Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Polly Toodle posted:

STAR TREK CCG: 2E
There's my brief introduction to the Star Trek CCG 2E, writing that up was fun since I haven't really dug into the game much in recent years.

The idea of a game as more a freeform storytelling engine rather than competative game is interesting, I've been toying with making a possibly constructed deck game of some kind mostly for fun, and the idea of it telling stories in a world rather on focusing on making it a competitive game is a neat idea I've been toying with. (this one is a cyberpunk(?) sort of world inspired by the 20001 Metropolis anime movie and the Akira Manga.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Work was a dumpster fire this week but look what was waiting for me when I got home today?

I ordered two set boxes and two starter boxes from Hill's Wholesale Gaming. I just sold a bunch of MTG cards, so this was all free. That's right: I am selling valuable MTG cards for dead CCGs. GET ON MY LEVEL :black101::black101::black101:

The starter boxes come with a pair of decks, a playmat, rules, and 2d6. The starter packs feature cards that can't be found elsewhere in that set, and are often packaged as a... fitting pair.

As I said in the Anachronism writeup, "decks" in Anachronism are five cards: a warrior and four support cards. So pictured here is literally all you get. The price is right ($4 per starter box for two decks and everything needed to play), so at least there's that. This starter is from a set that featured the Greeks for the second time, and the Trojans for the first time. Warriors in Anachronism are usually historical figures but are sometimes mythological, as they are here.

The other starter, also from a set I did not get, features Romanian and Turkish warriors:

The rest of my haul was the entirety of set 2 and set 4. Outside of the starters, sets contain four warriors from four different cultures. There were a ton of sets, something like 12, so a lot of cultures were covered. A few, like Greece and China, got a couple sets. I went in for a couple sets that minimized duplicates with what I already had.

This is one set box. It's sixteen blister packs, none of which are randomized. You get one of every warrior and their decks. The support cards never overlap, too, so you get plenty of variance if you are a deckbuilding sicko like I am.

Set 2 contains 4 each of: Perfidious Albion Briton, China, Egypt, and Mongolia. The only duplicates I got are in the Mongols: I already have Kutuluun and Kublai Khan. Everything else is new to me. A fun detail I noticed: Mulan is present in this set, and her traits are listed as "Male/Female." I thought that was kind of neat.

Set 4 contains 4 each of: Russia, Ireland, Maori, and Persia. No repeats for me here. It's all rocket fuel for deckbuilding combos.

HELL. YES. :hist101:

I had about a dozen decks before, and this just added 36 more, with only two overlaps. I have some deckbuilding in my future.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Fun fact about Anachronism, when TriKing pulled the plug the lead designer publicly released the development files for sets 8 and 9, which were never printed. The fan community turned them into print and play PDFs, so anyone with a printer can bulk their collection up. Also has PNP files for the other sets. The site that hosted them has long since gone offline, but fortunately archive.org has them:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160614063824/http://dystemporalia.org/?page_id=8

There's also some fan created sets:
https://sites.google.com/site/anachronismlives/home

Railing Kill posted:

That's right: I am selling valuable MTG cards for dead CCGs.

There's so much more gameplay in Anachronism vs MTG, I'd dump all my MTG cards long before I considered getting rid of Anachronism. I'm fortunate to have picked up the entire run back when it was cheaply available, along with the two PNP sets it makes for one heavy binder. Need to get it to the table more - the game kind of suffers from paralysis of choice, we played it a lot more when all we had was Set 1.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Anachronism always seemed really neat. I remember eyeing the packs at my FLGS, and I loved how it wasn't random, you wanna play Guan Yu, you can play Guan Yu.

It kinda reminds me of Unmatched in a way, although with much more depth before the game itself. Looks like there's still a bit of community for it, and a rules variant where you only use one culture's cards, so that's easier for getting into it (no worrying if the Oracle of Delphi might be better with a macuahuitl or a naginata).

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Polly Toodle posted:

Fun fact about Anachronism, when TriKing pulled the plug the lead designer publicly released the development files for sets 8 and 9, which were never printed. The fan community turned them into print and play PDFs, so anyone with a printer can bulk their collection up. Also has PNP files for the other sets. The site that hosted them has long since gone offline, but fortunately archive.org has them:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160614063824/http://dystemporalia.org/?page_id=8

There's also some fan created sets:
https://sites.google.com/site/anachronismlives/home

There's so much more gameplay in Anachronism vs MTG, I'd dump all my MTG cards long before I considered getting rid of Anachronism. I'm fortunate to have picked up the entire run back when it was cheaply available, along with the two PNP sets it makes for one heavy binder. Need to get it to the table more - the game kind of suffers from paralysis of choice, we played it a lot more when all we had was Set 1.

Thanks for the link! I remember reading about the print and play sets a while back, but I could never find them. I didn't mind paying for the actual printings because they're foil and on nice cardstock, but I also work at a commercial printing press so I'm not going to shy away from getting some of these printed. It helps that Anachronism is unique in CCGs in that if the card stock doesn't match it doesn't really matter because you're never shuffling anything. Once they're sleeved up it doesn't matter that the cards I'm likely to print are closer to regular CCG cards and not the thicc cards of the actual sets.

I made a bunch of decks before when I had a fraction of the cards I have now. I'm probably going to pull those apart and make a bunch of new, better ones after I read and reorganize everything. I'll probably make 10-ish decks.... or my propensity for deckbuilding will carry me away and my whole weekend will just disappear in a bender and I will wake up Monday morning buried in cards.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Guess who's box of poor life choices arrived today!

So I accidentally ordered a starter display instead of a booster box for one of the Buffy sets. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure they're pre-made starters, so I'll just use them as convention prizes when I start running Buffy at them.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Randalor posted:

Guess who's box of poor life choices arrived today!

So I accidentally ordered a starter display instead of a booster box for one of the Buffy sets. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure they're pre-made starters, so I'll just use them as convention prizes when I start running Buffy at them.

Dang, .hack is a good game. I traded my modest collection to a friend a long time ago for his modest VTES collection. I had a good time playing it and only stopped because I was scaling back my hobbies at the time (instead of making poor life choices as I am now as a middle-aged person making decent money).

I might try to do an effortpost about it at some point, but someone who remembers it better and/or has cards could probably do it more justice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They never did make a print version of Xenocards.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

They never did make a print version of Xenocards.

As someone who spent more time playing that CCG than Xenosaga outside of it, let me just say

:negative:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I can try to do effortposts for WARS, .hack and Buffy this weekend if people just want general summaries of the rules, but I probably won't be able to do actual trip reports for awhile, at least with the Buffy CCG I've read that the starters were pretty bad for actually, y'know, winning the game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Decipher really loved their Destiny mechanic, didn't they?

Also, the Buffy rulebook was actually painful to read with how many layers of redundancy there are. You get two explanations explaining combat back to back, one that summarizes combat and the other actually explains it. It's... why would you set it up that way?

Kudos on Score actually giving both Hero and Villain cards in the box so you can play through the Learn to Play with just the one kit.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Randalor posted:

Decipher really loved their Destiny mechanic, didn't they?

They wanted to keep the Star Wars players around after the license went away. Too bad they kept making all the same design mistakes.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I hope this is interesting, but in the spirit of :justpost: ...

This is probably pretty fringe, a brand new card game (just released a few days ago, and arrived by mail today) by a streamer, Jerma985: Grotto Beasts!

Who is Jerma985?
Jerma985 is an goofball streamer who not only streams playing games, but is known for unusual streams, like hosting a carnival where chat gets to control the games (including a dunk tank) or a game of the sims in a house set where he's the sim and chat can control the action through polls, or an archelogy (actually geology) stream where he digs up rocks and old trading cards in the desert (the origins of this game).

So What is Grotto Beasts?
It is a 2-player head to head game, sort of similar in the vein of games like Pokemon TCG or Magic the gathering, though has a bit of different rules.

The 2-player starter pack came in a little box.

The boxes comes with 2 decks and 2 booster packs.

Also, Jerma dice, and two plastic play mats/

Gameplay
A lot of the gameplay will be familiar with people who've played a TCG before. It has summoning sickness ("summoning sadness") and tapping ("Resting") and attack phases and defending.

But one unique thing about how the game plays is how you pay for cards. You pay the cost of playing cards in your hand to a "summoning pool", and then your opponent draws that many cards from their own summoning pool (or remaining from their deck if there aren't enough in their pool). After the first summon in a turn there must be at least one card in your opponent's pool to play a card. This gives the game an interesting "give and take" resource mechanic.

How do you win?
Another major way the game is different is how you win. You don't have life points, but instead any excess damage you score by scoring cards, placing cards from the top of your deck into the scoring pile The first to score 10 in a standard game wins.

There are also variant rules that use "Challengers", sort of like commander in MTG. These also can attack, but have an adjusted different goal number of cards you need to score to win.

Deckbuilding
The rules for deckbuilding are pretty simple, max 3 of a kind of card, but you can only have one type of card that's marked "epic" (but can have up to 3 of that card).

More details of how to play can be found on the official grotto beasts youtube channel. (https://www.youtube.com/@grottobeasts)

I haven't gotten a chance to play yet, but it looks neat, and I'm looking foreword to giving it go, I'm going to bring it with me to a con this weekend.I'll give a battle report once I play it.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 4, 2023

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Foolster41 posted:

I hope this is interesting, but in the spirit of :justpost: ...

This is probably pretty fringe, a brand new card game (just released a few days ago, and arrived by mail today) by a streamer, Jerma985: Grotto Beasts!

Who is Jerma985?
Jerma985 is an goofball streamer who not only streams playing games, but is known for unusual streams, like hosting a carnival where chat gets to control the games (including a dunk tank) or a game of second life in a house set where he's the sim and chat can control the action through polls, or an archelogy (actually geology) stream where he digs up rocks and old trading cards in the desert (the origins of this game).

So What is Grotto Beasts?
It is a 2-player head to head game, sort of similar in the vein of games like Pokemon TCG or Magic the gathering, though has a bit of different rules.

The 2-player starter pack came in a little box.

The boxes comes with 2 decks and 2 booster packs.

Also, Jerma dice, and two plastic play mats/

Gameplay
A lot of the gameplay will be familiar with people who've played a TCG before. It has summoning sickness ("sadness sickness") and tapping ("Resting") and attack phases and defending.

But one unique thing about how the game plays is how you pay for cards. You pay the cost of playing cards in your hand to a "summoning pool", and then your opponent draws that many cards from their own summoning pool (or remaining from their deck if there aren't enough in their pool). After the first summon in a turn there must be at least one card in your opponent's pool to play a card. This gives the game an interesting "give and take" resource mechanic.

How do you win?
Another major way the game is different is how you win. You don't have life points, but instead any excess damage you score by scoring cards, placing cards from the top of your deck into the scoring pile The first to score 10 in a standard game wins.

There are also variant rules that use "Challengers", sort of like commander in MTG. These also can attack, but have an adjusted different goal number of cards you need to score to win.

Deckbuilding
The rules for deckbuilding are pretty simple, max 3 of a kind of card, but you can only have one type of card that's marked "epic" (but can have up to 3 of that card).

More details of how to play can be found on the official grotto beasts youtube channel. (https://www.youtube.com/@grottobeasts)

I haven't gotten a chance to play yet, but it looks neat, and I'm looking foreword to giving it go, I'm going to bring it with me to a con this weekend.I'll give a battle report once I play it.

Hmm. I like the give-and-take of the Summoning Pool. That probably adds another dimension to deckbuilding strategy. I'll be interested to read about how the game goes for you.

I started writing up a .hack effortpost that will be up next week unless real life gets in the way.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Magnetic North posted:

Just noticed Dreamborn, Floodborn, Storyborn in addition to Villian and Hero. Some sort of strict typing in the game, perhaps? Also, what are the tiny colored icons beneath the title? I wonder if they will stray into unmixable attributes?

Upper left appears to be cost.

I bet the little diamonds are rarity; 'rockstar Stitch' being a rarer card than a basic Elsa, and Mickey has 4.

Rules finally come out sometime this month. But its surmised that the white diamonds represent the win condition. They've released previews of some more cards since then like Tigger, Cheshire Cat. I hope the gameplay is good as I'm really interested in the game. Ravensburger has done great with Villainous so I can see this being huge if they do it right. And disney people will buy anything.

e: Rules are out
https://www.thegamer.com/disney-lorcana-finally-unveils-how-to-play/

goodness fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 10, 2023

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I got to play two games this weakened at the con. Overall, I like the game, though I think the game isn't very interesting just using the prebuilt decks, it feels like there's a lot of luck in getting good cards for the moment, but think that's true with most if not all TCGs.

There is some interesting comboing you can do in the base decks though.

The back and forth payment mechanic is interesting, but there's no sort of "push your luck" element of not wanting to give over a certain amount to your opponent. You either pay more for better/more stuff or you don't. I guess it makes sense that there needs to be some way cards are pulled from a pool (discarding cards to pay would be annoying), and so this way is the one that makes the most sense, but it does feel awkward. I like that it's not typical energy cards. (I always hated that in MTG).

The worst aspect I'd say is remembering that you can't play a card if your opponent's summoning pool is empty, except for the first card played in a turn. I can see why they did t, but it is a little annoying to remember.

I'd be interested in playing more, but also I want to get more cards and experiment with deckbuilding, though I would be more interested in getting more cards if I had someone else to trade with, but I might just wait until it's on a VTT instead.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
There are some leaked gameplay details about Disney Lorcana that appeared today.

Here are some of them:
Once per turn you can put a card (that has a specific symbol around it's cost) facedown into your inkwell (which is the pool you tap to pay costs). This means there aren't any unique 'mana types'.
There isn't a combat phase, you just do most of your actions in one big main phase.
Characters can be tapped to 'quest' earning a number of 'lore' equal to the number of stars they have on the bottom right of their cards. You win if you get 20 'lore'.
You can tap a character to attack an opposing tapped character (which is called 'challenging')
Character damage is maintained over turns and recorded by tokens.
There's a type of action card that allows you to tap a character of a similar cost in lieu of paying for it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

DalaranJ posted:

There are some leaked gameplay details about Disney Lorcana that appeared today.

Here are some of them:
Once per turn you can put a card (that has a specific symbol around it's cost) facedown into your inkwell (which is the pool you tap to pay costs). This means there aren't any unique 'mana types'.
There isn't a combat phase, you just do most of your actions in one big main phase.
Characters can be tapped to 'quest' earning a number of 'lore' equal to the number of stars they have on the bottom right of their cards. You win if you get 20 'lore'.
You can tap a character to attack an opposing tapped character (which is called 'challenging')
Character damage is maintained over turns and recorded by tokens.
There's a type of action card that allows you to tap a character of a similar cost in lieu of paying for it.

Yeah I'm even more hyped for the game now that I know a bit more how it plays. Full quick-rules sheets here https://www.thegamer.com/disney-lorcana-finally-unveils-how-to-play/

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
First off, I was wrong about the Rarity. That's the Lore value in the diamonds, but that's pretty important since it's how you win. Kinda looks like constructed Keyforge? Insofar as you're taking actions to Reap/Quest to gain Aember/Lore.

Weird that only some cards can be played as resource, so you have to give up the secrecy when you put the card into your Inkwell. Just letting you do anything would have been more elegant. Based on the previews, it looks like it might just be Events / Songs that can't be added to your Inkwell.

Damage being consistent over time is something I wouldn't have imagined you'd do in a game that is likely for the non-entrenched card gamer, but it probably lends to fewer unassailable board states, I guess.

It has Non-Mixable Attributes, but only in the form of the 6 Ink colors, and you can run 1 or 2 for 21 combos I think? That will probably be fine unless they introduce tons more ink colors and dilute the cardpool. I mean, most people will just play the characters they want because they want to play a Donald Duck deck (what the pros call a Donald Deck).

So, I hated the story-based naming they recently introduced into MTG with crap like " <i>Antimagic Cone</i> — Each opponent sacrifices an enchantment." etc. However, by putting it into a black box, for whatever reason it is a zillion times more palatable to me.

'Summoning sickness' being that the ink isn't dry is actually pretty neat theming.

I am not a Disney guy, and I will probably never play this. But it seems like a reasonable effort.

Also, now that we have some idea of the rules, that loving ultra-rare unique Mickey looks BUSTED. Gain 4 Lore each turn and if they don't have an Elusive character they just can't challenge it? That will end games quick. I think it's just the foil treatment that's exclusive, not the card itself.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Magnetic North posted:

I think it's just the foil treatment that's exclusive, not the card itself.

Correct, all the D23 promos will be reprinted in the first set non-foil and with a different foil treatment.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Lorcana will be interesting because the initial and set 2 release are being heavily speculated on. I know someone who has dropped $1,000 dollars on sealed product (4 booster boxes) as atm booster boxes are going for almost double retail and retailers are being told they will likely only get a fraction of the early orders. Top that off with boosters being a dollar more than industry standard RRP and you have a game that for the first few months, will be impossible to get.

Games have been killed or heavily damaged by people being hyped to play, but unable to get cards, see Star Wars: Destiny for a recent example. Fans might make an online client to play the game, but Disney don't play with that kind of thing, so I expect you'll see a lot of frustration initially.
Additionally can Ravensberger scale up or respond flexibly to this demand, they've talked a great game about FLGSs and Organised Play, will be interesting to see if they can deliver.

All that said, the IP is strong and if the game plays decently, it could do very well. I just expect a rocky first few months and a lot of people burnt with FOMO.

The d23 sets I think are going for about $8000 at the moment.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

HidaO-Win posted:

Lorcana will be interesting because the initial and set 2 release are being heavily speculated on. I know someone who has dropped $1,000 dollars on sealed product (4 booster boxes) as atm booster boxes are going for almost double retail and retailers are being told they will likely only get a fraction of the early orders. Top that off with boosters being a dollar more than industry standard RRP and you have a game that for the first few months, will be impossible to get.

Games have been killed or heavily damaged by people being hyped to play, but unable to get cards, see Star Wars: Destiny for a recent example. Fans might make an online client to play the game, but Disney don't play with that kind of thing, so I expect you'll see a lot of frustration initially.
Additionally can Ravensberger scale up or respond flexibly to this demand, they've talked a great game about FLGSs and Organised Play, will be interesting to see if they can deliver.

All that said, the IP is strong and if the game plays decently, it could do very well. I just expect a rocky first few months and a lot of people burnt with FOMO.

The d23 sets I think are going for about $8000 at the moment.

Fwiw, Ravensberger confirmed a few months ago that they upped how much they were printing based on the demand they were seeing. I don't think its going to be as sold the gently caress out as some people are thinking. Hopefully not One Piece levels bad. I was able to scoop 2 preorder boxes for MSRP of $145 online, and am on the list at 2 LGS for 2-4 more boxes at the same price. Of course there are lots of scalpers taking advantage of people on ebay and stuff.

The game is planned to be sold at big box stores, disney online store, and in disney parks. They must have planned to have enough for that.

D23 sets are about 8k raw yeah, and PSA 10 graded ones worth $18k+

goodness fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 12, 2023

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

goodness posted:

Fwiw, Ravensberger confirmed a few months ago that they upped how much they were printing based on the demand they were seeing. I don't think its going to be as sold the gently caress out as some people are thinking. Hopefully not One Piece levels bad. I was able to scoop 2 preorder boxes for MSRP of $145 online, and am on the list at 2 LGS for 2-4 more boxes at the same price. Of course there are lots of scalpers taking advantage of people on ebay and stuff.

The game is planned to be sold at big box stores, disney online store, and in disney parks. They must have planned to have enough for that.

D23 sets are about 8k raw yeah, and PSA 10 graded ones worth $18k+

It'll be interesting if they are savvy enough to scale up fast initially, then back off if the speculators desert. Have they talked about limited print runs at all or a reprint policy?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

HidaO-Win posted:

Have they talked about limited print runs at all or a reprint policy?

Not that I know of, that would have been talked about in the lorcana discord I'm in. Just that there will be never be cards with 1st edition symbols besides the 7 promos that came out.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

Weird that only some cards can be played as resource, so you have to give up the secrecy when you put the card into your Inkwell. Just letting you do anything would have been more elegant. Based on the previews, it looks like it might just be Events / Songs that can't be added to your Inkwell.

Sorry to quote myself, but I was re-reading things, and looked at the Song "One Jump Ahead." It costs 2 and says "Put the top card of your deck into your inkwell face down and exerted." It's basically Rampant Growth. It doesn't say it has to have the Inkwell icon, so I assume this means you simply get whatever. That makes me even more curious of there was some sort of event-heavy meta that ruined the game so they added this restriction, or if they just sort of wanted to mix up the Any Card as Resource setup.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

Sorry to quote myself, but I was re-reading things, and looked at the Song "One Jump Ahead." It costs 2 and says "Put the top card of your deck into your inkwell face down and exerted." It's basically Rampant Growth. It doesn't say it has to have the Inkwell icon, so I assume this means you simply get whatever. That makes me even more curious of there was some sort of event-heavy meta that ruined the game so they added this restriction, or if they just sort of wanted to mix up the Any Card as Resource setup.

Could also be some design space where some more powerful cards won’t get the Inkwell icon so you need to keep a portion of Inkwells in your deck. We’ll know more when we see more of the set.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Either way, I like what I see and it looks like a fun card game Mrs Randalor can use as a gateway drug to more hardcore CCGs entry point to card games at the elementary school she works at that has a board game club.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Magnetic North posted:

First off, I was wrong about the Rarity. That's the Lore value in the diamonds, but that's pretty important since it's how you win. Kinda looks like constructed Keyforge? Insofar as you're taking actions to Reap/Quest to gain Aember/Lore.

Damage being consistent over time is something I wouldn't have imagined you'd do in a game that is likely for the non-entrenched card gamer, but it probably lends to fewer unassailable board states, I guess.

Constructed Keyforge is what I thought of with the questing (reaping) to get lore (aember) and also challenging (fighting) other characters. I like Keyforge a lot, so I like this.

I always like the idea of damage being permanent, but in practice I hate having little damage tokens all over the table. It looks ugly, and is a hassle to manage.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I hope the inevitable TTS mod doesn't get DMCA'd too hard, because I bet this'll be fun but I'm not paying for random packs.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Seems easy enough for my five year old to grasp with guidance, looking forward to that.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

CitizenKeen posted:

I hope the inevitable TTS mod doesn't get DMCA'd too hard, because I bet this'll be fun but I'm not paying for random packs.

Probably will be once the game releases, but its up now https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2921609896&searchtext=lorcana

edit: Tweet about printing more and reprints
"Our planning is centered on making Disney Lorcana the best game it can be, and our production and reprinting decisions will be made accordingly. While we can’t confirm anything now, we are considering all options and have already increased production of the first set. 🙂"

goodness fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 12, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

In that screenshot, we can see an Item (Magic Mirror) and a Character (Hades: King of Olympus) which aren't valid to go into the Inkwell. That seems to show that it's something about the cards themselves and not their types, which makes One Jump Ahead make a bit less dissonant.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Magnetic North posted:

In that screenshot, we can see an Item (Magic Mirror) and a Character (Hades: King of Olympus) which aren't valid to go into the Inkwell. That seems to show that it's something about the cards themselves and not their types, which makes One Jump Ahead make a bit less dissonant.

I agree. This website was up to date before the recent reveal https://lorcania.com/cards. But the TTS has all the cards revealed.
e: I think this is up to date but not as easy to read as lorcania https://wiki.mushureport.com/wiki/All_Cards_List

another edit: A bunch of new cards got revealed today along with full rules and videos. https://www.disneylorcana.com/en-US/how-to-play/

goodness fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 13, 2023

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Played two games of VTES last night. One was white-knuckle as hell. I was playing Tremere bruise/bleed. My prey was playing Lassombra stealth politics. Her prey was playing Ishtaari bleed/politics. His prey (my predator) was playing old school Malkavians. I had neutered the Malkavians early on, and the political decks ground each other down. But I stalled on bleed boost late in the game, so I didn't run away with the game. With the Ishtaari and Malkavians both at 2 pool, I overextended on purpose for one final push, going down to 2 pool myself to do so, figuring that the first player to oust their prey was going to sweep the table. My prey wiggled their way out of just enough of the incoming damage and I ended up bringing the Lassombra to 1 pool, so now everyone is sitting there are 1 or 2 pool at the end of my last minion phase.

Then the Lassombra player used Enkil Cog to bleed her prey at the end of my turn, ousting the Ishtaari. Then the turn passes to her, and she promptly ousts the Malkavian player, then me. But prior to that rapid collapse, it really felt like anyone could have won that game in the last couple trips around the table.

In game 2, I took the worst loss I've ever suffered using Saulot. That deck earns at least 2 VPs more often than not, but I got trounced. The end of that game turned into an interesting 1 v 1 with two of the players, though. It was all fun, and we got two games done in three hours, on a work night. gently caress yeah.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Got to play Shadowfist this weekend. First time since The Before Times, and probably the last time for a while. Played 5 games. Each of the three of us had at least two games where we got to do one of our silly combos or strong effects and be in charge of the game for a bit as the others tried to knock them back. It was great. I made an impact on several games, though I also overextended and got hosed a few times. I was reminded of several cards that I really love even if they aren't flashy, like River of Lights.

We also talked about A Better Tomorrow, which is essentially a fan set for Shadowfist, but it didn't start that way. The previous game's owners had playtested this set set and then tried to crowdfund for this set but it failed. Similar to how the game sometimes has junctures open to explore other movie styles like pulp and westerns, this set is post-apocalyptic. As far as I understand he plot, a subsect of the Jammers detonated a chi-bomb which destroyed the future and made it a wasteland. Some are trying to undo that error to change the future. It is somewhat ironic that something terrible has happened and the scrappy underdogs are trying to salvage what they can, because the new owners of the game also had a crowdfunding campaign fail. It went exceptionally badly, and the very small number of people who still follow this game realized that the new owners actually don't care about them. (I could go into the specifics if I feel up to it another time, but trust me; it was bad.)

So, they dusted off these cards and released it as a fan set. When I say 'they' I mean Secret War Society, who are the ones organizing Shadowfist tournaments right now. They've even started issuing their own power-level errata to remove the most degenerate decks.

Mechanically, ABT it has some interesting new innovations:
  • Foundation Edges, something the game rules could technically feature but hasn't until now
  • Cards that toast character cards from your smoked pile as a cost, including to play it or it is toasted
  • Lots of cards that return characters from your smoked pile to play in factions that typically didn't get that.
  • Copying text from one card to another (this isn't entirely new, but there's more here than you'd figure for a set without the Purists)
  • A few Dragon character cards that provide a resource of a 'dead' faction (this is not unheard of for Dragon characters in the case of defectors)
The set can be seen here: https://secretwarsociety.com/card/search?set=88 It uses AI art for a lot of the cards if that matters to you, but honestly this zero-money passion project is probably a real use case for AI art.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's a shame to hear about the Shadowfist owners. It was probably my favorite big multi-player CCG after Vampire. I loved every faction basically had a game-changing card, like when the Architects player dropped a Neutron Bomb and wiped everything out and then the Dragons player (me) used Golden Comeback to play Ting Ting. :allears:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So are the "current" Shadowfist sets worth picking up, or would I be better off trying to track down old cards to make decks with? If long-time fans are saying the current owners don't care about them, is it due to horrible balance issues with the current sets, or something else?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The “chi bomb” thing was a plot change to the Feng Shui 2e system, basically to reflect that post apocalyptic movies were now more popular than silver-and-laser-guns sci-fi. But as you mentioned it also really messed up the feel of the rest of the setting and ruined the image of the Jammers and the likely PC mission (“So now a good future is to get the Architects back!?”)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Randalor posted:

So are the "current" Shadowfist sets worth picking up, or would I be better off trying to track down old cards to make decks with? If long-time fans are saying the current owners don't care about them, is it due to horrible balance issues with the current sets, or something else?

My effortpost talks about it, but basically: If it's you wanting to introduce it to your friends and try it out 'small time', the preconstructed content from Inner Kingdom Games in the form of Combat In Kowloon, Back For Seconds and Year of the Goat would be the first place to start. They won't be everything the game can offer, but it's a great place to start and is available. I'd suggest buying from someone other than the current game owner such as an online reseller if you can (simply to not show any support to them since they are not good stewards of the game) but that may not be an option.

Or if you're going to Origins, there is typically a contingent of Secret Warriors going who would be happy to teach and get others into the game. (I will not be there.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

hyphz posted:

The “chi bomb” thing was a plot change to the Feng Shui 2e system, basically to reflect that post apocalyptic movies were now more popular than silver-and-laser-guns sci-fi. But as you mentioned it also really messed up the feel of the rest of the setting and ruined the image of the Jammers and the likely PC mission (“So now a good future is to get the Architects back!?”)

The funny bit is they'd already decided on the post-apocalyptic thing right when Fury Road came out. Hard to get more relevant by accident.