Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is there anyone who rivals or surpasses tony schiavone in terms of being something of a "lame grumpus" for quite some time and then becoming well liked by a majority of people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Cavauro posted:

is there anyone who rivals or surpasses tony schiavone in terms of being something of a "lame grumpus" for quite some time and then becoming well liked by a majority of people?
I am worried Jeff Jarrett is going to end up there if he keeps playing to "lol, I know, I suck" but Tony is a pretty great candidate given that 99% of wrestling fans were glad he was gone "forever" when WCW died

It helps that even then we knew Tony clearly had the ability to be a good announcer and just never seemed to use it

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Kvlt! posted:

It's often either literally just said, or there's a signal. The most famous/obvious one is a clap. Say someone bounces off the rope and is going to get clotheslined, no clap=duck and clap=take the bump. There's lots of signals like that but yeah it's often literally just said out loud.

I had no idea it was that, wow. Is that also why wrestlers clap their opponents on the back when doing a DDT? Or is it more to signal "I'm doing the move, brace yourself" to someone would have no way to learn otherwise?

also might be related, but: in puro I notice that wrestlers often yell the name of their opponent aloud before hitting them, is that also supposed to be a call for something?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

also might be related, but: in puro I notice that wrestlers often yell the name of their opponent aloud before hitting them, is that also supposed to be a call for something?

have you ever played a Yakuza game or watched a fighting anime, because its the same reason they do it there

aka it rules

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lily Catts posted:

I had no idea it was that, wow. Is that also why wrestlers clap their opponents on the back when doing a DDT? Or is it more to signal "I'm doing the move, brace yourself" to someone would have no way to learn otherwise?

This is what's called "The Office" or an "iggy"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Lily Catts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeM59uc9ew

Mileage may vary depending on the wrestler.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Lily Catts posted:

yeah, often when doing a move that involves lifting or jumping the person doing it will count down while grappling

the most common form of wrestling where NOTHING is called is chain wrestling, it's basically just a bunch of sequences you memorise but even that has some tells.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the most common form of wrestling where NOTHING is called is chain wrestling, it's basically just a bunch of sequences you memorise but even that has some tells.

I've always kind of wondered if some of the better ground technicians when they're going at it with each other like ZSJ, DBry, Johnny Saint, etc are basically just shooting on each other but leaving big obvious holes for the other guy to go through and not gripping tight on anything and maybe there's a sign for "yo I got nothing for this let me up".

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The most obvious one I saw early in my wrestling watching was Thunder Rosa using her angry beating the mat to signal what count pin to take/when to take the full three.

I'm sure she changes what the signal means from match to match, but the banging the ring, a lot of the time, was obviously a "signal."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CommonShore posted:

I just watched the Brandoncam for last night's Trios title match - the pop for the pin was massive. Like, it was "long denied babyface gets the pin over the company's top heel" massive even though House of Black is an unapologetically unironic statanic evil faction. Are they heels? They wrestle like heels, and they don't even do any antihero stuff like classic Steve Austin. They just do evil poo poo, cheat, kick in the back, and gently caress people up.

Tell me about some other wrestlers or factions in the past who like HoB were "Heel" in every sense of the word, but who got those kinds of reactions.

Hail satan

The Road Warriors

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

I've always kind of wondered if some of the better ground technicians when they're going at it with each other like ZSJ, DBry, Johnny Saint, etc are basically just shooting on each other but leaving big obvious holes for the other guy to go through and not gripping tight on anything and maybe there's a sign for "yo I got nothing for this let me up".

Suzuki vs Bryan Danielson has the feel of a match that's completely improvised (with a substantial language barrier) and sometimes they just let go of holds and do a different one.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Mileage may vary depending on the wrestler.

Yeah, usually wrestlers will try to be juuust loud enough that their opponent can hear them but the audience can't, and there's John Cena WHO WILL JUST SHOUT EVERY MOVE AS LOUD AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Does anyone remember, years ago, there was a couple of posts from a wrestling fig message board where this guy made these hilarious batshit stories using wrestling fig photography? I think it might have been called 'simonscans' or something similar. I used to keep the page bookmarked across multiple laptops but can't seem to track it down now. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and perhaps have a cached link?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

fez_machine posted:

Suzuki vs Bryan Danielson has the feel of a match that's completely improvised (with a substantial language barrier) and sometimes they just let go of holds and do a different one.

Suzuki did that in shoots too, sometimes to his own detriment.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's funny, I remember a bit from Wrestling Road Diaries where Bryan says he doesn't like seeing people do chain wrestling sequences just to wind up in the same position they started.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Germansimp posted:

Yeah, usually wrestlers will try to be juuust loud enough that their opponent can hear them but the audience can't, and there's John Cena WHO WILL JUST SHOUT EVERY MOVE AS LOUD AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

In Aubrey Edward's interview with Chris Van Vliet, she talked about this. He asked something like "How do you communicate with the wrestlers in the ring?" and she explained it like "Well, if you just sort of talk quietly like we're doing right here, the people a few feet away from you will hear you, but the crowd is actually pretty far away and they won't."

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have it on good authority that they all speak a secret indecipherable language

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bonk posted:

House of Black isn't face or heel, their alignment is "fuckin' cool".

Some of the incarnations of Los Ingobernables, especially de Japon, fit the bill of being ostensibly heel but everyone loves them.

Toryumon's Crazy MAX also comes to mind. They pretty much only turned face because they were out-heeled by M2K.

LIJ haven't really been heels since like 2018. And they definitely aren't now.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I learned calling it in the ring as wrestlers will typically call out a series of spots. Typically the more veteran wrestler calls the spots. An example of something super basic is “headlock, drop down, tackle, take it again” where one wrestler starts with a headlock, the other sends them into the ropes, drops down, then takes a tackle and gets up and the original wrestler who had the headlock grabs another headlock.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Was Sting never wrestling for WWF/WWE (until he finally did at that one Mania) a conscious choice/did he have a public beef with someone at WWE or was it just kinda how his career unfolded naturally? What finally made him wrestle for WWE, just a big pile of cash?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kvlt! posted:

Was Sting never wrestling for WWF/WWE (until he finally did at that one Mania) a conscious choice/did he have a public beef with someone at WWE or was it just kinda how his career unfolded naturally? What finally made him wrestle for WWE, just a big pile of cash?

From what I understand Sting was apparently the only smart person with his money during the ATM Eric days and could happily do what he wanted, especially if Vince didn't want to pay him what he was worth. I don't think there's really any beef with anybody. Sting doesn't seem like the beef type, although he could probably be forgiven for being irritated at HHH.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sting only hated one man and it was vampiro

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

Sting was always fairly well pushed and well paid in WCW so it didn't make sense to go to the WWF where he didn't know what his push would be like and his money wasn't as guaranteed. Then when WCW died he didn't really trust Vince and had offers to do very little work for good money so he went with those. After years in TNA he finally decided it was ok to do the big WWE match and it didn't go exactly as he wanted.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wasn't there a story saying his religion didn't really agree with WWE still being sorta adult post purchase?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I imagine that watching the WCW Invasion unfold didn't have him champing at the bit to get in on that.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Didn't he always say he turned on raw to see Booker T, the 5 time WCW champion, come out to get asked who in the blue hell he was by the rock and was like 'you know what I think I'll leave it'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

sting only hated one man and it was vampiro

That seems to be a common thread. Jericho talks about him in his book. Random podcasts go off on how insufferable and overrated he is. I've only seen him in death throes WCW and I try not to judge a man by what can only be the least of his works but most folks don't seem to have a good word for Vampy.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Did Sting have a bunch of matches in TNA? Was he working a Brock Lesnar schedule?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stealth Tiger posted:

Did Sting have a bunch of matches in TNA? Was he working a Brock Lesnar schedule?

He was working like 15-20 matches a year for half a million which for 2006 was great money for a part timer. Way more than Vince was going to offer for that schedule.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Didn't Joe stay in TNA forever too cause they were paying him better than what WWE was going to offer at the time?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Didn't Joe stay in TNA forever too cause they were paying him better than what WWE was going to offer at the time?
After a certain point? I believe so, yes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

WWE was only offering him a developmental deal in 2005 at $500 per week. TNA made a real offer and let him still do indies. From there TNA was a better money deal for him until HHH tried to make the internet love him.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

WWE was only offering him a developmental deal in 2005 at $500 per week. TNA made a real offer and let him still do indies. From there TNA was a better money deal for him until HHH tried to make the internet love him.

IIRC also the buzz was while they'd sign him the goal was to tear him down and show him what being a big shot in ROH and the indies meant too

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

He was working like 15-20 matches a year for half a million which for 2006 was great money for a part timer. Way more than Vince was going to offer for that schedule.

Would that have had any contribution to his relative longevity? He's obviously slowed down loads, but considering he's 60+ he's a lot better in the ring now than you'd expect of someone his age.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

IIRC also the buzz was while they'd sign him the goal was to tear him down and show him what being a big shot in ROH and the indies meant too

Probably the reason it took AJ Styles so long to sign with WWE too. It would have been a political minefield for guys like him and Joe. Look at how WWE treated Bryan and Punk in their early years.

Wasn't Impact offering decent money even in the mid 2010s? I remember being really excited when James Storm did a couple of NXT shows and was quite bummed he turned NXT down to return to Impact, but apparently the money was better.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Being in TNA also allowed Joe to stay in Florida rather than having to travel all over the place. That was another big reason for him to stay there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

edogawa rando posted:

Would that have had any contribution to his relative longevity? He's obviously slowed down loads, but considering he's 60+ he's a lot better in the ring now than you'd expect of someone his age.
Working like 3 matches during the hottest year of his career didn't hurt either

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

edogawa rando posted:

While I'm sure working less helped (and WCW's relatively easier schedule even in the 90s) with his neck and some other injuries I don't know if he came out of his career less worn down than the average wrestler. I think he just had more motivation.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think WCW had a pretty heavy schedule for top guys in the first boom period, Sting in particular wrestled way more as Surfer Sting, even if you leave 1997 out of the equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I think WCW had a pretty heavy schedule for top guys in the first boom period, Sting in particular wrestled way more as Surfer Sting, even if you leave 1997 out of the equation.

WCW had one boom period and Sting barely worked during it. He worked a fairly heavy schedule in UWF and JCP but in WCW he was working between 120-200 matches in the early 90s and down to 100 or so by the mid 90s. So by not being in WWF he was working significantly less dates than a lot of the top stars were just because WCW never ran as many house shows.