Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

R0 of 25 means everybody that isn’t hermit half face respirator crew is going to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
To the council of dads: I humbly petition for membership in the dad thread. In support of my application, I submit aforementioned factual evidence of my existing dadhood and impending reiteration of dadhood this June. I further submit photographic evidence of a treehouse I built WITH MY OWN 2 HANDS during the early days of COVID, and also an array of dadly poo poo in my basement office.

Paternally,

Centrist Dad

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

R0 of 25 means everybody that isn’t hermit half face respirator crew is going to get it.

I don't wear a respirator but even then, even though our oldest will put on his child size kn95 when we ask him to I doubt that it seals very well. I don't even think they make effective masks small enough for our two year old. I don't want to isolate them. I'm just grateful that they're vaccinated.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Centrist Dad posted:

To the council of dads: I humbly petition for membership in the dad thread. In support of my application, I submit aforementioned factual evidence of my existing dadhood and impending reiteration of dadhood this June. I further submit photographic evidence of a treehouse I built WITH MY OWN 2 HANDS during the early days of COVID, and also an array of dadly poo poo in my basement office.

Paternally,

Centrist Dad

Coat rack right next to the PC seals it. Welcome to cspam parent chat.

My dadliest trait is my ability to smoke meats.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Greg Legg posted:

I don't wear a respirator but even then, even though our oldest will put on his child size kn95 when we ask him to I doubt that it seals very well. I don't even think they make effective masks small enough for our two year old. I don't want to isolate them. I'm just grateful that they're vaccinated.

I just take solace in the fact that my kids are probably getting a tenth the viral dose as their classmates.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Centrist Dad posted:

Paternally,

Centrist Dad

That is an extremely Dad office

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Centrist Dad posted:

Paternally,

Centrist Dad

King of the dads

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
DO WE HAVE ANY MOMS ITT?!

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

BonHair posted:

Yeah, but I kinda feel like my high score benefits from avoiding trauma and such, plus getting them some good values.

Speaking of, my five year old told his mother that cars are bad because they kill the animals, and also USA is bad because they love cars and weapons. We have a slight disagreement about how big of a parenting victory that is...

Nice, that's a W IMO.

Semi-related my kid recently asked what is meant by "interest". I gave IMO a fairly neutral description of loans with interest and debt. It was interesting how repulsed they were at the idea that the debtors would need to pay back more than they borrowed, and that in some cases the interest could add up to make the debt unpayable. It seemed like a very authentic reaction from someone without any preconceptions about the institution. Like kids need to be extensively inculcated to accept notions like usury or war or that a bunch of animals will be killed by cars every day, and that otherwise find them objectionable.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Greg Legg posted:

Flo Mask make non-disposable respirators for small children. We recently travelled by air with 2, 4 and 6 yo - though the 2yo has OPINIONS about masking.

Australia dropped the ball on vaccinations - we can't get our eldest boosted and the youngest vaccinated at all.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Yeah I can't get my kids vaccinated either, and no way I'm trying to get my 4 year old to mask, he's already asking stuff like "what does ugly mean?" I was bullied in school and that poo poo was traumatizing, I see no good reason to make him a target.

We had COVID in the fall, surely we'll keep getting that poo poo, too. I'm just glad we held it off for the pregnancy and until our youngest was 14 months or so.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kid now officially has moderate infantile autism :toot:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Struensee posted:

Yeah I can't get my kids vaccinated either, and no way I'm trying to get my 4 year old to mask, he's already asking stuff like "what does ugly mean?" I was bullied in school and that poo poo was traumatizing, I see no good reason to make him a target.

We had COVID in the fall, surely we'll keep getting that poo poo, too. I'm just glad we held it off for the pregnancy and until our youngest was 14 months or so.

Our kids mask and are definitely the only ones that do, but no-one else cares enough to comment. Our daycare does the best to keep 2yo in a mask, but there's only so much you can do in that front.

I think YMMV depending where you live.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

BonHair posted:

Kid now officially has moderate infantile autism :toot:

Autism is understandable but who could bear the shame of raising a moderate

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AxGrap posted:

DO WE HAVE ANY MOMS ITT?!

My wife doesn't post she's too busy being a handier dad than me.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

New baby is tolerating baby wearing well, unlike his older sister who fought it tooth and nail. It's a game changer. Instead of being glued to the couch for hours i can lead an almost normal life around the house while the baby sleeps sweetly in a fetal position in the Moby wrap on my chest

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wraps are amazing for babies. Never don't wrap. It's also great for trips where you really wouldn't like a stroller.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Ours didn't take too the carrier right away. At six months I've had to deliberately work up her stamina. Can do a good 30 minutes now as long as I keep moving.

Crucial too was figuring out to just slide her into it while wearing it instead of trying to strap it on around her.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Watched the Chris Rock special with wife. He has a bit where his daughter got in trouble with her fancy rear end school and he felt it necessary to go behind his daughter and wife and tell the dean "Whatever you gotta do you gotta kick my daughter out of school she needs to learn a lesson." So... Dean did, went on about how she had to apply to new school, explain why she got kicked out over and over again, repent to other rich dean's and ensure it'll never happen again. Capped it off with how it 1) made her better and 2) never ever told wife or daughter about this move until they watch this special.

That is some punk bitch poo poo. Very disrespectful, unilateral decision making, and like you rich dudes that's not how it goes for rich people. Wife paused and went "yaaaaaas, I can't wait to do that to my kid". Where's Will Smith to slap that fool when you need him?!?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Good luck earning the millions you'll need to even have the opportunity to do that poo poo. If you throw your kid under the bus in a public school environment, it is Very Bad.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah you only get expelled for rich people shenanigans at rich people schools. When I was a poor teen at a regular-degular school I did a similar thing where I snuck out on remote trip. When I got busted I just got yelled at and wasn't allowed to go on the next trip. Nothing existential was threatened, nobody's salary was paid off.

It doesn't work that way for rich folk schools, the high dollar costs of tuition and the way that exclusivity/elitism is valued means there is gonna be conflict that must be matched. You will have pressure applied to your family to be pushed out, inevitable, not personal just business, don't act new.

Wife had a similar stunt pulled on her by her father. Ruined her prom, got her all tore up inside, had to overcompensate with a $200k wedding. But oh now Chris Rock says it on his set right after he goes into how he looooooves being divorced, it is black excellence. Fuckin rich people trained their kids wrong on purpose last generation (literally for a joke in Chris Rock's case) and now this cohort is repeating the same retarded steps, with less money, without understanding a drat thing about why it happened to them.

Therapist and Gramma want me to back off from post partum depression talk. Ugh, alright I'm good now.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PCR came back; I am officially COVID-free. No idea how.

I'm supposed to be going to my college roommate's bachelor party this weekend and I am apparently not a disease vector but if my wife hasn't fully recovered I gotta stay home anyway so she doesn't get stuck solo-parenting while pregnant AND sick the whole time

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe more a question for the video game makers thread, but has anyone being trying to help their kid to learn how to make video games and programs? My older kid has been interested in making games for a while, and has been doing lots of stuff in MIT's Scratch. Scratch is fantastic and can be used to make some unexpectedly great things, but recently my kid has been asking to learn other non-block coding languages like python or whatever to make games. Unfortunately they bounced off code.org for some reason even though it seems like a good starting point, and also they haven't been enthusiastic about using the python Arcade library even though it looks fairly appropriate. Are there other platforms or tutorials that people have used successfully? Should we just start learning to use Unity already?

As for the wisdom of encouraging this interest, I'm ambivalent. We restrict screen time a lot and I don't think my childhood interest in video games helped me much as a person. However they appear legitimately interested and it's spurring other interests in math so it might be fine? The goal is definitely to develop problem solving skills and not some misguided notion of setting them up for a future career. They've become much less interested in Minecraft recently too, which has been welcome.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

Maybe more a question for the video game makers thread, but has anyone being trying to help their kid to learn how to make video games and programs?

What kind of help do they need? I'd say letting them spend hours trawling articles and videos for ideas and galaxy-braining themselves into programming their visual novel in Icon would be an important life lesson.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I don't have any experience or qualified opinion, but I'd treat it like an interest in carpentry or similar. Focus on what the kid wants to create and have them figure out how to with guidance, which probably means YouTube tutorials nowadays. Only instead of a tree house, it's a MUD or something. I'd be careful of engineer brain if they just learn the tools without anything to use them for.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
get the kid the newest RPG Maker is my suggestion. I think it's on Switch now.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've done some simple platformer stuff with my kids in Gamemaker. The coding is mostly javascript level and there are tons of tutorials. What cool about it is you can export the executables to android devices (but not iPhones/iPads last I checked) which gives it a real cool factor for kids imo.

They also offer beginner classes aimed at kids on https://outschool.com

e: I wish I had time to play with this stuff more, I was building a simple Double Dragon style beat em up set in my neighborhood and had begun a Toronto-specific deck builder too. Alas, maybe in another life.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

This is the first week my wife has been back at work since having the baby. We staggered our leave so this is also my first week dadding solo. I have been pleasantly surprised so far.

I think wife was kind of boring the kiddo staying home all the time. I'm finding it easier to plan stuff to tire her out when it's just me and get longer naps. Nobody tell my wife. :ssh:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

This is the first week my wife has been back at work since having the baby. We staggered our leave so this is also my first week dadding solo. I have been pleasantly surprised so far.

I think wife was kind of boring the kiddo staying home all the time. I'm finding it easier to plan stuff to tire her out when it's just me and get longer naps. Nobody tell my wife. :ssh:

Mom is lucky if she could even walk for the first two months. Doing stuff early on is dad's job.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
ugh why won't this lady just MOVE.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

What kind of help do they need? I'd say letting them spend hours trawling articles and videos for ideas and galaxy-braining themselves into programming their visual novel in Icon would be an important life lesson.
:mad:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

get the kid the newest RPG Maker is my suggestion. I think it's on Switch now.

Another Bill posted:

I've done some simple platformer stuff with my kids in Gamemaker. The coding is mostly javascript level and there are tons of tutorials. What cool about it is you can export the executables to android devices (but not iPhones/iPads last I checked) which gives it a real cool factor for kids imo.

They also offer beginner classes aimed at kids on https://outschool.com

e: I wish I had time to play with this stuff more, I was building a simple Double Dragon style beat em up set in my neighborhood and had begun a Toronto-specific deck builder too. Alas, maybe in another life.
Thanks, these are great suggestions! More time would definitely be nice, for this and in general.

BonHair posted:

I don't have any experience or qualified opinion, but I'd treat it like an interest in carpentry or similar. Focus on what the kid wants to create and have them figure out how to with guidance, which probably means YouTube tutorials nowadays. Only instead of a tree house, it's a MUD or something. I'd be careful of engineer brain if they just learn the tools without anything to use them for.
This is generally good advice too, thanks.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
could learn red stone mechanics on Minecraft

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

ugh why won't this lady just MOVE.

I'm talking like seven months old not newborn phase.

But I see in trying to brag I backhandedly dragged my wife for some reason so I will sit in timeout.

Chad Sexington has issued a correction as of 23:39 on Mar 7, 2023

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

sonatinas posted:

could learn red stone mechanics on Minecraft

You're joking but there's no end to the Minecraft rabbit hole:

I dislike that these books exist and that we have both of them. We got them second hand from other parents that were likely trying to offload them and I look forward to doing the same.

Though probably the most impressive Minecraft-derivative media products are "The Creepier Diaries":

Simultaneously piggy-backing off the popularity of Minecraft and the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, it's so cynical and genius. My kid loves them.

I complain about the excessive Minecraft interest and the whole product ecosystem based on and encouraging it, but must admit I did like getting my Nintendo Powers as a kid.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

loquacius posted:

WELP two-year-old has covid too. We were at least able to keep her safe from it until she was fully vaccinated and boosted and two and a half years old I guess. Still feels like a failure.

We're not even sure where we got it from

our 15 month old got it probably a couple of weekends ago and we only found out when i caught it a few days later and couldn't get out of bed all weekend. very thankful we got her vaxxed at least, all she had was a runny nose.

Thesaurus posted:

New baby is tolerating baby wearing well, unlike his older sister who fought it tooth and nail. It's a game changer. Instead of being glued to the couch for hours i can lead an almost normal life around the house while the baby sleeps sweetly in a fetal position in the Moby wrap on my chest

I tried the wrap once, but my wife made use of it all the time. ended up being given a structured carrier (lile baby 4-season) and bought the overpriced newborn seat and yes, dear god yes being able to carry a baby just makes your life so much better.

also saved our sanity because the kid would not sleep in her crib, probably because she had a milk protein allergy we did not know about until she was older that gave her serious discomfort lying flat, so i carried her every night for about 3 months.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 04:32 on Mar 8, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dreylad posted:

our 15 month old got it probably a couple of weekends ago and we only found out when i caught it a few days later and couldn't get out of bed all weekend. very thankful we got her vaxxed at least, all she had was a runny nose.

I tried the wrap once, but my wife made use of it all the time. ended up being given a structured carrier (lile baby 4-season) and bought the overpriced newborn seat and yes, dear god yes being able to carry a baby just makes your life so much better.

also saved our sanity because the kid would not sleep in her crib, probably because she had a milk protein allergy we did not know about until she was older that gave her serious discomfort lying flat, so i carried her every night for about 3 months.

Baby-wearing was too sweaty to me, although it was convenient otherwise.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my son hit his head on the coffee table doing something he knew was stupid and I think he could hear the urgency in my voice when I said "I'm trying so hard to keep us from going to the ER here, dude." and he did that thing where kids get super serious and said "okay dad. let's sell the table."

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my son hit his head on the coffee table doing something he knew was stupid and I think he could hear the urgency in my voice when I said "I'm trying so hard to keep us from going to the ER here, dude." and he did that thing where kids get super serious and said "okay dad. let's sell the table."

My 5yo repeatedly injuries himself on furniture and tells us we have to get rid of it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
as a toddler, kid got mad at me and said I need to leave and be a dad to different kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

sonatinas posted:

as a toddler, kid got mad at me and said I need to leave and be a dad to different kids.

sounds like kid thinks you're an excellent dad who should share the wealth

few days ago kiddo tried sliding down his bunk bed ladder, it didn't go well and now he has a rung-shaped bruise on his back