Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
something I compiled a couple years ago that I just now realized I never shared with this thread;

an assortment of images made for various magazines depicting meetings of monsters that never happened onscreen, these would have made for some really fun films I bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's all extremely cool, thanks.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mantis42 posted:

As dumb as GvK was, I found the kaiju scenes an improvement over KotM, and I'll take Saturday Morning Cartoon plots about going to the center of the Earth over shots of people standing in blue control rooms making quips any day. It felt more in line with something like Kong Lives, it's a guilty pleasure for me despite being pretty harsh when it came out.

That's more or less my take. KotM was garbage. GvK was stupid, watchable, fun garbage.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
KotM felt like it came very close to being a great film at times. Charles Dance's crew breaking out King Ghidorah was largely excellent, and lord help me but I dug the weird Super X everyone flew around in.

But some good scenes and some good designs aren't quite enough.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

drrockso20 posted:

something I compiled a couple years ago that I just now realized I never shared with this thread;

an assortment of images made for various magazines depicting meetings of monsters that never happened onscreen, these would have made for some really fun films I bet

:hmmyes:

Mantis42 posted:

As dumb as GvK was, I found the kaiju scenes an improvement over KotM, and I'll take Saturday Morning Cartoon plots about going to the center of the Earth over shots of people standing in blue control rooms making quips any day. It felt more in line with something like Kong Lives, it's a guilty pleasure for me despite being pretty harsh when it came out.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That's more or less my take. KotM was garbage. GvK was stupid, watchable, fun garbage.

Schwarzwald posted:

KotM felt like it came very close to being a great film at times. Charles Dance's crew breaking out King Ghidorah was largely excellent, and lord help me but I dug the weird Super X everyone flew around in.

But some good scenes and some good designs aren't quite enough.

Godzilla movies, ironically, live and die by their humans. Truly great entries (54 and Shin, of those I’ve seen so far) need a B-plot human story that both highlights the kaijus’ presence and action and gives them weight and meaning, and is well-written enough to not distract the audience from the A-plot of oh no there goes Tokyo. The alternative, somewhat easier option (GvK, Destroy All Monsters, apparently Final Wars) is to dispense with the pretense of disbelief and make the humans just as much of a ridiculous spectacle as the monsters, in which case the audience can safely turn their brains off and focus on the eye candy.

It’s really easy to make talking heads boring. Conversely, it’s really hard to make a bunch of giant monsters and robots crushing buildings and brawling each other boring.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 5, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I won the auction on this beauty last night :c00l:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

What’s the green quadrupedal one with the absurdly massive fangs?

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
Maguma the walrus:
https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Maguma

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Oh man, this is so rad!!

I am gonna get some reprints done sometime to represent. Some of the OG's on Japan Poster Shop are $$$$$.

https://japanposter.co.uk/collections/kaiju-monsters-and-horror-movie-posters

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dang that shop IS $$$$$ but they have some good stuff there. I missed the auction for the Godzilla Vs Mecha G speed poster

But I just won this sucker. 1972 Return of Ultraman movie poster.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress, 60s/70s posters are so beautiful. I’d get some for movies I haven’t even seen… prompting me to then watch it!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I should get a Shin poster.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’m bidding on a couple of Shin Kamen Rider posters right now

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Unfortunately, I’m no good at finding good, high quality posters, especially movie posters. I don’t know what makes a poster valuable or worth collecting vs. what’s custom ordered just to look cool on my wall. I’d rather order my own modern print via FedEx than buy one of those off eBay honestly. Best I can do is trawl for original poster re-sellers…:shrug:

All I see are reproductions. I do kinda like the looks of this one, this one, and this one, though.

Actually, do we even have a posters thread? Seems like we don’t, which is surprising.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yes

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461865&pagenumber=1726

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

man that space jellyfish was so loving cool for the 30 seconds of screen time it got in a movie about a diamond heist.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

:hmmyes:

Godzilla movies, ironically, live and die by their humans. Truly great entries (54 and Shin, of those I’ve seen so far) need a B-plot human story that both highlights the kaijus’ presence and action and gives them weight and meaning, and is well-written enough to not distract the audience from the A-plot of oh no there goes Tokyo. The alternative, somewhat easier option (GvK, Destroy All Monsters, apparently Final Wars) is to dispense with the pretense of disbelief and make the humans just as much of a ridiculous spectacle as the monsters, in which case the audience can safely turn their brains off and focus on the eye candy.

It’s really easy to make talking heads boring. Conversely, it’s really hard to make a bunch of giant monsters and robots crushing buildings and brawling each other boring.

Fantastic Avatar material. Also reminds me I should watch Space Amoeba again.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Fantastic! That Seatopia matt painting at the bottom is so nice!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait what???? Pacific Rim was by WB+Legendary???

Toho you cowards let Guillermo direct a crossover.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pollyanna posted:

The alternative, somewhat easier option (GvK, Destroy All Monsters, apparently Final Wars) is to dispense with the pretense of disbelief and make the humans just as much of a ridiculous spectacle as the monsters, in which case the audience can safely turn their brains off and focus on the eye candy.

That's why Godzilla v Ebirah is top tier, the human characters are a little strange. They've got unusual backgrounds and motivations, and find themselves in a situation where "I know! Let's wake Godzilla up." is actually a reasonable course of action.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mllaneza posted:

That's why Godzilla v Ebirah is top tier, the human characters are a little strange. They've got unusual backgrounds and motivations, and find themselves in a situation where "I know! Let's wake Godzilla up." is actually a reasonable course of action.

Godzilla vs Ebirah and the other one that came before it I can't remember the title of are just island adventure movies that happen to feature Godzilla.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vs. Ebirah was supposed to be a King Kong movie iirc which is why Godzilla has a weird vibe in it (he also sleeps through most of the movie, lazy bastard)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had a dream my mom got eaten by Rodan.

I fuckin told her to move!!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched an Irish youtuber watching 90s commercials and suddenly Ghidorah shilling for toothpaste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ3kAqtDWyU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
this is a good fuckin page

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Wait what???? Pacific Rim was by WB+Legendary???

Toho you cowards let Guillermo direct a crossover.

Hell, just let him make a sequel so we can forget that Uprising happened.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Watching G Vs Megalon on Criterion and it’s glorious as always

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Watching G Vs Megalon on Criterion and it’s glorious as always

Absolutely!

I just rewatched G vs King Ghidorah (91) with a friend who's getting deeper into Godzilla. Fun stuff! It was one I only saw once back in the day and found to be a weaker entry, but I enjoyed it a lot more now. Just bonkers charming sci-fi genre movie hijinks with that majestic Godzilla touch. And the mayhem in the last act is really high quality.

My fav three from that era was always Biollante, Mecha, and Destoroyah, so I'd skip the other ones on rewatches. Thinking I may give the 93 G vs Mothra another go too, which I found okay and hadn't revisited. I mainly remember the Indiana Jones type bit.

Also, it was so hype to see Akira Ifukube scores this Ghidorah movie in the opening credits. Talk about a bonus! Looks like that was his first return to it after 1975.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ghidorah is such an incredible artifact of the Bubble era that it is kinda perfect that it came out as it all ended

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I watched Shin Ultraman last night it was pretty fun but now I have to ask a stupid question…. What is the significance of the word “shin”?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It means new, it just means it's a reboot/reimagining.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

its also a homophone for a polydeistic god

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Its also a homophone for "true" or "actual."

Which of these identical sounding words does the title refer to? It'd give away the game to say!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've started learning Japanese and realizing how many homophones and similar sounding words there are have given me deep appreciation for the pun and double meaning games the language lets you play.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does Singular Point ever shut up?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pollyanna posted:

Not really

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pollyanna posted:

yeah, final episode

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

I don't think I ever understood a single thing happening in Singular Point, but liked it anyway.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Apparently there is a novelization in Japan that actually has sections that explain a lot of the theoretical physics behind SP and I would pay real loving earth dollars for a translation. Someone on Twitter was translating snippets and I found it absolutely fascinating.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find most anime to be way too dialogue heavy for their own good.

Singular Point somehow plants itself past the extreme end of that scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Personally I fukkin' loved it but I can totally understand a lot of people's frustration with SP. I liked how it had neurodiverse characters in it, I really related to a lot of their actions and behaviors. :shobon:

Also I honestly loved all the kaiju in it, and Jet Jaguar rules. :colbert: