Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

30.5 Days posted:

Yeah but nobody's going to keep playing it if it sucks

This isn’t true and you know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

30.5 Days posted:

I have put thousands of dollars and tens of thousands of hours into games that suck.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Which subforum are we posting in again?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

There are 19,485 poor sods playing New World as we speak.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

FrostyPox posted:

I definitely read that as "nutsack" at first

The MMO HMO > MMO CHAT: nutsack is default

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

kedo posted:

There are 19,485 poor sods playing New World as we speak.

I was going to make a joke about "How many are bots?" but looking at the graph it actually looks normal for an MMO. Who are these psychos still playing?!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Unhappy Meal posted:

I was going to make a joke about "How many are bots?" but looking at the graph it actually looks normal for an MMO. Who are these psychos still playing?!

I have massive problems with the community in that game but beyond that? I mean it's a MMO without a subscription that looks good, plays well (if you enjoy the action combat), and doesn't throw a massive ton of poo poo at you constantly. I know others have a problem with the lack of end game content but is there really that much less than most any other MMO? It doesn't have the huge backlog of old content for people to run, but generally that really only matters to a small crowd to begin with. Grinding out gather materials, chests, faction quests, and dungeons in New World isn't all that different than grinding out gathering tasks, dailies and dungeons in WoW or FFXIV. Or they're leveling new characters, something people actually do in New World as well even if it's even more pointless in that game than others.

Even something like GW2 the vast majority of the population is either grinding along in WvW trains, a specific selection of open world metas, or the same strikes/fractals for years. The number of people you see doing other activity is just a small chunk of the population.

Then add in that even though New World has a cash shop it's a fairly small off in the corner thing you can ignore. Compared to GW2, SWTOR, ESO, LOTRO, and even WoW, New World is the pinnacle of keeping you feeling like you can play play a game and not have to fight off the figurative reach around into your wallet. I have no idea how much of a difference it makes but it certainly makes me wish I could stand to play it instead of any of the others.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

At the end of the day, a substantial amount of player retention for MMOs is because they're comfortably familiar social experiences without a significant competitive element (or, if they do have one, it's largely siloed away). I remember reading a post on the FFXIV subreddit from a nurse at the height of the pandemic who said that it was a genuine relief being able to come home, log in, and run a bunch of familiar dungeons or go hang out in the Gold Saucer playing minigames. It's the digital equivalent of your friend group going to the same pub and playing pool in the corner over beers: you know exactly what you're getting every time, you're doing it with other people, and the core gameplay loop is fun enough for you that you're fine repeating it endlessly. New World might not be the best game out there, but you can find something that hooks you even in an average game, and an average game without a sub cost that's still frequented by enough people to form a sense of community is a big enough draw to probably keep the thing going for years, even in the absence of any major updates.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Unhappy Meal posted:

based on the drops in activity whenever amazon brings the hammer down (which they generally do to very, very large groups of bots at once)? about half of the population is bots. i'm not sure how much this matters to the real people who are hanging on to the game, who have never experienced the game without bots because it's always had them. i guess they've just accepted them as part of the game.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
lost ark was the same way when i played, but idk how much they've cleaned it up by now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kaysette posted:

lost ark was the same way when i played, but idk how much they've cleaned it up by now

They have been entirely unsuccessful in stopping the bot problem. A bunch of gameplay mechanics, quests, and modes have been removed instead, but all that did was punish legitimate players still sticking around.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

AHHHH ITS OVER FOR THE RIOT MMO

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status/1633234667527897088

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Only 9 years of development on the League MMO, but will it come out before Star Citizen? Only time will tell!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cutedge posted:

Only 9 years of development on the League MMO, but will it come out before Star Citizen? Only time will tell!

Ghostcrawler wasn't working on the MMO for nine years. He worked as a designer on LoL itself right after Riot poached him and then was VP of "IP development" for a few years before he did the little soft-announcement and moved to being Executive Producer of the MMO.

There's probably been some level of pre-production work on the MMO for a while since rumors about it were leaking out for some time. But Ghostcrawler has said before that his announcement was basically a hiring notice as the game moved into full production and Riot needed to massively staff up for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is no way Riot would kill this mmo right? Am I crazy for thinking that? League of Legends is still massive, an mmorpg based on it would crush WoW and FFXIV like it was nothing.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

still in early development (lmao)

WoW and FFXIV remain kings

https://twitter.com/MarcMerrill/status/1633235987030773762

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
It's the year 2057. I'm sitting on my floating couch at the Something Awful Retirement Facility in Okay, Oklahoma as World of League of Legends finally announces a beta test. I nod to the 3 other posters left in this thread. The good MMO is finally coming out.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
They aren't going to can the MMO because Ghostcrawler left. He was the executive producer, so basically just the c-suite's eyes on what is likely going to be an incredibly expensive project that's a lynchpin of Riot's future plans.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if things aren't going super smoothly. Ghostcrawler mentioned last year they wanted to release at least a little bit of info in 2022. Obviously they didn't. That might just mean they want to keep things on the down-low for now but it might also mean things aren't as far along as they want them to be. And in this genre, the pessimistic stance is usually the accurate one.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It either becomes successful enough to finally kill off league of legends, or it drains the companies resources and crashes and burns so spectacularly that it finally kills off league of legends.

A win win either way.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Looking forward to seeing some pre-alpha gameplay on the tenth anniversary of development!

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

If theres a f&f alpha/beta before 2028 I'd be shocked (do Riot even do f&f betas?)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

1stGear posted:

They aren't going to can the MMO because Ghostcrawler left. He was the executive producer, so basically just the c-suite's eyes on what is likely going to be an incredibly expensive project that's a lynchpin of Riot's future plans.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if things aren't going super smoothly. Ghostcrawler mentioned last year they wanted to release at least a little bit of info in 2022. Obviously they didn't. That might just mean they want to keep things on the down-low for now but it might also mean things aren't as far along as they want them to be. And in this genre, the pessimistic stance is usually the accurate one.

Didn't we at least learn that the entire gameworld itself is complete? So if you had access to a build at the time, you would be able to explore the world, it would just be entirely empty, and there's no actual gameplay, quests, items, or characters yet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I said come in! posted:

Didn't we at least learn that the entire gameworld itself is complete? So if you had access to a build at the time, you would be able to explore the world, it would just be entirely empty, and there's no actual gameplay, quests, items, or characters yet.

I think you misinterpreted that Necrit video. His argument was that, from a lore standpoint, Runeterra is a pretty complete setting. Riot did a big revamp of the lore starting in 2014 and the Runeterra card game has added a lot more detail and characters. So the MMO will have a deep well to draw from for zones/raids/stories/etc instead of having to mostly make it up as they go along the way other MMOs do.

But even if they do have an actual map you can walk around, that's still probably one of the easier parts of development (and one that still probably has a ton of iteration to go)

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

gently caress riot games though. Everything they do is a watered down, boring and terminally uncreative. The only thing not watered down about riot is the workplace discrimination against women. Their anti-cheat is also malware.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ah, so in other words, a worthy successor of Blizzard.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Jimlit posted:

The only thing not watered down about riot is the workplace discrimination against women.

Don't worry, they hired top dog ghostcrawler from Blizzard Entertainment to put a stop to all those complaints

everyone who so much as sighted the executive coffee machine at Blizzard is guilty

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There was no universe where a Riot MMO ends up good.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

There was no universe where a MMO ends up good.

Fixed that for you.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ah, so in other words, a worthy successor of Blizzard.

Blizzard 2, right up to and including the harassment that everyone conveniently forgot about when the next studio scandal came along.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Riot also made an actual effort to improve and didn't do poo poo like hiring a female diversity consultant and paying her less than her male equivalent.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It is just a single anecdote but the woman I know who works at riot has mentioned fairly recently that the culture is better there nowadays.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

It is just a single anecdote but the woman I know who works at riot has mentioned fairly recently that the culture is better there nowadays.

I have a friend who is a woman and works at Riot, that has had nothing but positive things to say. However someone else I know works at blizzard, for the WoW Classic team and they love their job. But that team is newer too, and smaller, so maybe that contributes to the more chill vibe.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah it's important to understand that company culture decides the floor, not the ceiling, of how you're treated. It's extremely rare for a company culture to be so bad that they force your boss to be terrible, they just have lots of bad bosses and don't do anything about them. That means that there will be people having a good time at any given terrible company. idk if that means that riot is actually a terrible company now though. It's worth noting that even when all the sexism stuff was going on, riot was known as one of the halfway decent game companies on planet earth, since they paid people way more than other game companies, had tech industry perks, and generally didn't do crunch. So I wouldn't be surprised that even back then it was possible for a woman working there to not run into any of the psychopaths in any given year and have the best time she'd ever had working in the game industry.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I work at a massive tech company myself, and the team i'm on is incredible. It's a very diverse group of people, with multiple sites across the U.S. and its very chill. But I believe all of the really bad stories I hear about my employer in the news. No doubt they are all true from things i've heard personally.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Can also relay an anecdote about improvements.

But that doesn't mean they don't produce milquetoast ultranormie games.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ranzear posted:

Can also relay an anecdote about improvements.

But that doesn't mean they don't produce milquetoast ultranormie games.
LoR is a good ccg. It manages to alienate MTG players & casual card game players at the same time, but on a technical level it's enjoyable, complex, and well designed. Some metas are better than others but that's card games for you. It's also the only actual-f2p card game I've ever played where someone who plays at most a few hours per week will want to spend $0.

TFT is the genre leader for auto battlers and it's not even close. The rest of the genre is somehow even more watered down.

They both give me hope they could make an alright MMO. I'm not expecting genre defining.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 11, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa3lVBrx4JU

A content creator got to play quite a bit of Wayfinder and posted their impressions and gameplay. This looks like it might be a fun game? Plus it's going to actually come out soon???

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Plus it's going to actually come out soon???

Goty

Pryce
May 21, 2011

I said come in! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa3lVBrx4JU

A content creator got to play quite a bit of Wayfinder and posted their impressions and gameplay. This looks like it might be a fun game? Plus it's going to actually come out soon???

I really don't understand the hype around it. I've played a fair bit and it's just like.....slow Warframe with very floaty controls. I love me some Warframe, but people are acting like this game is the 2nd coming when it's a very standard session-based action RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

people thinking a new mmo is the second coming? i don't believe this