Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/16/50

Archie 9/23-25/46

Bonus Ad! Tony the Tiger in his original form!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Selachian posted:

Archie 9/23-25/46

... And that's how Archie got murdered. Up next on Jughead: The Comic...

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Selachian posted:

Pogo 4/16/50

“Kimbo Cat” here is Kelly’s pal Ward Kimball - Disney animator, weirdo genius, and leader of the Firehouse 5 Plus Two.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Not strictly comics, but I recently picked up Lynda Barry's Syllabus and it's a good read. I highly recommend it if you are pursuing any creative endeavors or just interested in cartooning theory.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Yay!
:lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Did you really have to record everything, Phantom?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Mara Llave: Keeper of Time continues it's breakneck pace.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 10: Boys Like Fun Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Porcupine Tree are two Irish brothers who make up for their limited musical ability with pots of enthusiasm. Jedward are a respected prog rock act of long standing. Wait, did I get that the right way round? Only one of these acts is great mates with Enya. Whichever one you think it is… it’s the other one.

Also, I was browsing the web for articles re: Dilbert/Scott Adams, when I came across this from the Cleveland Plain Dealer

quote:

We’ve selected a comic strip to replace Dilbert, and one reason we chose it is the number of you who said we should have looked for a new voice when we replaced Funky Winkerbean with Beetle Bailey.

The new strip is called Crabgrass by artist Tauhid Bondia. He describes it as a “strip about childhood friendship with all its peaks and valleys.” Exploring the daily travails of characters named Kevin and Miles “connects to the old and the young without alienating either.” It is set in the 1980s, when Bondia was growing up, before the age of cellphones and the internet.

Crabgrass has grown rapidly since it started in 2019 because it is a high-quality comic. It has tinges of the impishness that were central to the popularity of longtime reader favorite Calvin and Hobbes, but the voices in Crabgrass are unique.

We selected the comic because it is great, but given the reason we dropped Dilbert, I can’t help but mention some other reasons that make it an appropriate replacement.

Crabgrass is a comic strip about a multiracial childhood friendship by a Black artist. We dropped Dilbert because its creator, Scott Adams, went on a racist rant in a video that circulated widely. Crabgrass portrays the very opposite of Adams’ hateful advice to white people that they get away from Black people.

When I wrote about the Beetle Bailey decision, I mentioned that Pearls Before Swine is the only comic strip I read these days. After reading about 30 examples of Crabgrass, I’m pretty sure I’ll be a devoted reader. It has a lot of what people liked in Calvin and Hobbes, with Kevin and Miles jousting with parents and a teacher -- and having no end of unsupervised neighborhood adventures.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 5, 2023

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Once Upon A Time It Was 2013 And You Couldn't Swing A Cat Without Finding A Good Quality Video Card

Not Pregnant...Yet. [Rumbling And Sinister Cello Sting]

Also hell yeah good for Crabgrass.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Crabgrass rules and the Cleveland Plain Dealer is doing it with class.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Tauhid's hometown newspaper has picked it up as well to replace Dilbert. https://www.instagram.com/p/CpVfMBoNmUn/?hl=en

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom
That's on Mozz, he's the one who wrote the book.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm happy for Crabgrass and also glad they got complaints for replacing Funky Winkerbean with Beetle Bailey instead of something new.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Oh yeah. For some reason I had it in my head Phantom was writing what he said, but that's totally wrong.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Kazinsal posted:

Tauhid's hometown newspaper has picked it up as well to replace Dilbert. https://www.instagram.com/p/CpVfMBoNmUn/?hl=en

They traded up for sure.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Good for Tauhid! Good for Crabgrass!

Luann

Personally, I found it shocking when Luann decided she was going to write a novel about what a hot hunky slab of beef her brother is, but maybe that kind of thing is just normal in her family.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Julet Esqu posted:

Personally, I found it shocking when Luann decided she was going to write a novel about what a hot hunky slab of beef her brother is, but maybe that kind of thing is just normal in her family.

Isn't Luann in a pseudo-contentious relationship with her rich and distant father, or am I confusing her with another character?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Excellent pickup for Tauhid, and happy to see they're going with quality goods.

Our Boarding House (August 20-22, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (October 25-27, 1920)

The Toonerville Trolley That Meets All The Trains: After being pestered for over a month about it, the Skipper climbed up on the roof to fix a leak no bigger than your finger and just see what happened!

And elsewhere in the paper, a teaser for a perfectly sensible and level-headed 1920-era piece of feature writing.

Dok's Dippy Idea of a Participation Trophy (August 13, 1914)

Little Lefty (February 24-26, 1938)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 8, 2023

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

I bet that felt good.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Schwarzwald posted:

Isn't Luann in a pseudo-contentious relationship with her rich and distant father, or am I confusing her with another character?

I think you're thinking of Tiffany, the once-popular but now somewhat overweight rich girl.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

I think you're thinking of Tiffany, the once-popular but now somewhat overweight rich girl.

She of the ducked lips

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Schwarzwald posted:

That's Tiffany. Luann's parents are boring lumps who own a cafe (I think).

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Haifisch posted:

That's Tiffany. Luann's parents are boring lumps who own a cafe (I think).

Let's be honest with ourselves. TJ is blackmailing them.

edit: I have started enjoying the boarding house somewhat but dang is it verbose.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Alright, good for Crabgrass!

The faces in Home Free are bugging me. I think it's the lack of defined chins

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The_Other posted:

Also, I was browsing the web for articles re: Dilbert/Scott Adams, when I came across this from the Cleveland Plain Dealer

Kazinsal posted:

Oh hell yeah!

Let us celebrate this news with more Crabgrass!

Old School Peanuts (Mar 21, 1954)

Mood.

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 26-27, 1993)

Big Nate

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 04, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Some cultural context: in the original Finnish the mobile contract seller has this really forced cutesy/folksy way of speaking that mobile telemarketers use, and which people really hate because it is so god drat fake.

And of course the other cultural context is the Continuation War.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat May 7, 1916

The Ignatz Mouse Debaffler posted:

The book next to the volume on Plato in the fourth from the last panel appears to be a bound collection of a then-popular dime novel series featuring a detective named Old Sleuth. Nothing else relating Harriman to dime novels is known to this commentator.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Crabgrass is the exactly correct strip to replace Dilbert with.

I was rushing to post yesterday morning and hadn't caught up on the thread yet. Let me join everyone in saying lmao

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm with Kevin. :colbert:

Yeah same. I hope at least some real kids are reading this strip so Bondia can whisper "disrespect authority" in their ears. Same with the Sunday strip where Kevin is questioning basically everything.

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Heart of the City

I like the goblins and want to see more of them.

Also I know people are pretty lukewarm on Heart but I enjoyed this brief story about the kids protesting to get what they want.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

It's a creative writing course, just make something up Luann. Write a story about your firefighter brother and his firefighter wife being arrested for arson. There, done.

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 19, 1956)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I can't think of anything sad to write about my family, Luann says.

Not the malicious narcissistic woman we're giving free room and board to and her inability to socialize and date.

Not my brother and his wife and their inevitable divorce because they never discuss their divided views on having children. Or their constant support of a neglected child they usually berate for the crime of being a child.

Or my mother and her midlife crisis and lack of appreciation.

And certainly not how they feel about their 20 something daughter who also has no ability to socialize or date! :v:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 8, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Luann cannot identify sadness in those around her because she has an absolute lack of empathy. Zero ability to identify another person's emotions or read the room. She is an active vacuum of insight that makes the people around her doubt their interpretations of normal human behaviour.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Runni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/7/03

Brenda Starr 7/17-19/50

Note the handy guide for pronouncing "tortilla."

Smokey Stover 5/10/53

Everyday Movies 3/11/36

"I don't worry, Mack'll get a job -- he's very lucky. Why at Coney Island last summer he won two blankets, four canes and a Shirley Temple doll."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/13-15/41

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 19, 1956)

The thing I have hardest to believe here is that they're walking around with their legs and arms bare. Though at the end we did see a cloak. But man those are not suitable clothes for the climate.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

In high school, I hopped on the trunk of a friend's car and insisted that she drive me to my car on the other side of the parking lot. I immediately realized what a terrible mistake I had made; it was nearly impossible to stay seated on the flat, slippery trunk lid, and even though she hit maybe 15 MPH tops I was convinced that I was going to go flying at any moment and break like 20 bones in the process. If only I could've awkwardly wedged my legs between the bumper and the car body, then steadied myself with a loose handhold on the tail light. Look at how effective that is for Scarlet, even her hat remains firmly in place!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think the idea is she's holding onto the plate and the light and fully leaning on the trunk but man that does not parse at all

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

Kerning, Charles. Kerning.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

"Hey, I got an idea. Any of youse guys ever read The Cask of Amontillado?"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 3/7/03

Kind of funny that in a few months time a Red Sox/Cubs World Series almost happened. loving Grady Little :argh:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Obvious Joke is Obvious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The Phanphic

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 8, 2023