Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
20 hours from now: “Due to an issue where the weapon had infinite melee range we have disabled Vexcalibur in all content”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Oxyclean posted:

I repeat: I wasn't even aware energy shields were literal in-story things. You're not supposed to think too hard about them in the same way you don't think about weapon infusion or other gameplay constructs.

I'll concede that they could have thrown in a line about how the shields are some strange darkness power that they don't understand, but we know to be Strand, or presence of the Veil, after all, we're the only ones that actually see strand in it's natural state.

This seems extremely like a thing everyone would shrug off if the rest of the story wasn't a hot mess otherwise.

“I don’t know what I’m talking about but here’s why you should listen to me”

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Now that's the stuff baby. Oded Fehr would probably sprint to the studio RIGHT now to record a line about how Calus equipped his elite with armor that could resist anything he knew we were capable of after monitoring us for years and the only thing that can cut through it is the Unexpected etc etc

In a similar vein, the Veil also makes perfect sense, once you've done the Rohan's Legacy quest, listened to Jisu Colorado's dialogue, also read the leaked lore for the next year. There's not an issue of 'The Veil makes no sense', just an issue of 'why the heck didn't they establish any of this during the campaign lol'

yeah I agree, I feel like it's an easy problem to run into when you're developing a story like this and trying to structure it to an open world game under a time limit while also doing all of this other poo poo.

Though for the record I think a lot of people just missed the point with the Radial Mast. It's a light artifact, the Witness is using it, that's weird, that's it. Ghost establishes this in like mission 3

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Also if anyone is similarly uneducated about what the elements are, go check out the buckets next to osiris on Neomuna.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

arsenicCatnip posted:

it counts instances of damage, not total damage. A lot of rapid-fire damage from an automatic weapon or something that deals damage over time like anarchy or osteo poison will give you a lot more than a shotgun blast, even if the shotgun does more.

See, this is what I read and how I understood it worked. So something like Quicksilver Storm with its high ROF plus missiles should be pretty decent at proccing it, right? But I swear I can empty mags on a beefy target and my grenade energy doesn't go up any quicker.

I'll have to give Osteo a go.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the strand shield is kinda funny but if you're actually mad about it then lmao

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

arsenicCatnip posted:

yeah I agree, I feel like it's an easy problem to run into when you're developing a story like this and trying to structure it to an open world game under a time limit while also doing all of this other poo poo.

Though for the record I think a lot of people just missed the point with the Radial Mast. It's a light artifact, the Witness is using it, that's weird, that's it. Ghost establishes this in like mission 3

Using it for what, Ben? loving Aquaman?

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Junkenstein posted:

See, this is what I read and how I understood it worked. So something like Quicksilver Storm with its high ROF plus missiles should be pretty decent at proccing it, right? But I swear I can empty mags on a beefy target and my grenade energy doesn't go up any quicker.

I'll have to give Osteo a go.

there's definitely nuances to it that I still don't quite get, I would've also assumed Quicksilver would pair well. DoT is the safest bet from what I've seen, and Anarchy+ Unravel is good DPS as well so it works out nicely.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Using it for what, Ben? loving Aquaman?

To link with the veil and use it's power to carve into the traveler, did you play the loving video game?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Also if anyone is similarly uneducated about what the elements are, go check out the buckets next to osiris on Neomuna.

You get a triumph, or whatever the gently caress they're calling them these days

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

arsenicCatnip posted:

To link with the veil and use it's power to carve into the traveler, did you play the loving video game?

Hrm no that’s not what happened or was ever shown so maybe I played a different one where I blew it up before any of that could happen or be explained

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Quicksilver Storm seems really loving good. Especially after I got the catalyst for it. Really hard to swap to something else...

How do you get this?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Who decided that it was called Strand(a dogshit name) to begin with?

Osiris, in a lore card

The dialog assumes you read the card at the right moment but gives no hints about when that moment is. I don’t know if it’s even unlocked at that point

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How do you get this?
Progress enough into the lightfall campaign and you should eventually have a quest pop up, something like "any port in a storm."

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
eventually, something will explain what the hell the travelussy is

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There's lots of parts of Destiny and it is cool & good to like the parts of it that you want to, though

(except gambit)

that’s right, king

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ex post facho posted:

eventually, something will explain what the hell the travelussy is

It's just a hole. The Veil is literally the Traveler's heart, mysteriously removed and placed on Neomuna for reasons UNKNOWN!

Witness didn't need any help cutting a hole in the Traveler, but without the heart there wouldn't have been any benefit to cutting it open.

The events of WQ Campaign & Spire of the Watcher should explain why the Traveler's guts were on Neomuna, the upcoming raid should explain why Nezarec's soul was stashed there with it (and his corpse left on the moon), and the remainder of this year will start to piece together what's on the other side of the Traveler's Gut Portal

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's just a hole. The Veil is literally the Traveler's heart, mysteriously removed and placed on Neomuna for reasons UNKNOWN!

Witness didn't need any help cutting a hole in the Traveler, but without the heart there wouldn't have been any benefit to cutting it open.

The events of WQ Campaign & Spire of the Watcher should explain why the Traveler's guts were on Neomuna, the upcoming raid should explain why Nezarec's soul was stashed there with it (and his corpse left on the moon), and the remainder of this year will start to piece together what's on the other side of the Traveler's Gut Portal

The Veil is not the heart of the Traveler. The Veil "connects to the traveler's pale heart", according to the newscast. This implies that the Veil is not the heart, and that connecting the Veil to it opens a portal.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
My instinct with Strand would be to tie it to the Nine, which is the existing "web of invisible matter permeating all things" in Destiny's setting. The Nine have been trying to access paracausal power for a while, so this could be their big Intervention In The Real. Through the magic of paracausality, they finally figured out how to use their filaments to do stuff.

But tapping pre-existing lore might have gone against the goal of making something totally new.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

RocketRaygun posted:

The Veil is not the heart of the Traveler. The Veil "connects to the traveler's pale heart", according to the newscast. This implies that the Veil is not the heart, and that connecting the Veil to it opens a portal.

I hate to break it to you but the plot / lore can be inconsistent and / or bad, especially in this here expansion

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Remember that we still do not actually know what the gently caress the Veil is, since they refuse to tell us anything about it ingame.
Osiris was going on about how important it was the entire time, as if we were extensively briefed on this subject matter at any point before now.

Same goes for the RADIAL MAST GUARDIAN, YOU MUST PROTECT IT

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Welp Im sure this is old hat to yall but Ive been away and just started to play. Lmao this is a drastic change of difficulty scaling.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

After playing a bunch I'm really not regretting swapping from Hunter to Warlock. Strand is so much fun, chose Swarmers as my exotic and just create a million threadlings all the time, extra fun in the season event when I can get a ton of the melee CD reset buffs rolling.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

General Battuta posted:

My instinct with Strand would be to tie it to the Nine, which is the existing "web of invisible matter permeating all things" in Destiny's setting. The Nine have been trying to access paracausal power for a while, so this could be their big Intervention In The Real. Through the magic of paracausality, they finally figured out how to use their filaments to do stuff.

But tapping pre-existing lore might have gone against the goal of making something totally new.
I wondered if the veil was the thing that the emissary went through in that old nine lore. Like if it's a portal that lets the real pass into the unreal, along the lines of the new dark / light dichotomy being the tangible vs the intangible.

Or maybe just the thing the ishtar collective were using to gently caress around in the vex network in the sundaresh lore. Again, a pre collapse artifact ishtar were using to go from the real to the unreal, shape themselves into a different dimension of existence.

But that's just me guessing and I haven't read the leaked lore yet, so I have no loving idea.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

its very funny to me that there was so much backlash against the "wikification" of the setting and spoonfeeding of plot details and now there's a bunch of backlash against the plot not explaining some things beyond "the enemy wants it and that's reason enough to fight them for it" and leaving us to draw our own conclusions

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
This is game of thrones all over again!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Power / LL loving sucks lol

Bungie: noted we've removed light levels, now all content is effectively 20 light levels higher at all times, except raids which are higher.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Kith posted:

its very funny to me that there was so much backlash against the "wikification" of the setting and spoonfeeding of plot details and now there's a bunch of backlash against the plot not explaining some things beyond "the enemy wants it and that's reason enough to fight them for it" and leaving us to draw our own conclusions

I've gone my entire destiny career without ever hearing about a RADIAL MAST, and now that's all Osiris is yelling about on comms.
Like Osiris my dude, what in the gently caress are you talking about?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

there's a quote from ww2 that basically goes "we don't know what the enemy wants with this hill but we do know that they want it, and that's enough reason for us to deny them". don't need to know what a Radial Mast is, just that it's important to calus's plans and therefore worth destroying

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only other significant mast in the lore is the Gift Mast, which was a Light-based something the Traveler gave to/created for an alien race that ended up getting destroyed by the Hive triumvirate in the distant past. I kept expecting the game to make a connection there but it never did. Maybe in a future content drop

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think Bungie just likes certain words and forgets that they've used them before. Harmony & Leviathan for example have each referred to like 3+ things with no connection

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think Bungie just likes certain words and forgets that they've used them before. Harmony & Leviathan for example have each referred to like 3+ things with no connection

Be sure to set the legendary campaign mission to legend so you can get some good legendaries

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Solar grenades

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Friends please, my doctor, he says I'm not supposed to take this much psychic damage anymore

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
guys

grapple might be good

kinda want to make a masterworked strength disc build now :negative:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 8, 2023

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Friends please, my doctor, he says I'm not supposed to take this much psychic damage anymore

How did you get a strand shield so fast

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Doesn't Leviathan refer to the location, the raid, and shorthand for a raid exotic?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Once i got the grapple melee timing down (which is definitely still finicky) and realized it's not just a single target punch it's actually a large Strand AoE with a dot and stun it clicked

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

it's also the namesake of the entity whose rib bone we see in Rhulk's ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I hope the raid exotic is a strand fusion rifle that shoots theeadlings