Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

webmeister posted:

Strong contender for worst lbw referral of all time

Doesn’t seem to be any bat on that. Go to ball tracking when ready .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Can you rock and roll that

Can you rock and roll that

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also lets not forget the 3rd Ind vs Aus test wasn't supposed to be at Indore. It was scheduled for Dharamsala.

But the BCCI in all it's wisdom forgot that it is winter, and that grass grows slower in the winter, especially a Himalayan winter. So the ground was not ready for an international match. And on truth was never likely to be. But they postponed switching venues until the last minute for ... reasons.

So Indore didn't have as much preparation time as they usually would of had for a Test.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's good to see some big scores early on in the WPL.
I do think there's probably quite a big gap between the elite players and everyone else, but if James Vince has taught us anything it's that you can be in the "everyone else" camp and still have a successful professional career.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

This is a obscure factoid that will be of little interest to anyone, but it is vaguely thread relevant.

Jamie Siddons, (arguably the best Australian batsman to never play a single Test), never played county cricket. Which I found interesting because many players of his generation and talent would go over to England to collect large paychecks playing for minor counties against mediocre opposition.

Countless West Indians did it, Saqlain Mushtaq made a good living off of it, and DiVenuto and Cosgrove are the Australians that did it that immediately come to my mind. But not Jamie Siddons.

Also Siddons apparently played 2 games for the Sydney Swans in the AFL. Which I didn't know.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why did DiVenuto never play for Australia? He was pretty drat good in the Sheffield Shield.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why did DiVenuto never play for Australia? He was pretty drat good in the Sheffield Shield.

Didn’t most of his career basically overlap with the Waugh brothers, Ponting, Langer and Hayden?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

webmeister posted:

Didn’t most of his career basically overlap with the Waugh brothers, Ponting, Langer and Hayden?

Hmmm yeah hard to compete with them.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Di Venuto was a decent player, actually that's harsh he was a good player, but I don't think he'd have pulled up trees at test level. Would very likely have been a competent middle order batter, 36-38 average kinda player but no better imho.

Stuart Law is the incredible one. 27,000 first class runs at an average of 50.52 including 79 hundreds. Dominated in Sheffield Shield and County Cricket year in year out for a decade. And only one test cap. Amazing really.

He made 54 not out in his only test innings too, against Sri Lanka in 1995.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 6, 2023

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Australia having a chance in the third test has to be partly due to the wicket being more randomly prepared than not. If the BCCI had its organisation better, it likely would have been more finely tuned towards Indian preferences.

I am surprised Stuart Law didn't play more test matches, his name is familiar enough that I thought he was a minor part of the team, not just one game! Beven got far more cricket but even he didn't seem to get a good a crack as what he deserved.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The Australian team of that era was just something else.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I am surprised Stuart Law didn't play more test matches, his name is familiar enough that I thought he was a minor part of the team, not just one game! Beven got far more cricket but even he didn't seem to get a good a crack as what he deserved.

I dunno, Bevan had a pretty ordinary test career as I remember it, I don’t think he ever even scored a century?

And although he was a fantastic finisher in ODIs, I remember there were definitely times he protected his average by not getting out chasing an improbable target.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sam Curran again being an enigma by taking the two openers and then being thumped around a bit.

Bit rough on the new spinner, but at least he got a wicket. Still, he's 18, he'll bounce.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Bevan was poo poo.

Had an entire career/reputation built on one shot. A four straight down the ground off the last ball to win a meaningless ODI. The bowler was Roger Harper, if I remember rightly. And whilst he wasn't Dhoni-esque selfish as a "finisher", his average is sure as hell inflated by his many not outs.

But I think he did get a test century in Adelaide. Forget against who. Probably England.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 6, 2023

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

goatface posted:

Sam Curran again being an enigma by taking the two openers and then being thumped around a bit.

Bit rough on the new spinner, but at least he got a wicket. Still, he's 18, he'll bounce.

Bangers are a decent side. I think they've done a nice job of integrating Rehann into lower pressure situations, feels like he'll get more positives than negatives out of this

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Bevan was poo poo.

Had an entire career/reputation built on one shot. A four straight down the ground off the last ball to win a meaningless ODI. The bowler was Roger Harper, if I remember rightly. And whilst he wasn't Dhoni-esque selfish as a "finisher", his average is sure as hell inflated by his many not outs.

But I think he did get a test century in Adelaide. Forget against who. Probably England.

Nah I just checked, six ODI centuries but no Test centuries.
And I know it was a different era but man, a career strike rate of 75 in ODIs sounds comically low these days. There's even an exhilarating 24 off 83 balls in a run chase vs Pakistan that Australia surprisingly didn't win!

But on the other hand.. THE LAST BALL CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Bevan was poo poo.

Nope, highest score of 91, in his 2nd test against Pakistan.

Although he did make a 85* vs the windies in Adelaide, you're probably thinking of that.

And he did more than that one odi innings.

There is also this one against NZ https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/vb-series-2001-02-61098/australia-vs-new-zealand-10th-match-65624/full-scorecard

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Average of 29.07 in tests, wtf Bevo I thought you were better than that :smith:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Sam Curran at 5 is definitely a choice

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's sometimes v good with the bat.

Sometimes.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Average of 29.07 in tests, wtf Bevo I thought you were better than that :smith:

Struggled against the short ball in tests. He was probably a better bowler than batsman in tests. His strike rate was excellent.

He did win us a lot of Odis though. He definitely wasn't poo poo, that is absurd.

Airstream Driver fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 6, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

He's sometimes v good with the bat.

Sometimes.

Today: Not his best work.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think they're going to win this.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

goatface posted:

I don't think they're going to win this.

Seems unlikely. Though I think Shakib is bowled out

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Bevan was poo poo.

Deranged take

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's early days, but the Mumbai Indians in the WPL look like a pretty scary team

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
albo will make sure our boys win

https://twitter.com/plalor/status/1632981553566318592?s=20

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Wait it’s literally called the Narendra Modi stadium?!

edit; lmao it is

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

When is albo getting his own stadium?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Grade Cricketer podcast had Ramachandra Guha and he did a nice job talking about the relationship between the BJP and BCCI. Like most normal people, he is a very anti-Modi, and so it was a good listen.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Brave thing to admit in modern India.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Yeah he talked about that too. He's a pretty well established historian/public intellectual so I guess he feels protected from it but he talked about how all the Australian and Indian former players won't say poo poo because they know it might gently caress with their IPL/commentating money. Combined with what Gideon Haigh has been writing about it's an interesting window into how important cricket is to the BJP and how their involvement will likely stagnate the national program because of a cronyism and lack of oversight. Personally, I find the whole thing fascinating and insane.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Aren't Modi fans like insane?

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

They're going to bring in 75k of his supporters for the 1st day. They want a record crowd. Who was the last active leader to have a stadium named after themselves? Saddam Hussein? Stalin?

Seems cool and good.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Shane Warne Stadium

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Yes. A thousand times yes.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

They're nazis op

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Usually you get insane nazis at football matches. Hopefully cricket nazis are a bit more civilized.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Are pogroms against muslims considered civilised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Shane Warne Stadium

Shane Warne was a lot of things but I don’t think he was a religious or ethnic supremacist

At least that I know of