Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

wandler20 posted:

Giving him $250m AND at least 2 first round picks is probably why.

that's honestly nothing for an MVP top five QB, and reports are he's never asked for a fully guaranteed deal or even 200m guaranteed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I forget who floated it but someone said the Commanders could go after Lamar because Snyder can whitewash his image with the fanbase by delivering a QB while loving over the owners that are forcing him out.

Plus Baltimore would hate him moving up the road.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I mean, I hope not but what are you clearing cap space for if not for something like this?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

after this non-exclusive tag I think Lamar stays in Baltimore long term

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1633209727810191360?t=Dz3A8MurQC2NYRFjEJXUCw&s=19

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Interesting dynamic, since now he's going to be handing off to his RB who only got the tag because he signed the last minute deal.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1633212189648781312
https://twitter.com/DannyBKelly/status/1633212241096114177

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So it's a 2 year deal with 2 fake years. But still LOL @ Jones and the Giants because they both suck.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

So Kalil is right and it's essentially two tag year deals and then void years for them to cut him if he's still bad.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Some numbers to look at.

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1633213442147639296?s=20

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

really queer Christmas posted:

So Kalil is right and it's essentially two tag year deals and then void years for them to cut him if he's still bad.

Yeah kind of reminds me of when Tyrod signed what looked like a mega deal with the Bills and then was unceremoniously traded to the Browns one year later.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
With regard to the non-exclusive franchise tag, does anyone know what the flexibility on the "two first rounders" is for teams that have two first-round picks this year? For example - if Detroit wants in on Lamar, could they say "we're giving up 18 and next year's first and keeping 6 for ourselves" or do teams have to give up their next available picks

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Panthers are also out on Lamar.
https://twitter.com/josephperson/status/1633218702899290112?s=61&t=5XhQ3IY0TKf9sLs_Mzh2Lw

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Raiders too it seems:

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1633220753461243904?s=20

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Also the Commanders:

https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1633147048592654340?t=E_jtSSmkK-Ra30qNwh3RyQ&s=19

the owners must still be so mad at Cleveland

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Herbert and Burrow are gonna get so much money

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

xbilkis posted:

With regard to the non-exclusive franchise tag, does anyone know what the flexibility on the "two first rounders" is for teams that have two first-round picks this year? For example - if Detroit wants in on Lamar, could they say "we're giving up 18 and next year's first and keeping 6 for ourselves" or do teams have to give up their next available picks

I'm pretty sure it's their highest first round pick for the next two years and they can't trade back or send a lower first

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

If Lamar doesn't even get a sniff from other teams then it has to be collusion. Teams are willing to murder for franchise qbs and one popping up and all you just have to guarantee some money and give up two firsts? That's such a no-brainer move.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jesus

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Most blatant collusion case since Barry Bonds

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Okay so yeah they are definitely colluding

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Deshaun Watson coming off a full year of not playing in addition to being a big sex pest and creep was traded for 3 1's, a three, and a four. Also given 250m in guaranteed money.

Lamar would only cost 2 1's and possibly less in a guarantee.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Falcons absolutely should have taken a shot. They have the need, the space, a DOME (underrated asset that can help Lamar who's game truly benefits from dry and calm conditions), and a division that's absolutely ripe for the taking.

sign Lamar and you're instantly king of the NFC South

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you know what you have to do lamar. take 25 million in miami or tennessee. stop the collusion

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I was thinking Miami or San Fran should go after Lamar but neither have first round picks.

New England could and ship Mac Jones over to Vegas.

None of these are even remotely likely and he's stuck in Baltimore. I guess he'll have to play on the tag and go to the Bucs next year.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
The collusion between owners is ridiculous. Don't understand how teams are this quick to say "We're not interested in Lamar" at least pretend for a day or two, have a conversation with him.

I wonder if part of it is because he doesn't have an agent, so you don't have to worry about any other guys the agents/agency represents being pissed in future negotiations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

wandler20 posted:

I was thinking Miami or San Fran should go after Lamar but neither have first round picks.

None of these are even remotely likely and he's stuck in Baltimore. I guess he'll have to play on the tag and go to the Bucs next year.

The Patriots have a cheap asset at QB, they aren't trading out of that to give Lamar a dump truck of money

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Is there an offer sheet deadline? Could Miami in theory wait until after the draft and then sign him while giving up picks in 2024/25?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

Is there an offer sheet deadline? Could Miami in theory wait until after the draft and then sign him while giving up picks in 2024/25?

July 17th is the deadline for a long-term deal

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

from what I've been reading they can indeed do that

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think the durability concerns with Jackson are probably plenty of reason to give teams pause. It’s clearly something the Ravens are worried about, and it seems like they’d know what’s going on with him as well as anybody.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

is it normal for official team accounts to retweet stuff like this? seems bizarre but I don't really follow them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

syzpid posted:

I wonder if part of it is because he doesn't have an agent, so you don't have to worry about any other guys the agents/agency represents being pissed in future negotiations.

the main thing not having an agent in his case hurts right now is not having any control of the messaging. for months the Ravens put out to various outlets that he was looking for a Watson deal, wanted full guarantees, 200m+, and only lately a few reporters who've actually talked to Lamar's camp says that's not true.

the owners blatantly colluding like this would happen either way cause it's not like the agent can do anything about it if 15 teams join in on the "no fully guaranteed deals" train. they still gotta work on behalf of their clients

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Harlock posted:

Deshaun Watson coming off a full year of not playing in addition to being a big sex pest and creep was traded for 3 1's, a three, and a four. Also given 250m in guaranteed money.

Lamar would only cost 2 1's and possibly less in a guarantee.

Lamar on the Browns with that o-line and Chubb and Hunt would be filthy. I'm glad the Browns paid $230 fully guaranteed for a Happy Ending a year before they could have stolen Lamar

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Are the Jets talking to Lamar?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Grip it and rip it posted:

Are the Jets talking to Lamar?
You don’t check Tinder in the middle of your date.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Diva Cupcake posted:

You don’t check Tinder in the middle of your date.

I dunno, if you're stuck out to dinner with a total bozo...

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
If the Lions try for Lamar does that mean they give up their 18 and keep the 6 while giving up 2024? If so I say they should definitely try. Can even mitigate the draft pick sting by trading Goff after he had a decent year.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Scipiotik posted:

If the Lions try for Lamar does that mean they give up their 18 and keep the 6 while giving up 2024? If so I say they should definitely try. Can even mitigate the draft pick sting by trading Goff after he had a decent year.

gently caress it give up 6 and throw in Goof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
You cannot possibly convince me that these team owners aren't colluding to ensure that Watson's contract ends up a one-off and that Jackson gets hosed.