Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you want to break into money then yeah fishing is by far the best route.

Leveling to 11 purely off bees for wind crystals will get you the money to pick up a Carbon rod + the insect balls which lets you start making a good 20k per hour from a decent hole. Then from there you can either continue fishing or turn around and buy a full gathering clothing set and go logging/mining, selling the higher level resources and using the low level stuff for crafting which will push you up into the 40k per hour pretty quickly. Logging will get you going faster than mining but leveling smithing/goldcrafting is generally better profits. - Do not do any gathering without the gathering set as tool breakage is a profit killer and also really annoying.

Mining/Logging does require combat job leveling alongside it before profits really start to soar though. (Mining/Logging have no actual skill level so it's purely dependent on zones you can access without getting aggroed on)

Mob drop farming is only realistically viable as a thief from treasure hunter while crafting is the key to infinite wealth if you can get high enough skill. BCNM lottery can also be viable but is limited by beast coins.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Been playing this for the last couple days and am already up to 16THF/10WAR/10MNK. I've already seen a few names I recognize from those servers.

For those new to this game one thing needs to be clear: this game is about helping other people with no expectation of benefit to yourself. Without that, it doesn't function.

I've had 75 cap characters on retail and Nasomi so I'm pretty good at starting out fresh. The starting areas here are more like Nasomi and a bit more forgiving XP-wise than old retail. I recommend sticking in the starting areas (this being W/E Ronfraure and King Ranperre's if you're SD) until at least 12 and one or two shotting anything that checks as easy. Typically you want to avoid anything that checks DC and above as your xp/hour will suffer. However, you sometimes need those slightly higher level mobs for combat skillups, which are critical in this game. This server does have empress/emperor bands, you buy them with conquest points from a gate knight, equip it, then use it like an item to give a small xp bonus. The bands can be recharged once a week (presumably, I haven't got all the rules of this server down yet). I have yet to join a party and am almost 17, while this was possible on old retail it would take forever.

For making money check every single drop you get on the auction house. This game always had a fantastic economy based around crafting, when the population is high it works very well because the items farmed by the newest players (not all the items, some are junk and just aren't used for crafting skillups or items) are still needed by high level crafters or high level players getting into crafting. Some are just better off being sold to an npc, especially since this server limits to 5 or 6 AH slots. I've only been playing a couple days but have up to date gear for my level. There are also several one-time quests like the Drain spell quest...if you're not going to be a DRK or BLM you can safely sell the scroll. Same thing for Utsusemi and ninja....but trust me you'll want that. You'll also make more money soloing, always. Partying in this game does not make you money, the opposite actually. You are expected to bring food and consumables.

Anyway I used to have an encyclopedic knowledge of this game. Most has been lost to time but the muscle memory is still there. My characters name is Gweenz. Shoot me a message if you see me on, I'd be interested in a goon LS.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Gorson posted:

This server does have empress/emperor bands, you buy them with conquest points from a gate knight, equip it, then use it like an item to give a small xp bonus. The bands can be recharged once a week (presumably, I haven't got all the rules of this server down yet).

There's also the Chariot band which has been heavily buffed on this server. Recharging rings is once per conquest cycle (week) by trading it to a gate guard which deducts CP per charge recharged.

You can get a free exp ring from a short beginner's quest which only requires getting to ~lv4 which saves you a decent chunk of beginning conquest points.

I'll add onto the other advice posted by saying that some quests require regional reputation levels which is gained through questing. Don't try and do this through normal quests and instead buy Millioncorn off the vendor for a Selbina quest which gives both Bastok and Sandy (and Jeuno) rep while doing Cornettes in Windurst which gives Windy, Kazham, and Jeuno fame.

A side effect of having more reputation is that most things cost cheaper from vendors, sometimes significantly, which can be useful for reselling to the AH or just for grinding.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 7, 2023

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rynoto posted:

There's also the Chariot band which has been heavily buffed on this server. Recharging rings is once per conquest cycle (week) by trading it to a gate guard which deducts CP per charge recharged.

You can get a free exp ring from a short beginner's quest which only requires getting to ~lv4 which saves you a decent chunk of beginning conquest points.

I'll add onto the other advice posted by saying that some quests require regional reputation levels which is gained through questing. Don't try and do this through normal quests and instead buy Millioncorn off the vendor for a Selbina quest which gives both Bastok and Sandy (and Jeuno) rep while doing Cornettes in Windurst which gives Windy, Kazham, and Jeuno fame.

A side effect of having more reputation is that most things cost cheaper from vendors, sometimes significantly, which can be useful for reselling to the AH or just for grinding.

Good to know this, thanks!

The millioncorn quest is a big one, give that inbred yokel all the corn he will take. It's cheap and you can bring a few stacks with you when you are in Valkurm for xp parties. The rep you get from that quest opens up other quests that lead to scrolls you can use or sell. There is a way to check this reputation by talking to an NPC somewhere.

E: I also forgot about that cornettes one. Like most I always roll SD I bet there are very few people in the windurst starting areas farming these and silk.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 7, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Gorson posted:

E: I also forgot about that cornettes one. Like most I always roll SD I bet there are very few people in the windurst starting areas farming these and silk.

The cornettes can be bought in Bastok for cheap and you don't need many. Right now is the perfect time to do it as Bastok has the rank for it and they're only very slightly more expensive than the quest reward pay out.

Using your other two character slots to have lv1 alts in the other two starting cities gives you both access to the regional and loyalty specific vendors/sales and AH for trading back and forth with your main making this even easier.

Maxing all the major reputations right now would only cost a few thousand gil after you account for rewards if you're smart with vendors. The bigger cost is the hour or two of your time.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 7, 2023

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Haven't partied yet, please tell me people skillchain and MB on this server :pray:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Gorson posted:

Haven't partied yet, please tell me people skillchain and MB on this server :pray:

Regularly once you get 20s, at least. Parties are generally very efficient here.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

Gorson posted:

Magic Bursts have been heavily buffed on this server so people really go for it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gorson posted:

Some are just better off being sold to an npc, especially since this server limits to 5 or 6 AH slots. I've only been playing a couple days but have up to date gear for my level. There are also several one-time quests like the Drain spell quest...if you're not going to be a DRK or BLM you can safely sell the scroll. Same thing for Utsusemi and ninja....but trust me you'll want that. You'll also make more money soloing, always. Partying in this game does not make you money, the opposite actually. You are expected to bring food and consumables.

uhh you have 21 AH slots per character, 3 character slots, so 63 AH slots total. it's not a huge concern although you definitely can fill them up if you're a crafter

Gorson posted:

all the time.

anyway i'm Jazeria on horizon, 50 MNK at the moment so folks let me know if you need help with anything! a goon linkshell might be nice

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazerus posted:

uhh you have 21 AH slots per character, 3 character slots, so 63 AH slots total. it's not a huge concern although you definitely can fill them up if you're a crafter

Oh I was putting a few things on the ah and got some error message, figured I was hitting an ah limit.

Good to hear people actually skillchain on this server it makes partying so much more fun.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Yeah, we should throw a shell together. There seems to be 10-12 of us so it would be nice!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Yeah, we should throw a shell together. There seems to be 10-12 of us so it would be nice!

Give an appropriately goony name and I'll throw gil at one. They're not that expensive.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
That part doesn't really matter, I mean it's a free private server so I don't care what it is haha..

GoonsFTW

NotBots

I"m not good at this

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I"m not good at this

Neither am I which is why the hope of someone more clever coming up with one.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

AbsolutePedantry

Salvage when?

OrdelleNumismatists

Fish Coin TM
alternatively, Sole Coin TM

Mjolnir WHMs Only

Now in HD

Gob Squad

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

The LS should be named Legion

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

PrinnySquad posted:

AbsolutePedantry

This was too good and gave me horrific flashbacks so:

/tell Revanchism for a pearl. I'll make sure everyone gets a bag so you can then invite whoever.

Will be on for a while today.

Jenzar has a bag as well now so bother them.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 7, 2023

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I forgot how good this game looks with the resolution cranked at 60fps. I also forgot just how much the sand of Valkurm will try to burn your eyeballs out.

I'm in Selbina trading corn, if anyone is willing to come down I could use some SJ items.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Gorson posted:

I forgot how good this game looks with the resolution cranked at 60fps. I also forgot just how much the sand of Valkurm will try to burn your eyeballs out.

I'm in Selbina trading corn, if anyone is willing to come down I could use some SJ items.

Gweenz is now sacked as well for people trying to join.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 8, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

keep it down up there! posted:

The LS should be named Legion

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
52 PLD and 50 DRG over here. There was an Imp Zone group but they've mostly stopped playing, and I've scaled way back in the last couple weeks after adopting a puppy. Turns out XP partying for 2 hours minimum is difficult when there's something in your house that can pee on stuff, so it's nice that DRG/WHM is a beast with the WOTG solo rates.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How's the class balance on this server? Any particularly good or bad classes or class combos?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

How's the class balance on this server? Any particularly good or bad classes or class combos?

BST was massively overbuffed but is slowly being worked back. Still incredibly strong and easy. SMN is quite good as well with buffs. Some classes were nerfed a bit here and there but outside the outlier of BST everything is within viable range of each other.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
I tried to play (first time ever) yesterday but I couldn't get the game to recognize my controller and oh boy did playing with a mouse feel bad. Anyone use an X-Box Elite for this game? Is there a different way to configure the controller other than through the option on the launcher?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

r0rb posted:

I tried to play (first time ever) yesterday but I couldn't get the game to recognize my controller and oh boy did playing with a mouse feel bad. Anyone use an X-Box Elite for this game? Is there a different way to configure the controller other than through the option on the launcher?

Try selecting this option and then configuring to your liking:

Then when you get in game reverse the camera x/y in the in game config menu

I can still play a mean THF even with crap gear @21

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

Most notable big things

-Utsu recast increased, NIN gets an active trait that reduces Utsu recast and increases threat gained. They've stated they want to mitigate the everyone just being /NIN for all content, but can't say they've been terribly successful so far. Utsu is just stupidly strong.
-THF got hella buffed, SATA is stronger, dagger TP moves are insanely stronger, Triple Attack is now a trait at 30 (which opens up more /THF options), and Wasp Sting is (still?) busted in that it hits harder than Viper Bite. Thief Knife's +1 TH was moved to a neckpiece that you do a quest for so you don't have to constantly offhand a mediocre dagger at 75 to boot.
-RDM got slapped on the wrist with Refresh being slightly more expensive and Convert having its CD increased 33% so you can't just be an infinite MP machine in XP parties. But RDM is still RDM so.. very good.
-Magic Bursts were heavily buffed and people don't XP on Colibri with TOAU not out so BLM is in a great spot.
-SMN was buffed and received a number of new toys (AoE refresh on Leviathan Ward?!)
-PLD got solid club skill so now it can spam Moon/Starlight in XP parties for more MP.
-As previously noted, BST is insanely good atm.

Nothing that fully changes the entire dynamics of the game, but you can definitely see them trying to kick old metas down to balance things out, for better or worse.

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 9, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
We still got a few active goons about and the server itself is very healthy with 2-3k online at all times. Always need more people if you want to experience oldffxi.

First major patch, 1.1, is scheduled for the 31st.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Decided to give this server a whirl for the nostalgia rush... except they completely butchered the music! It sounds like they passed midi arrangements of the original through some software to make them sound more orchestrated. Is there a way to get the original music back??

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Decided to give this server a whirl for the nostalgia rush... except they completely butchered the music! It sounds like they passed midi arrangements of the original through some software to make them sound more orchestrated. Is there a way to get the original music back??

HorizonXI\Game\polplugins\DATs\horizonmusic is the custom music folder if you want to delete it
For a less destructive approach then
HorizonXI\Game\config\pivot\pivot.ini, delete 0=horizonmusic, move everything up 1 slot, save, then make read-only.

And make sure to join the LS! We're very helpful and not at all insane.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 14, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm pretty sure there's just a setting in the in-game options, I didn't modify any files and was able to use the old OST

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

there is a launcher option to revert the music. i think it can be buggy sometimes so if it fucks up try toggling it on and off again or reinstalling or w/e

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think it got it working now, thanks. It's vital to my experience that the music is era accurate.

Also it feels really weird that I've leveled to 10 without buying or equipping a single piece of gear outside of what I started with.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rynoto posted:

And make sure to join the LS! We're very helpful and not at all insane.

I think it's important to emphasize this. No elitists here, no weirdos. Play game, get gil and levels, ask for help and get it. Get your feelings back (does anyone remember those?) by helping out others.

We've been making good progress, knocking out some of the early stuff and making gil. The same money making activities still work here. Best advice I can give for brand new people is don't even bother leaving the area right next to the starting city until after level 10, and I mean right next to the gate. 1-10 was always the most boring part of the game and very slow in old retail, the devs of this server recognized that most of us don't really need to go through that again. Beat on mobs for 30xp per until level 10, take the drops and sell them, take another job to 10, rinse repeat. This will build up combat skills, money, and level up the jobs you'll need as subjobs for later. I got BST to 11 in about 45 minutes. What slows down xp is long fights, resting, and dying.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yeah I'm 50/50 here, some of it is good some of it not. How dare they touch the Zitah music!

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

IMO they made Sandy and Ronfuare MUCH more tolerable, but yeah it's been hit or miss with the custom music. The music they added to zones that previously had none (like SSG) is pretty nice.

Also man, was in a double SMN party on my BLM, and then was one of the SMNs in a double SMN party and the self SMN SC damage with SMN buffs on top of the magic burst buffs are pretty silly. Just vaporizing 60-70% of an IT in an instant. You know, definitely era accurate experiences.

https://i.imgur.com/CDHneep.mp4

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 15, 2023

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Most parties will SC and MB which is great. Faster XP, more fun.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Gorson posted:

Most parties will SC and MB which is great. Faster XP, more fun.

MB and SC being heavily buffed is one of the changes I most enjoy, emphasizing working together.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

As someone who has been left behind on CoP before (due to my own laziness) and have had to pub group to get caught up I'd like to get started on CoP soon. The first promies are capped at 30 so it can be done while leveling. People vastly overestimate the difficulty of CoP content because of bad experiences with pub groups. As long as we have the most important positions taken care of we can fill in DD with pubbies if needed. Right now I have thf/nin but will have war and nin soon.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

I do need to do my Promies still, RDM and WHM are good for it with BLM and SMN soon to be good for it. My WAR is technically leveled but I sold the majority of that gear as I only leveled it for sub job shenanigans.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
With the current LS members we would have PLD, WHM, RDM/BLM/SMN, and 2x THF able to do the basic promies so could go for it this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

My Saturday is booked, but Sunday I have time.