Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The voice will likely be pretty ineffectual and not case much lasting improvement but voting no would also be pretty ineffectual at causing lasting change so don't know why people would go for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

But does making it part of the constitution prevent them from fooling around with it other ways?

it will depend on the exact wording of the constitutional amendment, but the draft one labor put forward a few months ago proposed basically only enshrining that the indigenous voice exists and that it has the ability to give advice to the government & parliament on indigenous issues etc.

so in theory a government could pass a law to say "the indigenous voice consists of scott morrison and his three best friends" if they really wanted to gently caress around with it, but in practice they'd just be able to ignore anything it says anyway

i don't think there are particularly strong yes or no arguments. i'm not really convinced it will be very effective since it has no real power and can just be ignored/practically abolished if the government wants, and the main proposed system of elections etc. for it is a real mess (though labor hasn't committed to that model or anything at all there), but i also don't think it's going to somehow be a barrier to future progress - it's not going to make indigenous activists who are demanding something better go away and i'm not sure how the referendum failing would somehow lead to a better outcome there.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

NPR Journalizard posted:

Its not as simple as good or bad imo.

There are plenty of valid concerns about it :
- The problem isnt about having a voice, its that the people already aren't being listened to, and this doesnt change that
- It wont be representative of all indigenous groups
- It will be co-opted and patsies installed
- Relying on the oppressor to stop oppressing people is not great
- It will be a figleaf that doesnt nothing concrete but allow racists to point at it as they continue to be racist AF

I think its a step in the right direction personally, but im very white.

https://www.facebook.com/ourcountryourchoice

thank you lizard man for this knowledge

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Ranter posted:

The voice will do nothing to improve the material conditions for indigenous people. It grants no power, and consultation will be ignored like it always has been.

The voice will as actually cause more harm than good because people will think it's a big win, that things will change for the better, so the fight doesn't need to be fought, as hard or st all.

No to the voice.

Tell me what you think happens to advance indigenous interests after the referendum fails.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
If the referendum fails it will absolutely be taken as meaning that the Australian public at large do not care about indigenous rights and give further license to all sorts of horrible poo poo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ranter posted:

The voice will do nothing to improve the material conditions for indigenous people. It grants no power, and consultation will be ignored like it always has been.

The voice will as actually cause more harm than good because people will think it's a big win, that things will change for the better, so the fight doesn't need to be fought, as hard or st all.

No to the voice.

You must be a lot smarter than the vast majority of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders that support it then.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The voice is also a cudgel that can be used against the liberal party forever and is good 4d chess.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My 2c on the Voice is less about the "yes" and more about the "no"

And if, as a nation, we vote "no", we are publicly saying that "No, the indigenous people of this country should not get a formal say in it's governance, and indeed we are actively voting to exclude them from doing this thing."

So indeed, a yes vote would just create another performative jobs for the boys committee, with no real power that will likely be mostly ignored and will do little to actually improve the lot of the indigenous community.

A "no" vote does so much worse. And in a perfect world, the Voice might possibly be able to do some good.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The jobs for boys are also very likely to include a whole bunch of indigenous jobs for indigenous boys.

Which if you like the idea of transferring commonwealth money directly into indigenous hands, then why not?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

fez_machine posted:

The jobs for boys are also very likely to include a whole bunch of indigenous jobs for indigenous boys.

Which if you like the idea of transferring commonwealth money directly into indigenous hands, then why not?

parliamentary basics card

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Who cares what Kyle Sandilands, Meghan Trainor, Amy Shark and Harry Connick Jr. think anyway?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Who cares what Kyle Sandilands, Meghan Trainor, Amy Shark and Harry Connick Jr. think anyway?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Solution. Only allow first nations people to vote on it.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I feel like a yes vote would be a symbolic gesture that we'd like to see more things done for first nations Australians. Not knowing the exact form it would take however, I'm hoping it mostly manifests in a group of people who call the government out on their poo poo endlessly.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i think its fair to be suss on it but i am also deeply suspicious of the ranter argument that voting no will somehow generate fewer bad material outcomes when the material conditions are already so fuckin dire. anyway kill all white people.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

it doesnt help that the debate has come before apparently any actual information about what the voice entails has been decided which seems like a pathetic way to have a referendum

lih
May 15, 2013

the government are deeply scared that proposing a specific model will be too divisive based on the republic referendum. albanese is absolutely terrible at communicating this sort of stuff too and will sometimes answer questions on it like he has a clear idea of the details, sometimes defer to currently ongoing consultation (which, why are you campaigning before you have that consultation done?), sometimes insist that it's just about the principle and they can figure out the details afterward, and sometimes points to a proposed model which he has also refused to actually endorse

none of that is very effective at all at getting anything across to anyone, it's all a very confused approach

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I feel it's a bit disingenuous to frame the debate as "Yes" and "No" when it's actually "voice", "treaty" and "I'm a racist turd".

The primary argument by Indigenous people who are against Voice is less that it's going to make things worse for Indigenous Australians, but more that it won't do anything to make things better. Brass tacks, it's a performative measure intended to avoid the establishment of a treaty between the Commonwealth and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Not delay, but outright avoid.

Treaty requires both parties to accept the terms and sign on, which would require genuine concessions and active measures by the government to actually do SOMETHING to improve the lives of first nations people. Neither major party has any plan to do this, and if you look at their actions and policies over the past 50 years, it seems highly likely that both parties would use a Voice to parliament to legitimise their continued agenda of marginalisation - most likely by hand-picking participants who will best support the narrative that works for them.

It won't be good. I wouldn't vote no myself because that feeds an even worse narrative, but ideally the referendum should be over Voice or Treaty, not "Voice?" or "Nah, fuckem".

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

agree with dumpster fire there on what it should be and how it's framed currently.

i think we need more, i think it should be more, but i'm not going to vote no on that basis because, i don't believe that a no will help advance the cause more than i think voting yes would.

at work we're inviting in different members of different nations to talk about it at different times, making sure to hear from those who are for it and against it and why to help flesh it out a bit more for staff that have flagged they want to know more / hear more.

the boomers at work are fuming at the idea. it's ace.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hambeet posted:

the boomers at work are fuming at the idea. it's ace.

All you need to know to vote yes

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

eh, most referendums fail. They fail because gently caress change and we don't vote yes to referendums.

What is it about again? I mean, I'll vote no anyway because I tried voting yes for a republic when I was young and impressionable and now we have King Charles. So I haven't voted yes since.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I voted once, but I didn't win! I'll never vote again!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

oh hi USpol poster.

lih
May 15, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

I feel it's a bit disingenuous to frame the debate as "Yes" and "No" when it's actually "voice", "treaty" and "I'm a racist turd".

The primary argument by Indigenous people who are against Voice is less that it's going to make things worse for Indigenous Australians, but more that it won't do anything to make things better. Brass tacks, it's a performative measure intended to avoid the establishment of a treaty between the Commonwealth and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Not delay, but outright avoid.

Treaty requires both parties to accept the terms and sign on, which would require genuine concessions and active measures by the government to actually do SOMETHING to improve the lives of first nations people. Neither major party has any plan to do this, and if you look at their actions and policies over the past 50 years, it seems highly likely that both parties would use a Voice to parliament to legitimise their continued agenda of marginalisation - most likely by hand-picking participants who will best support the narrative that works for them.

It won't be good. I wouldn't vote no myself because that feeds an even worse narrative, but ideally the referendum should be over Voice or Treaty, not "Voice?" or "Nah, fuckem".

labor has plans to do treaty (& truth-telling) too, it's part of the uluru statement & they're going to start setting up the commission for those this year too. one certainly doesn't preclude the other.

the issue between different indigenous groups is about the order things happen in and what the objective of the treaty should be.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

lih posted:

the issue between different indigenous groups is about the order things happen in and what the objective of the treaty should be.

You've just grossly ignored the indigenous people and organizations that are against treaty and voice entirely.

lih
May 15, 2013

not sorry for ignoring the right-wingers

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

lih posted:

not sorry for ignoring the right-wingers

This is incredibly racist holy poo poo

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

there are certainly some indigenous people not on the right wing that arent supportive of the idea of treaty but the main issue i see is primarily that a homogenous treaty of all atsi people as one group will actually strip individual nations of their agency rather than address the huge range of cultures encompassed under our white idea of 'indigenous'

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
treaties should be with each individual, like in The Acharnians

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf-jHCdafZY

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

We used to play this when it was time to close the bar. I always liked it but it drove the drunks out like nothing else

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

What? Macrobusiness has been pretty consistent on this stuff for as long as i've been reading it.

Consistent on which stuff?

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2023/03/rba-crashes-economy-into-wall-of-woke/
Calling things they don't like "woke"?

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2023/03/proof-immigration-is-driving-unemployment-up/
Confusing correlation with causation to push racism?

I've never read macrobusiness before, and these are just two articles from today. I don't feel like I'm cherrypicking here.

I mean, if you're saying that Macrobusiness consistently thinks immigration is bad and will use any excuse to bash it, ok.
But the real consistent thing I see here is absolutely dogshit dogwhistle journalism.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Lol yes everything is racism

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Lol yes everything is racism

this but unironically

lih
May 15, 2013

hooman posted:

I've never read macrobusiness before, and these are just two articles from today. I don't feel like I'm cherrypicking here.

I mean, if you're saying that Macrobusiness consistently thinks immigration is bad and will use any excuse to bash it, ok.
But the real consistent thing I see here is absolutely dogshit dogwhistle journalism.

the macrobusiness guy is a huge weirdo who called for australia to invade the solomon islands last year lol

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Department withheld key documents from watchdog that flagged potential illegality of robodebt

The department responsible for implementing the robodebt scheme withheld key documents flagging its potential illegality from an independent watchdog investigating the program, a royal commission has been told.

The commission is seeking to understand the role of the commonwealth ombudsman, whose 2017 report identified a number of flaws in the scheme but stopped short of declaring the “income averaging” debt calculation process unlawful. While giving evidence, the senior assistant ombudsman, Louise Macleod, was shown multiple documents, including emails flagging the scheme was potentially illegal, that she had never seen before.

Surely... surely at some point someone is going to jail.

lih
May 15, 2013

withholding documents from the ombudsman is illegal, yes. i'd be surprised if prosecutions don't happen on that & possibly other issues

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Chris Minns can thank the meltdown of Sydney Trains today for the coming landslide election win

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Chris Minns can thank the meltdown of Sydney Trains today for the coming landslide election win

Never, I repeat never bet on NSW Labor winning anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

lih posted:

withholding documents from the ombudsman is illegal, yes. i'd be surprised if prosecutions don't happen on that & possibly other issues

i'd be surprised if prosecutions don't happen on that. They can blame it on all that one person whose now dead.