Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've got that itch again. The itch for Lovecraftian horror.

I've been playing Consuming Shadows, Shrouded Isle, Darkest Dungeon, Last Door, Dusk, World of Horror. Sunless Seas, Cultist Simulator. The popular stuff, basically.

What are the best Lovecraftian horror games out there for PC? (So no Bloodborne.) I'm looking specifically for the suspicious town, paranoia, something is Wrong vibe, but I'll take anything. Thank you!

If you're into point and click adventure games, Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice are straight Mythos and imho worth going back to. Just keep a walkthrough at hand though as I seem to remember a couple cases of pixel hunt in Prisoner of Ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Last Door and its second season are worth checking out.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm looking specifically for the suspicious town, paranoia, something is Wrong vibe, but I'll take anything. Thank you!

Pathologic would probably hit that vibe but also you'd need to be prepared to play Pathologic and it's quite the commitment.

If you enjoy ascii roguelikes then Door in the Woods and Infra Arcana are both full-on Lovecraftian stuff and v good.

further edit: If you play interactive fiction then Anchorhead or for an even more old-school game then Hound of Shadow.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 6, 2023

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've been playing Consuming Shadows, Shrouded Isle, Darkest Dungeon, Last Door, Dusk, World of Horror. Sunless Seas, Cultist Simulator. The popular stuff, basically.

What are the best Lovecraftian horror games out there for PC? (So no Bloodborne.) I'm looking specifically for the suspicious town, paranoia, something is Wrong vibe, but I'll take anything. Thank you!

How do you feel about old-school text adventures? Infocom's The Lurking Horror and Michael S. Gentry's Anchorhead are pretty decent works on the subject.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's not quite Lovecraft in visual tone, but Raging Loop might scratch this itch if you don't mind visual novel stuff. Basically any visual novel set in a Japanese remote rural village is gonna have some hosed up cosmic horror poo poo they desperately want to hide. Hell, if you don't care about gameplay at all but do care about writing down notes and forming theories about what is happening you might be ready for Higurashi.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cult of the Lamb was pretty big recently.

Control might be your jam, although it's only indirectly related to Lovecraft because it's very specifically riffing on SCP, which takes some vibes from Lovecraft.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Maybe a stupid question but have you checked out the more recent Call of Cthulhu or the much older Dark Corners of the Earth? The former is apparently rather flawed in a B-game way but certainly has the vibe, the latter is infamously a technical mess that may or may not run, even via the GOG version, but if you want THE Innsmouth experience it's got it right out of the original text.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Seconded. They're really good. Also, Penumbra: Overture if you haven't played it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The Sinking City is one of the better 7/10 eurojank horror-adjacent games and it has an interesting, not often explored tone where all the mythos stuff is known and just out in the open so you get to deal with stuff like cultists preaching in the street and giving you a casual "hey bud" as you pass by while doing legwork for a rich ape-man family. It's set some years after Shadow over Innsmouth so you interact with a bunch of sad displaced fish people who are the put-upon lower class now and trying to rebrand the Esoteric Order of Dagon as a charity. The main character is a haunted psychic private investigator who is very clearly OVER this poo poo yesterday and is just kind of cynically sleepwalking through the whole plot. It also lets you mock and then later murder the KKK.

It's not very spooky (though rarely tries to be) but as a Lovecraft enjoyer you will likely find a lot to love.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

StrixNebulosa posted:

There's a new game coming out soon in the Fallen London/Failbetter setting - Mask of the Rose

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

You mentioned Sunless Seas, but have you played Sunless Skies?

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

thekeeshman posted:

I'm looking for something to scratch the "open-world RPG/immersive sim with a decent story" itch. Things I have played and enjoyed:

-The Witcher games and Cyberpunk 2077
-Mass Effect 1 & 2 (3 and Andromeda looked bad)
-The Dishonored games
-The recent Deus Ex games
-Neverwinter nights 1
-Dragon Age Origins (2 looked bad, Inquisition is a possibility?)
-rear end Creed 2
-Fallout New Vegas (I've tried 4 and got bored halfway through, and I've played The Outer Worlds, which was okay)
-Alpha Protocol
-Disco Elysium

I'm currently playing Pillars of Eternity, and while it ticks a lot of boxes I'm finding the combat straight up tedious, even on easy difficulty, I just can't be bothered to deal with all the different classes and managing all their abilities, I think the large party based RPGs aren't my thing. I know I could drop the difficulty to story mode but that would seem to be missing the point. Seems like this would rule out PoE 2 and the Divinity games. (Played Arcanum back in the day)

I've tried several ARPGs but couldn't really get into them. Torchlight 1&2 made for good podcast-listening games with passive builds, but Diablo 3 and Grim Dawn didn't click.

Current possibilities:

-One of the newer rear end Creed games? Heard good things about Black Flag and Odyssey
-Dragon Age Inquisition?
-Kingdom Come Deliverance? (Got this for free on Epic so no investment needed to check it out)

I'm not attached to any particular format, genre, or setting, hopefully this gives people some idea of the vibe I'm looking for.

Not sure why nobody has talked about Mass Effect 3. It's very much part of the original trilogy, what exactly about it looked bad compared to 1 & 2? The ending is a bit weak for being the climax of a trilogy (at least the OG ending when I played, I think they patched it) but the rest of the game is up to par with the first two. You should probably give it a shot.

MrXmas fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 7, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I also skipped Mass Effect 3 at first despite loving 2 (enough to suffer through 1's gameplay) but I replayed the whole series once Legendary Edition came out and 3 wasn't all that bad.

The ending is meh, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be, all things consumed, and 3 has some really outstanding moments.
The gameplay ia is particularly good and The Citadel dlc is easily the peak of the series.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

3 has some fantastic gameplay and even some interesting stories that are all let down by the weakness of the central story that the game was originally built around. I think it all adds up to "okay" but you probably are better off at just letting like the Citadel DLC be the ending and not bothering with the "real" finale of the game.

Andromeda might be okay too, but I get the impression it came up short for a lot of people. Most complaints I remember were about it being buggy at release, which can really kill a game's momentum, but when you're picking up games years after the fact, most of that has usually been fixed.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Try A House of Many Doors. Lovecraftian-ish. Graphics and combat are meh, but the atmosphere and writing is great.

Gameplay is similar to Sunless Sea, but you can cheese the "you have to wait 20 real life minutes to have another event (i.e. the interesting stuff) in a port", which was my main annoyance with that game by saving and reloading while docked.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there any other decent John Woo-inspired shooters, like FEAR or Black, that I have missed?
I loved Severed Steel, and Selaco demo was great, and Trepang2...exists.

Is there anything else in the similar vain?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Stranglehold is a literal video game sequel to Hard Boiled. I remember it being decent in 2007 but I don't know how well it'll hold up (or how available it is)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wow, I asked the right place!

Sucker for Love looks neat, on the wishlist it goes. Can you mute the voice-overs, though?

Last Door is excellent, solid rec.

FishMcCool posted:

If you're into point and click adventure games, Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice are straight Mythos and imho worth going back to. Just keep a walkthrough at hand though as I seem to remember a couple cases of pixel hunt in Prisoner of Ice.

Ooooh, I think I'd heard of these but entirely forgotten. Perfect!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Pathologic would probably hit that vibe but also you'd need to be prepared to play Pathologic and it's quite the commitment.

If you enjoy ascii roguelikes then Door in the Woods and Infra Arcana are both full-on Lovecraftian stuff and v good.

further edit: If you play interactive fiction then Anchorhead or for an even more old-school game then Hound of Shadow.

I've already played a good chunk of Pathologic, and you're right, it nails the paranoid small town vibe perfectly. Amongst other things.

I suck at both Door in the Woods and Infra Arcana, but why not try them again?

And I've been through Anchorhead, but not Hound of Shadow! Onwards! Haven't done The Lurking Horror, either!

Redezga posted:

It's not quite Lovecraft in visual tone, but Raging Loop might scratch this itch if you don't mind visual novel stuff. Basically any visual novel set in a Japanese remote rural village is gonna have some hosed up cosmic horror poo poo they desperately want to hide. Hell, if you don't care about gameplay at all but do care about writing down notes and forming theories about what is happening you might be ready for Higurashi.

I ADORE Raging Loop and can't wait to replay it in a few years when I've forgotten some of the twists. I didn't click with Higurashi, though - I've read about half of it. That said, I realized I have Iwaihime, which is by the same author and horror, so that might scratch the itch!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Cult of the Lamb was pretty big recently.

Control might be your jam, although it's only indirectly related to Lovecraft because it's very specifically riffing on SCP, which takes some vibes from Lovecraft.

I haven't tried Cult of the Lamb yet!

Control is AMAZING. Wrong vibe for what I'm looking for, but it is the ideal SCP game and I adore its music.

John Murdoch posted:

Maybe a stupid question but have you checked out the more recent Call of Cthulhu or the much older Dark Corners of the Earth? The former is apparently rather flawed in a B-game way but certainly has the vibe, the latter is infamously a technical mess that may or may not run, even via the GOG version, but if you want THE Innsmouth experience it's got it right out of the original text.

I've been through an LP of Dark Corners and that was a delightful game to watch; I don't want to play it. I own Call of Cthulhu but haven't played yet, so time to install it.

Haven't played Penumbra Overture, on the wishlist it goes...

Is it safe to buy the steam edition of Sinking City, or is that going to give money to assholes instead of Frogwares still?

Yup, been through all of Failbetter - the browser game, Sunless Seas/Skies, looking forward to Mask of the Rose...

Fat Samurai posted:

Try A House of Many Doors. Lovecraftian-ish. Graphics and combat are meh, but the atmosphere and writing is great.

Gameplay is similar to Sunless Sea, but you can cheese the "you have to wait 20 real life minutes to have another event (i.e. the interesting stuff) in a port", which was my main annoyance with that game by saving and reloading while docked.

Honestly this one is my favorite of the Sunless Seas formula, and I wish it had more support and success.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Party Boat posted:

Stranglehold is a literal video game sequel to Hard Boiled. I remember it being decent in 2007 but I don't know how well it'll hold up (or how available it is)

Yeah, I've seen that and also Wet. They're...not great but thanks anyway.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Jack Trades posted:

Are there any other decent John Woo-inspired shooters, like FEAR or Black, that I have missed?
I loved Severed Steel, and Selaco demo was great, and Trepang2...exists.

Is there anything else in the similar vain?

I assume you've played the Max Payne games?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pun pundit posted:

I assume you've played the Max Payne games?

Yeah, Max Payne is great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What is the best Castlevania game to start with on Switch?

(and by best I mean i suck at video games so maybe the easiest is a better question)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

(and by best I mean i suck at video games so maybe the easiest is a better question)

Bloodstained

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Bloodstained

which one?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is it safe to buy the steam edition of Sinking City, or is that going to give money to assholes instead of Frogwares still?
Assholes. Not sure if it's ever going to change, to be honest. According to some posts, you should be able to get the Frogwares version via Epic, so maybe try that?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

The Castlevania Advance Collection has Aria of Sorrow, which is overall easy (some difficult sections) and a fantastic game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

which one?

Oh, eh, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, the only real one.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

It might depend on what you're looking to get into Castlevania for. If what you want are the exploration-focused metroidvania-style Castlevanias, the Advance Collection has those. If you want the linear, classic Castlevania style, the Castlevania Anniversary Collection has the first few games, but they're all real hard. Castlevania is tough.

If you're looking for just any Metroidvania, there's a whole lot more options out there, I dunno what counts as the easiest. I feel like Super Metroid is a really great introduction to the genre.

Similarly, if you're looking for any linear action platformer to get some of the vibe of Castlevania but not the NES/SNES harsh, uncaring difficulty, I'd say play Shovel Knight.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Bloodstained games are very Castlevania-flavored but they're also a lot more forgiving. Ritual of the Night is good if you want a big exploration-focused game, and the Curse of the Moon games are more of the classic platformer style.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bloodstained is the legally-not-Castlevania extension of the franchise, led and created by the guy who had started the whole exploration-focused branch of the franchise with Symphony of the Night and the GBA games after Konami decided to step down development of videogames to focus on gambling.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I will say that the Switch version of Bloodstained RotN is noticeably less well optimized than the PC version. I beat the game on Switch and still enjoyed it a great deal, but I'm fairly insensitive to those things and also after playing on the Steam Deck I couldn't go back. Bloodstained is fairly easy I'd say if only because you can grind and get powerful weapons and shards with a little patience, in addition to not being super challenging generally. I'd second all the above recommendations as well.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

It might depend on what you're looking to get into Castlevania for. If what you want are the exploration-focused metroidvania-style Castlevanias, the Advance Collection has those. If you want the linear, classic Castlevania style, the Castlevania Anniversary Collection has the first few games, but they're all real hard. Castlevania is tough.

If you're looking for just any Metroidvania, there's a whole lot more options out there, I dunno what counts as the easiest. I feel like Super Metroid is a really great introduction to the genre.

Similarly, if you're looking for any linear action platformer to get some of the vibe of Castlevania but not the NES/SNES harsh, uncaring difficulty, I'd say play Shovel Knight.

The steamworld games were surprisingly good metoridvania

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shovel Knight is the best Castlevania and the best Duck Tales. The Specter Knight campaign is especially loving dope and I will never take down the giant tapestry of him that's hanging in my bedroom.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Shine posted:

Shovel Knight is the best Castlevania and the best Duck Tales. The Specter Knight campaign is especially loving dope and I will never take down the giant tapestry of him that's hanging in my bedroom.

King Knight is where it's at. :colbert:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ZeusCannon posted:

The steamworld games were surprisingly good metoridvania

specifically the steamworld dig ones, since the steamworld games tend to jump genres!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am looking for a fun recent-ish city builder that will run well on a macbook pro m2. maybe something with similar vibe to the old Caesar series

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't think the recently released Pharaoh remake has very onerous system requirements, you could check that out.

Otherwise if recent-ish is a requirement that's a tricky one. If it looking pretty isn't a requirement maybe Songs of Syx? If it is, maybe Foundation?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Earwicker posted:

i am looking for a fun recent-ish city builder that will run well on a macbook pro m2. maybe something with similar vibe to the old Caesar series

Pharaoh: New Era or even Caesar III: Augustus mod, which is a re-implementation in an open source engine of the old game, with new features and QoL features that runs in modern computers.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm looking for a car collectory racing game in the style of Gran Turismo or Forza on PC. I've played through enough of the new Forzas to get everything i needed out of it and want to try something in a similar vein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Spaced God posted:

I'm looking for a car collectory racing game in the style of Gran Turismo or Forza on PC. I've played through enough of the new Forzas to get everything i needed out of it and want to try something in a similar vein

There’s a mod that adds that to Asetto Corsa, I think it’s called Evoluzione?