Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Coincidentally, signups on the main instance of Mastodon, https://mastodon.social/auth/sign_up are up now if anyone was looking to escape the tire fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

https://twitter.com/iamharaldur/status/1632843191773716481

This thread is insane.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The obsequiousness is absolutely pathetic. "Oh, it is completely within your rights to fire me, but pretty please tell me if that actually happened, also here's all the stuff I did."

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I know tech jobs are being cut all over but jeeze have some self respect and stop playing Musks dumb games, you're obviously no longer employed there and why would you want to be?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If and only if your paychecks come in, you’re employed there. Not that complicated

That said, your HR department going radio silent is not exactly a good sign for the future or for other employees

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Popete posted:

I know tech jobs are being cut all over but jeeze have some self respect and stop playing Musks dumb games, you're obviously no longer employed there and why would you want to be?
Weren't most of the people working at Twitter after those initial purges either Musk sycophants or H1B visa people that didn't have a choice? When you see tweets like these it pretty much confirms it IMO.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I'm laughing more at Musk's choice to carry that conversation out publicly on Twitter instead of, I don't know, having HR look into it?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Popete posted:

He's European, and was the owner of a company that Twitter acquired, so what he's really asking here is "should I be expecting my contractually-required severance check to show up in a couple of days, or is my lawyer going to get to file a slam dunk lawsuit against you?".

He wrote it nice and polite because that looks good in the courtroom, and that definitely seems to be where this is heading.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Instead of debasing himself like this he should have actually had his lawyer send a letter. Which would also look nice in court.

Nickaroni
Feb 16, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Instead of debasing himself like this he should have actually had his lawyer send a letter. Which would also look nice in court.

This way he maybe gets a cool story about how he baited Elon Musk into admitting wrongdoing via tweet and then hammered him in court.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

That dude is apparently a beloved national figure in Iceland for spending his Twitter buyout money on improving disability access across the country via wheelchair ramps and such, for which he was knighted. He also has muscular dystrophy.

He's definitely playing poo poo up to make Musk look like even more of a tool in a court of law for his inevitable contract litigation.

Edit: https://twitter.com/iamharaldur/status/1481692320466620422

I am guessing this dude does not give a poo poo about whether or not he looks dumb on the internet to a certain subset of people.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 7, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also he did get to the point.

https://twitter.com/iamharaldur/status/1632915201652662276

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Cabbit posted:

He's definitely playing poo poo up to make Musk look like even more of a tool in a court of law for his inevitable contract litigation.

May go beyond contract litigation and into anti-discrimination law now, given that Musk can’t help himself

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1633016157568651264?s=46&t=lz1DjwUk2vgFTdWPPaLwfA

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Noxville posted:

May go beyond contract litigation and into anti-discrimination law now, given that Musk can’t help himself

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1633016157568651264?s=46&t=lz1DjwUk2vgFTdWPPaLwfA

uh...that's not what words or laws mean Elon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Musk has never cared about laws before and he's not about to start now.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Noxville posted:

Every HR person in the world just spontaneously combusted.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/iamharaldur/status/1633082717838487552

I like this guy, I think.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lol ok this guy is alright.

Musk truly can't help making any situation worse.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
No wonder Musk hates the guy.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I cannot believe I just saw a CEO disclose an employee's medical condition on twitter and pretty much make fun of him for it. What a shitshow the entire thing is.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
If all of the lawyers that could sue Musk are already suing him, there can't be anymore lawsuits!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Morrow posted:

If all of the lawyers that could sue Musk are already suing him, there can't be anymore lawsuits!

ah the killbot strategy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I withdraw my poorly considered objection, this guy clearly knows what he's doing.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

LegionAreI posted:

Every HR person in the world just spontaneously combusted.

death cob for cutie posted:

Im goign to loving shti tmyself

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm just gonna use what I put in the Idiots on Social Media thread.

Halli - Haraldur Þorleifsson - is famous. He is a beloved figure in Iceland who spent his Twitter buyout money funding wheelchair accessibility, after paying the extra tax rate, saying he'd do it again because it pays for medical assistance like he got, because he has muscular dystrophy. Which is why, now, in his 40s, he doesn't do a lot of direct typing but is exactly the kind of person you want (and, indeed, Twitter used to pay him and the company he founded for) organizational and PR roles. He's been given awards by Iceland (Order of the Falcon, for contributions to social issues - it's not his first award from Iceland) and the UN (for Ramp Up Reykjavik/Iceland, his organization for getting wheelchair accessibility everywhere).

He absolutely knows what he's doing, and it's working. Given the choice between 'Elon Musk, notorious rear end in a top hat' and 'Haraldur Þorleifsson, successful businessman and philanthropist', only one person can possibly look good here.

Edit: Part of the reason he is still getting paid by Twitter is because he didn't allow his buyout to be in the form of capital gains - he intentionally classified it as wages so he was in the higher tax bracket. Elon is going against that. It looks awful even for him, and while I doubt he'll suffer any serious consequences, he definitely looks like an idiot and will lose any related lawsuit.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 7, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have a very funny update to this story

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1633259126771036160?s=20

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:lol: that had to be so difficult for Musk to type out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Popete posted:

:lol: that had to be so difficult for Musk to type out.

Wonder how many lawyers were standing around him

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta fire him."

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Funnier is the last part of this tweet:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1633240643727138824

I wonder if he will internalize this lesson learned (he won't)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Elon Musk: Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I would be very disappointed in Iceland Man if he decides to let Musk off the hook.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Shammypants posted:

I would be very disappointed in Iceland Man if he decides to let Musk off the hook.

Well part of the risk is that if he goes for the full value, it could get wiped out in the almost inevitable bankruptcy after getting tied down in litigation for years.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shammypants posted:

If the end result of this is his personal situation doesn't change plus he can also say he humiliated the former richest man in the world on his own web site, he'll probably be happy (and also be looking to make a more graceful exit)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

lol that guy put Elon over a barrel in less than 24 hours with a zero-effort bait tweet

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Elon Musk: Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how Twitter works but can you privately message people? Seems this whole thing could have been avoided if Musk had simply had a private conversation instead of immediatly challenging the guy to prove his worth in public.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Popete posted:

I don't know how Twitter works but can you privately message people? Seems this whole thing could have been avoided if Musk had simply had a private conversation instead of immediatly challenging the guy to prove his worth in public.

Absolutely correct, but you can't expect a chronic reply guy like Musk to do anything but openly and immediately reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Neo Rasa posted:

Absolutely correct, but you can't expect a chronic reply guy like Musk to do anything but openly and immediately reply.

That's one thing but he also 100% thought it was a random employee he could humiliate in public and then assumed his disability was some sort of scam. He hasn't tipped his hand like this since the pedo tweet or his infantile feud with the SEC.

As the worlds richest person he is a very fitting figurehead for our economic system.