Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Mega64 posted:

Just did Castii's Chapter 3.

Jesus loving Christ.

I've seen people keep referring to this so I'm going to do this one tonight. I still have some chapter 2's to do but who cares, I want some good stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Combo posted:

I've seen people keep referring to this so I'm going to do this one tonight. I still have some chapter 2's to do but who cares, I want some good stories.

Good news, there’s no boss. Instead, the game punches you in the gut repeatedly!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmao I got the ladies' 4-person tavern banter immediately before starting the final chapter, and it's still a "what kind of guys are you into," chat but it gets immediately derailed by Agnea and Ochette being too young and innocent for romance, so instead they talk about things that make their heart flutter, and Throné says "when they wag their tails as soon as they see you" because she is quite fond of dogs, to which Ochette responds "ohh, so if you start wagging your tail as soon as you see someone, you're in love with them, I get it." Then the first scene of the final chapter is the gang hanging out in pairs, and Throné walks in and says hunting is pretty cool, which makes Ochette wag her tail.

girls you have my full support :3:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

I have yet to switch Thronė, my starter, off Inventor. The catapult is just too good for random battles and it helps her conserve SP.

One of the best things you can give casters for trash fights is the Apothecary support skill that regenerates 30% HP and SP after combat.

Also, Partitio is a beast with the support skill that gives him full latent power at the start of combat because he can just instantly full boost Arrow of Fortune.

The Merchant skill with full latent power is really good and you can get off some nice combos with it especially if you also have Partitio to also give full BP. Like Castii can do a full Combine with no resources, or Temenos can just get 4 free shield points guaranteed.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I still stand by Agnea with Inventor and two of Merchant's skills, 1 extra BP at the start and full Latent Power.

With First Step she gets a turn to herself, gives 80% hp and sp plus 2 bp to everyone using her Latent Power to give Inventor's divine skill to everyone and then next turn everyone but her starts with 5 bp at the beginning of every fight. You'll never have to worry about using items again.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

ApplesandOranges posted:

The Merchant skill with full latent power is really good and you can get off some nice combos with it especially if you also have Partitio to also give full BP. Like Castii can do a full Combine with no resources, or Temenos can just get 4 free shield points guaranteed.

Temenos with latent power (via the last merchant passive to start) + full bp + elemental barrage from the scholar job (the more you boost it, the more attacks) = all his interrogation night actions just became really easy and much faster

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 8, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HellOnEarth posted:

No no, what you buy is Partitio paying 90k or so leaves per battle to make bosses gently caress off with Hired Help.

You mean Partitio and all 3 other party members using merchant as a subclass :retrogames:

FireWorksWell posted:

That's by far the most you're required to spend.

And then eventually you'll be in the millions with nothing to buy

The licenses cost 100k and 300k. :eng101:

But yeah money in OT1-2 are less of an issue later on, especially if you late game dive early on to buy/steal high powered gear and end up just selling (and never buying) low/mid level gear along the way.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Evil Fluffy posted:

Only for the Merchant subclass, and you only need those if you want more than one at a time. You can just swap who's using the first license if you want ti grab support skills.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

You mean Partitio and all 3 other party members using merchant as a subclass :retrogames:

But yeah money in OT1-2 are less of an issue later on, especially if you late game dive early on to buy/steal high powered gear and end up just selling (and never buying) low/mid level gear along the way.

Maybe I'm stupid but in both OT1 and OT2 so far I haven't sold a single weapon/armor piece the entire game, I don't know why.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You get SO MANY items that only exist to be sold, how could you ever run out of money?

I sold some stuff early on but I’ve been pretty liquid for most of the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
How do you activate banter you've missed? I checked the tavern after throne ch2 but couldn't find anything.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Natural 20 posted:

How do you activate banter you've missed? I checked the tavern after throne ch2 but couldn't find anything.

Journal, character tab for duos and side quest's all tab for three and four people.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I hate the optional boss you have to fight solo. What an rear end in a top hat. I wish I could do more damage but your character absolutely must have a move that can break a shield no matter what, so I had to make Throné a Dancer instead of a Warrior which sucks rear end.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok after buying the game at launch and sitting on it for...2 weeks(?) I finally started playing it.
I went with the Beast Girl. Is there any incentive for siccing my monsters on harmless townsfolk if it isn't for a quest or something?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok after buying the game at launch and sitting on it for...2 weeks(?) I finally started playing it.
I went with the Beast Girl. Is there any incentive for siccing my monsters on harmless townsfolk if it isn't for a quest or something?

You get a little bit of exp but it is t really worth it.

Also just discovered the 300 attack dagger in Winterbloom, lmao, gonna go kick Karma’s rear end rn

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Final boss is a real challenge; glad I followed the game recommendation to continue on a separate save slot and go back to before the point of no return so I can grind more efficiently.

Mr. Hasty
Jan 12, 2004
Dick Tasty for President 2020

ChrisBTY posted:

Only if they are standing in front of a door.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
While it's not a strategic advantage, there's also the joy of seeing how people from all walks of life react to the prospect of someone throwing twenty eagles at their face.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Mahina!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Regarding Ochette's Chapter 1, does your choice of companion actually carry through the whole game, because I picked the owl and the jackal thing ran off, not sure if you can do it the other way round.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

Regarding Ochette's Chapter 1, does your choice of companion actually carry through the whole game, because I picked the owl and the jackal thing ran off, not sure if you can do it the other way round.

It sticks for the whole game. Honestly I think you chose right and it hasn't mattered whatsoever for me. You're going to be capturing a lot of monsters, you'll have plenty of coverage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hm now that I'm filling out jobs it's actually kinda hard to figure out what the next passives I want to get are. Partitio for instance has almost all his utility in his beginner job already, so it's either Warrior/Hunter for the physical stats or Dancer/Thief/Apothecary for some utility. And outside of the stat passives he doesn't really need to pick up much else, and he's not breaking 9999 soon so no need to rush for Warrior.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

They have different names, personalities, and lines, which is neat! Though they tend to hit the same narrative beats regardless, they do express very different viewpoints at certain moments.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hm now that I'm filling out jobs it's actually kinda hard to figure out what the next passives I want to get are. Partitio for instance has almost all his utility in his beginner job already, so it's either Warrior/Hunter for the physical stats or Dancer/Thief/Apothecary for some utility. And outside of the stat passives he doesn't really need to pick up much else, and he's not breaking 9999 soon so no need to rush for Warrior.

I’ve been using him as a backup Cleric and it works out pretty well.

Edit: to beat Karma I had Throné spam HP Thief a lot while lowering the boss’s attack regularly and then trying to buff my attack/debuff his defense right before breaking him so I could drop 11k damage or something while he was broken. It also helped to have the accessory that restores SP after every action, HP Thief and the buff/debuff moves cost 6 or fewer SP and the accessory restores 6 so you can do whatever you want without worrying about SP.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 8, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Aww, Mikka's Next Chapter was drat :3:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It is heck of cute, but it also left me puzzled that they had Laura Post on staff and just had her voice two minor characters.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So I pretty much explored every corner of the world before really engaging with anyone's stories. My main is Hikari who is well into the 60's for levels. I've finished Castii and I'm about to polish of Temenos. There's something a lot more engaging about this story and its characters for me, but I can't entirely put my finger on it. It's just good.

I do hope that the visual style upgrade over the first one is an indication of what's to come with similar games. DQIII 2DHD or whatever has a high bar to clear.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Levantine posted:

So I pretty much explored every corner of the world before really engaging with anyone's stories. My main is Hikari who is well into the 60's for levels. I've finished Castii and I'm about to polish of Temenos. There's something a lot more engaging about this story and its characters for me, but I can't entirely put my finger on it. It's just good.

I do hope that the visual style upgrade over the first one is an indication of what's to come with similar games. DQIII 2DHD or whatever has a high bar to clear.

Yeah I’m not nearly as far in as you and I’m kinda prepared to call this a classic. Though, if it has the same probs the first one did with the difficulty curve, maybe the last hurdle they could clear is something to address that. But giving us an open, flexible, somewhat non-linear game in this style with the benefit of nearly 30 years of hindsight and design improvements is kind of perfect, really. Everyone likes to say that some games appealing to nostalgia aren’t so much mimicing their predecessors as evoking their feel and I think this game nails that, but also does crib just enough from the past that it feels a little more authentic. not always to the good—bullshit encounter rate—and that’s what’s so cool about it.

I share your feeling about the writing and i’ve been struggling to figure out what it is that makes it so good. I’m way earlier in than you, but my partner and I had an exchange about the end of Throne’s chapter one. In spoilers though I’m sure most of you have gone way past this.

So when she meets up with her adopted brother and they’re about to throw down, we find out that Mother and Father have just been playing the kids off one another. That in and of itself is a pretty cool change to the common trope of a rat in the ranks. We called that there was no way it was the burly rear end in a top hat guy, because he was way too mean. We called that it was probably the sensible brother, because he was way too nice. What we did not call was his willingness to try killing Throne. They were doing that whole overwrought anime speech stuff, as you do, and my girlfriend goes, “Why don’t they just run away?”

I had forgotten about the collars, and we don’t really know at this point how they work. But my immediate, logical response was that they were in an abusive dynamic for probably all of their lives. You don’t think straight in those kinds of environments. It makes perfect sense, collars or no, for them to come to the conclusions they do, insisting that murdering one another is the only out. That works both on a mechanical level because you have to have a boss fight, and a narrative one because itt’s consistent behavior from characters in the situation they’re in.

There are so many ways they could have messed up in delivery of common themes and tropes. But they integrated story, gameplay, and genre savvy extremely well. It’s not necessarily the plot itself. It’s the confident understanding of narrative convention, reappropriation of stock character types with slight twists, and the thing that makes all stories work, consistent and believable characters acting like people. It might not be concise but that is the thing I think this game is doing well.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Okay, I haven’t been able to figure out the creepy little girl in Crackridge. Someone tell me what to do, I can’t find answer via Google.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Okay, I haven’t been able to figure out the creepy little girl in Crackridge. Someone tell me what to do, I can’t find answer via Google.

I was just about to ask this question also. I've explored the zone she seems to walk into but can't find anything despite time of day. I feel like I'm missing something, but not sure what. Though I did find this while googling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEto5lDOBRw (spoilers for a hidden sidequest, I guess).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Levantine posted:

I was just about to ask this question also. I've explored the zone she seems to walk into but can't find anything despite time of day. I feel like I'm missing something, but not sure what. Though I did find this while googling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEto5lDOBRw (spoilers for a hidden sidequest, I guess).

I’m extremely glad that this is possible, that poor kid lol

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I have a love hate relationship with the sidequests. On the one hand I think they're basically puzzles where you have to figure out which path skill you need to use and it's pretty clever at it since things like time of day actually matter. But some of them are frustrating and I'm always torn between just looking up the solution and waiting to figure it out.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ice Fist posted:

I have a love hate relationship with the sidequests. On the one hand I think they're basically puzzles where you have to figure out which path skill you need to use and it's pretty clever at it since things like time of day actually matter. But some of them are frustrating and I'm always torn between just looking up the solution and waiting to figure it out.

I have a little notepad I keep on my couch and I just add a note whenever I come across a sidequest that I can't immediately solve. Sooner or later I'll stumble across the item I need while exploring the world.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I hate the optional boss you have to fight solo. What an rear end in a top hat. I wish I could do more damage but your character absolutely must have a move that can break a shield no matter what, so I had to make Throné a Dancer instead of a Warrior which sucks rear end.

Steal a bunch of almighty soulstones and use those? They always damage shields and should drop a decent bit of non-elemental damage in the process.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite is the one in Stormhail, with the girl who is scared of something, but won't say what, and the clingy woman standing real close to the shopkeep. I figured I'd find a clue somewhere in town and left it alone, and forgot about it. Then I carried on with all the other things to do and came back to it like a month of in-game time later, and figured "hey maybe she'll talk if the clingy woman isn't there to stare her down" and gave the latter the ol' noggin-clonk. Turns out she had been holding up the store at knifepoint that whole time, whoops, sorry you had to stand there in fear for your life for weeks on end, that's on me.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SKULL.GIF posted:

I have a little notepad I keep on my couch and I just add a note whenever I come across a sidequest that I can't immediately solve. Sooner or later I'll stumble across the item I need while exploring the world.

I thought of that, but quickly decided I didn't want to keep notes. I've kept the faith for now, but we'll see as the game goes on if I throw in the towel on some of them.

I mean, the side quests usually have a solution that if you talk to other people in town methodically someone usually gives away the bacon. And if I come across a special marked item for sale I'll always buy/steal it. That covers ALOT of bases. It's just a handful I think that I'm like man I've spent 20 minutes on this ugh I just want to finish it. Then I remind myself that the solution will probably reveal itself later and just move on.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah I stole crepe or something in one of the eastern continent towns and it turned out to be for a side quest near Osvald's chapter 3. Thing is I have no idea when I picked it up, I was just stealing randomly from people.

The little girl seemed excited to have a month old crepe that a group of people have been carrying around though, so that's nice.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Steal a bunch of almighty soulstones and use those? They always damage shields and should drop a decent bit of non-elemental damage in the process.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just got temenos and lmao the priest beats people up to get info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

precision posted:

Just got temenos and lmao the priest beats people up to get info

As an Irish Catholic, Temenos is a... step up from what we have here.