Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Badger of Basra posted:

"boring-rear end killjoy" seems to describe most of FF14 twitter

I saw someone on twitter complaining about how they aren't doing a good enough of with player retention because there's not enough content, with many replies agreeing. And I'm just kind of confused. I'll admit I didn't start truely playing until 5.3 so I haven't been around that long but so far the patches and mid patches seem to generally have the same amount of content they did back then. Do other people feel like there's less content than usual, I haven't really heard that complaint until now. On top of that FF14 not concerning itself with player retention like WoW does is a GOOD thing

Also regarding Hildibrand, I know I've said it before but it bares repeating: the decision to make Nashu as stupid and goofy and Hildibrand himself is really what makes the whole thing work so well IMO.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Some people just want like infinite content.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's less content, but the only fair way to judge that is to reach all the way back to Stormblood, which feels extremely bad faith imo.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It seems to come up every expansion. I started playing about halfway through StB and heard it then, again in ShB (which was a touch short due to the pandemic, but still had plenty) and am hearing it again now. I think it's basically this:

Waffleman_ posted:

Some people just want like infinite content.

They're looking for that borderline impossible, yet absolutely addicting, grind of the battlepass. Gods forbid we ever get that in FFXIV in a more 'faithful' manner than the PvP Series.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
fewer absolute hours of content maybe, but more unique varieties of content, which matters more in the long term.

most of the "no content" complainers have been playing forever and have been 100% caught up on everything forever, which over this long might not be so healthy

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There's never enough content for true addicts and FF14 updates 3-4 times a year vs WoW's 1-2(or worse.) I guess you could argue the size of the updates, though WoW also lets a lot of legacy content get badly outdated if not outright abandoned and broken by contrast.

I imagine a lot of content whiners think it should be possible to have devs churn out weekly or bi-weekly content, even if they wouldn't admit it. It's a nice dream but uh, it takes dramatically different standards to achieve that if it isn't outright impossible with modern game development. Maybe people were spoiled by older FPS/RTS community content and how often you could find something new to do but by definition those didn't have too many guaranteed quality checks.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
a stated goal from the devs is that they want people to feel like they can take breaks between patches and play at their own pace, and that's a very good dynamic to have and leads to a very healthy playerbase imo. you don't need to stress about player retention if you're confident those players will keep coming back to the game, and given that the game was so popular at expansion launch they had to turn off signups and limit the amount of logged-in players for what felt like weeks i don't think they have to stress about that at all

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A big reason I like XIV compared to other service games (which an MMO technically is, I suppose) is that it doesn't care if I don't log in every day.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

I saw someone on twitter complaining about how they aren't doing a good enough of with player retention because there's not enough content, with many replies agreeing. And I'm just kind of confused. I'll admit I didn't start truely playing until 5.3 so I haven't been around that long but so far the patches and mid patches seem to generally have the same amount of content they did back then. Do other people feel like there's less content than usual, I haven't really heard that complaint until now. On top of that FF14 not concerning itself with player retention like WoW does is a GOOD thing

Also regarding Hildibrand, I know I've said it before but it bares repeating: the decision to make Nashu as stupid and goofy and Hildibrand himself is really what makes the whole thing work so well IMO.

I tend to see this from players who joined in Shadowbringers and had years upon years of content to go back and revisit and classes to level so it felt like the game had ENDLESS CONTENT but now they're caught up with everything they ever would want to touch so it seems like it's low content

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People crave the allure of the all-consuming omni-game that has literally everything you could ever want so it's the only game you would ever need. In reality, this never works and is not a terribly healthy impulse to chase.

When I get bored of grinding poo poo out in FFXIV, I just play a different game for a few weeks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Waffleman_ posted:

A big reason I like XIV compared to other service games (which an MMO technically is, I suppose) is that it doesn't care if I don't log in every day.

Yeah. 100%. I've barely played since December and I haven't even touched 6.3 as I've been back on my Genshin bullshit, but I'm not even worried because that content will still be around when I show up and do it and I'm not going to be missing out or behind the power curve.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I bet they havent' even cleared stormblood eureka yet

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Vitamean posted:

the hairstyle drops from accursed horde bags in deep dungeon - most likely the higher quality ones found in the later floors.

the good news is it's tradeable, if you're prepared to spend a lot of cash.

I got one from bronze bags. Also the marketboard prices are already below a million gil now, so just buy it if you don't want to do Deep Dungeons

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I spend a lot of time saying to myself, don't just log into xiv and waste time, play one of the many other games you want to play, and I still fail at that loads. So I really don't mind some content droughts!

On a completely unrelated note I recently started collecting BLU spells...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kashuno posted:

I tend to see this from players who joined in Shadowbringers and had years upon years of content to go back and revisit and classes to level so it felt like the game had ENDLESS CONTENT but now they're caught up with everything they ever would want to touch so it seems like it's low content

I've hit that a couple of times, when I finish my big grind goals like getting every crafting job to 90 or managing to overcome the boredom and get another ARR relic weapon. I find in those moments it can be easy to lose perspective.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Tamba posted:

I got one from bronze bags. Also the marketboard prices are already below a million gil now, so just buy it if you don't want to do Deep Dungeons

they made this game too easy 👀

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
What's the ilvl of the next step of the relic quest?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The weapon is 630.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've seen a lot of weeners mad that the relic step is just a tomestone dump, instead of some 5000 FATE hell grind

probably the same people who complain that they can't get gear for all their 19 jobs from savage raids

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

what better way to encourage "do content" than by making it a currency you get from doing most any content

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would be lying if I said a little part of me didn't wish there was bespoke content associated with it, but also this is a lot easier.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Isn't PvP infinite content?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alxprit posted:

Isn't PvP infinite content?

Them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2IZbbuFxWg

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Waffleman_ posted:

I've got over 1600 days of playtime and only a single combat class at 90, even if the entire dev team got hit by a bus, I've probably got close to a decade of stuff to do

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Onean posted:

Oh my god, Grenoldt and Mowen's relationship is just as much of a disaster as Gerolt and Rowena's, but for a completely different reason. :allears:

They're perfect tbh

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Granted there is something a little special about playing new content within the first couple of days, like a grand shared experience. But after that, there’s really no rush at all to playing the content at whatever pace you want.

I guess things like Bozja were better when that was end game? Not sure, haven’t played it since then. But Eureka is still pretty populated even after all this time, so not sure any content becomes more unpleasant over time as interest in that specific thing fades.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

30 day login streak reward: Namazu Pajamazu

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

:namazu:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vitamean posted:

what better way to encourage "do content" than by making it a currency you get from doing most any content

It's a no-win situation and there will be complaining no matter what happens. If it's a fate grind, people will complain. If it's a dungeon/raid grind, people will complain about which dungeons/raids are chosen. If it's a light grind, people are going to find the one optimal route and refuse to do anything else.

The tomestone dumb allows it to be something you can work on very passively. I'm sure there are 500 youtube videos out there "FASTEST WAY TO GRIND TOMESTONES FOR RELIC" and poo poo like that, but gently caress those people.

Personally, I don't mind it just being a tomestone dump because it allows me to just slowly accumulate more relics instead of just grinding the same things again and again.

While I think the HW relic chain is the best its been, there are still steps that are annoying.

For me, the thing that makes the relic special is the questline - not the grind itself. This is why the StB/ShB relic chains are the worst imo - they don't have much of a questline story and are just secondary to the Eureka/Bozja questlines.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 7, 2023

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

As a Viera, if it’s possible to delete the ears for the duration of the emote, do that. If that’s not possible or it takes more than 2 days of effort, I’m just… not gonna use it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

broken pixel posted:

As a Viera, if it’s possible to delete the ears for the duration of the emote, do that. If that’s not possible or it takes more than 2 days of effort, I’m just… not gonna use it

It doesn't really look great on any race so you aren't missing out. They should have added the cheek rub instead imho

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Arist posted:

People crave the allure of the all-consuming omni-game that has literally everything you could ever want so it's the only game you would ever need. In reality, this never works and is not a terribly healthy impulse to chase.

When I get bored of grinding poo poo out in FFXIV, I just play a different game for a few weeks.

this is funny because I play a lot (like 1-2 hours a night) for a dad with kids and there's like a ton of content I'd love to do. Part of it is still playing catchup since November of 2021, but there are so many grinds to get shiny things that you can pick your activity.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Dragongem posted:

this is funny because I play a lot (like 1-2 hours a night) for a dad with kids and there's like a ton of content I'd love to do. Part of it is still playing catchup since November of 2021, but there are so many grinds to get shiny things that you can pick your activity.

Yeah. If you are playing at a casual level of an hour or two a night, skipping some nights, then FFXIV can be that omni-forever game.

Back when I used to do freelance work, it was not uncommon for me to regularly have a few weeks or a month of unemployment mixed in and during those times I definitely was clocking in big hours into the game. If you're someone like that, then yeah, the game is going to run out of content.

But no game will last for a person playing 6-8+ hours a day, every day.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

broken pixel posted:

Not really, I'm not sure if I want to do the new crafting quests unless there is a super cool reward either.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
there's a mount, music, and getting to see the questline.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

broken pixel posted:

Didn't they make it so you can do the emote without having the ears spawn?

Or is this just to prevent the text from being shown in the log?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Clerical Terrors posted:

Didn't they make it so you can do the emote without having the ears spawn?

Or is this just to prevent the text from being shown in the log?

That prevents the text in the log.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

what armor is this

I thought it was, in order
-castrum abania (no)
-pld 70 af body (no)
-babil body (no)

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Vitamean posted:

what armor is this

I thought it was, in order
-castrum abania (no)
-pld 70 af body (no)
-babil body (no)

Gazelleskin fending. Gazelleskin healing and Atrociraptor casting share the model, too.

Draxion fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

drat this club is already popping before it even opens

Also can't wait to find out the full context for this