Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Ah, just realized the trailer uses the distress call that was in a deleted scene here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvUbqY1S-QQ

And holy crap, that's where Prometheus got the repetitive noise for the end of the main trailer, too. It was a callback to the original. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

And holy crap, that's where Prometheus got the repetitive noise for the end of the main trailer, too. It was a callback to the original. Neat.

It was used in the original Alien's trailer too which is one of the greatest trailers ever made, like no trailer like this existed before it you mostly has the like three minute "THIS IS A STORY ABOUT A THING WHERE A MAN" like this poo poo rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ5lPt9edzQ

The scene is in the director's cut you can see on the various quadrilogy/anthology releases now but interestingly they used a different sound. It's more of a sweeping very low wailing.

I'm not sure of the reasoning I'm sure Xenomrph knows maybe what they had at the time was too poor quality for 2003 or they didn't where the original was, but I can see the reasoning in the movie itself since it's more mysterious sounding than the more "wtf is this poo poo gently caress no" reaction I'd think the original would have.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 3, 2023

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm not sure of the reasoning I'm sure Xenomrph knows maybe what they had at the time was too poor quality for 2003 or they didn't where the original was, but I can see the reasoning in the movie itself since it's more mysterious sounding than the more "wtf is this poo poo gently caress no" reaction I'd think the original would have.
There's a bit in the novelisation that stuck with me, and I was always disappointed it wasn't in even the cut scene: after listening to the transmission someone says "Maybe it's a voice," and the response from the others is basically "Haha... actually, poo poo, nope."

Imagine having the Engineers 'talk' with this terrifying screaming. :stare:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1631716698033201173

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

"Oh God what is that, WHAT IS THAT!"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

JeffLeonard posted:

In 1986, I was working as an usher at a movie theater and found out about Aliens only a month or so before it came out (when we got the trailer). One of the perks of this job was getting to see movies the night before or the morning before it was released. They would ship the film reels to us in several big metal cans, and the projectionists had to splice them all together on these huge platters. Then they would run the film through to make sure everything was working properly before the movie opened. Employees could come in and watch.

Best work experience of my life was 3 years at a theater from 99-01. I loved watching free movies all the time and was friends with the projectionist so if they had to screen something the night before they'd let me know.

Shortly after I left they went all digital and that really takes the magic out of it. Insert DVD, hit play. We had no formal training or anything so if I wasn't busy the projectionist would walk me through putting the film through the 15 different pully things. Splicing trailers and stuff but I never did that personally.

After Fight Club came out one of the guys got the bright idea to splice a few frames of Nadia's tits in American Pie into Toy Story 2. We stayed late loving with it until we got it right and had a great laugh but took it out before showing anyone of course.

I had a lot of fun with those people. I'm still good friends with a bunch of them 20 years later.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh yeah, as a budding teenage film buff one of the best things you can do is get a job at a theatre or befriend someone who works at one. I was lucky in that my best friend since cribs worked at downtown Toronto's biggest theatre, so between like 2004 and 2008 I saw so many movies for free. That was also when weed still actually got me incredibly high. Those were the days. Whenever he's in town we make a point to hit up the theatre with our wrecking crew, but we haven't had a proper pre-show joint rotation in a while. Even though it's legal now, I would still love to head out to the alley behind the theatre to toke up. The full experience, you know.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Shortly after I left they went all digital and that really takes the magic out of it. Insert DVD, hit play. We had no formal training or anything so if I wasn't busy the projectionist would walk me through putting the film through the 15 different pully things. Splicing trailers and stuff but I never did that personally.

Lucky. I know how the reel changing works but I've always wanted to see it in action/learn how to do it from a projectionist. Closest I ever got was, on some trip to a local sleep-away camp in eighth grade, the camp had this dusty old projector in one of the common buildings (I think it was actually a little chapel). For some reason, the film they had ordered was The Phantom Menace, so one rainy night myself and a couple other enterprising young dweebs figured out how to thread the projector and get it running. We did accidentally melt holes in some frames with the lamp before getting the motors running.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Looks more like something out of GTFO than an xeno, TBH.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Holy poo poo. This thread is 4 years old as of today. :)

So you're saying I've been thinking about Aliens for 4 years now?

Seems like longer than that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Don't be afraid.
I'm part of the family.
You've been in my life so long,
I can't remember anything else.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It's coming around again

New ‘Alien’ Movie Starts Filming in March, Reveals Cryptic Synopsis and Full Cast

Written and directed by Fede Alvarez, the ninth film in the franchise stars Cailee Spaeny

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/new-alien-movie-plot-synopsis-full-cast-1235542570/

While the premise for the yet-to-be-titled movie has been kept under wraps, the studio did reveal that the film will follow “a group of young people on a distant world, who find themselves in a confrontation with the most terrifying life form in the universe.”

Those who will be faced with the terrifying forms are David Jonsson (“Industry”), Archie Renaux (“Shadow and Bone”), Isabela Merced (“Rosaline”), Spike Fearn (“The Batman”) and Aileen Wu (“Away from Home”), all of whom will join the previously announced lead, Cailee Spaeny (“Mare of Easttown”).

In addition to the cast announcement, 20th Century Studios announced that the ninth film in the franchise will begin production on March 9 in Budapest.

Fede Alvarez, serves as the director, screenwriter and producer, following his direction of horror films, “The Girl in the Spider’s Web,” “Don’t Breathe” and the “Evil Dead” remake. Under the Scott Free banner, original “Alien” director, Ridley Scott serves as an executive producer with Michael Pruss (“Our Friend”). Scott and Pruss are joined by producers Brent O’Connor (“Bullet Train”), Elizabeth Cantillon (“Persuasion”) and Tom Moran (“The Donut King”).

The untitled project joins the prequel series, which first premiered in 2012, with “Prometheus,” followed by “Alien: Covenant.” The prequel series is the latest iteration, and follows the original series which began in 1979, with “Alien,” followed by “Aliens,” “Alien 3,” “Alien Resurrection,” and then the crossover series which began in 2004, with “Alien vs. Predator” and “Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem.”

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BiggerBoat posted:

Not just thinking, but expressing your feelings about Aliens.

And that's what counts. :)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Last Call posted:

New ‘Alien’ Movie Starts Filming in March, Reveals Cryptic Synopsis and Full Cast

Everything about this sounds like absolute dogshit and yet Fede Alvarez has me completely on-board with giving it a shot. I'm looking forward to handsome photography, a complete retread of the same old story we've already seen nearly a dozen times, and some weirdly unnecessary edgelord bullshit.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Not just thinking, but expressing your feelings about Aliens.

For example, horniness

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

The Last Call posted:

The untitled project joins the prequel series, which first premiered in 2012, with “Prometheus,” followed by “Alien: Covenant.” The prequel series is the latest iteration, and follows the original series which began in 1979, with “Alien,” followed by “Aliens,” “Alien 3,” “Alien Resurrection,” and then the crossover series which began in 2004, with “Alien vs. Predator” and “Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem.”

Just tell us if it’s going to be R18 or not and we can judge how bad it’s going to be from that

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Screams inside my head for a week, but am still turned on

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Screams inside my head for a week, but am still turned on

Monitor must have been off.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Monitor must have been off.

loving PECO

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Predator 1 and 2

She's ready for Prey.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
*finds egg*
“Hola! Soy Doraaaaaaaaaa-uhk”

The Last Call posted:

It's coming around again

Those who will be faced with the terrifying forms are David Jonsson (“Industry”), Archie Renaux (“Shadow and Bone”), Isabela Merced (“Rosaline”), Spike Fearn (“The Batman”) and Aileen Wu (“Away from Home”), all of whom will join the previously announced lead, Cailee Spaeny (“Mare of Easttown”).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Best work experience of my life was 3 years at a theater from 99-01. I loved watching free movies all the time and was friends with the projectionist so if they had to screen something the night before they'd let me know.

After Fight Club came out one of the guys got the bright idea to splice a few frames of Nadia's tits in American Pie into Toy Story 2. We stayed late loving with it until we got it right and had a great laugh but took it out before showing anyone of course.

I had a lot of fun with those people. I'm still good friends with a bunch of them 20 years later.
My friend was a projectionist, so I was able to see a lot of movies after hours, it was awesome. Then one day he called me at midnight, in a panic, because he'd had a 'brain wrap' and needed help. I had no clue what I was walking into. We were there for like 4 hours untangling a thousand miles of film.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slugworth posted:

My friend was a projectionist, so I was able to see a lot of movies after hours, it was awesome. Then one day he called me at midnight, in a panic, because he'd had a 'brain wrap' and needed help. I had no clue what I was walking into. We were there for like 4 hours untangling a thousand miles of film.
Thank you, this hit a specific wholesome nostalgia-by-proxy chord that I very much needed today :3:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

mllaneza posted:

She's ready for Prey.

This would be a great option, really. It's the real Predator 3, with a badass lady-type protagonist.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Slugworth posted:

Brain wraps are terrible. That film is super heavy. The audience finds out by the screen image melting.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
apparently Czech, Mi-24 Hind.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:stare:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:stwoon:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

We Endanger Species

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Is the facehugger form a kite?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There's this toy line called MEGABOX and another one from the same people called BEASTBOX and basically they're like, brightly colored robotic versions of mythical creatures, animals, etc. that you can fold up into a box that they fit into, so you can have stack them onto each other.

Anyway you may notice a familiar face there, I have to say, bio-mechanical creature, folds unnaturally into a box shape? The transformation process evokes Geiger's life cycle art for the first movie? I finally got this little chap and this has to be the most perfect brand synergy ever made lol

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

HiroProtagonist posted:

apparently Czech, Mi-24 Hind.

And like that I already lost no nut November ahead of time.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

happyhippy posted:

Ah, just realized the trailer uses the distress call that was in a deleted scene here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvUbqY1S-QQ

I think this is the other way around; that's a fan edit using the trailer noise as the signal (which is a pretty clever idea).

If I recall the main reason that scene was cut was because they couldn't decide on a sound they liked best for the signal, even after they got Ben Burtt from Star Wars to give them a couple design options.

Edit: I mean "a couple dozen options," not "a couple design options," lol

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 8, 2023

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Space Jam posted:

i was thinking earlier how loving hard the original trailer for alien goes. my interest in the alien films comes from when i went to disney world a few times as a kid and the great movie ride would play trailers on a screen while you waited in line and the alien trailer was one of them. it’s probably one of the best trailers ever made.

I remember like 15 years ago coming across a "100 best movie trailers of all time" countdown and casually thinking "Hmm I bet Alien is pretty high on this list, or at least it should be, dammit." I get through #2 and start feeling apprehensive because now I know Alien is either at the top or simply not on the list entirely. It was literally all or nothing, baby, at the click of a mouse.

Of course Alien was #1. :cheers:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I remember like 15 years ago coming across a "100 best movie trailers of all time" countdown and casually thinking "Hmm I bet Alien is pretty high on this list, or at least it should be, dammit." I get through #2 and start feeling apprehensive because now I know Alien is either at the top or simply not on the list entirely. It was literally all or nothing, baby, at the click of a mouse.

Of course Alien was #1. :cheers:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

MrMojok posted:

A thousand times, this. I was ten and I'd seen a couple of R-rated films at the time, and my Mom and I had seen this trailer, and seen Siskel and Ebert and Gene Shalit review the film, but we had no idea what we were really in for.

e: You'll notice that they never show even a single shot of the creature, which is like a child's nightmares brought to life. It was so insanely scary to me at the time, I had no words to even describe it.

The filmmakers and the studio knew the movie nailed it with the creature. They could play the carnival-esque "do you dare witness the terrifying visage of ALIEN???" card, bring in skeptical audiences assuming they were either bluffing or making a "it's scarier what you don't see" gesture, and then just totally rock their socks off because they had the most badass monster in the history of movies.

(Starlog Magzine, June 1979) Sorry for the formatting!
Despite Fox's "conspiracy of silence" re-
garding the nature and appearance of the
alien, enough information has filtered
through the celluloid curtain to suggest that
it will be one of the strangest creatures ever
seen on film. Rumors say that it changes
shape throughout the picture. Veronica
Cartwright, who plays Navigator Lambert
(and was last seen as Nancy Bellicec in the
remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers,)
describes it as a parasite that chooses Ex-
ecutive Officer Kane (played by British ac-
tor John Hurt) as its host.

H. R. Giger, the Swiss surrealist artist
who designed the beast, the ancient land-
scapes of its planet and an equally ancient
alien spacecraft, says of the alien, "It is
elegant, fast and terrible. It exists to destroy
—and destroys to exist. Once seen, it will
never be forgotten. It will remain with peo-
ple who have seen it, perhaps in their
dreams or nightmares, for a long, longtime.
Perhaps for all time. I even dream about the
alien myself—so much that I'm often
frightened of going to sleep."
Before
Giger's awesome statements can be dis-
missed as exaggeration, it would be wise to
view his previous work. His paintings, as
collected in a book called Giger's Necro-
nomicon, are eerily overpowering—jarring
juxtapositions of bone, flesh and
machinery in intricate designs of cold,
unearthly beauty.

Dan O'Bannon, the screenwriter who
conceived the creature, is especially
cautious when discussing the alien.
"Frankly," says O'Bannon, "I think Fox
is doing the right thing by playing their cards
so close to the vest with this. People are go-
ing to pay their $4.50, come in, sit down and
say 'Show me'—and boy, are we gonna
show them!

"I will tell you this, though—it is scary.
In fact, Fox is planning previews in several
cities to determine if it's too scary, before
they make the final cut.

(The Anniston Star Sun, June 24th 1979)
This summer, it’s Alien, hands-down the monster movie with the most revolting monster you ever saw in your life...
— the monster is just so gruesomely, disgustingly AWFUL
, especially when it shrieks and goes running off. The rest of the film is spent watching the monster munch down members of the crew like Pop Tarts while they try to kill it...

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your
pulse rifle; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be
dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Weyland Yutani nightshirts.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Just idly browsing Instagram when…

…I begin thinking about Aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your
pulse rifle; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be
dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Weyland Yutani nightshirts.

I appreciate this.