Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Veryslightlymad posted:

Well, poo. That's certainly an interpretation of the text. Alas, death of the author means it's now true, I guess. drat you Barthes. :argh:

More seriously, it comes down to how I don't think "hard" is a thing worth celebrating. And the kid's actions feel like a kid screaming "I am not a kid".
Yeah apologies for that interpretation, I just don't agree with people putting focus on his behavior being "fake." He's actually engaging in dangerous behavior for real that could escalate and get someone seriously hurt or killed. If one says he's a fake tough guy,
what are they actually saying needs to happen to make it real?

Isentropy posted:

For what it's worth Chris Vernon did a live show after all this, and he knows Ja personally. Apparently Ja Morant knows he's hosed up
Doubling down by posting a gun online right after his possible legal issues went public was certainly a poor choice

Marc Stein on a podcast apparently posted:

Basically the CBA says if there is a firearm on team premises (or on a team plane), that’s an automatic 50-game suspension. That’s why the league is trying to ascertain where was the gun before the Instagram video
Idk if this is legit but this is the first I've heard the NBA is investigating where the gun moved and if it was at a team location. I still don't know how this line of investigation goes anywhere though unless Ja implicates himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bulls should keep jim boylen in a cage next to the practice court. Every time they lose, a bar gets removed until enough bars are gone to allow him to be loosed and run a practice "boylen-style"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, Ja will probably be spared that because unless he was blatant somewhere(which considering his other gently caress ups wouldn't shock me) about it being on the plane, it's trivial to get a gun anywhere in this country.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah apologies for that interpretation, I just don't agree with people putting focus on his behavior being "fake." He's actually engaging in dangerous behavior for real that could escalate and get someone seriously hurt or killed. If one says he's a fake tough guy,
what are they actually saying needs to happen to make it real?

Mmm. You know what? Fair. It's one thing to remember enough about childish posturing to see it for what it is, but it's another thing to fully remember childish posturing and the lengths that can be gone to to maintain the wacky image of maturity you've built up.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bulls should keep jim boylen in a cage next to the practice court. Every time they lose, a bar gets removed until enough bars are gone to allow him to be loosed and run a practice "boylen-style"

Just to be safe they could also do the Major League thing and Jim is fully nude covered in stickers they remove one by one

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
50 game suspension for just having fun dancing with a tiny gun, but draymond gets away scot-free after committing genocide with an IDF assault rifle, smh

we can all see what's going on here

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

ja morant is very funny and im a lifelong grizzlies fan till lebron gets back from injury

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/11l1hau/who_was_lebron_talking_about_when_saying_bronny/

quote:

Lebron was clearly talking about multiple players seen throughout the day but something had to inspire him to actually post the tweet.

He posted the tweet at 10:43 PM (Central time), the only game still going on at this point was the Pelicans-Kings Game. This means to me that the breaking point was something that happened around that time.

At 10:36 the kings sent out a tweet about the Kevin Huerter steal with 4:35 left in the third and the quarter ended at 10:48. After 10:36 there was a full time out followed by Kira lewis Free Throws. This is the first time I would think we are within the Tweets time span

Based off the timing of the tweet it was probably something negative happening between 3:43-1:00 left in the third.

To start with

3:43 Kira Lewis Missed his second free throw

2:55 Trey Lyles Missed 3 pt shot (I don’t think it’s this because he just scored a 27 footer 30 seconds earlier)

2:47 Sabonis Fouls Hayes (I don’t think Lebron thinks bronny is better than sabonis)

2:25 Dellacedova misses (I hope Lebron ain’t dissing delly)

2:12 Naji Marshall misses 3

1:59 Brandon Ingram fouls (Bronny not better than Bi)

1:54 Malik Monk misses

1:41 Jaxson Hayes misses slightly contested layup

1:09 Kira Lewis misses open driving layup (not hitting rim)

Overall Kira Lewis had a bad night 1/7 0/3 from 3 1/2 on free throws, so I think he is who Lebron was calling out

They also play the same positions so it makes it more likely in my mind

It could be delly who also had a bad night but I don’t think Lebron would do him dirty like that

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

*watching a superstar lose a fight with shannon sharpe so bad he starts acting like gilbert arenas*

uhh guhhh bwuuhh will the league office please take serious corrective action uhhh

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

*hands u a bag of tools and a small tank of air* at the bottom of this lake u will find a broken punch clock, you have 10 minutes of air and the blessings of the greg popovich coaching tree. god have mercy on your soul

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Me (a cop?): we need more gun control
You (not a cop?): yeah no kidding Ja was showing really poor trigger discipline there

Ghost Dog posted:

*watching a superstar lose a fight with shannon sharpe so bad he starts acting like gilbert arenas*

uhh guhhh bwuuhh will the league office please take serious corrective action uhhh
Could you loving imagine what Twitter would have been like if the Gilbert Arenas incident happened in 2019 instead of 2009 when it was still fairly new?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

NieR Occomata posted:

Even if he gets suspended for 50 games, here’s the “punishment” he’s in for: staying in the finest hotels, eating the best foods, and partying every night as he watches professional nba games from one of the best seats available, for the better part of a year. He’s in for a life of hedonistic luxury while still, still making 7-8 figures (depending on the value of his endorsement deals) as he jersets around in private planes. That’s the worst case scenario he is in for. That’s the life that people are desperately hand-wringing is “too punitive”.

i never really thought about it like that..

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Eagerly refreshing the eCoachBasketball Youtube for Jim Boylen's suicides video

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

Could you loving imagine what Twitter would have been like if the Gilbert Arenas incident happened in 2019 instead of 2009 when it was still fairly new?

Gilbert already was on the forefront of the athlete blogging and proto-live streaming about their day and people turned on him pretty quick because of how insufferable he was turning

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Gilbert already was on the forefront of the athlete blogging and proto-live streaming about their day and people turned on him pretty quick because of how insufferable he was turning
Oh I remember that - IIRC he was the player who wouldn't shut up about his self-proclaimed nickname of The Hibachi Grill.

I was thinking more about how if Twitter had the mass reach that it did now what the reaction would have been like to a Gilbert Arenas incident in an NBA locker room. Of course Facebook already had massive general use by 2009 but having it happen in 2019 would have just meant even more thinly-disguised racial slurs over there.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 7, 2023

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Or Stephon Marbury eating Vaseline during a mental breakdown on a 24 hour livestream

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Traxis posted:

Or Stephon Marbury eating Vaseline during a mental breakdown on a 24 hour livestream
haha jesus I completely forgot about that

or what about Monta Ellis tearing ankle ligaments because he couldn't control a moped

EDIT: Malice in The Palace would have caused the Twitter server farm to explode

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Digital Athlete Rankings:

1. Melo
2. Starbury
3. Vernon Maxwell
4.Paul Pierce
5. Gilbert

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

uggy posted:

who will think of the sanctity of the contract

Please

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
situtation is a mess, the legal issues are going to be resolved with money and lawyers, NBA just wants to look good at the end, but the constant talk of "he's just a kid doing dumb kid things" about a mega wealthy 24 year old is exhausting.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

WhyteRyce posted:

Been awhile since I thought about Gilbert's posting glory days

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

go to bed then

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Arenas kept getting checks from his 2008 contract until october 2016.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Arenas kept getting checks from his 2008 contract until october 2016.
He's no Bobby Bonilla

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The wizards are under what i call the wizard’s curse. They will only be good when they reclaim the Bullets name

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Dejan Bimble posted:

The wizards are under what i call the wizard’s curse. They will only be good when they reclaim the Bullets name

and move back to baltimore

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghost Dog posted:

Yes they can move next to the aquarium

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Let's not forget that there was a weird CBA thing at the time involving 2nd-round picks and contracts that led to Gilbert going to Washington in the first place.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
IMO assessing a "fair" suspension for Ja depends a lot on what he's saying & doing behind closed doors in his interaction with team reps, league reps, etc. Ignoring the internal copland debate, it's fair to say intervention-type actions will be most beneficial for Ja & his circle. I'd also think some time away from the court to really work through the what/why of the teen-punch and gun-stagram is necessary to make sure this rude awakening prompts some demonstrable growth. Handing out a punitive suspension of X games before seeing what Ja says & does would be a very flawed approach (note that this take is assuming no additional revelations re: how the gun was procured/transported).

Lmao good god almighty

Cropped version of this should replace probe avatars in NBA threads.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

TIRED: Cop Voice
WIRED: HR Voice

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ghost Dog posted:

First Mariner Arena or whatever it's called now would crumble under the weight of having spectators for anything other then monster truck rallies

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crazy Ted posted:

Let's not forget that there was a weird CBA thing at the time involving 2nd-round picks and contracts that led to Gilbert going to Washington in the first place.

Arenas Rule! Which has nothing to do with bringing guns into the locker room.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
👮‍♂️✋🔫⛹🏿‍♂️

When youre saving lives

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
It’s not an automatic 50 game suspension. That’s just the precedent set by Agent Zero’s case.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Of course what makes the Arenas incident even wilder in retrospect is that the player he flashed his guns at went on to commit a murder after his NBA days were over.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

iirc Javaris threatened to shoot him over a card game on the team plane so Gilbert called him out for that by putting out an array of guns on a table and leaving a note saying to pick one.

Calling out a future murderer for being too scared to shoot you and offering him some guns.

https://twitter.com/nikolaesthetic/status/1633144713531256849

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Where is andrew wiggins?

edit; after hearing kerr talk it feels like someone in his family is dying

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 7, 2023

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I just went to lunch with my coworkers and Ja's situation came up in discussion, and let me say, that was some good immersion therapy because I am now immune to bad Ja takes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jokic empty-stat padding his way to the best record in the West on a team without even a single other all-star.

Despicable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, he should be more like the guy averaging 33 points per game if he doesn't want to be accused of padding.