Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kid sinister posted:

Even more crapper construction!

Plastic seat and peeling wallpaper decal trim; 5/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Splicer posted:

You slip, foot goes through hole, gravity is now vigorously altering the position of every part of your body except for the foot that's stuck in a hole and potentially even hooked behind the non-hole upper half of the riser.

e: you don't have to even get your foot all the way through the hole if you pivot the right way for your toes to get caught behind the arch.

I've never lived for any length of time anywhere that had stairs like that, but I've also never stubbed my toe on a riser hard enough that I think I'd have that problem. Just from the angles I'd hit my shin on the next step up first. Slipping has me either falling up the stairs if I'm ascending--ie falling forward--and sliding down the steps on my face; or slipping away from the risers if I'm descending. I just don't think it's a real problem beyond the stairs version of that thing where you, like, compulsively visualize an opening door catching your toenails and bending them all back at once.

Or at least it's not a problem compared to stairs-related head injuries.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 5, 2023

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Outdoor stairs have open risers all the time, so do metal stairs.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

an opening door catching your toenails and bending them all back at once.

This actually happened to me once. Bent the nail on my big toe straight up at a 90 degree angle. It suuuucked.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Khizan posted:

This actually happened to me once. Bent the nail on my big toe straight up at a 90 degree angle. It suuuucked.

Same, misjudged the top step while carrying a couple of boxes and stubbed the hell out of my big toe. Nail turned black and fell off the next day. I'm just proud of myself for setting the boxes down and not letting them drop.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm the rando pipe sticking out of the wall.

I'm pretty sure that wall is part of the kitchen, look at the outlet placement. The random pipe is a future sink drain. Having said that, that archway would really not belong in the cabinet configuration

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

slurm posted:

Outdoor stairs have open risers all the time, so do metal stairs.

Yeah tons of places have open risers

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Things I found at the art supply store yesterday.

Switches

Employee only area, maybe six feet tall.

Some kind of air vent? It was entirely carpeted inside and took a sharp turn off to the right and down.

An open passthrough between the upstairs area and the stairwell. The framed thing is an Independent Order of Odd Fellow's banner. I can't find anything about the history of the building. It may have been a meeting hall at some point.

An old stage (?) and a pegboard employee booth that doesn't reach the ceiling.

I think this must exit onto the roof? Maybe?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

kid sinister posted:

Even more crapper construction!

It's time for a Penny cartoon!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PainterofCrap posted:

The main issue was having to vent down under the floor & (somewhere) at basement level because the entry stairs are right outside that window and putting a vent ejecting greasy poo poo directly onto a flight of stairs seemed unwise.

Yeah but imagine what you could do to solicitors.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but imagine what you could do to solicitors.
You can already stare them down through the window while casually sharpening your kitchen knives.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

brugroffil posted:

Yeah tons of places have open risers

Yeah tons of places were built before they were illegal by code as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I know. Efficiency and cost cutting has killed all those little works of art and craftsmanship.

For example, this is a sewerage pumping station in Crossness in the UK and it just blows my mind.

Actually it's a sewage-pumping station, something you need for sewerage.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Sewage: the poo poo in pipes
Sewerage: the pipes n poo poo

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Things I found at the art supply store yesterday.

This is some Backrooms-level poo poo :stare:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Some kind of air vent? It was entirely carpeted inside and took a sharp turn off to the right and down.
Cat access?

When my dad rented a house on a hillside without a cat door he cut a hole in the floor underneath one of the kitchen cabinets, placed a plank as a ramp leading to the ground below, took the cupboard door off and replaced it with a little curtain.

When he moved out he put the floor section back in and re-mounted the cupboard door.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

GotLag posted:

Cat access?

When my dad rented a house on a hillside without a cat door he cut a hole in the floor underneath one of the kitchen cabinets, placed a plank as a ramp leading to the ground below, took the cupboard door off and replaced it with a little curtain.

When he moved out he put the floor section back in and re-mounted the cupboard door.

Reminds me of the door for returning racing pigeons.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GotLag posted:

Cat access?

Look at all the sharp impact marks on the trim, near center, above and below the hole. Someone shoves something in there regularly and it bangs on the edges when they miss a bit. I'm thinking storage for some metal thing that sits out in the store all day and gets tucked away at night.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

massive dildo hole, got it

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

Look at all the sharp impact marks on the trim, near center, above and below the hole. Someone shoves something in there regularly and it bangs on the edges when they miss a bit. I'm thinking storage for some metal thing that sits out in the store all day and gets tucked away at night.

I cannot emphasize how weird the layout in the store is. It's an absolute maze full of odd little rooms, randomly sized shelves, uneven floors and ceilings, and just about every building material you can imagine. This was in the stairwell, about knee height, under a shelf that someone built over half the stairs. It may very well end up in a bin in the basement somewhere, but if so it's pretty hard to get to.

Google has some interior pics, including a few 360 views

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
An art supply store that is an art project in itself?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
It does have some outsider art vibes, but there's very little ornamentation. It's all utilitarian and slapdash. I should go back and take more pictures (and buy more art supplies).

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

*grasping at straws* well at least it's symmetrical?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

When you lied on your resume about your 3d software experience.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Who hasn't wanted to live in a toddler's drawing of a fire station?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I mean, I kinda dig the accents.

They need to be garishly painted and on the front of the Temple of Zeus, but yeah.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
This is what you get when someone complains about how every modern house looks the same and they don't build em like they used to... But the person is still cheap and still goes with all the standard building materials.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It looks like an 1850s general store and a McMansion had a hideous baby.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

corgski posted:

I'm assuming that's exactly what this building was, and then it was repurposed.
God I hope so.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

corgski posted:

Or a strip mall anchor

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Enos Cabell posted:

It looks like an 1850s general store and a McMansion had a hideous baby.
The first three times I looked at it, I thought, "Looks like a pretty standard store." Then I realized it was a house. I still think the facade looks great, but I worry about the lack of natural light on the second floor.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I don't hate it, but it's not good either.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

kid sinister posted:

I don't hate it, but it's not good either.
Now there's a turn of phrase that brings back bad memories.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Somewhere, a 'revitalized' downtown is missing its soon-to-fail combo Rita's/stationery store.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Splicer posted:

You slip, foot goes through hole, gravity is now vigorously altering the position of every part of your body except for the foot that's stuck in a hole and potentially even hooked behind the non-hole upper half of the riser.

e: you don't have to even get your foot all the way through the hole if you pivot the right way for your toes to get caught behind the arch.

Do you live on the set of a Nickelodeon game show? I can't imagine going up the stairs on a deck or porch and any of that poo poo happening unless Pennywise gets involved.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Cat Hatter posted:

Do you live on the set of a Nickelodeon game show? I can't imagine going up the stairs on a deck or porch and any of that poo poo happening unless Pennywise gets involved.

I live on the set of What Would You Do?, yes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This isn't exactly crappy, it just struck me as a bit strange.

It kinda looks like 3 buildings, but going past it it seems to be one large building. Maybe they wanted to add height while maintaining the character of the neighbourhood?

Another one a block later. From head on it seems to be 3 buildings, but at this angle you can see it is just one.

Was there a time when this was an architecture trend? Or are these buildings metastasizing and we're just being dosed by the SCP foundation so we don't notice anything strange.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's pretty common for design guidelines or boards providing discretionary approval of projects to encourage poo poo like "breaking up the massing" because heaven forbid anyone perceive a large building. Everybody, architects and residents alike, think stuff like this looks like poo poo. I think only a couple hundred people in the US even like it, it just so happens those people are the ones sitting on those boards and commissions approving these projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It looks like a normal building to me.

e: Oh if it's only liked by a few hundred Americans then that pretty much proves it's something normal.