Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

im going to keep posting this dogshit comic unless you all shut up

there's no downside here. This isn't a good comic but it's not worse than a lot of other comics posted here. In some ways it's better because each page is short.

And before anyone asks, yes, there are comics here I really like. Chako, Kill Six Billion Demons, Swan Boy, He is a Good Boy, are probably my favorites in the thread right now. I'm definitely excited when I see a new post with any of them.

Stardust is done, but I went from hating it to really liking it because it was just so absolutely baffling and his response to problems is so disproportionate and, well, you all read it you all know why it's so good.

Chako's probably my favorite, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I had an idea for a Minecraft comic once and kind of daydreamed about being able to do it for real but 1) I don't want to work on poo poo other than BSF until it's over and I can finally die and 2) I saw that they had an official comic already and I couldn't really figure out what the gently caress it was about or who it was for and now I'm kind of just confused about why they went with this person for it. Like Minecraft is a game where you build poo poo and protect idiot villagers from gray supremacists and you fight a dragon and the embodiment of entropy with a sword. It is a game for hyperactive children (and adult cartoonists I guess). I do not understand how Sarah Graley's aesthetic applies to any of it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Fortis posted:

I had an idea for a Minecraft comic once and kind of daydreamed about being able to do it for real but 1) I don't want to work on poo poo other than BSF until it's over and I can finally die and 2) I saw that they had an official comic already and I couldn't really figure out what the gently caress it was about or who it was for and now I'm kind of just confused about why they went with this person for it. Like Minecraft is a game where you build poo poo and protect idiot villagers from gray supremacists and you fight a dragon and the embodiment of entropy with a sword. It is a game for hyperactive children (and adult cartoonists I guess). I do not understand how Sarah Graley's aesthetic applies to any of it.

I got curious about this too, and was kinda surprised (but also kinda not) to see that the protagonists are drawn in her usual style and not like blocky minecraft people

I'm sure it's fine

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Fortis posted:

It still boggles my mind that it's so insanely popular with streamers, but hey if it makes their viewers happy and if someone can make a living from making a comic about it then all the more power to 'em

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i was gonna say that it reminded me of another tiny mouth'd "tee hee our relationship is lovely" comic, but turns out it's the same artist

they've also drawn for a minecraft comic, a rick and morty comic, and an invader zim comic; their brand is impossibly consistent

they also wrote (though didn't draw) a story in one of the IDW Sonic annuals; I'm pretty sure the IDW Sonic editor had discovered them because they had been in a band called "Sonic the Comic the Band", and Sonic the Comic the Podcast used one of their songs as their theme tune (and the IDW Sonic editor pays attention to and even guested on an episode of StCtP because he was also the IDW Transformers editor and one of the StCtP hosts is a Big Name in the Transformers fandom), and I can picture the editor looking into the band, going "oh they do comics" and bringing them on to write a story (which seems to have led them to going on to writing a few stories in one of the kids-focused Marvel Action comics that IDW was publishing before they lost the license)

Professional comics are helluva web of knowing a guy who knew a guy

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the holy poopacy posted:

Someone who's gay and in a relationship with a beard so that they can pass as straight is in a very similar boat, so I'm curious if you feel the same way about them.

No? Because that's a completely different situation? Gay people don't enter into sham relationships out of an honest desire to do so?

I'm not saying being in a cishet relationship makes you straight? Of course it doesn't. You're still gay or bi. You just don't face the societal opposition that you do in a gay relationship, or just walking around being trans, and complaining that you don't receive sufficient validation to those of us doing those and trying to draw an equivalency between the two is deeply annoying to me personally and makes you come across as an insensitive, self-absorbed dingus, yes my monitor is on,

Not going to say any more about this now, I'm going to give everyone like 15 minutes to get your jabs in and then I'm going to probe Humblebrag if he posts another one of those loving comics

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Chainclaw posted:

there's no downside here. This isn't a good comic but it's not worse than a lot of other comics posted here. In some ways it's better because each page is short.

And before anyone asks, yes, there are comics here I really like. Chako, Kill Six Billion Demons, Swan Boy, He is a Good Boy, are probably my favorites in the thread right now. I'm definitely excited when I see a new post with any of them.

Stardust is done, but I went from hating it to really liking it because it was just so absolutely baffling and his response to problems is so disproportionate and, well, you all read it you all know why it's so good.

Chako's probably my favorite, though.

yeah that's fair, superadventure sets my teeth on edge but a lot of other dross does get posted. chako makes it all worth it though. the post-apoc stand-up diner comic was also good

i also still don't think anyone's posted Accidental Space Spy yet

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've never played Minecraft. What exactly would a comic about it involve. Does it even have a story

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
relatable tbf

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

they also wrote (though didn't draw) a story in one of the IDW Sonic annuals; I'm pretty sure the IDW Sonic editor had discovered them because they had been in a band called "Sonic the Comic the Band", and Sonic the Comic the Podcast used one of their songs as their theme tune (and the IDW Sonic editor pays attention to and even guested on an episode of StCtP because he was also the IDW Transformers editor and one of the StCtP hosts is a Big Name in the Transformers fandom), and I can picture the editor looking into the band, going "oh they do comics" and bringing them on to write a story (which seems to have led them to going on to writing a few stories in one of the kids-focused Marvel Action comics that IDW was publishing before they lost the license)

Professional comics are helluva web of knowing a guy who knew a guy

It's also wild how many random webcomic creators from the early 2000s or earlier somehow leveraged it into getting jobs working on tv and animation productions. Feels like every other artist from that time is now either a writer on some huge show you've definitely heard of or made fat stacks of cash from a kickstarter campaign that they definitely squandered

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

some plague rats posted:

I've never played Minecraft. What exactly would a comic about it involve. Does it even have a story

My guess is it's having a good time building a little town with your friends, exploring a cave, and then building a portal to hell.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Best comics in the thread are Chako, K6BD and Swan Boy. Also? One Giant Hand

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I don't think we're gonna achieve LGBT liberation at this rate folx

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Youremother posted:

[forgetting which forum I'm posting in] I'm hoarding the LGBT liberation like Stalin hoarded that grain!!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
anyways I'd say the story they wrote on Sonic was fairly decent, but it was kinda soured by the fact that the artist blatantly copied a panel from Archie and (given how he hasn't shown up since) presumably got kicked off the book because of it. Funny thing is that there's another story in that issue that was drawn by an artist who pretty clearly appears to have been someone the editor discovered thru StCtP, and I feel like both stories would've benefited from having had the other's art team

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

some plague rats posted:

It has no story, you'd need to make one up. Based on what I've read the Graley-drawn comic is kind of a YA fantasy deal where interpersonal relationships are a primary focus. I guess the primary audience of the game is like 12-16 year olds? I don't know. I don't even know what the demographic for YA poo poo is, I'm just guessing.

The game does have a "final boss" which is a dragon implied to be terrorizing a dimension of weird alien people with teleportation powers. I probably would've hinged the story of a comic on that but what do I know, I guess.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

In the interest of the thread's actual topic, here's a fun short strip from Gay Comix in 1982, and I think the only comic from that book's run made by a transgender person.

Youremother has a new favorite as of 00:31 on Mar 8, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

some plague rats posted:

Best comics in the thread are Chako, K6BD and Swan Boy. Also? One Giant Hand

Definitely one of the most underrated comics at any rate.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Youremother posted:

Maybe someone should post Moon Over June.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fortis posted:

It has no story, you'd need to make one up. Based on what I've read the Graley-drawn comic is kind of a YA fantasy deal where interpersonal relationships are a primary focus. I guess the primary audience of the game is like 12-16 year olds? I don't know. I don't even know what the demographic for YA poo poo is, I'm just guessing.

The game does have a "final boss" which is a dragon implied to be terrorizing a dimension of weird alien people with teleportation powers. I probably would've hinged the story of a comic on that but what do I know, I guess.

Okay so it's just slop for the hogs, not something anyone put a lot of thought into? Just "we can sell a Minecraft comic, get some YA dingus my cousin knows to make one" as opposed to Microsoft sitting around going we need to establish the Minecraft universe canon, we need someone who can create a intricate, relatable universe from these pieces, begin the million dollar search

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ah for fucks sake

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

there was a Minecraft Story Mode game a few years back. I dunno what it was about but I think patton oswalt was a voice in it and google confirms. make of that what you will

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Demon
Chapter 11.04

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The fun thing about Minecraft Story Mode is that Michael Kirkbride wrote for it and as far as I know ripped off a good deal of his own stuff in Morrowind for it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

:whitewater:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
"do you say slurs while you juggle or something" lmao

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s a Minecraft manga. I have selected a section of the first chapter to show what it’s like.

Mein craft

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
okay something about that comc is completely flying over my head

I'm just going to assume that tredlocity also reads this thread and is dunking on specific posters.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Youremother posted:

I bothered to look and nah she's bisexual. Just another annoying person attempting to make gay comics that Tiktok teens would like. If we showed these people what actual gay comics looked like back in the day I think their eyes would melt

I am almost as old as I am gay, and I am not sure which eye melting gay comics from back in the day you mean. I would be extremely interested to find out because the whole cutesy polite queer comics thing doesn't resonate with me either.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

thetoughestbean posted:

There’s a Minecraft manga. I have selected a section of the first chapter to show what it’s like.

Mein craft

what in the loving hell

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm just going to assume that tredlocity also reads this thread and is dunking on specific posters.

What, you got something against a mace that shoots mace?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No I get and love the triple pun and am confused that it seems to invite angry responses.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I would like to support the mace-mace and further suggest that the mace cloud sprayed by the mace is actually composed of microscopic maces.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

In the previously posted comic, the villain said that people were too sensitive about juggling, that juggling was supposed to shock and offend, echoing what edgy comedians say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fagtastic posted:

I am almost as old as I am gay, and I am not sure which eye melting gay comics from back in the day you mean. I would be extremely interested to find out because the whole cutesy polite queer comics thing doesn't resonate with me either.

There's always Dykes To Watch Out For, which is not eye-melting in the sense of being especially ugly but its vibe is so radically opposite the cuddly pastel blob aesthetic that it could at least pop a few ocular blood vessels.

Considering DTWOF is one of the most mainstream gay comics from back in the day, I imagine anything more underground than that would probably go full Scanners on pastel blob authors