Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nerdlord Actual posted:

(22M)(47F) I overheard my mother say she is going to kick my sister out because of her mental health

Comments are all telling him to get a jump on mom to invite sis to live with him.

jesus. I can't imagine a parent knowing their child attempted suicide and still being like "Mental illness isn't real and she needs to harden up, kick her out." That's just evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FMguru posted:

AAM just posted one that left me giggling

Can I ask coworkers to stop introducing me as my dad’s kid?

Awww, poor nepo baby. Hey if you want to work someplace where people aren't constantly referring you as someone's kid, you could maybe get a job at one of the ten thousand law offices in the country that your dad doesn't own?

He's going to have to get out of town at least if he wants that, he'll be known as "lawyer's son" until the last judge that knows his father retires.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gnossiennes posted:

nah it's definitely Pnarlet

Varlet. Have at thee!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
today I bring you a blown blood vessel

Tomorrow, who knows

AITA for telling my friend that she can't expect us to drop everything for her?

quote:

I have a friend, "Victoria" (30F) who I love dearly but she has a quirk that I cannot stand. Victoria is notoriously indecisive. Sometimes it can be avoided, others not much.

The last big point of contention was 5 years ago, when she got married. People took off work, booked flights, etc...all for her to change her mind just months before the wedding. Both times, there was no emergency or reason to change the date. She just found a better venue and it was still early enough to get deposits back on the original, so she did it. Of course, people were upset. And once again, a lot of people couldn't come to the new date. A few of us tried to tell her to manage her expectations. Victoria just kept saying it was her special day, she could do with it what she wanted. And what's worse is, two friends in our group supported this behavior.

We've had some minor issues where we'll start planning group trips, only for her to back out or want to change everything. We never lose money, but it's still annoying. And still, we resolved this by basically planning everything and telling her where to show up.

Cut to the next time that's not possible, this year. Victoria is pregnant with her first kid. She helped plan the shower and picked the venue (a friend's house), date, etc. This time we triple checked that this is what she wanted. She said yes. The shower is supposed to be in 2 weeks. Then...she changed her mind. She wanted to change the venue and the date.

Once again, several people can't come. And this time, I'm included. My husband and I have an anniversary trip planned. Non-refundable tickets and resort accommodations. We're also going to be somewhere that doesn't allow technology.

​Victoria asked me to reschedule and I said I can't, I'm sorry, but I'll send a gift. She got really upset and said she wanted me there. I sympathized but said I had this trip planned for over a year. She then mentioned how many other people can't come. I pointed out maybe it's a sign to keep the shower on the same date, same venue, etc. Especially as our friend is still willing to host. Victoria tried to pull the same old "it's my special day, you only get one baby shower, etc". I got fed up and told her that she is well within her rights to change the date, but that it is inconsiderate to constantly do this last minute. I pointed out while she's free to do what she wants, she has to stop getting mad at others for having lives and not dropping everything for her. Victoria began to cry and hung up.

Our friend group is divided. Some think I should've just let her be upset, she'd get over it in time. That it wasn't the place to bring up my issue with her indecisive nature. Others have told me that I did the right thing. So, AITA?

Imagine being that kid with that mom.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Midnight Voyager posted:

jesus. I can't imagine a parent knowing their child attempted suicide and still being like "Mental illness isn't real and she needs to harden up, kick her out." That's just evil.

hopefully mom segues smoothly from "she needs to get over her depression" to "i can't believe she stopped talking to me over this one little thing" to "it was so long ago, why can't she let bygones be bygones"

such a vile piece of poo poo deserves a lifetime of pain and regret

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

teen witch posted:

Tomorrow, who knows

A few months later: "My friend changed her mind about the child being born in June and now wants to keep it inside until September. She's very angry that the child is not willing to alter its plans."

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

teen witch posted:

you only get one baby shower

Hmmm.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

teen witch posted:

Tomorrow, who knows

Why are some people like this?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

hopefully mom segues smoothly from "she needs to get over her depression" to "i can't believe she stopped talking to me over this one little thing" to "it was so long ago, why can't she let bygones be bygones"

such a vile piece of poo poo deserves a lifetime of pain and regret

my little sis once got the courage/fortitude to tell my mom she was struggling with anxiety/depression, and my mom called me the next day to complain about how my sis had the gall to tell her, and how "you know how she is" and how she was probably doing it for attention and all that. I spent like an hour literally crying on the phone begging my mom to reconsider (since I have my own mental health issues, not that I ever shared them with my mom, so I totally knew where my sis was coming from and my mom reacting in this manner was horrifying). I mean that's hardly a unique story, but it's incredibly sad that some people just aren't willing to believe their own children about these things. At least the bro seems okay with taking the sis in.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

it's about power and control: "I'M in charge of everyone else's schedule, ME!"

i imagine it's the same sort of rush people get from showing up 3 hours late to everything

Cloacamazing! posted:

A few months later: "My friend changed her mind about the child being born in June and now wants to keep it inside until September. She's very angry that the child is not willing to alter its plans."

i mean if twins can hang out for 9 extra months why can't the kid wait a bit

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Clocks posted:

my little sis once got the courage/fortitude to tell my mom she was struggling with anxiety/depression, and my mom called me the next day to complain about how my sis had the gall to tell her, and how "you know how she is" and how she was probably doing it for attention and all that. I spent like an hour literally crying on the phone begging my mom to reconsider (since I have my own mental health issues, not that I ever shared them with my mom, so I totally knew where my sis was coming from and my mom reacting in this manner was horrifying). I mean that's hardly a unique story, but it's incredibly sad that some people just aren't willing to believe their own children about these things. At least the bro seems okay with taking the sis in.

My family brushed off my mental struggles, but the second suicidal ideation entered the picture, they all went "Oh poo poo, we've been ignoring a real problem" and turned around on it. I can't imagine what I would have done if they hadn't.

Hope you and your sis are better. :smith:

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 7, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Clocks posted:

sorry to hear that, i hope you've got other people who care more about you than your mom. fortunately for me, everyone in my family considers mental health issues to be pretty goddamn real. just takes a few suicides is all :/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sullat posted:

He's going to have to get out of town at least if he wants that, he'll be known as "lawyer's son" until the last judge that knows his father retires.
I admit that my nepotistic family connections give me all sorts of advantages over other people pursuing a career in law. What I'm asking is: is there a way to make the one, singular disadvantage (the way people always introduce or refer to me as "Pnurtis's Son") disappear? It's so unfair to me, to refer to me as Pnurtis Jr. when all I'm doing is trading on the Pnurtis name to get ahead in life.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I'm the main character of life, and the world stops and starts at my convenience.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for confronting my neighbours about the number of baths they’re taking?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

In Epcot they have the countries of the world and the staff of each of the pavilions are from the country in question. My wife is very much a Disney nerd and spent a year in Florida doing exactly that. She described it as having to be Professionally British.

I don't know if they still do it, but every year around Christmas they would give a book of vouchers to the staff. These vouchers would give ridiculous discounts for family visiting, like 90% off accommodation and free dining, that sort of thing. Staff can get friends and family into the park for free.

What it meant was that I could take a 2 week holiday in Disney world for about £1,000 all in including flights.

My wife however is one of those meticulous planets of Disney holidays. You could start booking fast passes at 6 months prior to the holiday and she would be online at midnight EST to ensure she could book the rides and dining she wanted.

We had an agreement, she plans the first week how she wanted, we then do things my way, completely off the cuff and nothing planned for the second.

I can understand what it's like to be forced to an itinerary for a holiday like that, but I was also happy to let her go off and do rope drop and I would meet up with her later.

I wish I had another point to this story but unfortunately I cannot remember a lot of that holiday due to being considerably drunk on the cheap for the whole 2 weeks.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Foo Diddley posted:

sorry to hear that, i hope you've got other people who care more about you than your mom. fortunately for me, everyone in my family considers mental health issues to be pretty goddamn real. just takes a few suicides is all :/

I know a family who tragically lost a daughter to mental health issues, drug abuse and eventual suicide.

To summarise their beliefs regarding mental health, I'll just say they still idolise Reagan.

Some brain-worms just burrow too deep.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

8 hours? Beat that fictional guy.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Beachcomber posted:

8 hours? Beat that fictional guy.

No "longest" doesn't mean duration.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

teen witch posted:

Imagine remaining friends with this woman and putting up with this for a half decade.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Midnight Voyager posted:

Maybe the suicidal kid has bad vibes. Unpleasant to be around.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Your feelings are cringe ewwwwww

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Mental illness & spineless family/friends?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Tsietisin posted:

My wife however is one of those meticulous planets of Disney holidays.

Venus up in here all "OK now right after the teacups we go to the Matterhorn" while Jupiter's like "whatever, I just want a fuckin dole whip"

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Venus up in here all "OK now right after the teacups we go to the Matterhorn" while Jupiter's like "whatever, I just want a fuckin dole whip"

I'm with Jupiter

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

SyNack Sassimov posted:

"Saturn devouring his dole whip" by Goya

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Space Mountain must be pretty disappointing

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What is a dole whip?

I haven't been to a Disney theme park in almost 3 decades.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

edogawa rando posted:

What is a dole whip?

I haven't been to a Disney theme park in almost 3 decades.

Pineapple soft serve. It's good.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

edogawa rando posted:

What is a dole whip?

My daughter went down there with a friend last year and from what I understand it was the highlight of the visit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

What is a dole whip?

It's a magical pineapple soft serve you can get at the dole plantation on Honolulu. Which I guess disney has a lovely "we flew the pineapples in so they're not quite so fresh" version of at the park.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

greazeball posted:

Space Mountain must be pretty disappointing

Ask Ric Flair

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I want this, gently caress

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Motronic posted:

It's a magical pineapple soft serve you can get at the dole plantation on Honolulu. Which I guess disney has a lovely "we flew the pineapples in so they're not quite so fresh" version of at the park.

Nah, it's the same thing because it's all made from a Dole dry premix.

And at some parts of Disney you can add rum.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I know a guy who’s daughter attempted suicide. He refused to let her move in with him while she got back on her feet because it would cut into his booze budget

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that. I mean technically it could be true but I wouldn't believe her for a second.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Nah, it's the same thing because it's all made from a Dole dry premix.

And at some parts of Disney you can add rum.

gently caress, I'm making this

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Failed Imagineer posted:

gently caress, I'm making this

Here you go:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/dole-4-4-lb-pineapple-soft-serve-mix-case/380SSDOLPINE.html

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Gracias

E: well actually nah I'll just make my own more delicious version with my ice cream machine and add a looot of kraken rum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Gracias

E: well actually nah I'll just make my own more delicious version with my ice cream machine and add a looot of kraken rum

Crack and rum you say?