison.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

freeasinbeer posted:

Or one part of his “chain of command” telling him to do that, and the folks that do targeting not checking of giving a poo poo.

Or dude was just a huge piece of poo poo.

This the same military that actively sought out and targeted hospitals and civilians in Syria. Its a feature of the system, not a bug.

When you've openly stated your goal is ethnic cleansing and genocide, any doubt goes out the window that this guy is just a fluke in the system, as if the theater bombing needed any more proof of that.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1632978756250882050

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1632978763632738305

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1632978766614986752

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1632978774387032066

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Come on people, stop with the tinfoil. Russia has stated numerous times that it doesn't bomb civilian structures. Case closed

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

That guy must've worked at a food court or Ukrainian Hot Topic for far too long and it broke him.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1633027452891979776
It's never you assholes' fault, is it? The sheer gall of claiming it was a Russian POW shot by Ukrainians is infuriating enough as it is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That is man who is probably going to experience an astoundingly unlucky, and violent, trip down a flight of stairs that bears all the hallmarks of getting the poo poo kicked out of him by multiple assailants at some point between now and getting sent to prison.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I think he'll be ok.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Dandywalken posted:

I think he'll be ok.

I dunno about that, his face has already been... pixelated

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

These spies are such poo poo lol

Like any time they suspect someone they just have to walk in the front room and see if they have a gigantic Russian flag and Putin bust

Yeah the execution of the prisoner was actually done by poles. They demanded he yell "praise be to the Polish Annexation of Ukraine" and they shot him down when he yelled Slava Ukraine

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe
In Ukranian corruption news:
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1632886655408394241

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
"We didn't mean to but there was this one guy, Dave, who.." is a pro defence strategy at the Hague

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

Early in the war, around the negotiations, Ukraine offered a transitional period of 5 or so years for determining the status of Crimea, with proper international oversight. If things go Ukraine's way militarily (most of all the Kerch bridge and Sevastopol port getting into missile range and taking back the Azov sea coast), I expect that to be on the table again because, contrary to public bravado, Zelensky understands the problem.

yeah and also you want to avoid things like the brno death march or the waves of retribution that followed the end of ww2.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Better not take a bribe, or Semen will be all over you.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Mf name is semen

zone
Dec 6, 2016

NoiseAnnoys posted:

yeah and also you want to avoid things like the brno death march or the waves of retribution that followed the end of ww2.

It would absolutely be in everyone's interest to prevent such things from happening. I believe Ukraine understands such situations and will ask for assistance in determining how to approach the situation, while permitting neutral observers and assistance to help with the process.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
His brothers name is splooge

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
His sisters name is Actually Female Ejaculate Is Urine

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Well OBVIOUSLY you don't want someone that doesn't know corruption to go after corruption. It takes a thief to catch a thief, as the saying goes!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

stonko! Cukoce estvmin likv?

this guy is going to get erased so hard it's gonna look like that photo of Stalin with the guys he had liquidated and edited out of the shot

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1633136675567153153

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Brits would kill for a squirrel

Even before the war