Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Tae posted:

At what level or chapter did you get arm master because that seems to be locked behind a level 45 area.

I haven't finished all of the chapter 2s yet and I've gotten 3 weapons and unlocked it. Mostly because I went out of my way and the job/weapons seemed cool.

But yeah you have to run through some high level areas, and then you get to high level towns and can snag some nice gear if you want.

Is there any other major purchase besides the boat? I just got that last night doing one of the commerce things, I knew it was coming so I had stashed some money for it, but now it feels like I'd be free to grab some more higher level armor for some characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Combo posted:

Is there any other major purchase besides the boat? I just got that last night doing one of the commerce things, I knew it was coming so I had stashed some money for it, but now it feels like I'd be free to grab some more higher level armor for some characters.

That's by far the most you're required to spend.

And then eventually you'll be in the millions with nothing to buy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Are all bosses gonna be hp sponges? Agnea chapter 2 boss wasn't hard but I threw 4000 damage worth of gems and my guys were only doing like 90 damage without boosting

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

precision posted:

Are all bosses gonna be hp sponges? Agnea chapter 2 boss wasn't hard but I threw 4000 damage worth of gems and my guys were only doing like 90 damage without boosting

Yes

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
you're gonna have to start boostin

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

At some point you'll have the damage cap break skill and wish the bosses had more HP as you eviscerate bosses with 45k+ damage.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's by design; you're meant to do absolutely piddlin damage with your unboosted attacks against bosses with shields. The loop is surviving while you take down their shields and unloading everything you got once they're down.

E: Though I remember specifically Agnea's chapter 2 boss taking longer than I felt it should; I just chalked it up to me being underleveled.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I remember the fight against Tera feeling absolutely painful and then remembering that I can just capture it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's by design; you're meant to do absolutely piddlin damage with your unboosted attacks against bosses with shields. The loop is surviving while you take down their shields and unloading everything you got once they're down.

E: Though I remember specifically Agnea's chapter 2 boss taking longer than I felt it should; I just chalked it up to me being underleveled.

Yeah everyone was doing 600+ with boosted skills and hardly taking any damage, it just felt like he had way more HP than he should. I actually thought I was over leveled

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gear is more important than level.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The speedrun tech is coming out, and so far it looks like you can slam down most characters' complete stories from a fresh save file in 30-45 minutes. Some possibly a little longer. Makes you realize just how broken certain things are, but the first game was the same.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The most understated change is that when a path action is 100% likely to succeed, there's no warning prompt requiring another button press.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

FireWorksWell posted:

And then eventually you'll be in the millions with nothing to buy

No no, what you buy is Partitio paying 90k or so leaves per battle to make bosses gently caress off with Hired Help.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Who needs money when you have Aeber

I don't think Paritito's summons can break 9k even with the warrior ability though

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Thinking about it, Hikari might be the 'worst' character to start off with? Oswald and Partitio have utility based QoL via innate Analyze/money gathering that's always handy to have around. Oswald, Agnea, Temenos, Throne and Castti have level-based job actions so them being overleveled isn't a bad thing. Ochette is just kind of a beast and you can just passively keep your monsters updated. Ochette and Temenos mean you always have some way of hitting weakness, although Temenos requires his Latent to be available. Temenos and Throne are nice just for night-based passives to always be available.

Both of Hikari's actions are 'honest', and while having him be strong is good for Challenge, Ochette can also do the same. He's still a strong character so it's not bad to have him be powerful so he can just cut enemies down to size. Partitio's actions are also both honest so he's probably second worst, but always having access to Merchant means you'll build up resources without really noticing, and once he almost masters Merchant you always have a source of full Donate BP at the start of a fight.

I started with Hikari and he's been carrying the party by just doing absolutely comical amounts of damage. I didn't really play the first Octopath so maybe I don't know quite how to break the game best to leverage the other characters, but he's been incredibly straight forward and powerful for the whole game

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I am doing Osvald’s chapter 4 and just attempted the boss. The actual boss, not the stupid mini-boss right before.

… I think I’m going to go do other stuff and come back. That was… not good lol you know you are going to lose a fight when all your turns are used to revive and heal, only to have them die again next turn.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The story finale bosses don't gently caress around.

Which is nice because I barely remember most of the OT1 finale bosses or if they gave me anything resembling a hard time.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The story finale bosses don't gently caress around.

Which is nice because I barely remember most of the OT1 finale bosses or if they gave me anything resembling a hard time.

Is that really his final chapter? It’s 9 levels lower than all the other final chapters, I thought he might get a chapter 5 or something.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Are there notable things to steal with Throne, or is it 80% consumables and stuff.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

Are there notable things to steal with Throne, or is it 80% consumables and stuff.

Other than gear, there are some quest items that you can't get via Agnea/Partitio.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ApplesandOranges posted:

I found someone with a crazy dagger on them that required her to be level 72 to steal, so probably

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I got a legendary harpoon thing through stealing and putting it on Hikari made him a beast, there's a lot out there to find!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is that really his final chapter? It’s 9 levels lower than all the other final chapters, I thought he might get a chapter 5 or something.

He has 5.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I think they meant in battle. I don’t think any of the bosses have anything really good that you can steal off of them, that would be lovely because it would require you to bring a thief to every boss fight.

Out of battle, yeah you can get insanely good stuff early with steal, if you don’t mind save scumming

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Oh right my bad. Osvald always throws me off because his weird short chapter 2 exists which is barely a chapter. Though to be real there isn't actually any standard about the chapter structure between characters this game. :v:

His Chapter 4 boss is also real tough too.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, from what I can tell, it seems like everyone gets at least one chapter without an "actual" boss fight.

I'm assuming Ochette's finale is Chapter 3, since she gets 3 chapter 2's?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh right my bad. Osvald always throws me off because his weird short chapter 2 exists which is barely a chapter. Though to be real there isn't actually any standard about the chapter structure between characters this game. :v:

His Chapter 4 boss is also real tough too.

What even is the weird status effect that the boss can cause? It saps your BP or something? I definitely need more defense and some accessories that resist dark.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I haven't played too far so I could be wrong, but I've gotten the impression that each character has five "chapters", with some of them being split options and thus having multiple Chapter 2's or 3's, and one of those chapters won't have a boss (though it may still have battles).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have only finished Agnea's story but that boss was an rear end in a top hat

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I've done Chapter 2 for Hikari, Partitio, and Temenos and did part 1 of Mother's path for Throne. lmao that Chapter 1 of Hikari is the opening plot points of Gladiator and Chapter 2 is literally fighting as a gladiator. Still, I thought it picked up. I got what I think is a really nice sword for Hikari by "cheesing" duels I'm probably underleveled for by using Vengeful Blade/Stout Wall and using healing items only stopping to unload a max BP Latent Power. I know it's not really cheesing but it sort of feels that way.

I wasn't jazzed with Paritio's Chapter 2. Why yes, promise to buy technology for a million bajillion money you don't have and sign a contract with a guy who does fraudulent contracts who already hosed you over. No ofc it's not a problem we'll obviously make that money somehow I guess. Also please never stop monologuing in your southern accent to the moustache twirling capitalist scrooge mcduck villains who obviously don't give any fucks.

Temenos' story continues to be pretty cool and I look forward to where his bad cop routine continues to take me. Break a few kneecaps to get information from suspects? Break into houses in front of the militant clergy? No problem.

Throne playing Octopath Roulette with that slaver rear end in a top hat ruled though. I hope poo poo like that continues to be a thing.

Oh and finally got my first subclass license. Osvald Cleric seems good.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 7, 2023

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Osvald is already a scholar, so yeah it's pretty good...

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Combo posted:

Osvald is already a scholar, so yeah it's pretty good...

Fixed because I'm an idiot

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Someone said earlier that Partitio’s story is about him inventing Capitalism and I thought they were joking or exaggerating, but then I did his chapter 3. This is the greatest game I’ve ever played. No complaints.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mega64 posted:

I haven't played too far so I could be wrong, but I've gotten the impression that each character has five "chapters", with some of them being split options and thus having multiple Chapter 2's or 3's, and one of those chapters won't have a boss (though it may still have battles).

Well, (just descripting the chapter structures, spoilered for those who don't want to know) mostly

-Throné gets six chapters, five of which have a dungeon/boss, which makes her route the scrappiest
-Partitio gets four main chapters, and three "optional" sub-chapters, though the ship one is not actually optional
-Everyone else gets five chapters, at least one of which will not have a boss fight and/or dungeon

game does not have a care for structure and it's cool

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Ice Fist posted:

Fixed because I'm an idiot

It sounds odd but I actually (so far) have been using Throne as a cleric. With her speed she can go first a decent amount, if you need emergency healing. With her latent power she can heal first and then act again at the end of turn to break shields or do some damage. There's the staff ability to get SP based on damage done which is nice for keeping SP up also so you can spam abilities without care.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sticking Merchant onto your casters isn't a bad idea either, Rest is flat SP recovery so it doesn't matter how little damage your staffs would do otherwise. Ember isn't big damage but it's a single target spell so it's cheaper than using Fireball.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have yet to switch Thronė, my starter, off Inventor. The catapult is just too good for random battles and it helps her conserve SP.

One of the best things you can give casters for trash fights is the Apothecary support skill that regenerates 30% HP and SP after combat.

Also, Partitio is a beast with the support skill that gives him full latent power at the start of combat because he can just instantly full boost Arrow of Fortune.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also in case you haven't messed around with them, the Scholar skills to level up spells also affect Cleric skills, including Temenos' personal EX ones. I guess they don't have to be on the same character, but the caster classes synergize well with each other.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just did Castii's Chapter 3.

Jesus loving Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also in case you haven't messed around with them, the Scholar skills to level up spells also affect Cleric skills, including Temenos' personal EX ones. I guess they don't have to be on the same character, but the caster classes synergize well with each other.

Yeah, I haven’t tried it with his divine skill but Advanced magic hits every enemy twice and is very good.

Mega64 posted:

Just did Castii's Chapter 3.

Jesus loving Christ.

This game goes loving hard