Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not a historical fact, because it's current, but in the Finnish language, people are always referred to as it, except for:

- babies
- professional athletes
- one's husband who one hates
- dogs
- cats
- one's friend who one hates
.. soooo. You classify "dogs" and "cats" at "some kind of people", right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

.. soooo. You classify "dogs" and "cats" at "some kind of people", right?

As much as babies and athletes.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Human beings are se ("it"), the listed things are hän ("he/she").
So you use gendered pronouns for babies, but not for adults? That's wild.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Woebin posted:

So you use gendered pronouns for babies, but not for adults? That's wild.

We don't use gendered pronouns at all as there are none.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

We don't use gendered pronouns at all as there are none.
Right, sorry, I misread your explanation. But if "hän" translates as "he/she", isn't that kind of gendered in the sense that it indicates the person/creature/thing has one of two genders although it's not specified which?

I'm Swedish, and we sort of took your "hän" and turned it into "hen", which is used as a neutral pronoun - both for non-binary folks and when you don't know the gender of someone or you're speaking more generally so gender isn't specified (so pretty much like singular "they" in English).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Woebin posted:

Right, sorry, I misread your explanation. But if "hän" translates as "he/she", isn't that kind of gendered in the sense that it indicates the person/creature/thing has one of two genders although it's not specified which?

No.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Sounds to me like "he/she" is an inaccurate translation, then.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Woebin posted:

Sounds to me like "he/she" is an inaccurate translation, then.

OK? I'm not an English.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

You can also read it as "they", but that too would be incorrect as Finnish doesn't pay attention to someone's gender at all, not even to underline being neutral about it. The division is between "persons" (hän) and everything else (se), but colloquially everything gets grouped as "se", except the aforementioned groups - Jerry did forget to mention that "hän" also is used for relatives one is on contentious terms with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You Finns sure are a contentious people.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Woebin posted:

I'm Swedish, and we sort of took your "hän" and turned it into "hen", which is used as a neutral pronoun
No. A Hen is a female chicken.

Wipfmetz has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Mar 6, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

No. A Hen is a female chicken.

That's hön, actually.

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012
In Irish, stail ("stallion") is grammatically feminine. Báid ("boats") are grammatically masculine but referred to with the pronoun (s)í ("she/her"). Cailín ("girl, girlfriend") is also grammatically masculine, but for human referrents speakers are allowed to change the pronouns to match the human's actual gender.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

German also has this. Man and Junge (boy) use the masculine 'der', woman (Frau) uses the feminine 'die', but Mädchen (girl) uses the neuter 'das', because everything that has the diminutive suffix 'chen' is always neuter.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Red Bones posted:

German also has this. Man and Junge (boy) use the masculine 'der', woman (Frau) uses the feminine 'die', but Mädchen (girl) uses the neuter 'das', because everything that has the diminutive suffix 'chen' is always neuter.
This saved me when I I was learning Dutch and couldn't remember what was gendered or not. Diminutive everything so I could use 'het' (or plurals, so 'de' comes into play).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CHIMlord posted:

In Irish, stail ("stallion") is grammatically feminine. Báid ("boats") are grammatically masculine but referred to with the pronoun (s)í ("she/her").

Why do I get the feeling there's entire venerable genres of jokes revolving around this?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

bring back the frug, thanks

also regarding grammatical gender, lots of languages do it in ways that make no logical sense because they retained old holdovers from PIE or other precursor languages. Slavic languages, for example, have not only grammatical gender but some also have animacy (Polish even goes further into virility) which changes the inflected nouns. But it’s sometimes not linked to the actual thing the noun describes, it’s just morphology.

The real trick in Slavic languages isn’t gender though, it’s learning to only use 3 tenses and to use verbal aspect to convey the same effect as English tenses.

NoiseAnnoys has a new favorite as of 08:49 on Mar 7, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Next you'll tell me hetero frenchmen aren't constantly courting tables and doors because grammatical gender isn't the same as gender and everyone who speaks a language with it instantly knows it isn't, but it's real funny in english because hahahaha the table is a girl lmao bad dumb language

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gendered language is so, so dumb.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

And yet anglos still refer to their ships by feminine pronouns. Curious. :thunk:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Next you'll tell me hetero frenchmen aren't constantly courting tables and doors

Like bullshit they're not

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would not put it past the Fr*nch.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like bullshit they're not

There's a reason French for "I love you" is "shut the door"

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Perestroika posted:

And yet anglos still refer to their ships by feminine pronouns. Curious. :thunk:

That's just because of the little man in the boat.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Perestroika posted:

Boat guys, famously a normal type of guy who definitely don’t gently caress boats.

Calling English-speakers “anglos” just seems weird to me. Is it supposed to be analogous to latinos? Will there be some subgroup insisting that it should be “anglx”?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

Boat guys, famously a normal type of guy who definitely don’t gently caress boats.

Calling English-speakers “anglos” just seems weird to me. Is it supposed to be analogous to latinos? Will there be some subgroup insisting that it should be “anglx”?

It's from Anglo-Saxon, from which the name English is derived. The Angles and Saxons were two groups from northern Germany and southern Denmark who moved into Britain after the Romans pulled out.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Deteriorata posted:

It's from Anglo-Saxon, from which the name English is derived. The Angles and Saxons were two groups from northern Germany and southern Denmark who moved into Britain after the Romans pulled out.

No, I know that. I just find it weird to use it to mean English-speakers.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Weird. I never considered calling somebody "anglo".
But now, after this discussion, "english-speakers" reads like some cumbersome politcally correct term for "anglos".

Wipfmetz has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Mar 8, 2023

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

It's real weird because anglo is more often used to mean white person, which gives the impression that the speaker is dismissing poc anglophones

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

Latino is pretty weird in that case. They don't speak Latin.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anglo is a good substitute for Englishmen because the "men" bit is a bit too humanising.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

thetoughestbean posted:

I have mostly heard the term used by south Americans and afaik the term originated there, so seeing it as analogue to latino is not wrong.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

thetoughestbean posted:

Will there be some subgroup insisting that it should be “anglx”?

Anglosax, of course

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

To me, Anglos refers to the UK and its former settler colonies (USA, Canada, Australia, etc). It's a lot more limited than English speakers: I'd never call an Indian or Nigerian person an Anglo. But same for an Irish person, so it's not simply skincolor based.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anglo is reserved for the absolute joke countries that pretend to be modern states but still show worship to a queen on their currency. Americans are not Anglos.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Gaius Marius posted:

Anglo is reserved for the absolute joke countries that pretend to be modern states but still show worship to a queen on their currency. Americans are not Anglos.

Is the correct term for Americans, projectors?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Traditionally, Anglo is a Latin prefix specifically applied to Britain by historians. The Anglo-Dutch War or Anglo-American relations or Anglo-French cooperation or whatever.

Anglophones are English-speakers collectively. The economy/culture/interests of England and its English-speaking allies is the Anglosphere.

Deteriorata has a new favorite as of 05:42 on Mar 8, 2023

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

The USA were founded by WASP and WASP are still the dominant group from a cultural, political and economical perspective. Yanks are absolutely Anglos

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i've seen "anglo-american" to refer to the general US/canada cultural continuum, as an equivalent to "latin-american"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Bourricot posted:

The USA were founded by WASP and WASP are still the dominant group from a cultural, political and economical perspective. Yanks are absolutely Anglos

I’m of German and Italian descent and was raised Catholic—where would I fall here? Would I be an anglo?