Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Rodgers playing behind it and running for his life all season would be p funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shrimpy posted:

Who is also the ex-Packers offensive coordinator. Not that that makes him good but at least he'll be able to install an offense Rodgers knows. Rodgers will audible any play call he doesn't like, so offensive playcaller doesn't even matter much.

The big problem with the Jets is that while they have good skill players at WR and RB, their offensive line is bad.

Hackett didn’t run Lafleur’s offense in Denver, don’t know why you’d expect him to do it in NY. It’s not his offense and he didn’t run it in Green Bay.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Please for the love of God gently caress off into the New York market

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm going to revise my earlier prediction: GB will only get #13 and a conditional 2024 mid-rounder if they also agree to keep a bunch of Rodgers' salary.

I'm also predicting that Rodgers has a Favre-like trajectory with New York: he looks great for half of the season, picks up a bad injury, and then flops in the divisional round of the playoffs. He retires after two seasons with the Jets.

Finally, I'm predicting a 6-11 record for the Packers where Love looks OK™ after the first third of the season, but not good or bad enough to make the extension decision easy.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Woody Johnson and rest of Jets staff is flying to Cali. Packers definitely getting a first if Woody is involved.

Rodgers already said he expected to rework his deal where RG with Green Bay or new team so don’t think Packers will eat money for Jets. Unless it’s a bigger trade.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’ve spent 3+ decades of watching the Lions get obliterated by the Packers after they lucked into having back to back HOF quarterbacks.

All I want is for Rodgers to piss off to the AFC and for Jordan Love to be a wildly mediocre option for Green Bay at QB.

I want this more than anything.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Florio brainworms need to be studied. We must find out why he is the way he is.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1633194427454824454

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why would Zack Wilson’s opinion matter at that point

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Favre didn’t make it to the playoffs with the Jets and neither will Rodgers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

If Rodgers ends up on the Jets, i’d imagine Wilson’s locker will be demolished with a sledgehammer two minutes later and his nameplate will be melted down and shipped to him in a garbage bag with some stamps haphazardly affixed to it.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Will Rodgers care if Wilson sleeps with Rodgers' mom?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Gonz posted:

I’ve spent 3+ decades of watching the Lions get obliterated by the Packers after they lucked into having back to back HOF quarterbacks.

All I want is for Rodgers to piss off to the AFC and for Jordan Love to be a wildly mediocre option for Green Bay at QB.

I want this more than anything.

No way man, I want him to stay and leave the Packers in uncomfortable QB limbo for the next several years, while the Lions whup him so bad he demands they fire everyone in the building named Joseph

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

surf rock posted:

I'm also predicting that Rodgers has a Favre-like trajectory with New York: he looks great for half of the season, picks up a bad injury, and then flops in the divisional round of the playoffs. He retires after two seasons with the Jets.

Close. He will sign with the Vikings, but then retire after getting injured in a car accident with Corey Wootton.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fishing with the fam posted:

Close. He will sign with the Vikings, but then retire after getting injured in a car accident with Corey Wootton.

It is so written in the Eddas.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

tinstaach posted:

No way man, I want him to stay and leave the Packers in uncomfortable QB limbo for the next several years, while the Lions whup him so bad he demands they fire everyone in the building named Joseph

While that does sound hilarious, I simply cannot risk him becoming MVP Rodgers again.

Dude’s got to go.

I don’t care if he ends up in a highly advanced computer simulation of Renaissance Italy. Just so long as he’s out of the NFC and this division.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gonz posted:

While that does sound hilarious, I simply cannot risk him becoming MVP Rodgers again.

Dude’s got to go.

I don’t care if he ends up in a highly advanced computer simulation of Renaissance Italy. Just so long as he’s out of the NFC and this division.

1. That's not gonna happen.

2. If it does, who cares? The Lions' goal is to win a Super Bowl, they're gonna have to beat good teams with good QBs to do that.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You can either
A) win the super bowl
B) have a player with Hey let me finish everyone keeps picking A!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean realistically you will have neither

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Soooooooooooooooo...

The Lions should absolutely sign Lamar Jackson, right? This feels like a golden opportunity for Detroit.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

surf rock posted:

Soooooooooooooooo...

The Lions should absolutely sign Lamar Jackson, right? This feels like a golden opportunity for Detroit.

It's either sign him to a fully guaranteed deal that the Ravens won't match or sign-and-trade 6 and 18 plus probably other stuff for him, right?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

MJeff posted:

It's either sign him to a fully guaranteed deal that the Ravens won't match or sign-and-trade 6 and 18 plus probably other stuff for him, right?

Pretty much. If the Lions signed Lamar, I don't even know how I'd feel. I didnt think I could like that team any more than I already do for a division rival. Adding one of my favorite quarterbacks...

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I really don't know, Goff played this well to close out the season, and the NFL's a cutthroat league, but I don't know if you can tell your QB "Hey man, you were so good last year that we're pretty sure you can't keep up this level of play next season, so we're gonna toss you into the street". It's a move you'd make in Madden but it might affect your team chemistry or how free agents see you as a destination.

I don't know how to square what the Lions have been building, and talk about continuing to build, with changing quarterbacks. And with the draft picks involved it's not just is this team better with Lamar or Goff, it's is this team better with Lamar or Goff and the #1 corner and like the #3 DT in this year's class.

Why couldn't he have just sucked rear end like he was supposed to and made this decision a lot easier???

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Giving up the 18 and next year's hopefully worse pick might be worth it. Either way if they can get him to sign a contract they think he's worse they should go for it.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Hackett didn’t run Lafleur’s offense in Denver, don’t know why you’d expect him to do it in NY. It’s not his offense and he didn’t run it in Green Bay.

If the Jets get Aaron Rodgers, then I'd expect his former OC to run the offense that Aaron Rodgers is most familiar with.

Does he run the LaFleur offense if Rodgers isn't there? Who knows. But if Rodgers is there and Hackett knows the offense, he'd take "being a bad coach" to new heights.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

tinstaach posted:

I really don't know, Goff played this well to close out the season, and the NFL's a cutthroat league, but I don't know if you can tell your QB "Hey man, you were so good last year that we're pretty sure you can't keep up this level of play next season, so we're gonna toss you into the street". It's a move you'd make in Madden but it might affect your team chemistry or how free agents see you as a destination.

I don't know how to square what the Lions have been building, and talk about continuing to build, with changing quarterbacks. And with the draft picks involved it's not just is this team better with Lamar or Goff, it's is this team better with Lamar or Goff and the #1 corner and like the #3 DT in this year's class.

Why couldn't he have just sucked rear end like he was supposed to and made this decision a lot easier???

Nobody is going to be like "oh man, I thought I was gonna play with Goff this year, but now I'm stuck with Lamar Jackson, gently caress this poo poo" lol

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Lions have to at least make an offer to Jackson. They'd be insane not to.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Lamar behind THAT O-line, with Sun God and Jameson Williams would be absolutely demonic.

But I don’t know if their cap situation would permit it at this time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
the nfl salary cap is fake, or like it exists, but is set up in a way where if you really really wanted to and had the liquid capital as an owner, you can kick the can for almost a decade before you need to worry about it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Lmao fields and Jackson in the same division

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

Lmao fields and Jackson in the same division

*gazes in the direction of the Packers defense*

:tif:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Already hard at work. No griping or bitching.

https://twitter.com/cameronwolfe/status/1633191576749867010

Wonder how long it'll take before it all goes to his head like the last two.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gonz posted:

Lamar behind THAT O-line, with Sun God and Jameson Williams would be absolutely demonic.

But I don’t know if their cap situation would permit it at this time.

In a league where you've seen the Saints for years, I don't know how you could still worry about the cap. Ever

If they can make it work, you can

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lamar on the lions with ben and dan running the offense would be so much fun. A treat for football fans around the world.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

surf rock posted:

Nobody is going to be like "oh man, I thought I was gonna play with Goff this year, but now I'm stuck with Lamar Jackson, gently caress this poo poo" lol

I mean, except Goff.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The thing is, Jackson clearly wants a Watson-esque fully guaranteed megadeal. He's a great player, but even the best GM is going to struggle to maintain a competitive roster with that much money going towards one player.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The thing is, Jackson clearly wants a Watson-esque fully guaranteed megadeal. He's a great player, but even the best GM is going to struggle to maintain a competitive roster with that much money going towards one player.

No, how dare you suggest something like that! How dare you!!!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Chris James 2 posted:

In a league where you've seen the Saints for years, I don't know how you could still worry about the cap. Ever

If they can make it work, you can

Like Dexo said, you can not worry about the cap for about 10 years. Eventually all those cans you kicked down the road fiddling with the cap get piled up and you spend 3-4 years in absolute cap hell until you can start over again. The Saints aren't in a good position to compete right now because they're just trying to figure out ways to get under the cap just to cover their current roster, let alone adding the pieces they need to be better. They're lucky they're in a terrible division.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

No, how dare you suggest something like that! How dare you!!!

This is collusion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I sincerely doubt any GM wouldnt be able to maintain a roster with that contract if they wanted to.

As has been clearly shown the cap is only really a problem if you want it to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

Like Dexo said, you can not worry about the cap for about 10 years. Eventually all those cans you kicked down the road fiddling with the cap get piled up and you spend 3-4 years in absolute cap hell until you can start over again. The Saints aren't in a good position to compete right now because they're just trying to figure out ways to get under the cap just to cover their current roster, let alone adding the pieces they need to be better. They're lucky they're in a terrible division.

What your describing right here is how literally every team already operates. Being competitive then entering a rebuild once that window shuts. It’s not a particularly new or even avoidable thing