Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
and here I thought the irish didn't care what fraction of blood americans had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

and here I thought the irish didn't care what fraction of blood americans had

I would rather Americans had zero blood. Give me all your blood

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Famous wrestler Sheamus took all the Irish people's collective whiteness, sorry. Hencefort, all Irish are black.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Please no, I can't take any more "Irish vs black people" discourse, it's always terrible.

E: vvvvv no!

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 7, 2023

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Famous wrestler Sheamus took all the Irish people's collective whiteness, sorry. Hencefort, all Irish are black.

The Irish are the only children of Yakub that have found a way back to the black nation without becoming gorillas.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

I would rather Americans had zero blood. Give me all your blood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bram_Stoker

quote:

Abraham Stoker (8 November 1847 – 20 April 1912) was an Irish author

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Bram is a cool nickname for Abraham

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Fun fact, Stoker apparently got the idea for staking Dracula through the heart from a graveyard near my house in Dublin, where people who commit suicide were buried with stakes through their heart. Possibly a bit apocryphal. Definitely also influenced by his mother telling him bedtime stories about cholera victims being buried alive.

Oh wait, none of that is fun.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The staking thing wasn't so much about killing a vampire as preventing your recently deceased loved one from becoming one. They'd sometimes decapitate the body before burial for the same reason.

And when you think about it, you don't really see a lot of vampires in film get staked while they're up and running around(outside of action stuff like Blade), typically they're found while sleeping in their coffin and staked there, which is similar to how it would've been done in real life when a person died and they got staked before the burial as a preventative measure.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

the turtles should be played by Italians, this is erasure

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hmm I wonder why a black person would have an Irish name

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shageletic posted:

Hmm I wonder why a black person would have an Irish name

Literally read the previous page

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Martman posted:

Eraser is played by an Austrian. This is Eraser:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Literally read the previous page

:simpsonsjoke:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Shageletic posted:

Too late, it's a Q and A.

I used to go to TIFF every summer and the weirdest motherfuckers run to grab the mic after a premiere is done. I remember seeing this weird fat old guy just rushing between the two lines on either side of the theater just to repeat his awkward as hell questions and rants

Glad I don't go to these things anymore

I was at TIFF for the premier of Haemoo and someone grabbed the mic afterwards and asked Shim Sung-bo why he'd gone back to making movies in Korean after Snowpiercer.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feeling the faint douche chills emanate through space and time

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
This will never be rectified until Disney finally releases Irish Panther, the first ever white superhero movie.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Black and Tan Panther.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Black Irish Panther: Puss In Boots

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This will never be rectified until Disney finally releases Irish Panther, the first ever white superhero movie.

Shamrock (comics) - Wikipedia posted:

Molly Fitzgerald was born in Dunshaughlin, Ireland, and was the daughter of a militant member of the IRA.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Martman posted:

And suddenly remembered the Lego Movie joke of Michelangelo and Michaelangelo.

Mikey is apparently the arty one now incidentally, I bet they'd get along.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

marshmallow creep posted:

Black and Tan Panther.

:holymoley:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

April being consistently white is something that comes from media adaptations of the property. In the original comic, April was originally envisioned as being Asian, and named after Kevin Eastman's mixed-race girlfriend April Fisher. Eastman also apparently has a habit of drawing his current spouse into his comics, so for a while in the comics O'Neil started resembling Fisher a lot more:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

No one would see these weird racist Ninja Turtle tweets if thousands of people weren't sharing them to dunk on them

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

No one would see these weird racist Ninja Turtle tweets if thousands of people weren't sharing them to dunk on them

Hi, welcome to social media!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Brexit pissed off John Le Carre so much that he applied to be Irish right before he died of old age.

Suck it, Tories! The father of stale of Stale Beer Spy Fiction is ours!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have so, so many questions

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1633173155278618627?s=20

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Haha, got the COVID misinformation warning, even on the embed of this tweet

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Star Wars news, Patty Jenkins and Kevin Feige's respective Star Wars movies have been canned. Taika Waititi's is still on.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This quote is so funny to me lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I desperately need Taika to stay behind the camera for a while. We’re well into Taika fatigue after Love & Thunder.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So like… does it also make everyone gay?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I desperately need Taika to stay behind the camera for a while. We’re well into Taika fatigue after Love & Thunder.

yeah but that's the grift. five seconds of screentime and two words of dialogue gets him more pay than the entirety of his director's salary

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I liked his bit in History of the World part 2

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

In Star Wars news, Patty Jenkins and Kevin Feige's respective Star Wars movies have been canned. Taika Waititi's is still on.

I’ll believe Taika’s is still happening if it actually airs. I know as of last year he said that his movie didn’t even have a story yet, just the logo they came up with when it was announced. That means his movie is at least three or four years to actually coming out, which is plenty of time for it to get canned given the post-Disney Lucasfilm track record.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

did the patty jenkins movie get cancelled because of WW84's performance? I remember they did this whole thing about how she wanted to do a jetfighter show so hard they even filmed her doing a sequence

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if there's anything people love more than ever about Marvel movies it's Marvel dialogue

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

People seem to think that Star Wars Celebration Europe 2023 on April 7-10 will announce a new movie due to the wording of a sentence but I don't know. But then this movie news dropped so maybe?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

did the patty jenkins movie get cancelled because of WW84's performance? I remember they did this whole thing about how she wanted to do a jetfighter show so hard they even filmed her doing a sequence

Probably not directly since it took two years for them to drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Disney in general is falling into this trap where they feel obligated to announce poo poo well in advance to keep the hype going. Their follow-throughs become poorer and poorer but hey, at least you announced 15 new Star Wars properties and named three new superhero teams for Phase 7.