Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Firestream used to be broken good because it would apply the burn effect really rapidly and do tons of damage but it got nerfed, it's not that amazing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Alctel posted:

I just finished a complete playthrough of all of the Witcher 1 - 3, in order for the first time

and at the end Geralt killed himself

wtfffffffffff

I guess there is no point doing the DLC

Glad I did it this way though, I think stuff like finding the letter in the bookshop from the game one antagonist or seeing thaler wouldn't have been so cool if I hadn't played the first two

lol, bad dad. What awful things did you do to give Ciri low-self-esteem?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Firestream is good with the mutation that adds 50% sword damage to signs, since that procs with every firestream tick. Pretty bad before you get to Touissant though, or if you want to use another mutation.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol you were a bad dad.

Play the DLC, it's still really good.

Apparently there are different endings so I am going to restart from the isle of mists (it tells you to make a manual save there thank god) as gently caress that is a huge bummer of an ending

I thought that was a bit of a downer ending after 100+ hours and 3 games so glad there are different ones

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

lol, bad dad. What awful things did you do to give Ciri low-self-esteem?

Went with her to lodge meeting (mainly cos I was curious), didn't let her trash the lab as I thought it could have useful stuff in it, said 'relax, you don't have to be good at everything' as I thought it was a poo poo dad joke and would calm her down. I did visit the grave and didn't go see the emperor.

I am a terrible dad

Alctel fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 7, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The endings are based on how you interact with Ciri, I'm not sure you can change them at the point of no return, but that's a good place to gently caress off and do the expansions.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skwirl posted:

The endings are based on how you interact with Ciri, I'm not sure you can change them at the point of no return, but that's a good place to gently caress off and do the expansions.

You don’t even get to Ciri until the Isle of Mists, so I think OP is ok to restart there. Unless I’m misremembering something?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chaosapiant posted:

You don’t even get to Ciri until the Isle of Mists, so I think OP is ok to restart there. Unless I’m misremembering something?

Aren't there flashbacks and stuff you make these decisions in? I'll admit it's been like 6 or so years since I've played, so my memory of where you actually hit the decisions points might be completely wrong.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Skwirl posted:

Aren't there flashbacks and stuff you make these decisions in? I'll admit it's been like 6 or so years since I've played, so my memory of where you actually hit the decisions points might be completely wrong.

Yeah nah, they're all after the battle of Kaer Morhen.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Skwirl posted:

No it's all afte the kaer morhen battle, and on a replay all the content after that can be flown through if you don't care about difficulty or cutscenes.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Yeah.
There's 5 decisions and you need to get 3 of them right to get a good ending:

1. Have a snowball fight in Kaer Morhen instead of Drinking session after the battle of Kaer Morhen
2. Don't take money from the emperor, if you visit him with Ciri. (or you can just skip visiting the Emperor)
3. Let Ciri handle the Lodge Sorceresses alone.
4. Let the Ciri vent out and trash the Avallach place.
5. Visit the Grave of the Craven with Ciri directly afterwards.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The smashing the lab scene is so good, too. Like the snowball fight but angrier

I understand the rationale behind the don’t take the emperor’s money decision but i never liked it. I’m supposed to be teaching her how to be a Witcher and then I turn down one of the biggest paychecks of my life after I already did the work just because the client’s a piece of poo poo? I feel like your average Witcher does worse for less probably

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Imagine the adoptive father that raised you selling you back to your biodad for money.
Holy trust issues.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Issaries posted:

Imagine the adoptive father that raised you selling you back to your biodad for money.
Holy trust issues.

I might be misremembering the event actually; is the choice actually between sending her back to nilfgard or taking her away with you? If so then I take it back lol that’s evil as hell, I thought the only difference was whether you get paid for some reason

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I screwed up the whole snowball fight thing because it was a good example of the dialogue options not really indicating what will actually happen

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Ainsley McTree posted:

I might be misremembering the event actually; is the choice actually between sending her back to nilfgard or taking her away with you? If so then I take it back lol that’s evil as hell, I thought the only difference was whether you get paid for some reason

Well I might have oversold it a bit for dramatic effect.

Whether you visit the Emperor or not affects which good ending you can get, but issue of money muddles it a bit.
Officially you were hired to find Ciri by the Emperor. You were going to try to find her anyway, but taking money from emperor in front of Ciri muddles how she perceives your motivations.
Small nagging doubts like, "Did Geralt find me just for money?", can demolish her self-esteem a bit.
Not too much if that was your only poor choice concerning her, but combined with others...

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

yeah, i dont mind the actual decisions, but i just feel the snowball one and the lab one are not initially presented all that well and its hard for someone to get them right the first time is all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The abbreviations for some of the Good Dad choices are as obtuse as Push Dijkstra.

Also, if you don't visit Emhyr it doesn't count against your Good Dad points but you instead only need two Good Dad points instead of three.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Issaries posted:

Yeah.
There's 5 decisions and you need to get 3 of them right to get a good ending:

1. Have a snowball fight in Kaer Morhen instead of Drinking session after the battle of Kaer Morhen

I recently noticed that when you go drinking with her, the scene opens by panning over a cat playing with a dead swallow. Heavy foreshadowing (Ciri = Zirael = Swallow)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I wish you could still take out that last crone regardless of the ending. How you gonna just leave her to her own devices and not expect you and your loved ones to suffer some sort of bog curse? Seems like a huge mistake.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
You should have the option to take the money and give it to Ciri.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"Hey Ciri. Play it right and I bet we can get fat stacks out of your biodad. Witcher's code is to get as much cash out of the rich fucks as you can."

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Just throw some snow at her face. That will prepare her for the White Frost.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

The smashing the lab scene is so good, too. Like the snowball fight but angrier

I understand the rationale behind the don’t take the emperor’s money decision but i never liked it. I’m supposed to be teaching her how to be a Witcher and then I turn down one of the biggest paychecks of my life after I already did the work just because the client’s a piece of poo poo? I feel like your average Witcher does worse for less probably

Get money get paid is the main thing for Witchers, but there ain't nobody paying her for fixing the multiverse, so it's not really the best thing to prepare her for that.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Just throw some snow at her face. That will prepare her for the White Frost.

They should have tied the good dad points to Destroying Ciri on the Snowball fight.
Only bad dads lose.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Geralt isn't really a very good Witcher when it comes to the whole "staying out of it and just getting paid to kill monsters" anyway. He's always involved in poo poo, so really no big deal about breaking the witcher code about the bosses money

they are really more of guidelines then a code you know

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

Geralt isn't really a very good Witcher when it comes to the whole "staying out of it and just getting paid to kill monsters" anyway. He's always involved in poo poo, so really no big deal about breaking the witcher code about the bosses money

they are really more of guidelines then a code you know

My first intro to the IP was Witcher 2, which opens with Geralt fighting a battle in an army for a king, which as I understand it is not typically what witchers do

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Issaries posted:

They should have tied the good dad points to Destroying Ciri on the Snowball fight.
Only bad dads lose.

Yeah, how else is she gonna get better?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Based on the info we have, it sure seems like any of the "rules" about witchers are folk tales or deliberate PR by witchers. They are pretty much always tied up in something since superhuman soldiers/assassins are far too tempting to resist for those in power and Witchers are generally not rolling in cash.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What's the Push Dijkstra thing about?

I don't care about spoilers

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Potato Salad posted:

Spoiledered in case anyone else cares You break his leg and piss him off and can no longer kill Radovid

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Potato Salad posted:

Push Dijkstra translates to Geralt knocking him over, grabbing his leg and snapping it like a twig.

An update changed the prompt to "Push Dijkstra... hard."

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Note: Geralt does it to his good leg. Also I think the updated prompt says "forcefully" not "hard", not that it makes much difference.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
[Glass Him]

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Staltran posted:

Note: Geralt does it to his good leg. Also I think the updated prompt says "forcefully" not "hard", not that it makes much difference.

Make Dijkstra symmetrical

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

*Geralt takes off and nukes the entire site from orbit.*

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

"Very funny"

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Ok I restarted from my manual save at the isle of mists and was able to go through and make geralt not kill himself. You can really power through it in a couple hours if you skip all the cutscenes you've already seen.

Just started the HoS stuff and super enjoying it already

bringing back that dude from the start in white orchard was a great idea, the interaction with him then was weird enough that I remember being all 'that's super odd' and it wasn't a massive surprise that he showed up again.

Also, it's Shani from game 1!

Alctel fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 8, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alctel posted:

Ok I restarted from my manual save at the isle of mists and was able to go through and make geralt not kill himself. You can really power through it in a couple hours if you skip all the cutscenes you've already seen.

Just started the HoS stuff and super enjoying it already

bringing back that dude from the start in white orchard was a great idea, the interaction with him then was weird enough that I remember being all 'that's super odd' and it wasn't a massive surprise that he showed up again.

Also, it's Shani from game 1!

I'm glad you powered through and are doing the DLC, it all rules and will be worth it

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

:nice: Which ending did you got this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Issaries posted:

:nice: Which ending did you got this time?

Witcher one, never bothered to go back and see the emperor

edit: currently being the worlds worst wedding guest, this is great