Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

DiomedesGodshill posted:

So we're just going to ignore the Liechtenstein in the room?

No no this guy is on to something

Der Kyhe posted:

There is a gripping movie about Finland going into a war with Luxemburg: https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kummeli_Stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Finland also got into a hyperwar with Korea

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Are you sure? IIRC 3 out of 4 lines are inoperable.

No, I'm not sure. If that's true, I'm wrong.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Finland also got into a hyperwar with Korea

EMUs! :argh:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Xavier Bettel hid the facts

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Anyone able to give a summary of what's going on in Georgia? Those few tweets are the first I've heard of anything happening.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

EasilyConfused posted:

Anyone able to give a summary of what's going on in Georgia? Those few tweets are the first I've heard of anything happening.

Georgians are upset about the "foreign agent" registration law that just passed.

It's very similar to Russia's foreign agent law

Here's Johnny harris talking about it as part of a larger discussion. It's worth a listen for anyone interested in Ukraine / Russia in general.

https://youtu.be/u550Si9rNv4

To understand the law that Georgia is upset about you must understand the Russian law and that's why I'm bringing it up.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 7, 2023

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Georgians are upset about the "foreign agent" registration law that just passed.
https://twitter.com/Roadster1978/status/1633230856335523841
American agent provocateurs has also been seen handing out cookies. It's blatant.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1632689111289982976?s=20

big fans

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1633227983480578051

I'm just going to spend 80% of my time totally not reading out a prepared speech about how Germany is planning to take over part of Ukraine and it will be used as a spear head to invade russia

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tai posted:

I'm just going to spend 80% of my time totally not reading out a prepared speech about how Germany is planning to take over part of Ukraine and it will be used as a spear head to invade russia

Lmao at accusing Germany of lebensraum-seeking in 2023, literally every single thing the Russian government says is projection. This was true during the Soviet years as well - the adage, "If you want to know what the USSR is doing, look at what it accuses its enemies of doing", it never stopped being true

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tai posted:

Makes a change from constantly accusing Poland of wanting to do it I guess lmao :dumb:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
How could merkins do this....

Sorry... had to.
===

Power Khan posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1632824013868105733

Doctors not accepting bribes is pretty shocking tbh. THE sign that things are not going well

Joseph Heller posted:

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind.

Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane, he had to fly them. If he flew them, he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to, he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
:hmmyes:
===

HonorableTB posted:

MAP

This is the latest developments around Bakhmut based on OSINT, geolocated data, and battle information is sourced to the daily briefs of the UKR General Staff and others.

The Russians are getting stalled out by Ukrainian air power, which marks a distinct uptick in aviation usage in Bakhmut specifically. Air defense is too thick on the ground in the area as seen by UKR air defense downing a RU SU-24 and Ukrainian SEAD strikes against SAMs. Ukrainian air defense also downed 8 RU recon drones, so seeing 12 Ukrainian sorties in such a short time is a departure from previous operations

Russian casualties for the day reach 1,030 confirmed KIA and 4,240 casualties in total for the day (WIA/KIA/MIA). They lost 23 artillery systems today as well (sourced from minusrus). It's almost certain that Russian offensive will culminate soon if it hasn't already.
There was that deep-dive posted a couple of days ago that reported Zelensky had asked two of his generals whether they should try to hold and both said yes.... but jesus that looks tenuous.

==
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glggureA_Kk
:smith:

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
For all the Nordstream chat, if they wanted to keep using it, couldn’t they just, like, repair it?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Brits wish they had squirrel. Now they're so broke they are eating fish 'n chips without the fish. Just the chips. And no that's not hyperbole. Brexit really hosed over fishing hard.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Squirrel and chips just doesn't hit the same.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Cant wait for this war to spill out into the rest of the world

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They could make a wicked spice bag out of them though. I'll eat any old mystery meat that's sufficiently battered, deep fried, and coated with salt, spices, and spring onions.

They could call them squirrel sacks.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Brits wish they had squirrel. Now they're so broke they are eating fish 'n chips without the fish. Just the chips. And no that's not hyperbole. Brexit really hosed over fishing hard.

It did? I saw gently caress all difference tbh.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

O i should follow up. Prices did increase though by 15% or so about a year ago though. There is a reason why but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it will come to me.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

No no this guy is on to something

Der Kyhe posted:

There is a gripping movie about Finland going into a war with Luxemburg: https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kummeli_Stories

The war between Luxembourg and Finland sets the outline to a set of comedic stories about a rally team, gay couple's fishing trip, two hoodlums' last school days in the spring and a haunted hotel among others.

:hmmyes:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Mr.Acula posted:

Cant wait for this war to spill out into the rest of the world

Explain this post for the class.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If the war was going to spill out in the rest of the world it probably would have happened when Russia was firing missiles at civilian shipping vessels in the Black Sea when they were under foreign flags

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

stonko! Cukoce estvmin likv?

this guy is going to get erased so hard it's gonna look like that photo of Stalin with the guys he had liquidated and edited out of the shot

I honestly expect Ukrainian prison to try to keep the guy alive to last until tribunal/court happens, just to make an example of him. It may muddy the water of "was it Russia or Russian agents" but the victims are well established as is the law's punishment for such malice. And an official record of grievances suffered as a result of this war matter for assigning blame and reconstruction efforts.

It's not like they're going to shoot him for saying some Russian nationalist line.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

For all the Nordstream chat, if they wanted to keep using it, couldn’t they just, like, repair it?

Yeah, but who's "they"? Germany doesn't want to pay to repair it and probably couldn't lease equipment or expertise to Russia due to sanctions even if it did. Russia might not have the capability to go it alone, and it would be pointless to do so as long as Germany's stance is "we're not buying any gas that comes through those/from Russia".

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Apparently a tank battle around Vuhledar with a Ukrainian win today? Lots of Russian armor/tanks taken out? Maybe they should just go home.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm very glad to see this thread in GBS, I tried some of the other forums's threads but they weren't as news oriented as this one.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Apparently a tank battle around Vuhledar with a Ukrainian win today? Lots of Russian armor/tanks taken out? Maybe they should just go home.

This video seems to say so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cmnaxoEq5c

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Carth Dookie posted:

Squirrel and chips just doesn't hit the same.

Chips and Dale.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

It is, but it's just the collective results of the Russians bashing their heads against the town for the last month or so. Nothing specifically that happened all at once recently. They're still attacking the town but now mostly with infantry and whatever artillery they can scrape together.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Tank combat at distances of 5KM, beyond the ability of the tankers to even see what they are shooting at, as drone operators act as forward observers and correct the tankers fire.

And they did it in T-62s. Holy poo poo.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I think anyone seeing a chip butty, fairy bread or a toast sandwich for the first time is allowed to make some stark judgements about the islands ability to feed itself long term.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

PinheadSlim posted:

Tank combat at distances of 5KM, beyond the ability of the tankers to even see what they are shooting at, as drone operators act as forward observers and correct the tankers fire.

Is that because the Russian tanks are pretty much stationary?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
From what I understood from the video it's more an evolution of the second part of their anti-mech tactics. They have infantry teams going in with anti-tank weapons that take out the lead and rear vehicles. It's at that point that tanks and artillery start trying to hit vehicles stuck in the middle. It's just that now that they've found a way to put their tanks out of counter-fire range while they do it.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

PinheadSlim posted:

This is probably a typo, the Ukrainians haven't been using the T-62 to my knowledge. Plenty of T-64/72/80 to go around and the T-62 would be a nightmare to keep in the field logistically with basically zero benefit over any of the other options (and at least as much overhead to restore one as one of the more modern captures). No documented losses of any T-62's by the Ukrainians, either.

Use of the T-62 is one of the reasons you can be damned sure the Russians are scraping the bottom of the barrel for *any* tank right now. The T-62 doesn't share parts, main gun ammunition, or basically anything else in a logistics train aside from MG ammo and fuel. It was also a pretty bad tank, quickly relegated to rear echelon duty shortly after entering service back in the 60's and 70's it saw little voluntary international adoption, domestic upgrades, or even new ammunition production due to it generally just being a very mediocre machine. Which is why Russia still has some in a somewhat functional state - nobody was looking to buy them or parts for them.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

DiomedesGodshill posted:

So we're just going to ignore the Liechtenstein in the room?

It's pronounced Liechten-steen

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

This guy is a good source of information but I would advise people to note that he does tend to fall on the optimistic side of things way more often than the realistic side of things, and his clickbait-y titles can be quite misleading on occasion. Consider him the USA Today of battle updates

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Round-Up of News of the Day

Office of the President of Ukraine

quote:

https://www.president.gov.ua/en/news/ukrayina-zavzhdi-pamyatatime-svoyih-geroyiv-nasha-pamyat-pro-81485

Ukraine will always remember its heroes, our memory of them will endure, and our enemy will perish - address by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy
7 March 2023 - 19:00

Today, Dmytro Kotsiubaylo, "Da Vinci", Hero of Ukraine, volunteer, man-symbol, man of courage, was killed in action. A fighter of the 67th separate mechanized brigade, a commander of a battalion. He was killed in the battle near Bakhmut, in the battle for Ukraine.

Since 2014, he has been defending our independence and the dignity of our people. One of the youngest heroes of Ukraine. One of those whose personal history, character, and courage have forever become the history, character, and courage of Ukraine.

For more than nine years, Ukrainian heroes have been fighting for Ukraine's future in fierce battles for the country. Peace and relative safety in the rear cities is their feat. Our confidence in Ukraine's victory is their resilience and strength.

Ukraine will always remember its heroes. Our memory of them will endure, and the enemy that came to Ukraine will perish.

Kyiv Independent

quote:

https://kyivindependent.com/news-feed/hero-of-ukraine-dmytro-kotsiubailo-killed-in-action

Hero of Ukraine Dmytro Kotsiubailo killed in action near Bakhmut
by The Kyiv Independent news desk
March 7, 2023 7:40 pm

Dmytro Kotsiubailo, commander of the First Mechanized Battalion "Da Vinci Wolves" and Hero of Ukraine, was killed in action near Bakhmut, President Volodymyr Zelensky reported on March 7.

"He has been defending our independence and the dignity of our people since 2014. One of the youngest heroes of Ukraine. One of those whose personal history, character, and courage forever became the history, character, and courage of Ukraine," Zelensky said in a video address.

Kotsiubailo (call sign Da Vinci) became one of the youngest Ukrainian servicemen to receive the Hero of Ukraine national title in 2021. He was killed at the age of 27.

Kotsiubailo, whose battalion is part of the 67th Mechanized Brigade, took part in the EuroMaidan in 2014, soon after joining the Right Sector Ukrainian Volunteer Corps and fighting off Russia in Ukraine's Donbas region.

In November 2022, the Right Sector Ukrainian Volunteer Corps was reformatted into the 67th Separate Mechanized Brigade, with Kotsiubailo as head of one of the brigade's battalions. The Right Sector is a Ukrainian nationalist movement.

quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmytro_Kotsiubailo

Dmytro Kotsiubailo
(Redirected from Dmytro Kotsyubaylo)

Dmytro Kotsiubailo (Ukrainian: Дмитро Іванович Коцюбайло, nickname Da Vinci (Ukrainian: Да Вінчі); 1 November 1995 – 7 March 2023) was a Ukrainian volunteer, soldier, junior lieutenant, a commander of the 1st Mechanized Battalion of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. He was a participant in the Russo-Ukrainian War. He is a Hero of Ukraine (2021). He was a member of the Leadership of the Right Sector (2020—2023). Kotsiubailo was the youngest battalion commander in the history of the Ukrainian Army.

Kotsiubailo was the first volunteer to be awarded the title Hero of Ukraine for life.[1] In 2022 he was included in the 30 under 30: Faces of the Future rating by Forbes.[2]

quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_Sector

Right Sector

Right Sector (Ukrainian: Пра́вий се́ктор, Pravyi sektor) is a loosely defined coalition of right-wing to far-right[10] Ukrainian nationalist organizations.[3][11] It originated in November 2013 as a right-wing, paramilitary confederation of several radical nationalist organizations at the Euromaidan revolt in Kyiv,[6] where its street fighters participated in clashes with riot police.[12][13] The coalition became a political party on 22 March 2014, at which time it claimed to have roughly 10,000 members.[14][15] Founding groups included Trident (Tryzub), led by Dmytro Yarosh and Andriy Tarasenko, and the Ukrainian National Assembly–Ukrainian National Self-Defense (UNA–UNSO), a political and paramilitary organization.[16][17][18] Other founding groups included the Social-National Assembly and its Patriot of Ukraine paramilitary wing, White Hammer, and Carpathian Sich. White Hammer was expelled in March 2014,[19] and Patriot of Ukraine left the organization, along with many UNA–UNSO members, in the following months.[20]

The Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported antisemitic incidents involving Svoboda and Right Sector during the demonstration, where their militants were calling political opponents "Zhyd" and flying flags with neo-Nazi symbols. According to Haaretz, these organizations were also distributing translated editions of Mein Kampf and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion to the demonstrators in Independence Square.[55]

Right Sector has been described in various ways by the media.[131] BBC News describes it as a "Ukrainian nationalist group"[22] and an "umbrella organization of far-right groups",[132] while Time has described it as a "radical right-wing group ... a coalition of militant ultra-nationalists",[25] with an ideology that "borders on fascism".[13] The New York Times has described it as a "nationalist group" and a "coalition of once-fringe Ukrainian nationalist groups".[4] The Guardian has identified it as a "nationalist Ukrainian group",[133] Reuters as a "far-right nationalist group",[134] Agence France Presse as a "far-right" group,[10] and The Wall Street Journal as an "umbrella group for far-right activists and ultranationalists".[135] Die Welt, the New York Times, and Le Monde diplomatique have described some of Right Sector's constituent groups as radical right-wing, neofascist, or neo-Nazi, but also that it distanced itself from antisemitism.[136][42][45] According to a publication in The Washington Post, "Operating in Ukraine are several nationalist paramilitary groups, such as the Azov movement and Right Sector, that espouse neo-Nazi ideology. While high-profile, they appear to have little public support. Only one far-right party, Svoboda, is represented in Ukraine’s parliament, and it only holds one seat."[137]

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Kchama posted:

Explain this post for the class.

I would like for the world as we know it to end and Putin will usher us into this glorious new era

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD

Comstar posted:

Is that because the Russian tanks are pretty much stationary?

UA used drones to see what the Russian scouts were doing and were able to deduce their planned route of attack, so the tanks were dialed in before the enemy arrived.